Hamilton Health Sciences

Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2016
Staffing needs to be addressed. Very minimal staff available with a very heavy workload. Pay is reasonable and benefits are exceptional. Would not necessarily recommend all of the floors
All were leading healthcare facilities
Customer Support Services Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 June 2016
I really enjoyed my work at HHS and established a respectful reputation with senior management, direct reports, the union representing labor and front line staff.
Pros
An incredible operational and management team
Cons
inequitable compensation amongst similar management positions
Enjoyable place to work
Business Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 October 2016
Hi
Worked at Hamilton Health Sciences (McMaster Division) for 27 years. I worked in Medical Records, Admitting and the Emergency Department. I have learned so many jobs in my career at the hospital. Have learned how to work with many personalities and professional staff. Most of all, learned how to deal with patients.Having the patience and compassion of people that come for your help. When someone has an important role dealing with the public, is to put yourself in there situation and treat them how you would expect to be treated.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting so many people and having good friends the rest of my life.
Pros
Medical knowledge
Cons
night shifts
Hhs
Rehabilitation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
I have worked there for just about a year now. All my co-workers have been friendly and very helpful.
The management team takes time out to recognize your efforts.
We deal with all different types of patients and it has proved challenging at times but I also find it rewarding in the sense I am part of a team who helps these patients in there recovery phase.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lack of available work
Great colleagues and meaningful work
Admin (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2017
Hamilton Health Sciences is a dynamic environment with solid management and smart, hard-working people. It is easy to interact with anyone at this organization as well as getting your work done.
My day at work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
I have learned that it is important to interact with fellow employees/colleagues at a person level and not to "work, work, work" all day long. It is important to laugh as well. The result is that more productivity occurs. The hardest part of the job is taking some time out to not take the job too seriously and getting the job done in a timely manner.
Pros
Friendships that can be made
Cons
If you do the job well, others rely on you to help them
Too Much change
SharePoint- Data Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 February 2017
Company has MGMT flaws.. Too many people going in and out.

Unfortunately it is an aging working class that tend to complain about their job rather then DO their job. I can only speak from my experience but outside of union employees you may lose your hair wondering where/if your job will exist tomorrow.

Overall structure seems to be changing.
great place to work, with lots of opportunity for growth
Emergency Department Business Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 February 2017
enriching environment, with lots of opportunity to learn. always something new and challenging happening in the department. room to grow and advance within the company.
Critical Care Data Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 March 2016
Wonderful work environment, loved my managers, coworkers and the patients at McMaster Children's Hospital.
Salary is very competitive, the only thing I would like to see change is the number of casual employees they hire to avoid paying benefits.
Government owned
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 March 2016
High salary, lots of benefits, but too much politics. Hours are limited if you are casual part-time. I used to love the 8 hours shift, but for me, 12 hours is too much.
Great group of people to work with
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
Love the group of people I work with. Work is exciting and completely innovative. Great relationship betweeen staff and physician group. Tend to be understaffed most shifts though.
Excellent employer to work for - except Salary/Advancement
IT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 March 2012
Can't speak of all departments but IT overall is good. Good benefits but very little opportunities for advancement. Employees have been working for some10/20/30 years - at times in the same position. Avg possibly over 10 years. Job is quite secure. Management is good. Salary is bad, really bad in IT - other areas in healthcare can make a lot. Tax funded so no bonuses. A lot of learning opportunities. Co-workers are friendly. Job is not as stressful as it would be in a private company.

Overall an excellent employer if you can live happy while making less.
Pros
benefits, job security, work/life balance, flex working hours, learning opportunities
Cons
compensation
Posting resume
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 September 2016
Working in the Imaging Library my day consists of importing/consulting images into our PACS system. Majority of these requests are for the Juravinski Cancer Center. AS well, answering phones, faxing reports to requesting physicians office, burning images for patients who have specialist appointments outside of the HHSC Corpoaration
Hamilton
Resident Physician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 November 2016
Not many comments on Hamilton. HHS hospitals are often crowded, smelled, slow in providing care, But they are the major hospitals in Hamilton. Hamilton is not a fancy town.
Good staff there, nice teamwork
Registered Respiratory Therapist- Pediatric (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 August 2016
Enjoying working with the other RRTs at McMaster Children's, it's a tight knit group, very supportive of each other.
Workload seems to be well balanced, probably more staffing in the winter would be better for respiratory illness season.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Shift work hours
Hamilton Health Sciences
Program Secretary, Cardiac and Vascular Program (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 April 2016
Good pension
Opportunities for advancement.
Depending on the position, the environment can be at times very challenging to work in.
Always cutbacks in positions.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Environment, long hours, under appreciated
Hhs
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 November 2015
-Great workplace
-Difficult to secure full time employment
-There is a variety of interesting people to get to know
-Great pay and benefits
Very slow paced and a lot of politics involved if you are working with the engineering department
Plumber (Former Employee) –  McMaster Hospital28 April 2015
This is the type of job for someone who is not very ambitious in my opinion. It is a lot of sitting around and pretending to be busy and waitin for things to go wrong. Have to deal with the everyday drama of other employees
Pros
Good benefits, pension
Cons
Boring
Job did not match my skill set. Isolated culture
Administrative/Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2015
Pros: Great benefits and hospital environment

Cons: Poor management and environment

Administrative/conference planning and HR were more data entry
Great place to work with but chances of moving up are limited.
Inventory / Desktop Deployment. (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2013
Great place to work with but chances of moving up are limited.
Pros
Salary, Staff, Location Culture.
Cons
Chances of moving up are limited.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hamilton Health Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

Hamilton Health Sciences Reviews by Location