Halifax Regional School Board

Halifax Regional School Board Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Halifax Regional School Board
Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee), HalifaxJuly 15, 2014
Pros: helping children everyday
Cons: pay
I truly enjoy working the the Halifax Regional School Board. I do however feel unappreicated in many situations and feel we are strongly underpaid.
Day to day responsibilities and duties
Library Support Specialist (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 17, 2014
Pros: i enjoyed going to work every single day.
My daily responsibilities included meeting the library needs for students and staff alike. This included but was not limited to the lending of books and resources to both staff and students for the purpose of leisurely reading, research, project work, and assignments. I also was asked to offer my assistance with curriculum support to the teachers in – more... providing of resources. At the beginning of the year and throughout, I was responsible for managing the Library budget, ordering supplies, resources, books, and materials. I regularly take care of all Library materials: cleaning, repairing, replacing, and weeding of outdated materials. As part of my role as Librarian, I ran two groups which were held over the lunch hours: Grade 8 and 9 Book Club and Grade 7 and 8 Writing and Illustrators Club. I also volunteered regularly throughout the year at various school functions, coaching both the Volleyball and Soccer teams, chaperoning school trips and dances, organzing and supervising the morning visual announcements, and helping out with anything I can in the school environment. I found this to be a fantastic way to get to know both the students and staff alike. – less
In my years with the Halifax Regional School Board I was fortunate to work in a variety of teaching positions
Guidance Counsellor (Former Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 5, 2013
Pros: i took groups of students all over canada on 8 exchange trips
Cons: none come to mind that are worth mentioning
I enjoyed the day to day challenges of my teaching over the years. I was motivated to earn a masters in education as well as taking a variety of other courses at the graduate level while I taught. I enjoyed learning from my colleagues as well as generally interacting and socializing with them.
I feel that I was able to help students choose appropriate – more... courses for their future academic programs.
I enjoyed the counseling part of my job. My background as a registered social worker (MSW) was very helpful. – less
Typical day at work
Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee), Fall RiverJune 8, 2013
I get to help a few of the junior high students with their school work. I am usually in the classroom with the kids. The teacher explains what needs to be done and I help the student when s/he needs the help. Sometime I encourage the student to focus on their work and other times, I have the explain the work in different ways (and hope that they understand). – more... Sometimes, I have to try to calm the student down. I'm in different classes with the students, so each day can be a diverse day. – less
Five star, all the way
Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Clerk/Payroll (Former Employee), Lower Sackville, NSJune 4, 2013
My employment with the Halifax Regional School Board was a time of continued learning, I not only learned to actually do the physical job, but also, the importance of being a team player - using both skills made my time there a five star experience.

The hardest part of the job was time management, because with Accounting everything has to balance - – more... I would always have to be very careful to stop now - get other function covered, and then return to that original task, if necessary, so being organized was very important – less
I enjoy working in the general public.
Door Monitor (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSMarch 13, 2013
Pros: working during the day!
Cons: having to work every evening and being away from my family!
During a work day, I would serve children at the counter for snacks and lunches, help to prepare the meals. In the evening I assist the public when entering the school for programs.

I enjoy working with others and I am a people-person!
Great workplace atmosphere
Library Support Specialist (Current Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 27, 2012
HRSB is an equal opportunity employer, treat its staff great, and staff seem to all display high standards of professionalism but have fun, encouraging attitudes. I recommend this employer based on the great staff and work places but due to funding cuts, advancement might not happen as soon as a potential employee looking to advance might hope for.
An interesting place to work with lots of responsabities.
Teacher (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: summer vacation
Cons: not enough time during the day to meet the expectations
My day at work consisted of teaching approximatively 230 kids, 7 classes of 30 kids. Always so busy trying to help everyone. Always learning to use new programs, teaching strategies and management skills. Managing my day, the curriculum, the kids and dicipline was my stong asset. I love organization. Enjoyed the co-workers at a professional level.The – more... hardest part of the job was the lack of support from the parents. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the students and the students being happy. – less
Loved working with elementary school students
Lunch monitor (Former Employee), Lower sackville nsSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: great students
Cons: not enough hours
Great environment. Learned to be patient. Coworkers and staff at school were helpful and courteous
producive and a nice friendly atmosphere
Excel Childcare Assistant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 10, 2012
Pros: meeting all kinds of chidren
Cons: long hours
a typial day was watching chidren. I learned that every child is different.management is ok. my co workers were good to work with, The hardest part was dealing with children when they were not listening. seeing all the children on a dailt basis.
Good experience
Elementary Teacher (Substitute) (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 19, 2012
Pros: wide range of assignments
Cons: too much travelling
As a substitute I experienced a wide range of teaching assignments ranging from grade primary to twelve. As a result, I met many students and teachers, was able to learn a lot and incorporate new strategies into my own teaching practice.