PARENTAL SUPPORT PERSON OR COUPLE
Therapeutic Milieu Home
North Bay, Ontario
Hands TheFamiyHelpNetwork.ca is seeking the skills, experience and the significant commitment of a Parental Support Person or Couple for a new Therapeutic Milieu Home providing care to children and youth with complex special needs. The Therapeutic Milieu Home is scheduled to open in North Bay in August 2013. Reporting to an assigned Manager of the agency, the Parental Support Person or Couple) lives with residents in the home and is responsible for establishing a safe and supportive family environment that optimizes the growth and development of each resident. The Parental Support Person or Couple creates and monitors a family-like routine including the setting of boundaries, limits and structure for residents. As a mentor, the Parental Support Person or Couple works with the support team to implement an individualized service or care plan tailored to the needs of each resident. The Parental Support Person or Couple works in partnership with the custodial parent to oversee all aspects of the resident’s growth and development. The Parental Support Person or Couple is a member of the collaborative inter-professional team including community based services and supports and the education system, as appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- As an individual or as a couple, able to make a commitment to move into the new Therapeutic Milieu Home in North Bay, Ontario and live with residents with scheduled support from Youth Workers and scheduled personal time away from the home
- Bachelor level degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Work, Family and Child Studies, Child and Youth Care; or college diploma for Social Service Worker, Mental Health and Addictions, or Child and Youth Worker
- Over 10 years related experience including supporting children and youth with complex needs and their families, preferably in a residential setting
- Proven parenting skills
- Ability to form a trusting and supportive relationship with the custodial parent(s)
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in providing support to children and youth with complex needs including involvement and mentoring of custodial parents and family/kin
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of best practices as they are used within an individual service or care plan for a child or youth with complex special needs. These may include mental health, behavioural, autism, or developmental disabilities services.
- Sound understanding of the continuum of care available for children and youth with complex special needs in Nipissing and Muskoka.
- Ability to assess, plan and implement a personalized approach to service delivery within an inter professional team providing care and case management
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an inter-professional collaborative environment
- Able to manage a household and all associated resources, including a vehicle provided by the agency
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and innovation skills.
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Proven flexibility and able to make a significant time commitment
- Criminal reference check, including vulnerable sector check, for the individual or couple
- Bilingualism (English/French) essential
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and insurable under the agency’s policy
The salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Hands TheFamilyHelpNetwork.ca Services is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants but only those considered for
an interview will be contacted.
Please apply in writing, stating your availability and commitment to this position as well as your relevant experience and expertise. Please forward your application clearly, quoting competition #970-13, by 4 p.m. on July 15 2013 to:
Human Resource Manager
222 Main Street East
North Bay, Ontario P1B 1B1
Fax: (705) 495-1373
Indeed - 19 months ago