HSBC Employee Reviews in Canada

HSBC working
Video Collaboration Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 20, 2015
Great place to work, an excellent work life balance environment. HSBC celebrates every one and appreciates their employees. I found the management to be easy to get along with. I enjoyed my co workers.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
layoffs
Good
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
Promotes work/ life balance
Premier Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
HSBC is a great company to work for as it promotes work/ life balance, however, it is very limited for career advancements.
Great Summer Internship Program
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 4, 2016
During my time at HSBC, I had a great experience working with co-workers and creating the Canada Compliance Intranet site.
Working as a Senior Business Consultant with a leading Fortune 50 bank
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 2, 2013
A typical day in office involves coordinating with Business,Offshore teams from China and India.Sometimes have to undergo requirement meetings with Brazil.

Learnt to work effectively work with global teams,understand their culture, respecting the working style and yet getting the best professional results.

Have really enhanced my management capabilities as I have to undertake work across 3-4 countries,ensure functional and technical completeness of a project,manage diverse cultures.

The most hard part of my job was to create behemoth Functional specifications for a truly global product,getting the global requirements,convincing the regional sites to entail the additional cost.
Pros
deep knowledge of retail banking
Cons
long hours and working across different timezones
Excellent
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 24, 2015
They strive to make employees better and encourage advancement within the company. Training was excellent, wonderful co-workers. Great place to work.
Pros
Great people
Hsbc
Consultant Business Systems (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
large corporation with lots of policies and rules due to their past history
work with global teams, offshore helpdesk
market data technology teams are good to work with
the perfect work place
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
Management is good, helpful
coworkers were very nice
hardworking ,
easy working environment,
while working we never get tired
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
Learning Environment
Account Executive/Mortgage Agent (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONDecember 31, 2015
every day was a busy day, always on your toes. Learning abilities on a day to day bases. Small location, hand full of staff. Facing the challenges' to meet personal financial goals. Enjoyable company overall.
Room for advancement, yet strict work culture
Account Manager, Commercial Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2014
HSBC facilitated my foray into the financial industry, having studied business management in school.

Starting as a Customer Service Representative, I worked my way through to an Account Management position with support from superiors all the way through.

Having transitioned from a smaller, local branch, to the main downtown branch, work culture shifted from a more relaxed, open culture, to a very political, closed culture.

This made it difficult to continue in this environment, as superiors were not open to new ideas and led with a tight fist.

Although the company as a whole is a great place to work given the international work opportunities, the right mentorship, leadership and management I feel needs greater improvement to encourage younger employees to thrive.
Could be better
Fast Forward Trainee - Commercial banking (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 19, 2015
The company has a lot of silos. It is trying to safe cost and the their best practice now is to laid-off employees regardless of how long they have served the company for.
Senior Business Analyst with expertise in retail and wealth management.Extensive knowledge of Retail Banking Product.
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2014
A typical day at work is working with 5 global teams at the same time and tacking their problems.

Learnt to channelize the work according to skills and the knowledge base as also to respect the diversity of individuals.

Have Acquired Truly global Management capabilities.

Hardest part of job was managing ever changing requiremets and trying to somehow seperating global and regional requirements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a talented bunch of diverse individuals and the learning I got working with such a talented group
Pros
great learning, business exposure, global business understanding
Cons
long hours, bad work life balance
Fast past very friendly work environment with foose ball table during break and lunch hours.
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QCJuly 31, 2012
Walking into work every day was fun, co-workers would take 5 minutes to chat about your weekend or just in general. I developed many skills at HSBC Financial but one key skill was time management. I knew when and how long certain tasks would take me to do so I was able to better plan my day to be as productive as possible. The hardest part of my job was the ever changing procedures in a fast past department, but I enjoyed it as it would always keep me on my ties. The most enjoyable part was the many group activities we did as a department that brought us together as a group and made us know one another in a "out of office" environment.
Pros
group paid activities on work hours.
Cons
working long hours on montth end but it happens once a month.
Operations Specialist
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  VancouverMay 11, 2015
Great place to work. Salary and Benefits could be better. It is difficult for an employee to connect with the management.
Big institution
Premium Banker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 15, 2015
An excellent bank and has many opportunities offer within the firm.Downside is that you have too many compliance procedures and regulatory requirements to follow.
A really good place to work for
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  BurnabyDecember 7, 2014
A place where people are very friendly and want to teach you what they know in order for you to grow.
The day was never boring as I had to multi task and to assume alot of responsibilites. People are eager to help you and to explain if you dont know something.
The best part of HSBC where I worked was the people I worked with.
Pros
salary, benefits. work/life balance
Cons
leadership is lacking direction at times
Learning experience with time to develop personal skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  DelhiAugust 9, 2015
• Analyzed the completeness & accuracy of financial statements of borrower companies.
• Accurately entered the financial numbers of borrower companies in Moody's Financial Analyst.
• Tested the financial ratios as per loan agreement & reported compliance.
• Followed up with underwriters & branches (phone & email) about any errors & possible corrections.
• Submitted daily exception report to share the feedback & financial analysis.
• Assisted as a coach to fully train new associates joining our team.
Good Global Bank
Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 4, 2015
Very busy work environment, I like the hectic space.
Clients of a global bank very diverse ever changing goals and needs.
I am part of the management team, heavy schedules.
Very diverse coworkers.
Work life balance.
Helping Clients.
HSBC Canada: Lack of job growth, discriminative, confused management
HSBC (Former Employee) –  HSBCMarch 30, 2015
Lack of growth opportunities, whatever they have go to those with some connection, nepotism, mangement is very confused; growing one year and contracting next year, lot of negative media publicity, job culture is very bureaucratic, run like imperialist mind.

Good for new entrants to learn and move onwards to a different organization.

HSBC international is completely different than HSBC canada, slow integration.