HSBC Employee Reviews in Canada

Stable Job
Pso (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 12, 2016
Could be very busy at times. Good co-workers and excellent job training.
Supervisors can be hard with staff when there's conflicts.
Offers free meals to staff and free parking.
Pros
Good Company with great benefits
Cons
Need better Supervisors
productive and challenging
EDD sanctions analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2016
productive and challenging workplace, very professional and experienced management, new techniques to learn and implement.
Growth
Summer Trainee, Global Banking (Former Employee) –  杭州市July 28, 2016
Completed HSBC employee training program to acquaint with the company procedures, culture, and ethical codes

Was responsible for client support and became capable of processing client request
Margining Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 26, 2016
This was a great place to work for. I had the opportunity to learn alot from my seniors. They were kind and considerate about the a junior wanting to learn.
Decent place
Premium Banker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2016
Good place to grow and learn. Lots of work, but rewarding. Decent advancement opportunities. Lots of relocation opportunity across HSBC.
Great coworkers
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 2, 2016
I worked at the branch; they were all welcoming and offered support whenever possible. Lots of opportunities to increase productivity; especially with the advancement of technology, a lot of paper based approaches are still being used at the branch for the tellers.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
salary
a stable job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2016
great work colleagues and superiors
excellent benefits

not much opportunities internally
very repetitive work

HSBC standard is very high since it's a global bank; however, HSBC Canada itself is a small bank with limited services. Working in retail, it was very difficult to make customer happy.
Premium Banker (Current Employee) –  fMay 9, 2016
The company is very sales oriented and put that at the forefront of the business. Training is very minimal in terms of once promoted into a new role. There are some very good people working for HSBC though that are enjoyable to work alongside.
Work in Progress
AVP (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 3, 2016
Used to be a great place to work, have been lots of changes the last few years, few are good. Staff have very low morale, most are just trying to get by until the next job comes along
Stay away
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 19, 2016
Toxic culture; on paper the company claims they support you to "do the right thing" but in reality, everyone's just busy covering their own behind, everything is driven from Group and they "tell you" to do as you are told even though it's stupid and makes no sense, but reading between the lines, it's "do what you need to do just don't tell me so that I can blame it on you in case this blows up"
Pros
good bonuses depending on what departments you are in
Cons
tons of free riders, heavy bureaucracy, more decision makers than doers
Teamwork
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
This job allows me to use my interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills. The hardest part is the amount of work to do on a daily basis - so much work, not enough time. I love working with my team as we help each other where we can.
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
productive and pleasure workplace
IT Telecom Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
- running BAU
- work on projects
- support co-workers
- resolve network issues as a team
- implementing new project as such VoIP and wireless
Pros
Good work environment and co-workers
Cons
I can't remember!
whatever we received the forms, we had to memo them into excel
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
-daily had to mail out forms( i.e. w8ben or w9 forms)

-whatever we received from brokers or clients, we had to mark them down

-return all the forms back to branches if anything missing.

-the work is three months
Pros
not much restriction
Cons
not long term work
Good
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 9, 2016
I enjoyed working at HSBC. I have learned a lot of banking products and knowledge. The company is full of culture. The work environment is excellent.
Hard work
Role - Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 6, 2016
Its a fabulous place for opportunists only if you can see beyond the horizon. It was a very competitive atmosphere but that helps to bring out the best in you.

Very fun place to work and enjoyed partying with my colleagues after every project milestone. At one point it felt like working with friends rather than co-workers.
Enjoyed my Job
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BCMarch 4, 2016
For the most part I really liked working for HSBC. I wish I could have learned more in the time I was there. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. I wish I could have transferred when I moved.
Great Summer Internship Program
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 4, 2016
During my time at HSBC, I had a great experience working with co-workers and creating the Canada Compliance Intranet site.
Consultant Business Systems (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
large corporation with lots of policies and rules due to their past history
work with global teams, offshore helpdesk
market data technology teams are good to work with
Excellent work place
Operations, Risk and Administrations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 8, 2016
HSBC Canada is a great work place. HSBC Canada values its employees efforts and rewards them base on merits. Its diversified work force, the culture make it a unique place to work with.