Habitat For Humanity

Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews in Canada

found out how valuable company was to community
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 29, 2016
-start up computer
-enter program
-enter daily receipts and expenditures
-had to place receipts and expenditure slips on face of photocopier and copy them at the end of the week.

-I learned the company's process in record keeping of receipts and expenditures

-management was as patient as can be in teaching

-co-workers were somewhat helpful

-hardest part of the job became apparent as even though instructions were given, I could not concentrate as I was experiencing a health problem at the start.

- I got my own office space, I liked entering the expenditures & etc. into computer
Pros
the job itself
Cons
at this moment in time, the inability to concentrate didn't allow me to pick up instructions properly
The Job was alright, but was poorly managed.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONDecember 22, 2015
I would enjoy a regular busy day of disassembling donations. The only difficulty I would have is that many senior members of staff were insulting handicapped people on a regular basis. The running of the business was also poorly done also, and as a result I quit. Apart from the attitude problems that the management displayed, I found the job to be enjoyable. With my many years experience in construction, both residential and industrial, and also minor factory work involving the making of blueprints, and the making of cupolas and 2 tiers. This, as well as the making of gazebos, give me a good understanding of how to perform the work I was assigned at the Habitat for Humanity. As I mentioned earlier, the only trouble I had with my job at Habitat for Humanity was the management's bad attitude, which is why I left.
Pros
Easy to perform labour work
Cons
Management had a bad attitude towards handicapped people.
Working at Habitat for Humanity
Restore Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Through Habitat for Humanity, I have learned and experienced more than I could have imagined. I truly enjoy going to work and the positive energy in the workplace makes for a quick shift. My coworkers are considered family at this point and I wouldn't change that at all. The most enjoyable part of this job is getting to meet and interact with a wide range of people and personalities, while raising money for local builds in the community. The hardest part of the job is having to see first hand the different struggles people go through on a day to day basis. It is our job to help them to the best of our ability, but sometimes it can be too much, and that can be disheartening. I will always cherish my time at Kingston's Habitat for Humanity.
Productive & fulfilling job
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greater Metro Manila, PhillippinesOctober 23, 2015
I learned to interact with the stakeholders and listening to what they say is very important to have a good working relationship.

The hardest part of the job is to teach the stakeholders (beneficiaries) & the volunteers how to do the work and its enjoying to work with them even though they are not that skilled. What is important is they love to help the stakeholders & they help a lot.
Pros
Good accommodations & food
Cons
Work long hours
amazing place to work with a great message
Pick up driver (Former Employee) –  DartmouthMarch 18, 2015
typical day at work was opening and closing the store, assisting customers with their purchases, assisting loading and unloading trucks. met some amazing people and made some new friends, most enjoyable part of the job was helping raise money for the homes that habitat built.
Pros
building home for less fortunate people that wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage any other way.
Cons
heavy lifting.
Excellent place to work, great people and great opportunities.
CUSTOMER SERVICE\STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCDecember 7, 2015
I started volunteering at ReStore purely to give myself something to do on the weekends, not really caring about impressing anybody or the impact it will have later on in my life.

The ReStore was a small store with a lot of personality, and never had I felt stressed or immensely pressured to my responsibilities here as I have felt everywhere else.
The staff are excellent leaders who radiate a sense of positivity and value that is often hard to find in workplaces where people can sometimes be more concerned about taking care of themselves and doing their own job. And this positivity is extremely vital for anybody in a workplace, whether they are just starting out or trying to keep up with their lives and push themselves forward in the world of working.
The staff at the ReStore are truly an exemplary example of how a workplace SHOULD be maintained; with respect to others that they would wish for themselves.

If anybody is looking to either gain experience in the retail world or even just keep themselves busy as I did, I couldn't think of a better place to do it.
Pros
Amazing staff, valuable experience.
Cons
Volunteering does not pay unfortunately.
Great Job
Shipping & Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2015
Loved this job gave me the knowledge that i need to advance throught my career Gave me the feeling of happiness of knowing that i was helping people that needed a hand up in the community and putting them in to homes. the only job that had the biggest impact on my life.
Volunteer opportunity
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2015
i loved volunteering with habitat for humanity, it gave me the opportunity to learn how to use new tools in a safe manner, i was also able to learn new skills under the supervision of qualified people. the culture of habitat for humanity is amazing, they are all about helping people and building community. i felt like part of the team.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no pay
Slow paced learning and helping environment
Construction Framer/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 16, 2015
Being part of the schools co operation in teaching the students how to build homes, it was a joint effort to construct these homes for families in need. It felt good knowing that at the end of all of this, a family in need would be living here. I too benefited from the learning experience, and the joy that came from working side by side with my fellow classmates.
Pros
Helping a family who needed it
Cons
really slow paced
Volunteer
Volunteer Coordinator Intern (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 11, 2016
I acted as the Volunteer Coordinator Intern at HFHRD. I did data entry or potential volunteers and researched potential companies who could volunteer hours.
Friendly environment
Volunteer - Construction Handyman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
I enjoyed helping the community by assisting in build the house and I loved working with the power tools because I enjoy hands-on work a lot.
was okay
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 16, 2016
was interesting and every day you did something new and met new people made friends with the co-workers and found it to be enjoyable with them around
Pros
community
Cons
no pay
Habitat Restore
Warehouse Lead Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 1, 2015
Fun to work there first 2 years. Last year and 8 months not fun anymore.(abusive management). high turn over due to humiliating and bullying staff.
Pros
great people
Cons
bad managemant
We demolished a house
Volunteer work to help demolish a house (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJanuary 7, 2016
It was a great experience working hard and getting to work with grown ups really showed me the work force from a young age.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
not a stable job
good company
Framer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
great company to work for never once had a problem, every question was immediately answered to great detail, always aware of problems and fix right away .
Pros
meet lots of foreign family's
Cons
its volunteering
prodictive and fun enviorment
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough on BermonsidyJune 18, 2015
I love to go to Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity, because i got to be around with great staff and customers. I assist customers with household building, washroom, painting supplies, and furniture. Habitat for Humanity, also help build house for families in need, and most of the profits they make in the Restore, goes to do exact that and more. When i go to Habitat on my days off, i go there because the staffs are loving,to be around. Customers, are also friendly and happy when they come at the Restore, because they know where there money is going and the staffs and volunteers are polite, hard working, honest, and very respectful towards them.
Pros
free pizza lunch
Cons
sometimes it get tired
Great people, Physically exhausting, Volunteer hours ONLY
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONOctober 5, 2015
Habitat for Humanity is a volunteering organization. There is no pay. The people that work in this organization are very nice and teach you how to go about your responsibilities.
Overall workday
Home-Building Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
i thoroughly enjoyed new daily tasks, learning about the building codes and seeing the construction and renovation of a house from the ground up.
Pros
free lunch, wings, positive environment
Cons
5-6
Volunteer Experience
Was a volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 5, 2015
A good way to manage multiple skills at once, multiple challenges arose while there were other volunteer who were will to help and assist
Fun and helpful volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 1, 2015
great work for volunteering, it helps give homes to people who are not financially stable or cannot afford other homes in the area

4.4