HSBC

HSBC Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
QA Analyst
QA Analyst (Former Employee), Vancouver, British ColumbiaMarch 19, 2014
HSBC Mobile is safe, gives secure access to HSBC customer accounts from anywhere and it simplifies banking needs. HSBC Mobile Banking Application for iOS, Android and Blackberry is the most user friendly and security guarantee application that can be used by banking customers of HSBC Bank. Using the HSBC Mobile Application, customers can Access their personal or small business banking accounts, check their account balances, pay bills, transfer funds, locate HSBC branches and record insurance information in an accident.
• Reviewed and understood the requirements for Mobile projects
• Involved in the development of Test Scenarios, Test cases, Test data and Test scripts according to Requirements, Wire frames and Use Case documents
• Test scenarios, Test cases were provided to the business analyst for signoff and approval
• Classified the test cases based on High, Medium and Low for execution purpose based on the business priorities
• Written and stored Test scenarios and Test cases in Quality center test plan tab and mapped the Test cases to the requirements using Requirement coverage tab
• Involved in testing the Integration between personal, business account, bill payment, transfers and statements on different devices like Android, IPhone and Blackberry
• Used Devise Anywhere for testing such as Functional/System, Integration, Regression, End to End, Performance and User Acceptance testing
• Reported defects into defect module of Quality center with all the required information
• Regularly participated in Test Review and Status meeting
• Provided planning and execution status – more... reports to the management
• Devise anywhere, iPhone SDK 3.2, XCode, Android, Blackberry, XML, Java, J Unit, JavaScript, SQL Server, MS Access, Quality Center 9.0 and Oracle – less
Challenging and stimulating work environment
Senior Commercial Banking Officer (Current Employee), Montreal QuebecMarch 20, 2013
Pros: staff rates
Cons: long hours
HSBC Bank requires that I pay close attention to detail as I must be one hundred percent accurate in all my tasks. On some days I must perform internal audits and am tasked with opening non-standard, irregular commercial accounts which may pose reputational risks to the bank. This is one of the harder tasks of my job.

The most enjoyable part is meeting interesting clients with unique business models. Everyone is different and assessing the needs of each and every commercial client is a challenge. It involves assessing risk, and ensuring that all HSBC policy is met which requires coordination with our legal department as well as ensuring that all OFSI (Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada) requirements are also met. However, getting to know new companies and closing big accounts for the bank is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding aspects of my job.

In my three years at the bank I have had to develop excellent organizational skills and I now have demonstrated proficiency in all core office administration functions, including an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, document preparation, internal/external communications, data and records management, meeting scheduling, and task prioritization.
Productive work environment, room for growth in financial industry
Account Executive (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 12, 2013
Pros: bonus structure, large incentives
Cons: lacking on proper management guidelines
My duties at Hsbc Finance included simplifying customers financial situation with company products, ei 2nd mortgage, loans, lines of credits, consolidation.
I've learned to work well and understand a customers perspective at times of need and by assisting them to my best ability by providing them with the best option available that will support their personal financial needs.
Managment was not on its firm side, there could have been a lot more ways to help me excell in my position. Had to self teach myself as well as learn from some unexperienced co-workers to learn in this company.
My co-workers were always there to help with compliance issues and always made sure my work was done properly.
Hardest part of my job was to have every file precise so that it is complient.
Acheiving a customers needs and wants, and seeing my work has really benefitted their situation.
QA Analyst
QA Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2014
• Reviewed and understood the requirements for Mobile projects
• Regularly participated in Test Review and Status meeting
• Provided planning and execution status reports to the management
• Devise anywhere, iPhone SDK 3.2, XCode, Android, Blackberry, XML, Java, J Unit, JavaScript, SQL Server, MS Access, Quality Center 10.0 and Oracle
Fast past very friendly work environment with foose ball table during break and lunch hours.
Payment Processor (Former Employee), Montreal,QCJuly 31, 2012
Pros: group paid activities on work hours.
Cons: working long hours on montth end but it happens once a month.
Walking into work every day was fun, co-workers would take 5 minutes to chat about your weekend or just in general. I developed many skills at HSBC Financial but one key skill was time management. I knew when and how long certain tasks would take me to do so I was able to better plan my day to be as productive as possible. The hardest part of my job was the ever changing procedures in a fast past department, but I enjoyed it as it would always keep me on my ties. The most enjoyable part was the many group activities we did as a department that brought us together as a group and made us know one another in a "out of office" environment.
Interesting, transitional time for company, and good exposure to international banking
Senior Tax Accountant (Former Employee), Vancouver, CanadaJune 1, 2012
I completed a broad range of tasks and projects depending on the time of the month or the time of the year.

