Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver (HFHGV) is looking to expand our team! HFHGV is currently seeking 2 individuals for the position of Truck Driver. We are seeking an 1 individual to drive a 1 tonne truck, and 1 to drive a 5 tonne truck.
But first, let’s share some detail on the organization. HFHGV works with partner families to build safe, decent affordable housing. What is interesting about our model is the ReStore. Our ReStores receive new and used home décor and building materials donated by homeowners, contractors, retailers and manufacturers, which we sell to the public at greatly reduced prices. Money raised through sales covers 100% of the cost of HFHGV’s operations. That means that every dollar donated to HFHGV can go directly towards building homes for families in need. It also means that we reduce waste and recycle in a way that greatly impacts our local communities.
If you are looking to combine your professional pursuits with a social cause this is an excellent opportunity for you. A fast paced and challenging environment, where everyone is there with a greater purpose in mind, HFHGV’s employees, volunteers and customer experience drive our ability to meet the needs for affordable housing.
Reporting to the Director of ReStore Operations, the Truck Drivers are responsible for the loading, transport and delivery of donations for resale at the assigned ReStore. Working alongside the Driver Helper/Swamper, the Drivers are responsible for the safe operation of the truck, timely and friendly pick up and efficient delivery of all goods and materials.
- Housing for All
- Human Dignity
- Faith in Action
- Diversity and Inclusiveness
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Drives a 1 OR 5 tonne diesel truck for purposes of loading, transporting and delivering used goods and materials to ReStore
- Maintains radio or telephone contact with ReStore Manager, donors and Director of Operations to receive instructions or be dispatched to new location.
- Keeps accurate and detailed reports, as required.
- Position blocks and ties rope around items to secure cargo for transport.
- Cleans and inspects the truck to ensure safety of the vehicle, as well as, maintenance for aesthetic purposes.
- Assists in loading and unloading truck manually.
- Works efficiently with assigned Driver Helper/Swamper
- Complies with all policies and procedures
- These are representative duties and responsibilities which are not all encompassing and may change from time to time.
Education and Experience
- 3 – 5 years of experience driving a 1 OR 5 tonne diesel truck, no air brakes
- A valid driver's license and clean driving record
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong listening skills
- Strong understanding of location in relation the environment.
- Ability to remain cool under pressure, considering specifically managing routing, traffic, pick up and drop off demands
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to use physical strength and muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects.
- Ability to handle tasks that require physical strength and endurance
- Ability to quickly respond with hand, finger or foot to a signal.
For more information on Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver please visit us at www.habitatgv.ca
Thank you for your interest. Only those candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted directly.