Halifax Regional School Board Employee Reviews

Ok
Library Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 March 2017
As a support staff there is little room for advancement and no respect. The support staff are the lowest of the low and are treated as such. Zero respect and zero cares.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
I love my job
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 February 2017
Its a great place to work, i enjoy every minute of it. There is no breaks and it is a fast pace environment. You need to be able to conform quickly to changes on a daily basis.
posative and fun work place
Lunch Monitor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 January 2017
The Halifax Regional School Board was the main company who is the ones who took care of everything. Easy people to talk to and very good listeners
Right place to work
EPA Subtitute (Current Employee) –  Varios location15 October 2016
Vulnerable sector to connected
work with special needs
Good team member
professional staff
Learning different devises
enjoyed play with kids
enjoyed helping them with school task at the class room
Pros
Not free lunch
Cons
short hours
Educational Program Assistant(EPA) (Former Employee) –  MULTIPLE SCHOOLS28 September 2016
Loved going to work everyday. Enjoyed the challenge. Loved the interaction with both students and teachers. Great way too meet new people. Learn something new everyday. Every child is unique and individual.
Pros
SUMMERS OFF
Working with schools, teachers, etc.
Substitute Secretary (Current Employee) –  HRM, NS22 August 2016
I love working in the school system, but as a substitute the pay is low. Would like to gain pernament employment. I have worked in nineteen different schools since November, 2015.
Pros
summers off
Cons
pay
Fun and Interesting
Educational Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 April 2016
With kids, everyday is new so HRSB became an amazing place to head to in the morning. Short days, so lots of free time after work.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
bad pay
Love working with children but the job is high stress with little to no perks
Recreational Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS14 April 2016
My position allowed me to form wonderful bonds with the children I worked with. I love feeling like I make a difference in their day to day life. The program itself is quite poorly run, with little to no support for staff. We lost 2 staff during the first half of the year which have yet to be replaced which puts a strain on our 15-1 ratio when additional children are placed into groups to make up for lack of staff. The rate of pay is rather low considering the workload, as well as many unpaid days off and no possibility of health/dental coverage.
Pros
free child care, fun, everyday presents possibility for new experiences, lasting bonds with children
Cons
no benefits, low pay, low hours with no possibility for extra, unpaid PD days, little management support, high noise levels
excellent, smart and funny people to work with, very socialable people
DUTY or LUNCHTIME MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Beechville, NS24 February 2016
Job started at 11:00 (snack + coffee time) 11:15- 11:55am working with the grade 5 and 6 students. Also grades 7 + 8's @ 12:15-12:55. Making sure they don't run down the Hallways., Supervising them, advised them to throw their garbage away. As, it is always their responsibility to do so. Watching them, observing their behavoir
making sure they were safe. I learned to love my job, came into work everyday, worked well with everyone. Never had a problem that I can remember. The hardest part of the job, was working alone, when my
co-workers were absent. Love the social interaction between myself + the children., Trying hard not to laugh @ them (silly Behavior) laughed with them. Kids are mostly always happy...
Pros
poutine on Fridays sometimes sheppard's pie
Cons
on my feet a lot
Love working with children
Excel group leader (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 December 2015
I thought working for HRSB would be a great career with benefits... Not so much I wasn't given hardly any training like I was promised when hired. Looking after a group of 15 or more children is stressful at times especially coming up with fun lesson plans for clubs, art and science, and NO benefits at all! If you are a parent then you won't have any time for after school activities with your child finishing work at 6pm during the week but you do get free after school care working in the program. My work colleagues are great bunch of ladies and we all try to help each other out when needed the salary isn't great and unless you work morning, lunch moniter and afternoon it's hard to get enough hours to pay all the bills
Pros
Free childcare
Cons
No benefits low salary stressful job
Good Job
Casual Custodian (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 November 2015
Excellent people to work with, very flexible hours are available. If you are looking for a job with Benefits and security then here is one for you!
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS27 October 2015
Its a great job but i am not working enough to pay pills. I need another income or a change to something else cause teaching is not working.
As a work term
HRBS Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 October 2015
HRBS is alright job, i had fun fixing, upgrading computers and etc. the people i work with is good, they help each other out with troubleshooting etc. The only thing i didn't like was the hours but due to my lack of sleep it couldn't be help (later on i got use to it). i had a alright time here, and i would recommend for people who are looking for jobs. and one last thing is that i did this as a work term so i have no clue what the salary is so...sorry
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Long hours (but i got use to it)
Fun place to work
Lunch Monitor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2015
start at 12 noon work till 1, help children open there lunches get them ready for outside. I love children so much fun to be around
good work place
2 .Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  auburn drive,halifax west ,Lockvew high school5 February 2015
everyday something new to learn because we move to different schools Good and safe place to work but difficult to get permanaent positions right now I enjoyed working with schools because I feel I am a born teacher teaching is my passion
It s a challenging job and needs lot of energy and creativity.
If you can get in, good career
Term and Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality6 November 2014
Limited full time positions available in Physical Education so I am looking for a new career.
Halifax Regional School Board
Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax15 July 2014
I truly enjoy working the the Halifax Regional School Board. I do however feel unappreicated in many situations and feel we are strongly underpaid.
Pros
helping children everyday
Cons
pay
Day to day responsibilities and duties
Library Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 June 2014
My daily responsibilities included meeting the library needs for students and staff alike. This included but was not limited to the lending of books and resources to both staff and students for the purpose of leisurely reading, research, project work, and assignments. I also was asked to offer my assistance with curriculum support to the teachers in providing of resources. At the beginning of the year and throughout, I was responsible for managing the Library budget, ordering supplies, resources, books, and materials. I regularly take care of all Library materials: cleaning, repairing, replacing, and weeding of outdated materials. As part of my role as Librarian, I ran two groups which were held over the lunch hours: Grade 8 and 9 Book Club and Grade 7 and 8 Writing and Illustrators Club. I also volunteered regularly throughout the year at various school functions, coaching both the Volleyball and Soccer teams, chaperoning school trips and dances, organzing and supervising the morning visual announcements, and helping out with anything I can in the school environment. I found this to be a fantastic way to get to know both the students and staff alike.
Pros
I enjoyed going to work every single day.
Cons
In my years with the Halifax Regional School Board I was fortunate to work in a variety of teaching positions
Guidance Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 December 2013
I enjoyed the day to day challenges of my teaching over the years. I was motivated to earn a masters in education as well as taking a variety of other courses at the graduate level while I taught. I enjoyed learning from my colleagues as well as generally interacting and socializing with them.
I feel that I was able to help students choose appropriate courses for their future academic programs.
I enjoyed the counseling part of my job. My background as a registered social worker (MSW) was very helpful.
Pros
I took groups of students all over Canada on 8 exchange trips
Cons
None come to mind that are worth mentioning
Typical day at work
Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fall River8 June 2013
I get to help a few of the junior high students with their school work. I am usually in the classroom with the kids. The teacher explains what needs to be done and I help the student when s/he needs the help. Sometime I encourage the student to focus on their work and other times, I have the explain the work in different ways (and hope that they understand). Sometimes, I have to try to calm the student down. I'm in different classes with the students, so each day can be a diverse day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Halifax Regional School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3