Vehicle Installation Technician
Bring your working knowledge of automotive electrical applications to our Fleet Services team
Based in Halton, and reporting to the Fleet Coordinator/Leadhand, you will perform the installation and removal of after-market equipment for all Halton Regional Police Service vehicles. The Vehicle Installation Technician we seek is a good problem-solver with at least 1 year of related experience, e.g., electrical repairs and/or installation, millwright, and mechanic trades, and a proven ability to read wiring and other schematics. This is a 6-month contract position with a possible 6-month extension.
Your responsibilities as a Vehicle Installation Technician will include:
- Installing, repairing, and replacing emergency lighting, mobile radio equipment, mobile workstation and other vehicle accessory equipment
- Shuttling of vehicles
- Picking up and returning parts, supplies and equipment to vendors, Region of Halton, and HRPS facilities as required
- Troubleshooting of technical issues related to existing and proposed equipment
- Tracking equipment failures for warranty replacements processes
- Application of 3M decalling
- Providing technical support and information in the implementation of new equipment to ensure compatibility with existing equipment and systems
- Providing project support and technical knowledge related to the installation of existing and proposed equipment, and performing installations, as required, through implementation process
- Ensuring that all vehicles are equipped with the required items onboard in order to meet the Service’s policy requirements
- Maintaining work area in a neat, organized and safe condition at all times
- Providing support to the Fleet Coordinator and Lead Vehicle Technician as required
- Other duties as assigned
Your qualifications for the role of Vehicle Installation Technician will include:
- Physical ability to lift objects weighing in excess of 50 lb on a regular basis, as this position is very physical and highly labour intensive
- A valid Class G driver’s licence and a good driving record, as this position requires driving vehicles
- At least 1 year of related experience, i.e., electrical repairs and/or installation, millwright, and mechanic trades
- Basic working knowledge of automotive electrical applications
- Demonstrated ability to read schematics, i.e., wiring
- A high school education plus one year of coursework in electrical, millwright or mechanic trades, vehicle maintenance courses and/or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Good verbal and written communication and teamwork skills, with the ability to establish and maintain positive internal working relationships
- Good problem-solving, organization and planning skills, good judgment and great attention to detail and accuracy, to organize own work, assess information quickly and accurately, provide appropriate solutions to technical issues, and ensure the quality of work
- Ability to follow procedures and deal effectively with changing priorities
The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) is dedicated to providing proactive, reactive and preventative policing strategies that enhance the quality of life in the growing communities of Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills, in a region that features Bronte Creek Provincial Park and several conservation areas.
To find out more and apply online, visit our website at www.haltonpolice.ca and click on the following links - Join Us – Civilian Opportunities – Job Opportunities. You may also forward your resume, quoting Competition #10-C13, by March 17, 2013, to: Halton Regional Police Service, Human Resource Services, 1151 Bronte Road, P.O. Box 2700, Oakville, ON L6J 5C7.
No phone calls, please.
The Halton Regional Police Service is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. We thank all applicants; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note: Initial applications to our Service require a two step process, initial registration on the system and an application for a specific position. You should receive two confirmation emails: one for initial registration on the system and one for an application to a specific position.
Indeed - 12 months ago
The Halton Regional Police Service is committed to eliminating Hate Motivated Crime and Hate Propaganda in our community. We recognize that...