Halifax Regional Municipality Employee Reviews

enjoyed working with computers/the job
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 September 2017
Myself & co-worker worked together as we setup the computers daily and looked after customers coming in to vote and helped them be on the voting list.
Pros
not long enough employment
Cons
short term
Productive, Busy all the time
Adminstrative Support 3 (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 June 2017
Typical day, working with management staff, union staff members, council, contractors and the public every day, typing correspondence, computer inputting on spreadsheets, outlook e mails, answering multi phone lines, setting up files and updating, working with employee payroll, tracking invoices with outside contractors, photo copying, scanning, shredding, answering electronic e mails, ordering office supplies for 3 busy departments when needed, researching on outstanding work to be done with HRM.

Workplace hectic, multi tasking, fellow employees were just as busy, we all helped out when required, enjoying working with co workers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Waiting on outside contractors to fix outstanding repair calls
Fun, interesting, educational, proactive learning environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheet Harbour, NS16 April 2017
Loving this work environment and direct management. Very encouraging and engaging. I have already been invited to take part in children's programming training.
Pros
Manage my personal life along with work hours.
Cons
Not enough hours. I am just hired as part time (15 hrs bw
Great job for high school and college students
Lifeguard and Aquatics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia13 February 2017
I loved working as a lifeguard for HRM. The pay was really fair and I met so many fun and exciting people. there is room to grow and you learn so much about yourself and other people. It's just a fabulous job for a high school or college student.
great employees and good job environment
asphalt raker (Current Employee) –  Burnside, NS2 January 2017
Showing up to work everyday knowing that you are doing something to make your community a better place was fulfilling. It is easy to get up in the morning knowing you going to an environment where you can get along with all of your co-workers and get the job done.
Fun but badly managed
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS10 December 2016
I've worked there for five years and it took me that log to be completely nauseated a senior staff memeber, they have had several managers over the years and every time it's like starting over, the furthest thing from a smooth transition. Staff is not disciplined for missing work or not showing up and they are so desperate at times they get uncertified people to work! They pay well and run great programs but management needs work.
Pros
Access to facilities
Cons
Poor managed
Election Area Officer
Election Area Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 November 2016
I throughly enjoyed this position. Work was steady, deadlines were known in advance, All co-workers were great to work with, and Management was helpful and approachable
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
term position
Supportive management, friendly staff and wonderful experience
Inclusion Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS13 November 2016
Working during the summer as an inclusion support worker was a very rewarding experience. With numerous opportunities to advance current knowledge, free training and as well as appropriate guidance to ensure an enjoyable work experience.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
low wage
Crossing children across the street
School crossing guard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2016
Crossing the children across the street back and fourth. And talking to there pariants about safty and educating the kids about safty. And you where a vest and hold a stop sing
Great coworkers
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Hrm25 August 2016
Disorganized, advancement not based on merit but instead on seniority. Makes it tough to have to work hard when merit doesn't factor in to advancement
Pros
Job security
Cons
Disorganized
Fun workplace with great people
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 August 2016
I was a student intern in charge of completing a only calendar used by police volunteers for neighborhood watch. I also developed a search suggestion feature that was to be used on a resign of the city websites.
The people who work there are very professional, helpful and considerate.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS11 February 2016
A typical day would be checking e-mails, responding to them and preparing and attending committee meetings. Gathering information and preparing reports.

My co-workers were all team players and if they asked for help or I asked for help, everyone was more than willing to pitch in to get projects completed.

The hardest part of the day was to deal with complaints and resolving them in a timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, they are the most professional, intelligent team players that I have ever worked with.
Pros
Completion of a project, which were varied and sometimes would take months and years.
Cons
There was never enough time in the day to complete all the work.
Good customer service job throughout my education
Bingo Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 October 2015
Practice public relations and customer service skills to enhance customer experience and increase sales volumes.
Provided quick, efficient and courteous service to patrons
Verification of winning cards and prize pay out to winning customers
Management of cash float through secure cash handling practices
Large handling and distribution of cash
Was expected to resolve customer issues
Pros
Adaptable work schedule during school
The job was short but sweet
Skating Instructor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 February 2015
I only worked for a couple months, but the job was enjoyable. I was able to teach young children how to ice skate properly and safely.
The rink was very cold though, but the hourly pay was good.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Cold environment
Government Job
Traffic Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 November 2014
The pace was calm. There was usually something to do, but no one was ever in a hurry. I really wish that there would have more stuff to do.

The people were great. I never felt left out or excluded.

Management was good most days. There was (still is) some miscommunication between our (the student`s)supervisors

We spent about half our time in the field and half in the office
Productice workplace, always keeps me busy and motivated to learn more.
HRM Front Desk Staff / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax Nova Scotia21 November 2014
I learned how to interact better with custormers and to handle money even better, i also learned how to do bank deposits and i am always learning new things everyday through work.
preventive maitance and minor and major repairs on fleet equipment
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 April 2014
Worked at a wide range of Heavy and light duty equippment , which was used for road construction and repair. This equipment was also used for snow and ice removal.... Our management kept a well organized work place. with an excellent result of team work. hardest part of the job was dealing with weather conditions on snow and ice removal...... The most enjoyable part of the job was working as crew chief which involved working along with management , union and fellow workers,,,,,,This created a new experience everyday.....
Pros
shift premiums, benifits, and overtime hrs
productive and fun workplace
Delivery Driver (UPS) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 March 2014
It was a fun and more than just work. I learned so many things there. I learned how to deal with new people which means perfect customer service.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
part time
An Internship is Unpaid
Intern (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 May 2013
Everyone is nice, the work is not easy. I have two computers running programs while I do paperwork. My boss is nice and understanding. It is a bit to quiet for me, but restful after years of dealing with the public.
Pros
Work
Cons
no pay