Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver (HFHGV) is looking to expand our team! HFHGV is currently seeking someone for the position of Accountant.
But first, let’s share some detail on the organization. HFHGV works with partner families to build safe, decent affordable housing. What is interesting about our model is the ReStore. Our ReStores receive new and used home décor and building materials donated by homeowners, contractors, retailers and manufacturers, which we sell to the public at greatly reduced prices. Money raised through sales covers 100% of the cost of HFHGV’s operations. That means that every dollar donated to HFHGV can go directly towards building homes for families in need. It also means that we reduce waste and recycle in a way that greatly impacts our local communities.
If you looking to combine your professional pursuits with social cause this is an excellent opportunity for you. A fast paced environment, where everyone is there with a greater purpose in mind, HFHGV provides a challenging environment in which employees, volunteers and customer experience drive our ability to meet the needs for affordable housing.
Reporting to the CEO, the Accountant is responsible for maintaining all financial records for the society and its operating divisions, preparing monthly financial reports for management and the Society Board of Directors and is dedicated to the continuous improvement of cost and internal controls.
- Housing for All
- Human Dignity
- Faith in Action
- Diversity and Inclusiveness
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain General Ledger to full financial statements.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for management and the Board comparing actual to budget results for the month and year-to-date.
- Analyze major variances to budget and prepare commentary to accompany monthly financial reports.
- Analyze G/L accounts as required.
- Collect, obtain approval and code to correct activity area for all invoices. Enter invoices into G/L for twice monthly cheque runs.
- Prepare employee expense cheques.
Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
- Reconcile cash register tapes from Habitat retail operations with bank statements.
- Maintain employee files
- Review time sheets from all employees and submit to external payroll service.
- Maintain required accounting information for WCB, benefit plans, vacation entitlements and employee RRSP deductions.
Grants and Donations
- Track all grants and donations received and maintain accurate records of restricted use funds.
- Prepare periodic status reports for sponsor organizations.
Year End Procedures
- Prepare year-end working papers for external auditors.
- Prepare annual Registered Charity Information Return for submission to Revenue Canada.
Budgets and Forecasts
- Prepare the annual budget for the Society and its operating divisions.
- Prepare periodic cash flow projections as required.
- Maintain company bank accounts.
- Monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare inter-company bank transfers.
- Bank deposits.
- Maintain permanent files.
- Keep a record of all material contracts.
- Review mortgage receivable documents from external mortgage reporting company.
- Maintain a record of all charity donation receipts issued for purposes of completing the Annual Charity Information Return.
- Comply with all policies and procedures
- These are representative duties and responsibilities which are not all encompassing and may change from time to time.
Education and Experience
- 3 – 5 years of previous accounting experience is required
- Previous accounting experience with non-profit organizations would be an asset.
- Completion of or enrolment in a designated accounting program would be an asset.
- Strong experience and thorough knowledge of all aspects of full cycle accounting, A/R, A/P, year-end closing procedures and preparation of budgets and cash flow forecasts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be proficient in the use of Sage 50 Premium accounting software program
- Advanced level skills Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Aptitude for problem solving and analysis
- Strong prioritization skills and commitment to meeting deadlines
For more information on Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver please visit us at www.habitatgv.ca
Thank you for your interest. Only those candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted directly.