Halifax Regional School Board Employee Reviews

Fun and Interesting
Educational Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 27, 2016
With kids, everyday is new so HRSB became an amazing place to head to in the morning. Short days, so lots of free time after work.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
bad pay
Love working with children but the job is high stress with little to no perks
Recreational Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NSApril 14, 2016
My position allowed me to form wonderful bonds with the children I worked with. I love feeling like I make a difference in their day to day life. The program itself is quite poorly run, with little to no support for staff. We lost 2 staff during the first half of the year which have yet to be replaced which puts a strain on our 15-1 ratio when additional children are placed into groups to make up for lack of staff. The rate of pay is rather low considering the workload, as well as many unpaid days off and no possibility of health/dental coverage.
Pros
free child care, fun, everyday presents possibility for new experiences, lasting bonds with children
Cons
no benefits, low pay, low hours with no possibility for extra, unpaid PD days, little management support, high noise levels
excellent, smart and funny people to work with, very socialable people
DUTY or LUNCHTIME MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Beechville, NSFebruary 24, 2016
Job started at 11:00 (snack + coffee time) 11:15- 11:55am working with the grade 5 and 6 students. Also grades 7 + 8's @ 12:15-12:55. Making sure they don't run down the Hallways., Supervising them, advised them to throw their garbage away. As, it is always their responsibility to do so. Watching them, observing their behavoir
making sure they were safe. I learned to love my job, came into work everyday, worked well with everyone. Never had a problem that I can remember. The hardest part of the job, was working alone, when my
co-workers were absent. Love the social interaction between myself + the children., Trying hard not to laugh @ them (silly Behavior) laughed with them. Kids are mostly always happy...
Pros
poutine on Fridays sometimes sheppard's pie
Cons
on my feet a lot
Love working with children
Excel group leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NSDecember 11, 2015
I thought working for HRSB would be a great career with benefits... Not so much I wasn't given hardly any training like I was promised when hired. Looking after a group of 15 or more children is stressful at times especially coming up with fun lesson plans for clubs, art and science, and NO benefits at all! If you are a parent then you won't have any time for after school activities with your child finishing work at 6pm during the week but you do get free after school care working in the program. My work colleagues are great bunch of ladies and we all try to help each other out when needed the salary isn't great and unless you work morning, lunch moniter and afternoon it's hard to get enough hours to pay all the bills
Pros
Free childcare
Cons
No benefits low salary stressful job
Good Job
Casual Custodian (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NSNovember 24, 2015
Excellent people to work with, very flexible hours are available. If you are looking for a job with Benefits and security then here is one for you!
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NSOctober 27, 2015
Its a great job but i am not working enough to pay pills. I need another income or a change to something else cause teaching is not working.
As a work term
HRBS Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSOctober 7, 2015
HRBS is alright job, i had fun fixing, upgrading computers and etc. the people i work with is good, they help each other out with troubleshooting etc. The only thing i didn't like was the hours but due to my lack of sleep it couldn't be help (later on i got use to it). i had a alright time here, and i would recommend for people who are looking for jobs. and one last thing is that i did this as a work term so i have no clue what the salary is so...sorry
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Long hours (but i got use to it)
Fun place to work
Lunch Monitor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 4, 2015
start at 12 noon work till 1, help children open there lunches get them ready for outside. I love children so much fun to be around
good work place
2 .Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  auburn drive,halifax west ,Lockvew high schoolFebruary 5, 2015
everyday something new to learn because we move to different schools Good and safe place to work but difficult to get permanaent positions right now I enjoyed working with schools because I feel I am a born teacher teaching is my passion
It s a challenging job and needs lot of energy and creativity.
If you can get in, good career
Term and Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional MunicipalityNovember 6, 2014
Limited full time positions available in Physical Education so I am looking for a new career.
Halifax Regional School Board
Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  HalifaxJuly 15, 2014
I truly enjoy working the the Halifax Regional School Board. I do however feel unappreicated in many situations and feel we are strongly underpaid.
Pros
helping children everyday
Cons
pay
Day to day responsibilities and duties
Library Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 17, 2014
My daily responsibilities included meeting the library needs for students and staff alike. This included but was not limited to the lending of books and resources to both staff and students for the purpose of leisurely reading, research, project work, and assignments. I also was asked to offer my assistance with curriculum support to the teachers in providing of resources. At the beginning of the year and throughout, I was responsible for managing the Library budget, ordering supplies, resources, books, and materials. I regularly take care of all Library materials: cleaning, repairing, replacing, and weeding of outdated materials. As part of my role as Librarian, I ran two groups which were held over the lunch hours: Grade 8 and 9 Book Club and Grade 7 and 8 Writing and Illustrators Club. I also volunteered regularly throughout the year at various school functions, coaching both the Volleyball and Soccer teams, chaperoning school trips and dances, organzing and supervising the morning visual announcements, and helping out with anything I can in the school environment. I found this to be a fantastic way to get to know both the students and staff alike.
Pros
i enjoyed going to work every single day.
In my years with the Halifax Regional School Board I was fortunate to work in a variety of teaching positions
Guidance Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 5, 2013
I enjoyed the day to day challenges of my teaching over the years. I was motivated to earn a masters in education as well as taking a variety of other courses at the graduate level while I taught. I enjoyed learning from my colleagues as well as generally interacting and socializing with them.
I feel that I was able to help students choose appropriate courses for their future academic programs.
I enjoyed the counseling part of my job. My background as a registered social worker (MSW) was very helpful.
Pros
i took groups of students all over canada on 8 exchange trips
Cons
none come to mind that are worth mentioning
Typical day at work
Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fall RiverJune 8, 2013
I get to help a few of the junior high students with their school work. I am usually in the classroom with the kids. The teacher explains what needs to be done and I help the student when s/he needs the help. Sometime I encourage the student to focus on their work and other times, I have the explain the work in different ways (and hope that they understand). Sometimes, I have to try to calm the student down. I'm in different classes with the students, so each day can be a diverse day.
Five star, all the way
Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Clerk/Payroll (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSJune 4, 2013
My employment with the Halifax Regional School Board was a time of continued learning, I not only learned to actually do the physical job, but also, the importance of being a team player - using both skills made my time there a five star experience.

