Habitat For Humanity

Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
We demolished a house
Volunteer work to help demolish a house (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: not a stable job
It was a great experience working hard and getting to work with grown ups really showed me the work force from a young age.
Oppressive leadership
Manager (Former Employee), WinnipegDecember 23, 2015
Pros: Construction Department, Volunteers
Cons: CEO and dysfunctional office culture
A non-profit with the most for-profit attitude I have ever seen from a CEO. All business, little humanity (other than a fascade when necessary). Money thrown around needlessly to impress clients, bonuses for staff, and bloated salaries for many under qualified management staff. The board has little involvement, which is a national problem for many affiliates.

Unfortunately, what was once an organization that was built on humanity and caring for families thanks to the construction team and volunteers, has become a sad former shell of its once proud self due to an oppressive and dysfunctional office culture.

Poor management of staff and hiring practices causes high turnover of non-management positions, gossip, infighting and lack of best practices at so many levels. Management turns a deaf ear to any problems to maintain their status and bloated paychecks and bonuses.

Every year, this local affiliate is building less and less homes in the city. Organization needs a complete overhaul starting from the top.
The Job was alright, but was poorly managed.
Labourer (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONDecember 22, 2015
Pros: Easy to perform labour work
Cons: Management had a bad attitude towards handicapped people.
I would enjoy a regular busy day of disassembling donations. The only difficulty I would have is that many senior members of staff were insulting handicapped people on a regular basis. The running of the business was also poorly done also, and as a result I quit. Apart from the attitude problems that the management displayed, I found the job to be enjoyable. With my many years experience in construction, both residential and industrial, and also minor factory work involving the making of blueprints, and the making of cupolas and 2 tiers. This, as well as the making of gazebos, give me a good understanding of how to perform the work I was assigned at the Habitat for Humanity. As I mentioned earlier, the only trouble I had with my job at Habitat for Humanity was the management's bad attitude, which is why I left.
Excellent place to work, great people and great opportunities.
CUSTOMER SERVICE\STOCKER (Former Employee), Langford, BCDecember 7, 2015
Pros: Amazing staff, valuable experience.
Cons: Volunteering does not pay unfortunately.
I started volunteering at ReStore purely to give myself something to do on the weekends, not really caring about impressing anybody or the impact it will have later on in my life.

The ReStore was a small store with a lot of personality, and never had I felt stressed or immensely pressured to my responsibilities here as I have felt everywhere else.
The staff are excellent leaders who radiate a sense of positivity and value that is often hard to find in workplaces where people can sometimes be more concerned about taking care of themselves and doing their own job. And this positivity is extremely vital for anybody in a workplace, whether they are just starting out or trying to keep up with their lives and push themselves forward in the world of working.
The staff at the ReStore are truly an exemplary example of how a workplace SHOULD be maintained; with respect to others that they would wish for themselves.

If anybody is looking to either gain experience in the retail world or even just keep themselves busy as I did, I couldn't think of a better place to do it.
Habitat Restore
Warehouse Lead Receiver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 1, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: bad managemant
Fun to work there first 2 years. Last year and 8 months not fun anymore.(abusive management). high turn over due to humiliating and bullying staff.
Great Job
Shipping & Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2015
Loved this job gave me the knowledge that i need to advance throught my career Gave me the feeling of happiness of knowing that i was helping people that needed a hand up in the community and putting them in to homes. the only job that had the biggest impact on my life.
Volunteer opportunity
Labourer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no pay
i loved volunteering with habitat for humanity, it gave me the opportunity to learn how to use new tools in a safe manner, i was also able to learn new skills under the supervision of qualified people. the culture of habitat for humanity is amazing, they are all about helping people and building community. i felt like part of the team.
good company
Framer/Carpenter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: meet lots of foreign family's
Cons: its volunteering
great company to work for never once had a problem, every question was immediately answered to great detail, always aware of problems and fix right away .
Slow paced learning and helping environment
Construction Framer/Labourer (Former Employee), Burlington, ONNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Helping a family who needed it
Cons: really slow paced
Being part of the schools co operation in teaching the students how to build homes, it was a joint effort to construct these homes for families in need. It felt good knowing that at the end of all of this, a family in need would be living here. I too benefited from the learning experience, and the joy that came from working side by side with my fellow classmates.
Productive & fulfilling job
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Greater Metro Manila, PhillippinesOctober 23, 2015
Pros: Good accommodations & food
Cons: Work long hours
I learned to interact with the stakeholders and listening to what they say is very important to have a good working relationship.

The hardest part of the job is to teach the stakeholders (beneficiaries) & the volunteers how to do the work and its enjoying to work with them even though they are not that skilled. What is important is they love to help the stakeholders & they help a lot.
Great people, Physically exhausting, Volunteer hours ONLY
Volunteer (Former Employee), Whitby, ONOctober 5, 2015
Habitat for Humanity is a volunteering organization. There is no pay. The people that work in this organization are very nice and teach you how to go about your responsibilities.
Volunteer Experience
Was a volunteer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 5, 2015
A good way to manage multiple skills at once, multiple challenges arose while there were other volunteer who were will to help and assist
Fun and helpful volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 1, 2015
great work for volunteering, it helps give homes to people who are not financially stable or cannot afford other homes in the area
Overall workday
Home-Building Labourer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Pros: free lunch, wings, positive environment
Cons: 5-6
i thoroughly enjoyed new daily tasks, learning about the building codes and seeing the construction and renovation of a house from the ground up.
Fun, friendly and creative workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Learn new things everyday
A typical day at the Studio was always full of fun, and I learned how to sand, paint, restore every kind of furniture. The other volunteers where always friendly and kind, the most enjoyable part of the volunteering was to be able to do something good for the community.
prodictive and fun enviorment
Customer service Representative (Former Employee), Scarborough on BermonsidyJune 18, 2015
Pros: free pizza lunch
Cons: sometimes it get tired
I love to go to Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity, because i got to be around with great staff and customers. I assist customers with household building, washroom, painting supplies, and furniture. Habitat for Humanity, also help build house for families in need, and most of the profits they make in the Restore, goes to do exact that and more. When i go to Habitat on my days off, i go there because the staffs are loving,to be around. Customers, are also friendly and happy when they come at the Restore, because they know where there money is going and the staffs and volunteers are polite, hard working, honest, and very respectful towards them.
Productive & fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 25, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: No free parking because of location
We arrived early in the morning, greeted the crew, put on safety gears, consulted with the foreman for assignments & instructions, introduced ourselves to our partners or several, and started our assignments. Sometimes we need training, other times we used our knowledge from previous experiences. We have free lunches from a small cafeteria in the building, or the manager ordered pizza. I don't find the job extraneous, but moving the furniture in was a hand full.
productive and fun
Project Worker / Alberta Job Corps (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2015
I enjoyed my time I had there easy to get along with staff I learned a lot everyone where all amazing friendly hard working environment
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 5, 2015
I enjoy volunteering at Habitat for Humanity. It has a fun and easy going environment. The employees and Managers are great.
Great volunteering experience with awesome employees.
Product Tester Volunteer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2015
I love the charity work, the interaction with my colleagues and the public. I have learnt customer service, safety and sustainability practice.