Hamilton Health Sciences

Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Posting resume
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 29, 2016
Working in the Imaging Library my day consists of importing/consulting images into our PACS system. Majority of these requests are for the Juravinski Cancer Center. AS well, answering phones, faxing reports to requesting physicians office, burning images for patients who have specialist appointments outside of the HHSC Corpoaration
Good staff there, nice teamwork
Registered Respiratory Therapist- Pediatric (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 12, 2016
Enjoying working with the other RRTs at McMaster Children's, it's a tight knit group, very supportive of each other.
Workload seems to be well balanced, probably more staffing in the winter would be better for respiratory illness season.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Shift work hours
All were leading healthcare facilities
Customer Support Services Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 2, 2016
I really enjoyed my work at HHS and established a respectful reputation with senior management, direct reports, the union representing labor and front line staff.
Pros
An incredible operational and management team
Cons
inequitable compensation amongst similar management positions
Hamilton Health Sciences
Program Secretary, Cardiac and Vascular Program (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 3, 2016
Good pension
Opportunities for advancement.
Depending on the position, the environment can be at times very challenging to work in.
Always cutbacks in positions.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Environment, long hours, under appreciated
excellent place to work
Palliative Liaison (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
opportunity to advance and initiate changes
Even though cancer survival is improving an average day spent at this hospital included a hard days work.It is highly known that those clients who weather the storm of a critical episode often experience an improvement and that provides for a job well done.
Friendly, Fast paced, Educational work enviornment
FILE CLERK / DATA ENTRY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 30, 2016
An ideal, great place to work! Everyone is very helpful and informative. An excellent place to learn the ins and outs of administrative work.
Critical Care Data Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 15, 2016
Wonderful work environment, loved my managers, coworkers and the patients at McMaster Children's Hospital.
Salary is very competitive, the only thing I would like to see change is the number of casual employees they hire to avoid paying benefits.
Government owned
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
High salary, lots of benefits, but too much politics. Hours are limited if you are casual part-time. I used to love the 8 hours shift, but for me, 12 hours is too much.
Great place to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Good workplace experience
Helped me improve my English skills greatly
Great people
Extremely understanding and helpful co-workers
I work for the patients
Environmental Aide (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 15, 2015
My job is to make sure the patients rooms are cleaned and sanitized properly. I also love chatting with new people so this makes my job very fun and educational for me.
A great employer
Security Professional (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 6, 2015
Typical Day at Work?
enforcing Hospital policies and Assisting Medical Staff

Management?
have their pros and cons

Co-Workers

for the most part co workers are a joy to work with

Hardest Part of the Job?

Seeing grieving families

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job?

Being able to make a difference in someone's life.
Fast Pace Work Enviroment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton Health SciencesJune 24, 2015
As a part of a Team that deals with alot of tragic life altering experiences it always amazes me how well as a team we pull together to meet our goal either it is holding a hand to supporting a elderly man who is sick to helping a grieving Family of a Young Ciritcal Trauma. I feel rewarded after evey shift knowing that i have touched someone in there life in a time that no one would want to experience an never thought they would experience.
Hhs
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 30, 2015
-Great workplace
-Difficult to secure full time employment
-There is a variety of interesting people to get to know
-Great pay and benefits
Productive and great workplace!
Patient Experience Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 26, 2015
a great place to work - great people, great opportunities. it is a privilege to work for such a great company and be part of such a great organization.
Very slow paced and a lot of politics involved if you are working with the engineering department
Plumber (Former Employee) –  McMaster HospitalApril 28, 2015
This is the type of job for someone who is not very ambitious in my opinion. It is a lot of sitting around and pretending to be busy and waitin for things to go wrong. Have to deal with the everyday drama of other employees
Pros
Good benefits, pension
Cons
Boring
Great place to work, plenty of opportunities for solid work experience
Registered Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 15, 2015
i have worked both full time and part time. My typical day was a mix of individual and group work as well as approximately 60% of my time being devoted to reports and day to day case notes. I participated in regularly scheduled team meetings and would debrief with colleagues as needed. Everyone worked together well.
Pros
hands on experience and autonomy of work
Cons
large part of work is sedentary and on the computer
Purchasing
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  St PetersNovember 18, 2014
Co workers are great to work with. Frequent conflicts in policy and job requirements. Lack of policies and procedures.
Job security is limited. Reducing support staff dramatically. Building is very old and has asbestos in the walls. Poor work environment .
Significant opportunities for challenging projects.
Pros
collegues eager to perform
Cons
purchasing leadership lacking
Excellent employer to work for - except Salary/Advancement
IT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 25, 2012
Can't speak of all departments but IT overall is good. Good benefits but very little opportunities for advancement. Employees have been working for some10/20/30 years - at times in the same position. Avg possibly over 10 years. Job is quite secure. Management is good. Salary is bad, really bad in IT - other areas in healthcare can make a lot. Tax funded so no bonuses. A lot of learning opportunities. Co-workers are friendly. Job is not as stressful as it would be in a private company.

Overall an excellent employer if you can live happy while making less.
Pros
benefits, job security, work/life balance, flex working hours, learning opportunities
Cons
compensation
working just one day a week as I am semi retired works well for me. I am able to do other jobs as well. Really enjoy the patient contact.
ENTEROSTOMAL THERAPIST - HAMILTON GENERAL HOSPITAL (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2012
I have other co-workers on the team that are supportive and willing to share their expertise. The patient contact is the most enjoyable part of the job. The most difficult is the time restraints doing just one day a week. Follow up with the patients is limited. Other full time clinicians in other areas do not appreciate an older nurse or the experience and expertise they bring to the position.
Pros
days are flexible
Cons
follow up with patients for teaching is difficult with just one day a week.
Lots of politics in this institution -
Charge RN, and Scrub/Circulating RN (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 4, 2013
I worked at HHS for 6 years, and found it very difficult to find any upper or middle management that were not focused on their own career paths, and what it would take to get them there. In my experience, the excellent managers and administrators quickly moved on to other institutions at their earliest opportunity. This unfortunately has a trickle down effect into the front line staff, with politics and negative behaviours prevalent and openly encouraged. Too bad, as there is good medicine going on in this system, but patients bear the brunt of poor work environments.

Hamilton Health Sciences Reviews by Location