Hamilton Health Sciences

Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Hamilton Health Sciences
Program Secretary, Cardiac and Vascular Program (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 3, 2016
Pros: Pension
Cons: Environment, long hours, under appreciated
Good pension
Opportunities for advancement.
Depending on the position, the environment can be at times very challenging to work in.
Always cutbacks in positions.
Critical Care Data Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 15, 2016
Wonderful work environment, loved my managers, coworkers and the patients at McMaster Children's Hospital.
Salary is very competitive, the only thing I would like to see change is the number of casual employees they hire to avoid paying benefits.
Government owned
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
High salary, lots of benefits, but too much politics. Hours are limited if you are casual part-time. I used to love the 8 hours shift, but for me, 12 hours is too much.
Hhs
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 30, 2015
-Great workplace
-Difficult to secure full time employment
-There is a variety of interesting people to get to know
-Great pay and benefits
excellent place to work
Palliative Liaison (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
opportunity to advance and initiate changes
Even though cancer survival is improving an average day spent at this hospital included a hard days work.It is highly known that those clients who weather the storm of a critical episode often experience an improvement and that provides for a job well done.
Excellent employer to work for - except Salary/Advancement
IT (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 25, 2012
Pros: benefits, job security, work/life balance, flex working hours, learning opportunities
Cons: compensation
Can't speak of all departments but IT overall is good. Good benefits but very little opportunities for advancement. Employees have been working for some10/20/30 years - at times in the same position. Avg possibly over 10 years. Job is quite secure. Management is good. Salary is bad, really bad in IT - other areas in healthcare can make a lot. Tax funded so no bonuses. A lot of learning opportunities. Co-workers are friendly. Job is not as stressful as it would be in a private company.

Overall an excellent employer if you can live happy while making less.
A great employer
Security Professional (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 6, 2015
Typical Day at Work?
enforcing Hospital policies and Assisting Medical Staff

Management?
have their pros and cons

Co-Workers

for the most part co workers are a joy to work with

Hardest Part of the Job?

Seeing grieving families

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job?

Being able to make a difference in someone's life.
Great place to learn
Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Good workplace experience
Helped me improve my English skills greatly
Great people
Extremely understanding and helpful co-workers
Lots of politics in this institution -
Charge RN, and Scrub/Circulating RN (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 4, 2013
I worked at HHS for 6 years, and found it very difficult to find any upper or middle management that were not focused on their own career paths, and what it would take to get them there. In my experience, the excellent managers and administrators quickly moved on to other institutions at their earliest opportunity. This unfortunately has a trickle down effect into the front line staff, with politics and negative behaviours prevalent and openly encouraged. Too bad, as there is good medicine going on in this system, but patients bear the brunt of poor work environments.
Productive and great workplace!
Patient Experience Coordinator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 26, 2015
a great place to work - great people, great opportunities. it is a privilege to work for such a great company and be part of such a great organization.
I work for the patients
Environmental Aide (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 15, 2015
My job is to make sure the patients rooms are cleaned and sanitized properly. I also love chatting with new people so this makes my job very fun and educational for me.
Very slow paced and a lot of politics involved if you are working with the engineering department
Plumber (Former Employee), McMaster HospitalApril 28, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, pension
Cons: Boring
This is the type of job for someone who is not very ambitious in my opinion. It is a lot of sitting around and pretending to be busy and waitin for things to go wrong. Have to deal with the everyday drama of other employees
Job did not match my skill set. Isolated culture
Administrative/Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and hospital environment

Cons: Poor management and environment

Administrative/conference planning and HR were more data entry
Fast Pace Work Enviroment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Hamilton Health SciencesJune 24, 2015
As a part of a Team that deals with alot of tragic life altering experiences it always amazes me how well as a team we pull together to meet our goal either it is holding a hand to supporting a elderly man who is sick to helping a grieving Family of a Young Ciritcal Trauma. I feel rewarded after evey shift knowing that i have touched someone in there life in a time that no one would want to experience an never thought they would experience.
Management that encourages you to grow..
Pharmacy Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2014
Pros: large institution, great management, great experience
Cons: not enough full time positions available
I obtained this job through a placement from my program at Niagara College. When I started my placement in the pharmacy at McMaster I immediately fell in love with the staff in the pharmacy department. This connection I had with the staff is what caused my now manager to approach me for a Research Coordinator position that had opened up. I have learned so much from this job and continue to learn new things every day. After a period of time my manager offered me an opportunity to start working at BARL while still gaining the experience and knowledge from my job at the hospital. She constantly is finding different ways for me to gain experience in different aspects of pharmacy research to help me be prepared for other job opportunities within the same field.
Great place to work with but chances of moving up are limited.
Inventory / Desktop Deployment. (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 5, 2013
Pros: salary, staff, location culture.
Cons: chances of moving up are limited.
Great place to work with but chances of moving up are limited.
HHS was an amazing place to work
Business Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 30, 2015
Pros: Environment
Cons: nothing
I was fortunate enough to have almost 30 years working at HHS and the knowledge I gained and people I worked with were amazing
hamilton health sciences corp.
Staff Nurse - Ward F5 and B3 (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 28, 2013
Pros: excellent salary
Cons: understaffed
Excellent teaching hospital. Many opportunities for personal growth through education and career advancement.
AN Engaging Environment
Senior Strategy Design Specialist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 21, 2015
Working at HHS is a wonderful experience. However, I feel that to truly "fit" with its community, HHS must develop its management staff to help promote internally.
Purchasing
Purchasing (Former Employee), St PetersNovember 18, 2014
Pros: collegues eager to perform
Cons: purchasing leadership lacking
Co workers are great to work with. Frequent conflicts in policy and job requirements. Lack of policies and procedures.
Job security is limited. Reducing support staff dramatically. Building is very old and has asbestos in the walls. Poor work environment .
Significant opportunities for challenging projects.