Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

My day at work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2017
A typical day at work is when I arrive I review my calendar to see if any new requests have come in and then I decide how to prioritize my day. Specific days require specific work completion by myself and from time to time I need to change it up if there are any urgent requests.

I continuously learn and I am eager to learn something different every day. Even if it is something small, it may prove to be something big!

Our management team is great team to work with they are always available for guidance and mentorship whenever needed.

The workplace environment that I am currently employed is a wonderful team of qualified people and clinics/departments.

I feel that the hardest part of the job is that sometimes there is not enough time in the day to complete the tasks at hand. I find it more disappointment than the hardest part of the job. When I arrive at work, I try to have a strategy of goals that I want to achieve in that given day and sometimes it does not always go as planned, but I grab the bull by the horns and give my 125% to get the work completed.

The most enjoyable part of my job is providing my services to our team and making their jobs easier.
At a clinic
Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2017
A typical day would include going to the hospital at 9:00 am, greeting all my co-workers, then proceeding with my supervisor downstairs to the basement where we would file and purge old patient charts for a few hours. Lunch was 12:00 pm to 1, then continue with the charts until 5:00 pm
Pros
Great workplace
Cons
Lonely
I love working with patients in the health care setting.
Environmental aide (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 September 2017
U learn to have a lot of patience. working with others. working alone. Handing problems us they come. working on-call working most weekends. working all shifts.
Pros
great place to work.
Cons
pay always different.
I enjoy my work in the Heart investigation unit looking after and talking to patients. It is alway interesting and every day is different.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 August 2017
A typical work day is admitting patients from home and other hospitals. getting them ready for the angiogram and post care and a lot of teaching.
Despite being in a critical care setting for many years there is always something new to learn. New developments such as TAVI's (heart valve replacement ) and Mitral clips are now regularly done.

Because of government cuts every year since 2011 the hospital management has cut jobs every year causing more stress on staff and don't listen to the staff concerns. Staff are becoming burned out and over worked.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the nurses I work with and the people/patients I meet every day.

The hardest part is when the patients take a turn for the worse. We frequently see critical patients that come in by ambulance and need an urgent angiogram /angioplasty.
Pros
weekends and stat holidays off. No night shifts
Cons
Frequently doing call and wearing lead for X-rays
hands on Clinic with many opportunites for patien interaction
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  MacMaster15 July 2017
multiple opportunities to utilize skills and improve /add on skills, ie:training others, preceptor ship .
Opportunities for input into patient advocacy.
working with multi disciplinary team.
Pros
leadership opportunities
Cons
lack of positive reinforcement
Great place to work, awesome co-workers
Materials Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 July 2017
Great place to work, awesome co-workers. Love the atmosphere. Would highly recommend working at Hamilton Health Science to anyone who was interested to.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Not full time
Friendly place to work.
RN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2017
12 hour shifts, acute care setting. Friendly and compassionate staff. Busy hospital, with clients with multiple complex health issues. Constant learning abilities. Would benefit from keeping more front line staff. Clean environment.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
short staffed frequently
great bunch of staff
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 July 2017
my manager was not good at all managers changed hands many times over the years scheduling was very poorly done and work load was very very heavy at times
Productive, challenging and supportive
RN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 May 2017
You will always secure employment and have an intrinsically rewarding position. Education and learning in order to provide supportive services is essential.
Pros
Long Hours
My day at work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
I have learned that it is important to interact with fellow employees/colleagues at a person level and not to "work, work, work" all day long. It is important to laugh as well. The result is that more productivity occurs. The hardest part of the job is taking some time out to not take the job too seriously and getting the job done in a timely manner.
Pros
Friendships that can be made
Cons
If you do the job well, others rely on you to help them
Too Much change
SharePoint- Data Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 February 2017
Company has MGMT flaws.. Too many people going in and out.

Unfortunately it is an aging working class that tend to complain about their job rather then DO their job. I can only speak from my experience but outside of union employees you may lose your hair wondering where/if your job will exist tomorrow.

Overall structure seems to be changing.
great place to work, with lots of opportunity for growth
Emergency Department Business Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 February 2017
enriching environment, with lots of opportunity to learn. always something new and challenging happening in the department. room to grow and advance within the company.
Great colleagues and meaningful work
Admin (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2017
Hamilton Health Sciences is a dynamic environment with solid management and smart, hard-working people. It is easy to interact with anyone at this organization as well as getting your work done.
Great group of people to work with
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
Love the group of people I work with. Work is exciting and completely innovative. Great relationship betweeen staff and physician group. Tend to be understaffed most shifts though.
Hhs
Rehabilitation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
I have worked there for just about a year now. All my co-workers have been friendly and very helpful.
The management team takes time out to recognize your efforts.
We deal with all different types of patients and it has proved challenging at times but I also find it rewarding in the sense I am part of a team who helps these patients in there recovery phase.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lack of available work
Hamilton
Resident Physician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 November 2016
Not many comments on Hamilton. HHS hospitals are often crowded, smelled, slow in providing care, But they are the major hospitals in Hamilton. Hamilton is not a fancy town.
Enjoyable place to work
Business Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 October 2016
Hi
Worked at Hamilton Health Sciences (McMaster Division) for 27 years. I worked in Medical Records, Admitting and the Emergency Department. I have learned so many jobs in my career at the hospital. Have learned how to work with many personalities and professional staff. Most of all, learned how to deal with patients.Having the patience and compassion of people that come for your help. When someone has an important role dealing with the public, is to put yourself in there situation and treat them how you would expect to be treated.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting so many people and having good friends the rest of my life.
Pros
Medical knowledge
Cons
night shifts
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2016
Staffing needs to be addressed. Very minimal staff available with a very heavy workload. Pay is reasonable and benefits are exceptional. Would not necessarily recommend all of the floors
Posting resume
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 September 2016
Working in the Imaging Library my day consists of importing/consulting images into our PACS system. Majority of these requests are for the Juravinski Cancer Center. AS well, answering phones, faxing reports to requesting physicians office, burning images for patients who have specialist appointments outside of the HHSC Corpoaration
Good staff there, nice teamwork
Registered Respiratory Therapist- Pediatric (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 August 2016
Enjoying working with the other RRTs at McMaster Children's, it's a tight knit group, very supportive of each other.
Workload seems to be well balanced, probably more staffing in the winter would be better for respiratory illness season.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Shift work hours