Hallmark Canada Employee Reviews

management
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
management is not satispied our work that why i deside to find another job and even i do my job properly ahe always mad to us not only me wven my co workers
Pros
people
Cons
short hours
fun workplace
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
• Obtained orders
• Picked wholesale units of product from the filling line as per customer requirement.
• Packed the stock, filled in appropriate shipping cartons and applied the correct carton identifier numbers.
• Ensure the packing and labeling meet customer requirements (neat, orderly, legible).
• Completed the necessary paperwork accurately.
Great while it lasted
Production Supervisor / Operations Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2016
Great working atmosphere, safety and quality were #1. Global and technology changes were the demise of this organization. Family oriented and at 1 time was one of Canada's best workplaces.
No Reward for a Good Job
Keyholder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2015
The product orders arrive all through the day and have to be received and dealt with right away. A lot of the boxes are quite heavy (depending on what is in them) and a lot of orders can be over 20 boxes at a time.

There is no opportunity to use "creative flair" when setting up a display, every product has to go on the right shelf in the right space which uses up a lot of time cross-referencing the planogram for exact placement when time could be better spent on more important things such as just getting the product out for sale.

The hourly wage is just over minimum with little chance of getting a raise, no matter how well you do the job. Even a keyholder with more responsibility doesn't make more money than anyone else.

The worst part is the "customer service" expectations. It's more like being pushy and upselling. Management isn't happy to just let people browse around in the store, you have to find out WHY they are there and selling them something. I want to be helpful, but I don't want to make the customers uncomfortable with mindless chitchat that always seems to come off as phoney when I listen to management do it.

Its frustrating as well to spend time making a display nice then being told 2 weeks later to take it down and put up something else. It just seems like a lot of "make work" projects, especially when this isn't a store that has a weekly flyer that needs you to highlight the "specials" that are changing.

Too much sales pressure and not enough compensation. Look for something else.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
pressure selling, low wage, lots of physical labor, no pay raises
Average employer, good location
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON30 April 2015
Provided job security and overall was an average place of employment. Not overly pleased with management but managed to work through that for 15 years.
Was a great place to learn and hone my skills.
Manager - I.T. Business Solutions Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2015
Many opportunities to learn and perfect my skills. Was able to learn both strategic and tactical skills in order to be successful.
Learned to enhance my organizational skills
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 March 2015
-Great customer relations
-Great sales experience
-Fun work environment to learn how to work well in a team.
- Hardest part of the job is learning how to communicate with difficult customers, however this job gives a great opportunity to learn how to deal with this situation thanks to its great management team.
Flexible and fun job, with nice co-workers.
Order Management Analyst/ Order Service System (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2015
I thoroughly value my years at Hallmark, and was very fortunate with the opportunities I was provided to grow my skills over that time.
My supervisors were very supportive and were more than willing to train me in all aspects of the job, which enabled me to be more productive and successful. This is a great job for a person who works well independently, is organized and enjoys being active and outgoing. I enjoyed my time with Hallmark and would work for them again if given the opportunity.
Pros
very flexible schedule
Cons
Vacation time
Credit & Collections Representative/ AR (Current Employee) –  501 Consumers Rd., North York, On5 November 2014
Wonderful environment
Fun place to work
Lots of opportunities to grow and learn
Productive workplace with lots of opportunities for growth
Demand & Inventory Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2014
Working for Hallmark Canada has truly helped me grow professionally.
work life balance
Demand and Inventory Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2014
Good organization to build up skills and experience
Nice team work
Sample Clerk
Sample clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2014
Received, filed, re-organized and retrieved samples for product marketing.
very enjoyable to merchandise cards
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2013
I enjoyed merchandising cards and hallmark. it was busy, and I enjoyed helping customers.
Pros
discount on cards
Cons
a lot of travel
Great Place to work
IT Coordinator / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario17 September 2013
Procurement
Administrative Duties
Data Entry
Reeception
Pros
Great people
Cons
Downsizing
Superb work enviornment.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario16 September 2013
A typical day at work would involve providing stock for as well as removing and storing finished products from manufacturing floor. Updating in real time all transactions made using mobile radio frequency device was an important aspect of this job. Keeping inventories up to date ,removing recyclables, shipping and receiving , maintaining truck and battery care were all part of day to day activities. I learned almost every detail of card manufacturing from raw stock to finished product. I had hundreds if not thousands of co-workers over my 20 years with Hallmark and have made many life long friends during my time there. The hardest part of the job was the monotony of the work at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie in plant.
Pros
well treated, flexible hours
Cons
monotany
Great at first, them the Americans took over....
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2013
Since the US has taken over store operations, I can see a steady decline in both productivity (too much new paperwork) and moral amongst the team.
great place to build your network and meet potential clients
RETAIL REPRESENTATIVE- PT (Current Employee) –  ancaster ontario26 June 2013
love merchandising, working independently..getting the job done well!

great job
POORLY RUN AND CHEAP
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  GTA/Toronto Area12 June 2013
Hallmark pays terrible wages to their retail staff. Almost no increases at all and when you do get one it is only a few pennies. Keyholders are not paid any more than other staff. They are very demanding for minimum wage.

The management is completely disinterested in the retail staff but put plenty of demands on you regarding promotions, membership, add-ons, lots of heavy lifting and manual labor, short break times, sick time, etc.

It has really gone downhill since the U.S. took over Canadian operations about a year ago.

I am looking for another job.

Pros
I work with some very nice co-workers
Cons
The demands they put on you for little pay
trying to cut costs
Account Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2013
dwindling resources are putting a large strain on customers and employees
Learning all aspects of different cards for individuals
Retail Sales employee (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 May 2013
My typical day at work is I get to work 1 hour before my shift to see what new products has come in.
I love working with customers so for me the customer service is the best part of my job.
The hardest part of my job is working with a co-worker who does not like you however I refuse to be unhappy when I do work with her. I love my job and not everyone is going to get along.
Pros
My customers that come in when I work
Cons
No wage increase at all and very few hours

2.6