HSBC Employee Reviews

Stay away
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2016
Toxic culture; on paper the company claims they support you to "do the right thing" but in reality, everyone's just busy covering their own behind, everything is driven from Group and they "tell you" to do as you are told even though it's stupid and makes no sense, but reading between the lines, it's "do what you need to do just don't tell me so that I can blame it on you in case this blows up"
Pros
good bonuses depending on what departments you are in
Cons
tons of free riders, heavy bureaucracy, more decision makers than doers
Growth
Summer Trainee, Global Banking (Former Employee) –  杭州市28 July 2016
Completed HSBC employee training program to acquaint with the company procedures, culture, and ethical codes

Was responsible for client support and became capable of processing client request
International fun company
Officer banking real estate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2016
Great banking where learning is endless and being able to travel around the world and work for the same employer is great . Great advantage to work your lifestyle trew work and family by flex time .
Pros
Flex time
Cons
You need to be a hard worker
Sub Prime lending Company
Business Product Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
It was a very unique experience working with this company. Learnt a lot about the sub prime lending and the unique outbound system Davox. Designed a new quality control program for this company
Fun and flexable place to work
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 November 2016
A typical day at work was servicing customers, looking at ways to save them money and making it happen. I totally enjoyed working with my co-workers . The hardest part of the job was not being able to help out my customer.
No fun
Financial Crime Compliance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
The atmosphere is not nice. Managers put a lot of pressure on employees and nearly everybody is a contractor. They use a monitoring application to monitor your work and rph.
competitive and changing market requirements
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 August 2016
Productive and fun workplace. Very interactive as well. IT team is very supportive in projects, meeting deadlines and setting priorities to attain deliverables.
a stable job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2016
great work colleagues and superiors
excellent benefits

not much opportunities internally
very repetitive work

HSBC standard is very high since it's a global bank; however, HSBC Canada itself is a small bank with limited services. Working in retail, it was very difficult to make customer happy.
Excellent company to work for if you want exposure to projects around the world
IT Project Manager Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2015
Although, there are challenges in the standardization of their various PM methodologies and practicies, this is a great company to work for if you want exposure to global projects; Company also supports work/life balance and salary is competitive with the market. If you are a full-time employee; they will invest in your education and training.
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
Great salary but poor culture and management
compliance analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 May 2015
Your entire career here will be kissing rear ends for the privilege of being spoken down to everyday.

It's one thing to be spoken down to by, say, the CEO, but when its a consistent stream of middle management donkeys with no real education or self worth, it becomes a little frustrating.

I would say the pay is decent and security is sound, but the culture is very poor and riddled with agency-principal conflicts straight out of a management 101 textbook.

Might be for you, not for me!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
poor culture, ineffective and inexperienced leaders
Working and progress
Customer Service Al Hajweri Trading (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 October 2016
Bank is good and its environment is also. Only one issue that conditions are more favorable if you are from Hong Kong or China.
Working as a Senior Business Consultant with a leading Fortune 50 bank
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2013
A typical day in office involves coordinating with Business,Offshore teams from China and India.Sometimes have to undergo requirement meetings with Brazil.

Learnt to work effectively work with global teams,understand their culture, respecting the working style and yet getting the best professional results.

Have really enhanced my management capabilities as I have to undertake work across 3-4 countries,ensure functional and technical completeness of a project,manage diverse cultures.

The most hard part of my job was to create behemoth Functional specifications for a truly global product,getting the global requirements,convincing the regional sites to entail the additional cost.
Pros
Deep knowledge of Retail Banking
Cons
Long Hours and working across different timezones
Average bank
Premier Relationship Manager, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Vancouver19 October 2015
Depending on which branch you work, it could be a good experience or a horrible one. Hard target driven and lack of focus on client base. Most of the time was dealing with client complaints.
Pros
Benefits. Advancement. Salary
Cons
Corporate culture. Treatment of clients
Good
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 April 2016
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
The worst international corporate in the world
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2015
No flexibility at work, do not have official breaks and only have 30 mins paid lunch hour, rest of 30 mins is unpaid.

Do not have sick leaves, personal and floating days, they group them into TOP days, your sick leaves and annual leaves are all under this TOP program.

Bad management, keep changing policy and loads of useless meetings form the management

Coworkers are not nice and very impolite, pay is bad and benefits are just so-so.

Think before getting into HSBC
Pros
nothing
Cons
too much to mention
Hard work
Role - Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 April 2016
Its a fabulous place for opportunists only if you can see beyond the horizon. It was a very competitive atmosphere but that helps to bring out the best in you.

Very fun place to work and enjoyed partying with my colleagues after every project milestone. At one point it felt like working with friends rather than co-workers.
A great company with global opportunities
Marketing and Communication Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2015
I have worked for HSBC for 8 years and overall, I've enjoyed it.
The teams are strong, the expectations are high, compensations packages are fair- however, work -life balance is non existent.

Its an excellent company for upward mobility, but being the large company that it is, it can be very political. If you are aware and comfortable with this, then the awareness will lead you to success within it.

With the ongoing restructures, hiring freezes etc this company has been in shift for the past 5 years, that said- change always brings opportunity. Good place to be for those looking to learn and grow within a large multinational environment with global opp.
Pros
work flex, strong teams and vacation
Hsbc
Margining Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 July 2016
This was a great place to work for. I had the opportunity to learn alot from my seniors. They were kind and considerate about the a junior wanting to learn.
Room for advancement, yet strict work culture
Account Manager, Commercial Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2014
HSBC facilitated my foray into the financial industry, having studied business management in school.

Starting as a Customer Service Representative, I worked my way through to an Account Management position with support from superiors all the way through.

Having transitioned from a smaller, local branch, to the main downtown branch, work culture shifted from a more relaxed, open culture, to a very political, closed culture.

This made it difficult to continue in this environment, as superiors were not open to new ideas and led with a tight fist.

Although the company as a whole is a great place to work given the international work opportunities, the right mentorship, leadership and management I feel needs greater improvement to encourage younger employees to thrive.