Are you passionate about making your community a safer place to live and work?
This is a great opportunity for you to contribute to your community by working directly with our information technology department for the Halton Regional Police Service.
The Halton Regional Police Service (H.R.P.S.) is proud to serve the residents of Halton and is dedicated to providing proactive, reactive and preventative policing strategies to the growing communities of Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills. According to recent demographic trends, Halton Region is experiencing the 3rd fastest population increase in the GTA. Meeting the needs of its ever changing and growing population base through innovative information technology solutions to support policing is our top priority.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Technical Support Analyst to join our dynamic Information Technology team. You will play a key role in the growth of our critical technology solutions to support the short and long term goals of the Halton Regional Police Service.
The incumbent will be:
- Making a difference by providing positive experience to our internal staff members,
- Joining a tightly integrated team of Information Technology professionals,
- Enabling the Service with state of the art hardware and software,
- Supporting and expanding infrastructure used to keep the residents and Officers of the Halton Region informed, safe, and secure, and;
- Applying their knowledge and experience to technology that will be creating high performance and reliable computing environments.
Your Opportunity to Make a Difference
The Technical Support Analyst will liaise with the business units and the IT department to maintain and support computer hardware and software plus provide technical support to members (uniform and civilian members) of the Service.
Key activities include:
- Trouble shooting, resolving and/or escalating in a timely manner, all reported user hardware and software problems.
- Setting-up, configuring, testing, and/or installing hardware and software on new and reallocated workstations, or perform enhancements to existing systems.
- Completing regular checks on the status of operational and support hardware, taking appropriate action when necessary (e.g. air conditioner, UPS, modems, and other networked hardware).
- Performing preventative maintenance on hardware and/or software.
- Providing basic training to Service members on supported software (e.g. Microsoft Office and other lines of business applications) and hardware.
Your Professional Qualifications:
Your qualifications will include successful and progressive experience contributing to a medium sized IS function encompassing the following skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Expertise in computer networking is considered an asset.
- Prior experience providing hands on technical support, including the setup, installation, and configuration of hardware and software, trouble shooting, and resolving problems would be considered an asset.
- A+ certification will be considered an asset.
- Training or technical familiarities with Windows XP, Office products, antivirus software packages, and phone systems are considered an asset.
- Community college diploma in computer related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
- Excellent problem solving skills to respond to a wide variety of hardware and software issues.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service experience to our internal clients.
- Superior organization and planning skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities to ensure the commitments are met.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders and the ability to write issues into our tracking system.
- Valid Class G driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Willing to work shifts (evenings and weekends) and able to work on-call shifts.
- Willing and able to do heavy lifting (greater than 50 pounds).
Location and Other Considerations:
This position is based in Oakville at the Halton Regional Police Services Headquarters and offers candidates an exciting workplace opportunity with a balanced lifestyle away from the hectic commute to the city. This location offers an on-site gym and cafeteria.
We offer a competitive benefits package, which includes but is not limited to healthcare benefits (i.e. dental, vision care), paid leave (i.e. annual vacation and designated holidays (13)) and pension plan – Ontario Municipal Employee Retirement System (O.M.E.R.S.).
How To Be Considered For This Exciting Opportunity:
Anyone interested in this opportunity must apply on-line with a resume and a detailed letter outlining their experience and skills. This information should be forwarded to Staffing Advisor, Human Resource Services, quoting Competition # 30-C-12A by 16:00 pm on November 28, 2012.
Please note: All applications must be submitted to the Service’s on-line system to be considered for this vacancy.
To be considered for this opportunity, you must cut and paste the following link into your web browser –
Select the job posting “Technical Support Analyst”. Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage of that specific job posting. Click on Apply Now.
Please Note: Initial applications to our Service require a two step process, initial registration on the system and an application for a specific position. You should receive two confirmation emails: one for initial registration on the system and one for an application to a specific position.
No phone calls or emails, please. The Halton Regional Police Service is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.