Please read our complete application instructions, and apply directly through on our website: http://www.habitathalton.ca/Get-Involved/New-Applicants.aspx
VOLUNTEER POSITION – RESTORE: WAREHOUSE
Purpose: To carry out the stated purpose, “To use our knowledge, skills, community relationships, volunteers and other resources to create and promote safe and affordable home ownership options with the aim of alleviating the cycle of poverty within our community of Habitat for Humanity Halton”.
The role of the Warehouse Volunteer is to provide assistance in the ReStore with loading and unloading of merchandise off trucks as well as set up displays of Kitchens or other large items. This support allows HFH Halton to raise funds to cover the affiliate’s operational costs and build homes in the Halton community.
Responsible to: The ReStore staff member on duty
Time Commitment: Minimum 1 shift of 4 hours per week
Hours of Operation –
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday - 9:00am to 6:00pm,
Thursday - 9:00am to 8:00pm
Saturday - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Job Duration: Minimum 6 month commitment
Location: HFH Halton Milton ReStore - 25 Brown St., Milton, Ontario
- Provide direct support with merchandise, loading and unloading trucks
- Be able to set up Kitchens and/or other large items for display in the ReStore
- Be able to respond to customer inquiries regarding merchandise when needed;
- Assist with loading and unloading of merchandise from/to customers’ vehicles;
- Actively approach customers to help them find items they are looking for;
- Be courteous, respectful and professional to both the customer and your fellow volunteers;
- Train and provide support to all new volunteers as required;
- Ensure work area is clean, tidy and safe at all times;
- Assist in providing information on Habitat for Humanity and making referrals when appropriate;
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Understanding of the Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it;
- Ability to work with a team or independently;
- Friendly, approachable, outgoing
- Willing to take the initiative
- Previous customer service experience is an asset but not mandatory;
- Communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with customers, HFH Halton staff members and volunteers.
- Must be physically fit and to lift and unload heavy items (25lbs +);
Training: Must complete Safety Health and Environment training
Working Conditions: Affiliate location
- All Warehouse Volunteers must wear CSA footwear. These shoes can either be provided at time of your shift or you can bring your own.
Participant Group: ReStore Customers, Affiliate Staff and Affiliate Volunteers
Screening Process: Interview
- Use professional skills in a volunteer capacity
- Satisfaction of contributing to HFH Halton’s mission
- HFHH T-shirt
- 10% off ReStore purchases
- Training development
- Letter of Reference