Halifax Regional School Board Employee Reviews

EPA work at Joesph Howe School
Educational Assistant Program (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 September 2017
Great getting to work with the kids but found it frustrating that issues that arose weren't always dealt with efficiently. Work environment was at times stressful but very rewarding
Ok place to work.
International Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS28 August 2017
Depending on your position this could be a great work environment, I didn't have supportive management, long hours and nothing was ever considered good enough. Workplace bullies were also a major factor. However, I am sure that's not all departments.
Fulfilling and stimulating place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 August 2017
Everyday was a learning experience, Department Heads were always willing to share resources and debrief lesson plans with new teachers. Always a challenge to keep students engaged, one of my favourite parts of the job was trying to meet that challenge- the ability to redesign a lesson if it didn't work for one group of students, find a way to make it work, differentiate instruction as a means to guide even differently-abled students to the same outcomes.
A good organisation to work for with room for learning opportunities
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 July 2017
Working for HRSB is good. They offer pensions, benefits and a good salary. The work is very challenging at times and you need to be prepared for anything and everything as a teacher.
Opportunities and Limits
Leader (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS20 July 2017
Pro: There are several opportunities for the employees to show their creative side through planning games, activities, crafts, etc.
Con: Minimal compensation and benefits.
Exciting environment with lots of variety.
School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 May 2017
Loved working at Lockview High School. I worked under an excellent team of administrators who really cared about the students' welfare. I liked issuing transcripts for the students moving on to the most exciting part of their education.
Pros
Working with students about to start their future.
Cons
None.
Flexible, Work Life Balance
Substitute Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 May 2017
Great Job If you love working with children
Job life balance and flexible
It could be tough working with different kids for each assignment ,Building trust could be challenging
Loved working with the kids and administration office.
Sub Secretary (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS30 April 2017
Answered phone, dealt with parants.reported to the principle and teachers, Took lunch money and organized lunch. did all the attendance for the teachers..entered in system.
Pros
loved the hours
Cons
underpaid
Fun enviroment
Student Monitor (Current Employee) –  Monitor, AB17 April 2017
Watching children and getting to experience both their hardships and their accomplishments makes for a rewarding job. The job is not paid well and there are not many hours required but it has its benefits for stay at home moms to return into the workforce
Ok
Library Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 March 2017
As a support staff there is little room for advancement and no respect. The support staff are the lowest of the low and are treated as such. Zero respect and zero cares.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list

Want to know more about Halifax Regional School Board?

Ask a question
I love my job
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 February 2017
Its a great place to work, i enjoy every minute of it. There is no breaks and it is a fast pace environment. You need to be able to conform quickly to changes on a daily basis.
posative and fun work place
Lunch Monitor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 January 2017
The Halifax Regional School Board was the main company who is the ones who took care of everything. Easy people to talk to and very good listeners
Right place to work
EPA Subtitute (Current Employee) –  Varios location15 October 2016
Vulnerable sector to connected
work with special needs
Good team member
professional staff
Learning different devises
enjoyed play with kids
enjoyed helping them with school task at the class room
Pros
Not free lunch
Cons
short hours
Educational Program Assistant(EPA) (Former Employee) –  MULTIPLE SCHOOLS28 September 2016
Loved going to work everyday. Enjoyed the challenge. Loved the interaction with both students and teachers. Great way too meet new people. Learn something new everyday. Every child is unique and individual.
Pros
Summers off
Working with schools, teachers, etc.
Substitute Secretary (Current Employee) –  HRM, NS22 August 2016
I love working in the school system, but as a substitute the pay is low. Would like to gain pernament employment. I have worked in nineteen different schools since November, 2015.
Pros
summers off
Cons
pay
Fun and Interesting
Educational Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 April 2016
With kids, everyday is new so HRSB became an amazing place to head to in the morning. Short days, so lots of free time after work.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
bad pay
Love working with children but the job is high stress with little to no perks
Recreational Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS14 April 2016
My position allowed me to form wonderful bonds with the children I worked with. I love feeling like I make a difference in their day to day life. The program itself is quite poorly run, with little to no support for staff. We lost 2 staff during the first half of the year which have yet to be replaced which puts a strain on our 15-1 ratio when additional children are placed into groups to make up for lack of staff. The rate of pay is rather low considering the workload, as well as many unpaid days off and no possibility of health/dental coverage.
Pros
free child care, fun, everyday presents possibility for new experiences, lasting bonds with children
Cons
no benefits, low pay, low hours with no possibility for extra, unpaid PD days, little management support, high noise levels
excellent, smart and funny people to work with, very socialable people
DUTY or LUNCHTIME MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Beechville, NS24 February 2016
Job started at 11:00 (snack + coffee time) 11:15- 11:55am working with the grade 5 and 6 students. Also grades 7 + 8's @ 12:15-12:55. Making sure they don't run down the Hallways., Supervising them, advised them to throw their garbage away. As, it is always their responsibility to do so. Watching them, observing their behavoir
making sure they were safe. I learned to love my job, came into work everyday, worked well with everyone. Never had a problem that I can remember. The hardest part of the job, was working alone, when my
co-workers were absent. Love the social interaction between myself + the children., Trying hard not to laugh @ them (silly Behavior) laughed with them. Kids are mostly always happy...
Pros
poutine on Fridays sometimes sheppard's pie
Cons
on my feet a lot
Love working with children
Excel group leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 December 2015
I thought working for HRSB would be a great career with benefits... Not so much I wasn't given hardly any training like I was promised when hired. Looking after a group of 15 or more children is stressful at times especially coming up with fun lesson plans for clubs, art and science, and NO benefits at all! If you are a parent then you won't have any time for after school activities with your child finishing work at 6pm during the week but you do get free after school care working in the program. My work colleagues are great bunch of ladies and we all try to help each other out when needed the salary isn't great and unless you work morning, lunch moniter and afternoon it's hard to get enough hours to pay all the bills
Pros
Free childcare
Cons
No benefits low salary stressful job
Good Job
Casual Custodian (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 November 2015
Excellent people to work with, very flexible hours are available. If you are looking for a job with Benefits and security then here is one for you!