Harvey's Employee Reviews

Really Supportive Work Environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
I really loved working at Harvey's. As much fun as it was to work with my particular team, the customer was always the focus. We had regulars we knew by name and always made lasting relationships with new faces. It was a really productive environment to work in and helped build strong work ethic for me.
Pros
Half price food!
Cons
Difficult to advance
first real job
Cashier/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON2 January 2017
my day started early and worked late I learned how to properly serve customers I found management was tacky and not punctual I found co-workers very nice and understanding
Horrible place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2016
The owners run the place and work the morning shift. The Husband is really kind and a nice guy but the wife is really rude, mean and a generally impossible person to work with if you aren't completely detached from your emotions. DO NOT WORK WITH THIS PLACE!!!!!
Only upside is that some of the supervisors are total sweet hearted people and worth hanging out with for their knowledge, skill and positive attitudes.
Fun job
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON22 December 2016
Was my first real job. Was a lot of fun. Really liked my supervisor. He taught me a lot and helped me not be so shy and nervous. Some people could be mean when they had to wait but that was ok.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier and Garnish (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 December 2016
I would take cashier position in the morning and help garnish orders. Helping customers decide what items appeal to them and preparing orders. In the afternoon I would take drive thru, where i would take drive through orders and gather food items for the customer. Throughout the day, I would do garbages every 3-4 hours and sweep dining areas when possible. The hardest part of the job was memorizing new menu's. The most enjoyable part were my co-workers, we were very close and felt like one big Harvey's family.
Pros
Co-workers like family
Cons
Rush Hours
poor management
Cashier /Grill Master (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 December 2016
management was very poor and unappreciative when i was working there lots of screw ups with the pay and schedule. i did not like working there
A demoralizing survival job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 November 2016
I worked at the Harvey's Cottrelle / Airport branch in Brampton. This job is suitable for anyone who's up for the challenges of working in a fast food but most especially for young people and those who need a reality check, since this job will highly test and build up your character and patience. This job had taught me essential life lessons that I will bring with me until I get old. I have never worked in this kind of environment before and it is a humbling experience.

I liked working here mainly for the customers and the sense of responsibility that it gave me. I quit this job for something more stable. Majority of the customers in this branch are anywhere from polite to alright and trust me, they are not the problem. It's the people working here.

Many workers in this branch come off as ill-mannered and impatient, and I'm not sure if due to language and culture barrier, that they don't really mean to, or if they were just never raised to know what mutual respect is. I mean, they are nice to customers and all. It's just they have no time for that business with them meek and timid coworkers. I'm mainly referring to the shift managers.

The shift managers are insecure as so if anyone wants to work here, learn how to deal with them because if you don't, they will single you out and mock you in their language. 90% of the workers here speak the same foreign language. They think they're so sleek with their shady selves.

The old-timers, like the shift managers, are easily threatened by newer staff members who exude top qualities and credentials, so keep a low profile
  more... if you're new unless you can play with their childish games.

They expect someone who has no fast food experience to be a fast food worker extraordinaire in a matter of 2 weeks despite the insufficient training. I had no idea what the frig I was doing through my first few weeks at Harvey's so I was always at the receiving end of their humiliation and scrutiny. On a good note, they are intensely passionate about a job that pays so low, but come on, it's not that serious... Lol...

The overall branch manager is another thing I'm not fond of. He has a temper and he needs to reassess how he talks to his people. I truly believe he has a good side to him, he just doesn't know how to show it with finesse.

