The Halifax & Region Military Family Resource Centre (H&R MFRC) is a provincially registered charitable organization that is governed by an independent and democratically elected volunteer Board of Directors. The H&R MFRC provides quality programs and services to our military community, which includes programming and services for the whole family.
We are currently seeking six Summer Camp Counselors based out of both our Halifax Site and Shearwater Site. Reporting to the Youth Services Coordinator, the Summer Camp Counsellor is responsible for the planning and implementation of a 9 week, quality summer day camp for children 5-12. Providing age-appropriate, stimulating activities that promote social, physical, cognitive and emotional development in children and youth.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Assist in the planning, development, and facilitating of quality programming.
- Responsible for the safety and well being of the children and youth in attendance
- Actively facilitate programs and supervise children
- Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the learning environment and the equipment
- Ensure camp and activities are safe and policies are adhered to
- Establish and maintain effective communication with children, parents, and staff;
- Oversee to the day-to-day programming and scheduling
- Assist in providing support to program staff and volunteers
- Be a positive role model for participants and staff
- Follow program plans and schedules in a timely manner
- Maintain accurate records: i.e. sign-in and out forms, attendance, accident and incident forms, and programming
Experience working with children
Previous summer camp experience considered an asset
Possess the ability to work as part of a team and with volunteers.
Current First-aid and CPR certification.
The ability to speak French is considered an asset.
Knowledge of the unique challenges of the Military Family Lifestyle
Must pass screening process of the Child Abuse Registry and a Criminal Records check
Must possess valid drivers license with access to reliable transportation
Applications are being accepted until March 3, 2014 at 4pm
Start Date: 23 June – 29 August 2014
Salary: $10.40/hr plus 4% vacation pay
Those interested please forward your cover letter and resume.
Note: We appreciate and thank you for your interest in working for the Halifax & Region Military Family Resource Centre, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.