The hardest part of the job was time management, because with Accounting everything has to balance - I would always have to be very careful to stop now - get other function covered, and then return to that original task, if necessary, so being organized was very important
I enjoy working in the general public.
Door Monitor (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMarch 13, 2013
During a work day, I would serve children at the counter for snacks and lunches, help to prepare the meals. In the evening I assist the public when entering the school for programs.

I enjoy working with others and I am a people-person!
Pros
working during the day!
Cons
having to work every evening and being away from my family!
Great workplace atmosphere
Library Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 27, 2012
HRSB is an equal opportunity employer, treat its staff great, and staff seem to all display high standards of professionalism but have fun, encouraging attitudes. I recommend this employer based on the great staff and work places but due to funding cuts, advancement might not happen as soon as a potential employee looking to advance might hope for.
An interesting place to work with lots of responsabities.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSSeptember 27, 2012
My day at work consisted of teaching approximatively 230 kids, 7 classes of 30 kids. Always so busy trying to help everyone. Always learning to use new programs, teaching strategies and management skills. Managing my day, the curriculum, the kids and dicipline was my stong asset. I love organization. Enjoyed the co-workers at a professional level.The hardest part of the job was the lack of support from the parents. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the students and the students being happy.
Pros
summer vacation
Cons
not enough time during the day to meet the expectations
Loved working with elementary school students
Lunch monitor (Former Employee) –  Lower sackville nsSeptember 4, 2012
Great environment. Learned to be patient. Coworkers and staff at school were helpful and courteous
Pros
great students
Cons
not enough hours
producive and a nice friendly atmosphere
Excel Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 10, 2012
a typial day was watching chidren. I learned that every child is different.management is ok. my co workers were good to work with, The hardest part was dealing with children when they were not listening. seeing all the children on a dailt basis.
Pros
meeting all kinds of chidren

Halifax Regional School Board Reviews by Location