Are you passionate about making your community a safer place to live and work?
This is a great opportunity for you to contribute to your community by working directly with the Information Technology department of the Halton Regional Police Service.
The Halton Regional Police Service (H.R.P.S.) is proud to serve the residents of Halton and is dedicated to providing proactive, reactive and preventative policing strategies to the growing communities of Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills. According to recent demographic trends, Halton Region is experiencing the 3rd fastest population increase in the GTA. Meeting the needs of its ever changing and growing population base through innovative information technology solutions to support policing is our top priority.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Technical Support Analyst to join our dynamic Information Technology team. You will play a key role in the growth of our critical technology solutions to support the short and long term goals of the Halton Regional Police Service.
The incumbent will:
- Make a difference by providing positive experience to our internal staff members,
- Join a tightly integrated team of Information Technology professionals,
- Enable the Service with state-of-the-art hardware and software,
- Support and expand infrastructure used to keep the residents and Officers of the Halton Region informed, safe, and secure, and;
- Apply their knowledge and experience to technology that will create high performance and reliable computing environments.
Your Opportunity to Make a Difference
The Technical Support Analyst will liaise with the business units and the IT department to maintain and support computer hardware and software plus provide technical support to members (uniform and civilian members) of the Service.
Key activities include:
- Trouble shooting, resolving and/or escalating in a timely manner, all reported user hardware and software problems.
- Setting-up, configuring, testing, and/or installing hardware and software on new and reallocated workstations, or perform enhancements to existing systems.
- Completing regular checks on the status of operational and support hardware, taking appropriate action when necessary (e.g. air conditioner, UPS, modems, and other networked hardware).
- Performing preventative maintenance on hardware and/or software.
- Providing basic training to Service members on supported software (e.g. Microsoft Office and other lines of business applications) and hardware.
Technical Skills and Abilities
The following technical skills and experience, while not mandatory, would be considered an asset:
- Experience providing hands on technical support, including the setup, installation, and configuration of hardware and software, trouble shooting, and resolving problems.
- Expertise in computer networking.
- Training or technical familiarities with Windows 7, Office products, antivirus software packages, and phone systems.
- Community college diploma (or degree) in a computer related field is desirable. An equivalent combination of education and related work experience will be taken into consideration.
- Excellent problem solving skills to respond to a wide variety of hardware and software issues.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service to our internal clients.
- Superior organization and planning skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities to ensure that commitments are met.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders and to successfully write issues into our tracking system.
- Valid Class G driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Willing to work shifts (evenings and weekends) and able to work on-call shifts.
- Willing and able to do heavy lifting (greater than 50 pounds).
Location and Other Considerations:
This position is based in Oakville at the Halton Regional Police Services Headquarters and offers candidates an exciting workplace opportunity with a balanced lifestyle away from the hectic commute to the city. This location offers an on-site gym and cafeteria.
We offer a competitive benefits package, which includes but is not limited to healthcare benefits (i.e. dental, vision care), paid leave (i.e. annual vacation and designated holidays (13)) and a pension plan – Ontario Municipal Employee Retirement System (O.M.E.R.S.).
How To Be Considered For This Opportunity:
Anyone interested in this opportunity must apply on-line with a resume and a detailed letter outlining their experience and skills. To apply you must cut and paste the following link into your web browser –
http://www.haltonpolice.ca/JoinUs/CivilianOpportunities/Pages/JobOpportunities.aspx. Select the job posting “Technical Support Analyst”. Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage of that specific job posting. Click on Apply Now.
Please Note: Initial applications to our Service require a two step process, initial registration on the system and an application for a specific position. You should receive two confirmation emails: one for initial registration on the system and one for an application to a specific position.
No phone calls or emails, please. The Halton Regional Police Service is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2014