Harvey's Employee Reviews in Canada

A great beginners job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  8865 Yonge StreetJune 21, 2016
Harvey's is a great workplace which cross trains employees to be able to do several jobs such as grill, fryer, garnisher, and cashier. My workplace is full of great people including amazing managers. Although some days can be fast-paced and somewhat stressful, it is a great learning experience! I have learned how to work quickly yet productive, how to resolve conflicts, and how to talk to customers. My favourite part of the job was making people happy. Overall, this is a great job but I am now looking for something more geared towards my field in animal care.
Pros
great job experience
A Good First Job
STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work included opening the restaurant. My duties were to clean out the fryers and grill, prepping all condiments and supplies, counting the cash tills and assigning my co-workers with a position for the day. During the day I would switch between cashier, garnish and grill, depending on how busy it was at each station. I would also close the restaurant. My duties including cleaning all machines and tools, packing and storing all condiments and supplies, counting the cash tills, making the bank deposit and locking up the restaurant. Although, I would usually open and close the restaurant for most of my shifts. This job taught me how to be fast on my feet and gave me extensive leadership skills. The hardest part of the job was the conditions I had to work in. When the restaurant got very busy the environment got very hot and humid which made it difficult to work in. The most enjoyable part of this job was the amazing and outgoing guests I would meet everyday.
Pros
The challenging and fast-pace environment.
Cons
Environment Conditions.
Gives opportunities to deal with new people everyday.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 9, 2016
Working at HARVEY's is new and different experience. Earlier i was doing office job but at Harvey's physical and presence of mind is required because we have to focus on best customer service we can give and quality control as well. Working in a team is fun but sometimes very challenging.
The hardest part of job is when your customer not satisfied with your service, to deal with that situation and make your customer happy is sometimes tedious task.
The most enjoyable part of the job working with different people and dealing with different kind of people.
Pros
Exposure by customer service management
Cons
Food industry is very challenging
Fast paced workplace
CASHIER AND KITCHEN MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONMay 25, 2016
A typical day at Harvey's is busy. Be prepared to always be doing something; whether that's prepping ingredients, cleaning, serving, or washing dishes.
The hardest part of the job is some customers will purposely give you a hard time, but alternatively being able to serve so many people happiness via food is a big plus.
Pros
Fast paced and busy
Cons
Too much to do with sometimes too little staff
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ONApril 10, 2016
When arriving at work, I would check the position chart to see which station I would be working at. Through out the day we have task we have to complete before 3 pm which included cleaning bathrooms, food preparation, sweep and mop our lobby. If I was working for dinner as well I would have certain tasks to complete before my shift had ended. The team and management were excellent to work with, we worked together as a team, and treated each other like family.
my work wasnt that fun because everyone was at each other
Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
my typical day at work consist of my showing up waiting for my shift to start and when my shifts start i go on, its usually not busy for 5 minutes but after five minutes its gets really busy and the management is poor because they always yell at people for know reason. but what i mostly enjoy about this job is pay day.
Pros
50% og food
Cons
barely any hours
Harvey's
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, OnAugust 6, 2015
I enjoyed working here and I loved my coworkers. Sadly I had to leave to attend school. The hours were consistent. Not so flexible. Opportunity for advancement. Very clean work environment.
Pros
Consistent hours
Cons
no benefits
okay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ONAugust 15, 2016
okay job for students.

hardest part: people i work for. long days. people gossiping.

i have learned better math skills and people skills. don't like going for a 3 hour shift when it takes me a 1/2 hour to get to work.

people getting mad when you call in sick.
Pros
able to pay my bills
Cons
stressful environment
Seasonal employment, and very unorganized management
Cashier/Cook/Garnisher (Former Employee) –  Brock UniversityJuly 30, 2016
Management staff were very unorganized, and the treatment of staff was completely biased based on who they actually liked, and you'd be given positions daily based on if they liked you or not..
Pros
Flexible with school
Cons
Bad management
Good Co workers
Garnisher (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 5, 2016
Good Co workers made the shifts go better for me, there wasn't a whole lot of room for advancement I felt but then again I was only there for a short time.
Pros
Discounts on meals
Cons
Limited shifts at times due to needs of the business.
Good place to work at. Very good manager and staff
Garnisher/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Belleville, OntarioMay 2, 2016
My shifts were 3-4 hour shifts. I learned how fryers work but for the most part i already knew how to do a lot of things Harvey's asked me to do already. Management was very good and organized. Staff was nice. Hard part, garnishing is tough if you have to do it for an hour or more. Enjoyable part was the staff
Productive and fun workplace
Frontline/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 9, 2016
My typical day here before was really stressful especially when it got busy and there is just 3 or 4 people working. Most of the time I can handle it but sometimes I just can't. They need to add more staffs so that we can work together as a team
Productive work place
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJuly 15, 2016
Harvey's is an good place to work where you will be working in a friendly and productive atmosphere. Supervisors are helpful and they encourages you a lot. It is a good place to learn new work experiences
Pros
interactive work place
Cons
Short hours
fast paced, friendly environment
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Very busy burst of customers
Learned to prepare various food item and to use a cash register
co workers were friendly and helpful
The hardest part of the job was to handle stubborn customers when I had no authority
The most enjoyable parts was interacting with customers and getting discounted food
Pros
Discount of food, meeting new people, gaining experience
Cons
Constantly cleaning the mensroom, having rude customers
fun place to work and free food
Cash Register (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 30, 2016
usually busy everyday and you learn how to cook and socialize with lots of people. There's a lot of teamwork involved when working. the hardest part of the job is when we have rushes it gets kinda crazy. the most enjoyable part of the job is cooking the food.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
30 min. breaks
Fast paced and busy environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  3543 Wyecroft Rd Oakville, ONJune 22, 2016
- Managing the floor
- Keeping the restaurant clean
- Fixing or replacing damaged equipment
- Plumbing experience
- Hardest part disciplining the staff when an error occurred
Pros
Experience
Cons
Managing teenangers
Harveys is a great workplace experience for workers to start in.
Crew Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Harvey is a great experience for beginner workers, it is not a very hard workplace, depending on the steadiness of the day, it can get busy. Co-workers are great and always willing to help when needed, management is very generous and understanding. Hardest part of the job may be the grill, also depending on the rush.
Good for my first job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 10, 2016
Great as a starting job. You learn basic skills and have a great start when is come to working with customers. Can be stressful during rushes. Can take a lot of time, as Harveys has long hours of operation.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Understaffed
fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ONMay 2, 2016
fast paced environment, fun, a good first job to teach you how the workforce operates. although the weekly schedule was usually late making it difficult to balance your personal life.
Pros
50% discount on meals during shift
Cons
poor scheduling
Busyplace
Cashier and Line head (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 4, 2016
Got a lot of new experience. They give chances to new people and help them accomodate. Understanding employers
Pros
FREE DRINKS
Cons
NO BREAKS