Harvey's Employee Reviews

Bad managment but fun job
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 March 2017
I had fun with this job until they decided to switch over management positions that is when everyone quit and it all started to go downhill. The work experience was good and they also trained well which was a bonus
Good first job, friendly work environment
Made my way from associate to manager (Current Employee) –  Keswick, ON22 March 2017
Harvey's taught me many skills that I will take with me in any job that may come my way. Management has taught me how to handle working in a high-stress environment while also maintaining a friendly and positive attitude.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 March 2017
free lunches and dinner i gained weight. had to clean the customers washroom , moping which i hated mostly. long hours standing no rest dish washing was thr worst part
Starter job and nothing more
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 March 2017
Barely any room for advancement and compensation is very poor. Uncleanly working conditions and extremely high standards for staff and how far minimum wage compensation actually goes. Little to no appreciation or positive re-encouragement.
Pros
flexible working schedule
Cons
unorganized environment, poor working conditions, unappreciative owner
It is fast food. meh
Cook (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 February 2017
Hate fast food jobs, avoid at all cost unless you just need a quick part time job. Hopefully it works out well but usually it's just a first job or quick fix
Not that great
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON20 February 2017
Low pay high stress, started out with free lunches which was a plus, but then I was only allowed one item off the menu for free? Also, Owner gives Police 50% off food, but staff only get 20% off, and no other Emergency service gets discount. Also practically ran the store and trained the new General Manager for only $12.50
Pros
Nice people
Cons
It was ok but not for me
Storefront Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON17 February 2017
I enjoyed harvey's at first but then did not like it. very fast paced environment. the co workers where great but they didn't have very flexible hours.
Friendly, Great experience, and awesome staff members
Cashier/Customer Service/Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2017
Working at Harvey's was a great experience for a first job. However, it's not a place I would work in permanently. The staff members were very friendly when I was working there. Learning a lot about the food over there was also great. If you are thinking of applying to Harvey's, I say you should. It's very beneficial and you get to learn a lot more plus the experience over there was great.
Pros
discounts for food.
Cons
Lack of hours.
great palce to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 February 2017
great people n great food. very friendly n welcoming.. clean. fast paced. wonderful boss and. all around great place to work
Unpleasent place to work
Cashier and Sandwich garnisher (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC31 January 2017
Clean trays, mop floors, garnish the hamburgers, wraps, and hotdogs. People i worked with did not know how to train me so I had to learn on my own. Manager was strange. You must be able to work under pressure and be okay with customers watching you as you garnish the food.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Boring
Wouldn't recommend long term.
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 January 2017
The better paying of any fast food restaurants in Guelph. Although they promise full-time hours (40/week) but you're lucky if you receive 30/week. Staff is a bunch of 24+ year old high schoolers who have no respect for coworkers or customers. However the owners are very nice and definitely the best part of working there.
good place to work
Garnisher and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2017
its a goodplace to work, free lunches. good people to work with. very secure job. customers are good. clean enivornment. management is good.
Really Supportive Work Environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
I really loved working at Harvey's. As much fun as it was to work with my particular team, the customer was always the focus. We had regulars we knew by name and always made lasting relationships with new faces. It was a really productive environment to work in and helped build strong work ethic for me.
Pros
Half price food!
Cons
Difficult to advance
Good place, needs better managment
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON2 January 2017
Fun place to work. Good hours. Managment was rude and hard on employees. No one stayed for more then a couple months. Pays were always held for a few days longer then what pay day was.
first real job
Cashier/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON2 January 2017
my day started early and worked late I learned how to properly serve customers I found management was tacky and not punctual I found co-workers very nice and understanding
Horrible place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2016
The owners run the place and work the morning shift. The Husband is really kind and a nice guy but the wife is really rude, mean and a generally impossible person to work with if you aren't completely detached from your emotions. DO NOT WORK WITH THIS PLACE!!!!!
Only upside is that some of the supervisors are total sweet hearted people and worth hanging out with for their knowledge, skill and positive attitudes.
Fun job
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON22 December 2016
Was my first real job. Was a lot of fun. Really liked my supervisor. He taught me a lot and helped me not be so shy and nervous. Some people could be mean when they had to wait but that was ok.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier and Garnish (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 December 2016
I would take cashier position in the morning and help garnish orders. Helping customers decide what items appeal to them and preparing orders. In the afternoon I would take drive thru, where i would take drive through orders and gather food items for the customer. Throughout the day, I would do garbages every 3-4 hours and sweep dining areas when possible. The hardest part of the job was memorizing new menu's. The most enjoyable part were my co-workers, we were very close and felt like one big Harvey's family.
Pros
Co-workers like family
Cons
Rush Hours
poor management
Cashier /Grill Master (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 December 2016
management was very poor and unappreciative when i was working there lots of screw ups with the pay and schedule. i did not like working there
A demoralizing survival job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 November 2016
I worked at the Harvey's Cottrelle / Airport branch in Brampton. This job is suitable for anyone who's up for the challenges of working in a fast food but most especially for young people and those who need a reality check, since this job will highly test and build up your character and patience. This job had taught me essential life lessons that I will bring with me until I get old. I have never worked in this kind of environment before and it is a humbling experience.

I liked working here mainly for the customers and the sense of responsibility that it gave me. I quit this job for something more stable. Majority of the customers in this branch are anywhere from polite to alright and trust me, they are not the problem. It's the people working here.

Many workers in this branch come off as ill-mannered and impatient, and I'm not sure if due to language and culture barrier, that they don't really mean to, or if they were just never raised to know what mutual respect is. I mean, they are nice to customers and all. It's just they have no time for that business with them meek and timid coworkers. I'm mainly referring to the shift managers.

The shift managers are insecure as so if anyone wants to work here, learn how to deal with them because if you don't, they will single you out and mock you in their language. 90% of the workers here speak the same foreign language. They think they're so sleek with their shady selves.

The old-timers, like the shift managers, are easily threatened by newer staff members who exude top qualities and credentials, so keep a low profile
  more... if you're new unless you can play with their childish games.

They expect someone who has no fast food experience to be a fast food worker extraordinaire in a matter of 2 weeks despite the insufficient training. I had no idea what the frig I was doing through my first few weeks at Harvey's so I was always at the receiving end of their humiliation and scrutiny. On a good note, they are intensely passionate about a job that pays so low, but come on, it's not that serious... Lol...

The overall branch manager is another thing I'm not fond of. He has a temper and he needs to reassess how he talks to his people. I truly believe he has a good side to him, he just doesn't know how to show it with finesse.

Going back to the language barrier, a lot of people here communicate in an incoherent way that only they can understand and they question your intelligence when you don't understand the way they speak. I have mentally listed how certain people say certain things to avoid this.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good starting point if you're seeking a career in the food industry
Cons
The demoralizing treatment that you receive when you're not performing well, no medical and dental, the hours

2.9