Going back to the language barrier, a lot of people here communicate in an incoherent way that only they can understand and they question your intelligence when you don't understand the way they speak. I have mentally listed how certain people say certain things to avoid this.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good starting point if you're seeking a career in the food industry
Cons
The demoralizing treatment that you receive when you're not performing well, no medical and dental, the hours
Not the greatest experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 November 2016
This is a great job for someone who needs job experience, as the owners are willing to hire all walks of life. Along with this my co-workers were very kind, inviting, and there is a community environment.
Although this job had it's perks there was many down falls... Hours were not often evenly spread out among staff, and the manager never seemed to listen to our complaints. There are also some very harsh rules set in place over switching, and booking off shifts.
Pros
Good work experience
Good student job
Associate (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON23 November 2016
Lots of fighting between management; hardly any room for advancement; always something to do; good, fun coworkers; lots of incentives; perfect for a student as long as they don't mind late hours
Too much DRAMA!
CASHIER/GARNISHER/COOK (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 November 2016
The management consisted of managers whom would specifically hire friends, and in turn, would cause a lot of drama in the workplace. Almost got to the point where I couldn't handle the job anymore.
Horrifying
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 November 2016
From a personal experience i did not enjoy working at Harvey's. The staff were great people but the owner was a pain. He would mentally abuse workers and never gave any raises. He would also refuse to acknowledge the fact the once someone is 18 they must be paid minimum wage!
Pros
Going home
Cons
not a bad place to start
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON4 November 2016
harveys was a great place for me to start and gain valuable skills that i needed in order for me to appeal to other brands and to get the job experience i needed.
Pros
discount in multiple stores
Cons
short shifts
Fun to work with
Food Attendant (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB1 November 2016
I love my co-workers here. Unfortunately i found another job that will enhance my skills and interest. In addition to that I need a job that will compensate me well.
poor manage mangement
Cashier /Grill Master (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 October 2016
company had poor management people were always quitting and new staff being brought in.. no flow between the coworkers. easy job to learn
Great job, hard working but friendly co workers
Fryer/Grill/Cash /Drive thru (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2016
The hardest part of the job was ensuring every order was always perfect. I enjoyed helping customers a lot. The co workers were amazing people. Also the management was very friendly and were flexible wit hours when needed.
Fast paced,everyone works as a team
Cashier/ Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON4 September 2016
In the morning it is steady until it is lunch time then it get very busy and fae paced.All employees help each other in which ever way they can to ensure every customer leaves the store satisfied. In between orders the dinning area has to be stocked and cleaned as well as check and change the garbage.The store slows down until the dinner rush.Mid afternoon is usually the time employees stock up and do small task around the store. that is usually typical day at work for the morning shift.
Pros
discount on all CARA stores
Cons
Good Management to work with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON31 August 2016
It is good company to work with. The management is really very nice. The most enjoyable part of work is the co-workers are really very nice and helpful.
I love all my jobs and co-workers very nice and kind people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Royal York & Queensway21 August 2016
I guess everyday is the same work is work right just work hard because i feel when you work hard and fast days past by very quick.
When you make mistakes you`ll fix it and learned new things everyday
Co-workers some people say sometimes its hard to meet new people or work with people at your work I think it`s maybe because we`re new and some people are different we just got to communicate and socialize with co-workers getting to know one another is a good way to work happy and feel good everyday at work.
The hardest part is in the beginning I am very shy but in a week i will get used to everyone I am very nice and an honest person
The most enjoyable part of the job is doing what you love makes you happy!!
Pros
I make my own lunch
Cons
long short im okay with either
okay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON15 August 2016
okay job for students.

hardest part: people i work for. long days. people gossiping.

i have learned better math skills and people skills. don't like going for a 3 hour shift when it takes me a 1/2 hour to get to work.

people getting mad when you call in sick.
Pros
able to pay my bills
Cons
stressful environment
Fast paced workplace, can be stressful.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK10 August 2016
Most days have lunch and supper rushes, so during that time you are trying to remain calm while you have a line up to the door.
Most co workers are fine, but the management is family, so it makes it more difficult on the teammates because if they have a problem with a supervisor behaviour, they cannot go to the General Manager and complain.
I used to love this job until new supervisors came and started to treat us badly.
Pros
50% off meals

2.9