HSBC Employee Reviews

Good Advance Opportunity
Personal Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2013
Very good promotion opportunity, targets are harsh however, different branches are fighting against each other for the same client in the company
Pros
advancement, salary, benefits
Cons
work-life balance, targets
Excellent team leads and co workers
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Burnaby bc26 January 2016
Start work 4.30am to 2.00 pm - Monday to Thursday.
Review, adjudicate application with an approval or decline.
Coach branches to restructure files to reduce the banks risk and adhere to lending policy and guidelines.
Analyze financial statements and vet income documentations.
Pull title searches and review appraisals, purchase agreements .
Ensure property meets banks guidelines.
On an ongoing basis coach and mentor new staff.
Assist co workers on complex deals.
Pros
Enjoy working 2 days at home and 2 days in the office
Cons
Really enjoy my job so do not see any cons .
Operations Specialist
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver11 May 2015
Great place to work. Salary and Benefits could be better. It is difficult for an employee to connect with the management.
whatever we received the forms, we had to memo them into excel
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
-daily had to mail out forms( i.e. w8ben or w9 forms)

-whatever we received from brokers or clients, we had to mark them down

-return all the forms back to branches if anything missing.

-the work is three months
Pros
not much restriction
Cons
not long term work
Working as a Senior Business Consultant with a leading Fortune 50 bank
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2013
A typical day in office involves coordinating with Business,Offshore teams from China and India.Sometimes have to undergo requirement meetings with Brazil.

Learnt to work effectively work with global teams,understand their culture, respecting the working style and yet getting the best professional results.

Have really enhanced my management capabilities as I have to undertake work across 3-4 countries,ensure functional and technical completeness of a project,manage diverse cultures.

The most hard part of my job was to create behemoth Functional specifications for a truly global product,getting the global requirements,convincing the regional sites to entail the additional cost.
Pros
Deep knowledge of Retail Banking
Cons
Long Hours and working across different timezones
Great salary but poor culture and management
compliance analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 May 2015
Your entire career here will be kissing rear ends for the privilege of being spoken down to everyday.

It's one thing to be spoken down to by, say, the CEO, but when its a consistent stream of middle management donkeys with no real education or self worth, it becomes a little frustrating.

I would say the pay is decent and security is sound, but the culture is very poor and riddled with agency-principal conflicts straight out of a management 101 textbook.

Might be for you, not for me!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
poor culture, ineffective and inexperienced leaders
Work in Progress
AVP (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2016
Used to be a great place to work, have been lots of changes the last few years, few are good. Staff have very low morale, most are just trying to get by until the next job comes along
Teamwork
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
This job allows me to use my interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills. The hardest part is the amount of work to do on a daily basis - so much work, not enough time. I love working with my team as we help each other where we can.
Very accomodating environement and friendly environement
Level 2 System Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2016
Very good hours, always flexible schedule, you are the boss of your time management, the more productive you are, the more time you have to perform multiple tasks to increase your productivity level
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Must be very passionate to users of different roles within the company
productive and pleasure workplace
IT Telecom Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
- running BAU
- work on projects
- support co-workers
- resolve network issues as a team
- implementing new project as such VoIP and wireless
Pros
Good work environment and co-workers
Cons
I can't remember!
Was a great place to work
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario26 June 2012
Working for the company was great but the the Finance department decided to close in April 2012.
Pros
great salary
Product and Fun Place to Work
Summer Intern Business Performance (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2013
Good salary and management was always available to help you out when needed.
Fast past very friendly work environment with foose ball table during break and lunch hours.
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QC31 July 2012
Walking into work every day was fun, co-workers would take 5 minutes to chat about your weekend or just in general. I developed many skills at HSBC Financial but one key skill was time management. I knew when and how long certain tasks would take me to do so I was able to better plan my day to be as productive as possible. The hardest part of my job was the ever changing procedures in a fast past department, but I enjoyed it as it would always keep me on my ties. The most enjoyable part was the many group activities we did as a department that brought us together as a group and made us know one another in a "out of office" environment.
Pros
group paid activities on work hours.
Cons
working long hours on montth end but it happens once a month.
Senior Business Analyst with expertise in retail and wealth management.Extensive knowledge of Retail Banking Product.
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 February 2014
A typical day at work is working with 5 global teams at the same time and tacking their problems.

Learnt to channelize the work according to skills and the knowledge base as also to respect the diversity of individuals.

Have Acquired Truly global Management capabilities.

Hardest part of job was managing ever changing requiremets and trying to somehow seperating global and regional requirements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a talented bunch of diverse individuals and the learning I got working with such a talented group
Pros
Great Learning, Business Exposure, Global Business Understanding
Cons
Long Hours, Bad work life balance
Enjoyed my Job
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC4 March 2016
For the most part I really liked working for HSBC. I wish I could have learned more in the time I was there. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. I wish I could have transferred when I moved.
Excellent work place
Operations, Risk and Administrations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 February 2016
HSBC Canada is a great work place. HSBC Canada values its employees efforts and rewards them base on merits. Its diversified work force, the culture make it a unique place to work with.
An Asian bank in Canada.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 May 2014
The retailing banking of HSBC in Vancouver is really Asian, and the starting salary is relatively lower, compared to other Canadian banks.
Hsbc
Consultant Business Systems (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2016
large corporation with lots of policies and rules due to their past history
work with global teams, offshore helpdesk
market data technology teams are good to work with
Great Summer Internship Program
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 March 2016
During my time at HSBC, I had a great experience working with co-workers and creating the Canada Compliance Intranet site.
Room for advancement, yet strict work culture
Account Manager, Commercial Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2014
HSBC facilitated my foray into the financial industry, having studied business management in school.

Starting as a Customer Service Representative, I worked my way through to an Account Management position with support from superiors all the way through.

Having transitioned from a smaller, local branch, to the main downtown branch, work culture shifted from a more relaxed, open culture, to a very political, closed culture.

This made it difficult to continue in this environment, as superiors were not open to new ideas and led with a tight fist.

Although the company as a whole is a great place to work given the international work opportunities, the right mentorship, leadership and management I feel needs greater improvement to encourage younger employees to thrive.