HSBC Employee Reviews in Canada

Good
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
Learning Environment
Account Executive/Mortgage Agent (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONDecember 31, 2015
every day was a busy day, always on your toes. Learning abilities on a day to day bases. Small location, hand full of staff. Facing the challenges' to meet personal financial goals. Enjoyable company overall.
Excellent
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 24, 2015
They strive to make employees better and encourage advancement within the company. Training was excellent, wonderful co-workers. Great place to work.
Pros
Great people
HSBC working
Video Collaboration Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 20, 2015
Great place to work, an excellent work life balance environment. HSBC celebrates every one and appreciates their employees. I found the management to be easy to get along with. I enjoyed my co workers.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
layoffs
Could be better
Fast Forward Trainee - Commercial banking (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 19, 2015
The company has a lot of silos. It is trying to safe cost and the their best practice now is to laid-off employees regardless of how long they have served the company for.
the perfect work place
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
Management is good, helpful
coworkers were very nice
hardworking ,
easy working environment,
while working we never get tired
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
Learning experience with time to develop personal skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  DelhiAugust 9, 2015
• Analyzed the completeness & accuracy of financial statements of borrower companies.
• Accurately entered the financial numbers of borrower companies in Moody's Financial Analyst.
• Tested the financial ratios as per loan agreement & reported compliance.
• Followed up with underwriters & branches (phone & email) about any errors & possible corrections.
• Submitted daily exception report to share the feedback & financial analysis.
• Assisted as a coach to fully train new associates joining our team.
Big institution
Premium Banker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 15, 2015
An excellent bank and has many opportunities offer within the firm.Downside is that you have too many compliance procedures and regulatory requirements to follow.
HSBC
Branch Sales Manager, Sarnia (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 9, 2012
I enjoyed working at HSBC Finance very much prior to the closing of Canadian operations. I managed daily operations of the HSBC branch in Sarnia. This included everything from cash transaction, to coaching my sales team to following the compliance policies. The most enjoyable part of my day was working with my team and our clients to fulfill their financial goals in a competitve job.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
work life balance was not always in balance
Positive atmosphere with lots of fun activities.
Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2012
The hardest part of the job is to learn how to approach existing leads in order to convert them into mortgage customers. HSBC provided great learning experience with lots of advancement. The most enjoyable part is at the end of the month when you get a chance to make compensation due to hard work through out the month.
Pros
good monthly compensetion with lots of daily, weekly and monthly contests.
Cons
longer hours on monday and tuesday.
Great work environment with ample learning opportunities.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BCJuly 6, 2015
Provided timely and accurate services to individual and business clients. Opened accounts and cross sold additional products and services while ensuring operational and system compliance. Researched and responded to competitor strategies, resolved customer concerns and built client lists. Opened branch, served as cash custodian, and balanced total daily branch transactions and cash balances.
Doesn't seem to know what direction they want to go even in the face of success
Senior Reconciliations Specialist (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 19, 2014
Like many workplaces it was about the co-workers, including management. They tried their best.
Pros
average health benefits but banking and trading benefits were a help as well
Cons
couldn't stand to part with money to their employees so almost never a salary increase, always an excuse
Good Advance Opportunity
Personal Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2013
Very good promotion opportunity, targets are harsh however, different branches are fighting against each other for the same client in the company
Pros
advancement, salary, benefits
Cons
work-life balance, targets
Stands out as a banking institution
Recovery Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  MontrealJune 6, 2015
Good company to work for, creativity will be encouraged. Work life balance is highly supported and appreciated by employees.
Pros
Remote Work
Cons
Approval processes are long
Working as a Senior Business Consultant with a leading Fortune 50 bank
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 2, 2013
A typical day in office involves coordinating with Business,Offshore teams from China and India.Sometimes have to undergo requirement meetings with Brazil.

Learnt to work effectively work with global teams,understand their culture, respecting the working style and yet getting the best professional results.

Have really enhanced my management capabilities as I have to undertake work across 3-4 countries,ensure functional and technical completeness of a project,manage diverse cultures.

The most hard part of my job was to create behemoth Functional specifications for a truly global product,getting the global requirements,convincing the regional sites to entail the additional cost.
Pros
deep knowledge of retail banking
Cons
long hours and working across different timezones
It has been a great experience.
Manager, AML Investigations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2015
Great company to work for. I enjoyed working there. A lot of learning opportunities and training available. I learned a lot in my role there and I had the support of the managers.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
distance
HSBC Canada: Lack of job growth, discriminative, confused management
HSBC (Former Employee) –  HSBCMarch 30, 2015
Lack of growth opportunities, whatever they have go to those with some connection, nepotism, mangement is very confused; growing one year and contracting next year, lot of negative media publicity, job culture is very bureaucratic, run like imperialist mind.

Good for new entrants to learn and move onwards to a different organization.

HSBC international is completely different than HSBC canada, slow integration.
Low pay
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 4, 2015
Good work/life balance but pay is low.

Pros:
Good work/life balance
Minor employee perks such as staff rate on exchange rates.
Most service fees waived.

Cons:
Not enough hours at some branches
Some branches schedule you in for 3-4 hours shift.
Pay is low in general, all the way up to branch manager level.
Was a great place to work
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioJune 26, 2012
Working for the company was great but the the Finance department decided to close in April 2012.
Pros
great salary