Hallmark Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

No Reward for a Good Job
Keyholder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
The product orders arrive all through the day and have to be received and dealt with right away. A lot of the boxes are quite heavy (depending on what is in them) and a lot of orders can be over 20 boxes at a time.

There is no opportunity to use "creative flair" when setting up a display, every product has to go on the right shelf in the right space which uses up a lot of time cross-referencing the planogram for exact placement when time could be better spent on more important things such as just getting the product out for sale.

The hourly wage is just over minimum with little chance of getting a raise, no matter how well you do the job. Even a keyholder with more responsibility doesn't make more money than anyone else.

The worst part is the "customer service" expectations. It's more like being pushy and upselling. Management isn't happy to just let people browse around in the store, you have to find out WHY they are there and selling them something. I want to be helpful, but I don't want to make the customers uncomfortable with mindless chitchat that always seems to come off as phoney when I listen to management do it.

Its frustrating as well to spend time making a display nice then being told 2 weeks later to take it down and put up something else. It just seems like a lot of "make work" projects, especially when this isn't a store that has a weekly flyer that needs you to highlight the "specials" that are changing.

Too much sales pressure and not enough compensation. Look for something else.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
pressure selling, low wage, lots of physical labor, no pay raises
fun workplace
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
• Obtained orders
• Picked wholesale units of product from the filling line as per customer requirement.
• Packed the stock, filled in appropriate shipping cartons and applied the correct carton identifier numbers.
• Ensure the packing and labeling meet customer requirements (neat, orderly, legible).
• Completed the necessary paperwork accurately.
Team mates made it a fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONApril 19, 2016
Poor pay, but sometimes customers made up for it. Never saw a raise.I did enjoy working there though because of the people.
Great while it lasted
Production Supervisor / Operations Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Great working atmosphere, safety and quality were #1. Global and technology changes were the demise of this organization. Family oriented and at 1 time was one of Canada's best workplaces.
POORLY RUN AND CHEAP
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  GTA/Toronto AreaJune 12, 2013
Hallmark pays terrible wages to their retail staff. Almost no increases at all and when you do get one it is only a few pennies. Keyholders are not paid any more than other staff. They are very demanding for minimum wage.

The management is completely disinterested in the retail staff but put plenty of demands on you regarding promotions, membership, add-ons, lots of heavy lifting and manual labor, short break times, sick time, etc.

It has really gone downhill since the U.S. took over Canadian operations about a year ago.

I am looking for another job.
Pros
i work with some very nice co-workers
Cons
the demands they put on you for little pay
Average employer, good location
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONApril 30, 2015
Provided job security and overall was an average place of employment. Not overly pleased with management but managed to work through that for 15 years.
Learned to enhance my organizational skills
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 31, 2015
-Great customer relations
-Great sales experience
-Fun work environment to learn how to work well in a team.
- Hardest part of the job is learning how to communicate with difficult customers, however this job gives a great opportunity to learn how to deal with this situation thanks to its great management team.
Flexible and fun job, with nice co-workers.
Order Management Analyst/ Order Service System (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 2, 2015
I thoroughly value my years at Hallmark, and was very fortunate with the opportunities I was provided to grow my skills over that time.
My supervisors were very supportive and were more than willing to train me in all aspects of the job, which enabled me to be more productive and successful. This is a great job for a person who works well independently, is organized and enjoys being active and outgoing. I enjoyed my time with Hallmark and would work for them again if given the opportunity.
Pros
very flexible schedule
Cons
vacation time
Was a great place to learn and hone my skills.
Manager - I.T. Business Solutions Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2015
Many opportunities to learn and perfect my skills. Was able to learn both strategic and tactical skills in order to be successful.
Superb work enviornment.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 16, 2013
A typical day at work would involve providing stock for as well as removing and storing finished products from manufacturing floor. Updating in real time all transactions made using mobile radio frequency device was an important aspect of this job. Keeping inventories up to date ,removing recyclables, shipping and receiving , maintaining truck and battery care were all part of day to day activities. I learned almost every detail of card manufacturing from raw stock to finished product. I had hundreds if not thousands of co-workers over my 20 years with Hallmark and have made many life long friends during my time there. The hardest part of the job was the monotony of the work at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie in plant.
Pros
well treated, flexible hours
Cons
monotany
Learning all aspects of different cards for individuals
Retail Sales employee (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 8, 2013
My typical day at work is I get to work 1 hour before my shift to see what new products has come in.
I love working with customers so for me the customer service is the best part of my job.
The hardest part of my job is working with a co-worker who does not like you however I refuse to be unhappy when I do work with her. I love my job and not everyone is going to get along.
Pros
my customers that come in when i work
Cons
no wage increase at all and very few hours
friendly work environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONMay 3, 2013
My experience at Hallmark is very good. It is a very neat, friendly and cost efficient company. I worked as a stock handler to facilitate as easy as possible to serve order fillers. I had to make ready all the machandise for orders, provide necessary packing materials and stand by for help request in order to ship all orders as accurate and fast as possible.
Pros
very nice and neat work environment
Cons
on call job
Credit & Collections Representative/ AR (Current Employee) –  501 Consumers Rd., North York, OnNovember 5, 2014
Wonderful environment
Fun place to work
Lots of opportunities to grow and learn
Productive workplace with lots of opportunities for growth
Demand & Inventory Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2014
Working for Hallmark Canada has truly helped me grow professionally.
Hallmark Card
Feeding the Batch Counter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2012
I was feeding and operating the machine and working with 2 more peoples. I enjoy to work there and to work with pepoles. I was working 40 hours is is not more. When they have extra hours the supervisor they ask me because i never say no to work
work life balance
Demand and Inventory Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Good organization to build up skills and experience
Nice team work
Exellent company to work for
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2012
Company allows for you to be your own boss. Coworkers are great. Difficult part would be always being alone. Most enjoyable part meeting new people and always being out.
Pros
flexible hours
Sample Clerk
Sample clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2014
Received, filed, re-organized and retrieved samples for product marketing.
great place to build your network and meet potential clients
RETAIL REPRESENTATIVE- PT (Current Employee) –  ancaster ontarioJune 26, 2013
love merchandising, working independently..getting the job done well!

great job
very enjoyable to merchandise cards
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 22, 2013
I enjoyed merchandising cards and hallmark. it was busy, and I enjoyed helping customers.
Pros
discount on cards
Cons
a lot of travel