VOLUNTEER POSITION – CONSTRUCTION: SITE FOREPERSON
Purpose: To carry out the stated purpose, “To use our knowledge, skills, community relationships, volunteers and other resources to create and promote safe and affordable home ownership options with the aim of alleviating the cycle of poverty within our community of Habitat for Humanity Halton”.
The Site Foreperson is responsible for the operations of the overall construction site in collaboration with the Construction Manager.
Responsible to: The Director of Construction
Time Commitment: 2-3 days per week.
Job Duration: For duration of assigned project
Location: Various construction sites and project locations in the affiliate service area
- Overall responsibility for the construction site in tandem with Construction Manager.
- Assist with hands on work when required.
- Oversee daily construction schedule.
- Assist with co-facilitating Crew Leader Training.
- Work with consultants, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Work with, mentor and manage Crew Leaders.
- Responsible for fostering positive and rewarding experience for all.
- Schedule and coordinate daily activities.
- Attend Construction Committee meetings as required.
- Responsible for Quality Assurance and Control.
- Ensure safety on site at all times.
- Maintain clean and orderly work place.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Understanding of Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it
- Ability to work with sub-trades, suppliers and diverse volunteers.
- Previous experience in an interactive volunteer based program
- Previous HFH experience an asset.
- Have an understanding of the Construction Process, Building Code and safe building practice.
- Formal residential on-site construction experience required.
- Carpentry background an asset.
- Ability to work with a team or independently.
- Understanding of contracts an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill and the ability to effectively communicate with HFH Halton staff members and volunteers, suppliers, sub contractors and other builders.
- Cooperative and enthusiastic at all times.
Orientation and Training:
- Mandatory Affiliate Volunteer Orientation and Safety Training
Working Conditions: Various build site locations across the affiliate service area. This could include both interior and exterior work year round, rain or shine.
All volunteers on a construction site must wear CSA footwear. These shoes can either be provided at time of your shift or you can bring your own.
Participant group: Construction Committee, Property Development Committee and Affiliate Staff and Affiliate Volunteers
Screening Process: Interview with construction manager and /or supervisory delegate with recent police check and references.
- Use of professional skills in a volunteer capacity
- Satisfaction of contributing to HFH Halton’s mission.
- Greater knowledge to impact and affect change for a deserving Habitat family.
- Involved in decisive process related to HFH build.
- Letter of reference
- HFHH T-shirt.
- 10% off ReStore purchases
- Socially connected to your community.
- Leadership ability.
- Ongoing Professional Development Training