HSBC Employee Reviews

Work in Progress
AVP (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 3, 2016
Used to be a great place to work, have been lots of changes the last few years, few are good. Staff have very low morale, most are just trying to get by until the next job comes along
productive and pleasure workplace
IT Telecom Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
- running BAU
- work on projects
- support co-workers
- resolve network issues as a team
- implementing new project as such VoIP and wireless
Pros
Good work environment and co-workers
Cons
I can't remember!
A really good place to work for
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  BurnabyDecember 7, 2014
A place where people are very friendly and want to teach you what they know in order for you to grow.
The day was never boring as I had to multi task and to assume alot of responsibilites. People are eager to help you and to explain if you dont know something.
The best part of HSBC where I worked was the people I worked with.
Pros
salary, benefits. work/life balance
Cons
leadership is lacking direction at times
Enjoyed my Job
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BCMarch 4, 2016
For the most part I really liked working for HSBC. I wish I could have learned more in the time I was there. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. I wish I could have transferred when I moved.
Good
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
Excellent work place
Operations, Risk and Administrations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 8, 2016
HSBC Canada is a great work place. HSBC Canada values its employees efforts and rewards them base on merits. Its diversified work force, the culture make it a unique place to work with.
HSBC
Branch Sales Manager, Sarnia (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 9, 2012
I enjoyed working at HSBC Finance very much prior to the closing of Canadian operations. I managed daily operations of the HSBC branch in Sarnia. This included everything from cash transaction, to coaching my sales team to following the compliance policies. The most enjoyable part of my day was working with my team and our clients to fulfill their financial goals in a competitve job.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
work life balance was not always in balance
Positive atmosphere with lots of fun activities.
Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2012
The hardest part of the job is to learn how to approach existing leads in order to convert them into mortgage customers. HSBC provided great learning experience with lots of advancement. The most enjoyable part is at the end of the month when you get a chance to make compensation due to hard work through out the month.
Pros
good monthly compensetion with lots of daily, weekly and monthly contests.
Cons
longer hours on monday and tuesday.
Operations Specialist
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  VancouverMay 11, 2015
Great place to work. Salary and Benefits could be better. It is difficult for an employee to connect with the management.
Hsbc
Consultant Business Systems (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
large corporation with lots of policies and rules due to their past history
work with global teams, offshore helpdesk
market data technology teams are good to work with
Great Summer Internship Program
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 4, 2016
During my time at HSBC, I had a great experience working with co-workers and creating the Canada Compliance Intranet site.
Great salary but poor culture and management
compliance analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 22, 2015
Your entire career here will be kissing rear ends for the privilege of being spoken down to everyday.

It's one thing to be spoken down to by, say, the CEO, but when its a consistent stream of middle management donkeys with no real education or self worth, it becomes a little frustrating.

I would say the pay is decent and security is sound, but the culture is very poor and riddled with agency-principal conflicts straight out of a management 101 textbook.

Might be for you, not for me!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
poor culture, ineffective and inexperienced leaders
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
Doesn't seem to know what direction they want to go even in the face of success
Senior Reconciliations Specialist (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 19, 2014
Like many workplaces it was about the co-workers, including management. They tried their best.
Pros
average health benefits but banking and trading benefits were a help as well
Cons
couldn't stand to part with money to their employees so almost never a salary increase, always an excuse
Good Advance Opportunity
Personal Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2013
Very good promotion opportunity, targets are harsh however, different branches are fighting against each other for the same client in the company
Pros
advancement, salary, benefits
Cons
work-life balance, targets
Learning Environment
Account Executive/Mortgage Agent (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONDecember 31, 2015
every day was a busy day, always on your toes. Learning abilities on a day to day bases. Small location, hand full of staff. Facing the challenges' to meet personal financial goals. Enjoyable company overall.
Working as a Senior Business Consultant with a leading Fortune 50 bank
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 2, 2013
A typical day in office involves coordinating with Business,Offshore teams from China and India.Sometimes have to undergo requirement meetings with Brazil.

Learnt to work effectively work with global teams,understand their culture, respecting the working style and yet getting the best professional results.

Have really enhanced my management capabilities as I have to undertake work across 3-4 countries,ensure functional and technical completeness of a project,manage diverse cultures.

The most hard part of my job was to create behemoth Functional specifications for a truly global product,getting the global requirements,convincing the regional sites to entail the additional cost.
Pros
deep knowledge of retail banking
Cons
long hours and working across different timezones
Excellent
Business Consultant / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Excellent - good place to work for.
Fun workplace with supportive management.
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Promotes work/ life balance
Premier Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
HSBC is a great company to work for as it promotes work/ life balance, however, it is very limited for career advancements.
HSBC working
Video Collaboration Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 20, 2015
Great place to work, an excellent work life balance environment. HSBC celebrates every one and appreciates their employees. I found the management to be easy to get along with. I enjoyed my co workers.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
layoffs