A fantastic career opportunity on beautiful Salt Spring Island in Canada's only farm-to-table hotel.
The Harbour House Hotel is located in the main town of Ganges with a spectacular view of the harbour. It has its own 2.5 acre organic farm which supplies the restaurant with over 70 varieties of produce as well as lamb, eggs, honey & maple syrup. Food is prepared in-house as much as possible utilizing the farm and local suppliers. As a result, the restaurant is gaining a fine reputation for farm-to-table food.
The restaurant & lounge can seat 123 people and has outdoor seating for another 78. Banquet facilities are available for over 200 people. The hotel itself has 38 guest rooms to populate the restaurant. There is live entertainment on the weekends while daily tours of the farm serve to promote the restaurant. Preserves and baked goods from the kitchen are sold on the farm stand. The Farm and kitchen work closely together to create a unique experience for our guests and diners.
For more information, visit our website at www.saltspringharbourhouse.com.
This is a full-time position which requires a creative, hard-working person with a passion for farm-to-table cuisine. It's a hands-on position whereby the chef is scheduled to cook on the line or do food prep. He/She is expected to lead by example.
The Head Chef is in charge of all kitchen-related items which include, but is not limited to:
- recipe & menu costing
- menu pricing in liaison with the Food & Beverage Manager
- menu preparation and event planning in liaison with the Events Co-ordinator
- assisting with food preparation and event catering
- achieving & maintaining a high standard of food quality, preparation & cleanliness
- maintaining food inventory
- ordering & receiving of supplies
- hiring, training & disciplining of kitchen staff
- maintaining quality controls, food costs & portion controls
- scheduling of staff & submission of work hours to Payroll Department
- creating a team environment in the kitchen with employees who are also passionate about the farm-to-table movement
- Red Seal qualification
- Food Safe certification
- a passion for farm-to-table cuisine
- minimum of 3-5 years experience in a culinary supervisory position in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- strong problem-solving skills
- self-motivated and able to motivate others
- ability to multi-task
- good decision-making skills
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- able to work cooperatively with the F&B Manager and the GM
$50,000 per annum plus benefits including dental for a 50-hour work week with an averaging agreement; share of kitchen gratuities
To apply, please send your resume by mail, email or fax.
By mail: 121 Upper Ganges Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2S2
By Email: reply to this Ad
By fax: 250-537-4618