Hamilton Health Sciences

Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Business Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 October 2016
Hi
Worked at Hamilton Health Sciences (McMaster Division) for 27 years. I worked in Medical Records, Admitting and the Emergency Department. I have learned so many jobs in my career at the hospital. Have learned how to work with many personalities and professional staff. Most of all, learned how to deal with patients.Having the patience and compassion of people that come for your help. When someone has an important role dealing with the public, is to put yourself in there situation and treat them how you would expect to be treated.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be meeting so many people and having good friends the rest of my life.
Pros
Medical knowledge
Cons
night shifts
All were leading healthcare facilities
Customer Support Services Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 June 2016
I really enjoyed my work at HHS and established a respectful reputation with senior management, direct reports, the union representing labor and front line staff.
Pros
An incredible operational and management team
Cons
inequitable compensation amongst similar management positions
Hhs
Rehabilitation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
I have worked there for just about a year now. All my co-workers have been friendly and very helpful.
The management team takes time out to recognize your efforts.
We deal with all different types of patients and it has proved challenging at times but I also find it rewarding in the sense I am part of a team who helps these patients in there recovery phase.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lack of available work
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2016
Staffing needs to be addressed. Very minimal staff available with a very heavy workload. Pay is reasonable and benefits are exceptional. Would not necessarily recommend all of the floors
Hamilton Health Sciences
Program Secretary, Cardiac and Vascular Program (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 April 2016
Good pension
Opportunities for advancement.
Depending on the position, the environment can be at times very challenging to work in.
Always cutbacks in positions.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Environment, long hours, under appreciated
Critical Care Data Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 March 2016
Wonderful work environment, loved my managers, coworkers and the patients at McMaster Children's Hospital.
Salary is very competitive, the only thing I would like to see change is the number of casual employees they hire to avoid paying benefits.
Government owned
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 March 2016
High salary, lots of benefits, but too much politics. Hours are limited if you are casual part-time. I used to love the 8 hours shift, but for me, 12 hours is too much.
Posting resume
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 September 2016
Working in the Imaging Library my day consists of importing/consulting images into our PACS system. Majority of these requests are for the Juravinski Cancer Center. AS well, answering phones, faxing reports to requesting physicians office, burning images for patients who have specialist appointments outside of the HHSC Corpoaration
Good staff there, nice teamwork
Registered Respiratory Therapist- Pediatric (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 August 2016
Enjoying working with the other RRTs at McMaster Children's, it's a tight knit group, very supportive of each other.
Workload seems to be well balanced, probably more staffing in the winter would be better for respiratory illness season.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Shift work hours
Hamilton
Resident Physician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 November 2016
Not many comments on Hamilton. HHS hospitals are often crowded, smelled, slow in providing care, But they are the major hospitals in Hamilton. Hamilton is not a fancy town.
Excellent employer to work for - except Salary/Advancement
IT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 March 2012
Can't speak of all departments but IT overall is good. Good benefits but very little opportunities for advancement. Employees have been working for some10/20/30 years - at times in the same position. Avg possibly over 10 years. Job is quite secure. Management is good. Salary is bad, really bad in IT - other areas in healthcare can make a lot. Tax funded so no bonuses. A lot of learning opportunities. Co-workers are friendly. Job is not as stressful as it would be in a private company.

Overall an excellent employer if you can live happy while making less.
Pros
benefits, job security, work/life balance, flex working hours, learning opportunities
Cons
compensation
Friendly, Fast paced, Educational work enviornment
FILE CLERK / DATA ENTRY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 May 2016
An ideal, great place to work! Everyone is very helpful and informative. An excellent place to learn the ins and outs of administrative work.
Lots of politics in this institution -
Charge RN, and Scrub/Circulating RN  (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2013
I worked at HHS for 6 years, and found it very difficult to find any upper or middle management that were not focused on their own career paths, and what it would take to get them there. In my experience, the excellent managers and administrators quickly moved on to other institutions at their earliest opportunity. This unfortunately has a trickle down effect into the front line staff, with politics and negative behaviours prevalent and openly encouraged. Too bad, as there is good medicine going on in this system, but patients bear the brunt of poor work environments.
excellent place to work
Palliative Liaison (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 February 2016
opportunity to advance and initiate changes
Even though cancer survival is improving an average day spent at this hospital included a hard days work.It is highly known that those clients who weather the storm of a critical episode often experience an improvement and that provides for a job well done.
Hhs
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 November 2015
-Great workplace
-Difficult to secure full time employment
-There is a variety of interesting people to get to know
-Great pay and benefits
Management that encourages you to grow..
Pharmacy Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 July 2014
I obtained this job through a placement from my program at Niagara College. When I started my placement in the pharmacy at McMaster I immediately fell in love with the staff in the pharmacy department. This connection I had with the staff is what caused my now manager to approach me for a Research Coordinator position that had opened up. I have learned so much from this job and continue to learn new things every day. After a period of time my manager offered me an opportunity to start working at BARL while still gaining the experience and knowledge from my job at the hospital. She constantly is finding different ways for me to gain experience in different aspects of pharmacy research to help me be prepared for other job opportunities within the same field.
Pros
Large institution, great management, great experience
Cons
Not enough full time positions available
Great place to work with but chances of moving up are limited.
Inventory / Desktop Deployment. (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2013
Great place to work with but chances of moving up are limited.
Pros
Salary, Staff, Location Culture.
Cons
Chances of moving up are limited.
A great employer
Security Professional (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 August 2015
Typical Day at Work?
enforcing Hospital policies and Assisting Medical Staff

Management?
have their pros and cons

Co-Workers

for the most part co workers are a joy to work with

Hardest Part of the Job?

Seeing grieving families

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job?

Being able to make a difference in someone's life.
Job did not match my skill set. Isolated culture
Administrative/Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2015
Pros: Great benefits and hospital environment

Cons: Poor management and environment

Administrative/conference planning and HR were more data entry
hamilton health sciences corp.
Staff Nurse - Ward F5 and B3 (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2013
Excellent teaching hospital. Many opportunities for personal growth through education and career advancement.
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
understaffed

Hamilton Health Sciences Reviews by Location