HSBC Employee Reviews

Stay away
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2016
Toxic culture; on paper the company claims they support you to "do the right thing" but in reality, everyone's just busy covering their own behind, everything is driven from Group and they "tell you" to do as you are told even though it's stupid and makes no sense, but reading between the lines, it's "do what you need to do just don't tell me so that I can blame it on you in case this blows up"
Pros
good bonuses depending on what departments you are in
Cons
tons of free riders, heavy bureaucracy, more decision makers than doers
Teamwork
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
This job allows me to use my interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills. The hardest part is the amount of work to do on a daily basis - so much work, not enough time. I love working with my team as we help each other where we can.
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
productive and pleasure workplace
IT Telecom Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
- running BAU
- work on projects
- support co-workers
- resolve network issues as a team
- implementing new project as such VoIP and wireless
Pros
Good work environment and co-workers
Cons
I can't remember!
whatever we received the forms, we had to memo them into excel
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
-daily had to mail out forms( i.e. w8ben or w9 forms)

-whatever we received from brokers or clients, we had to mark them down

-return all the forms back to branches if anything missing.

-the work is three months
Pros
not much restriction
Cons
not long term work
Good
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 April 2016
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
Hard work
Role - Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 April 2016
Its a fabulous place for opportunists only if you can see beyond the horizon. It was a very competitive atmosphere but that helps to bring out the best in you.

Very fun place to work and enjoyed partying with my colleagues after every project milestone. At one point it felt like working with friends rather than co-workers.
World is your platform
Role - Onsite co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 April 2016
Very good office with a fantastic work environment. High paced and very busy with complex needs.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
No such thing as a typical day in this office and many different tasks were presented to be dealt with as needed, with shifting schedules and deadlines.
Fun place to work, lots to learn, great people!
Investment Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON27 March 2016
- A great place to learn, with good management and co-workers
- Overall attitude in the office is warm and welcoming.
- Everyone is encouraged to participate when possible.
- As with any job, there is always stress, but i am happy that it comes from the job itself and not from anywhere else
- All-together, it is a great environment to learn about the financial industry
Pros
Lots to learn
Cons
Can be stressful
Fun and growth
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2016
As a personal banker at HSBC, I am working in a energetic and well managed branch. The supervisors and managers are helpful and my colleagues are also willing to teach. I had learnt a lot from the work. For the position I am working now, I will say the hardest part of the job is to learn to deal with different kinds of customers. However, in this process, I have developed my communication and social skills, which I am sure would be beneficial in my career. Moreover, I feel excited when I meet various clients and situations every single day.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and advisors
Cons
not many career development provided
Enjoyed my Job
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC4 March 2016
For the most part I really liked working for HSBC. I wish I could have learned more in the time I was there. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. I wish I could have transferred when I moved.
Great Summer Internship Program
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 March 2016
During my time at HSBC, I had a great experience working with co-workers and creating the Canada Compliance Intranet site.
Hsbc
Consultant Business Systems (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2016
large corporation with lots of policies and rules due to their past history
work with global teams, offshore helpdesk
market data technology teams are good to work with
I am very well satisfied with this company
OBIEE Developer/Administrator/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada26 February 2016
I have been working here from last 2 years and I feel proud to work with this company. Salary and benefits are quite enough.
Love the people but the less security
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 February 2016
I love the branch I worked at. There is not much work/life balance though. I have been working from 8am to 7pm to meet my client's expectations. Lots of experienced and knowledgeable colleagues. I learned a lot from them.
Excellent work place
Operations, Risk and Administrations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 February 2016
HSBC Canada is a great work place. HSBC Canada values its employees efforts and rewards them base on merits. Its diversified work force, the culture make it a unique place to work with.
Excellent team leads and co workers
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Burnaby bc26 January 2016
Start work 4.30am to 2.00 pm - Monday to Thursday.
Review, adjudicate application with an approval or decline.
Coach branches to restructure files to reduce the banks risk and adhere to lending policy and guidelines.
Analyze financial statements and vet income documentations.
Pull title searches and review appraisals, purchase agreements .
Ensure property meets banks guidelines.
On an ongoing basis coach and mentor new staff.
Assist co workers on complex deals.
Pros
Enjoy working 2 days at home and 2 days in the office
Cons
Really enjoy my job so do not see any cons .
Great Entry Level Position
Fraud Detection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 January 2016
Tasks are very repetitive and do not offer much experience, not much room for advancement within the team, awesome co-workers, worst shift work - no 2 consecutive days off, often asked to work 6 days a week, one extreme shift (start 7 am one day, two days later, start 4pm), management dismissive of suggestions. Great entry level position for students and young professionals. Apply within after 1 year as the organization is keen to internal hiring.
Pros
Lunches provided by building management, great co workers, easy tasks
Cons
inconsistent shift work, dismissive management
Very accomodating environement and friendly environement
Level 2 System Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2016
Very good hours, always flexible schedule, you are the boss of your time management, the more productive you are, the more time you have to perform multiple tasks to increase your productivity level
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Must be very passionate to users of different roles within the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HSBC. Our community is ready to answer.