I was able to learn more about transfer pricing and costing schemes. I improved my MS Excel skills by working with large amounts of data, learning from colleagues and managers, and asking questions when applicable. I built on existing accounting and tax knowledge by researching and refreshing areas that I was unfamiliar with.

Management was good. They were patient, clear on expectations, clear on explanations of tasks, and enjoyable to work with.

My coworkers were friendly, courteous, and enjoyable to work with. I was able to make some new friends and great contacts while working here.

The hardest part of the job was the amount of work completed on my own. At times I would work on projects for a while without any feedback.

The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a large project, filing the returns, and moving onto new projects.
Personal Banker & Relationship Manager
Personal Banker & Relationship Manager (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 29, 2013
 Develop insightful corporate finance presentations for senior management, tailored according to audience and event
 Investigate and present recommendations for special projects related to business operations
 Provide analytical support for various departmental financial books
 Develop flexible and accurate financial models and reports
 Manage incoming analytics and reporting requests and engage stakeholders to understand the underlying business problem, base assumptions and desired outcomes.
 Provide efficient customer service while promoting bolstering a positive image of the HSBC
 Proactively promote, sell and deliver a full range of business/personal products and service and screen for appropriate referral or relationship management opportunities (ex: credit management, securities, private banking, trusts, etc.)
 Monitor existing assigned portfolio as per Bank policy. Maintain a call program to service existing clients, identifying customer needs.
A great company with global opportunities
Marketing and Communication Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 31, 2015
Pros: work flex, strong teams and vacation
Cons: long hours
I have worked for HSBC for 8 years and overall, I've enjoyed it.
The teams are strong, the expectations are high, compensations packages are fair- however, work -life balance is non existent.

Its an excellent company for upward mobility, but being the large company that it is, it can be very political. If you are aware and comfortable with this, then the awareness will lead you to success within it.

With the ongoing restructures, hiring freezes etc this company has been in shift for the past 5 years, that said- change always brings opportunity. Good place to be for those looking to learn and grow within a large multinational environment with global opp.
Room for advancement, yet strict work culture
Account Manager, Commercial Real Estate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2014
HSBC facilitated my foray into the financial industry, having studied business management in school.

Starting as a Customer Service Representative, I worked my way through to an Account Management position with support from superiors all the way through.

Having transitioned from a smaller, local branch, to the main downtown branch, work culture shifted from a more relaxed, open culture, to a very political, closed culture.

This made it difficult to continue in this environment, as superiors were not open to new ideas and led with a tight fist.

Although the company as a whole is a great place to work given the international work opportunities, the right mentorship, leadership and management I feel needs greater improvement to encourage younger employees to thrive.
Working as a Senior Business Consultant with a leading Fortune 50 bank
Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 2, 2013
Pros: deep knowledge of retail banking
Cons: long hours and working across different timezones
A typical day in office involves coordinating with Business,Offshore teams from China and India.Sometimes have to undergo requirement meetings with Brazil.

Learnt to work effectively work with global teams,understand their culture, respecting the working style and yet getting the best professional results.

Have really enhanced my management capabilities as I have to undertake work across 3-4 countries,ensure functional and technical completeness of a project,manage diverse cultures.

The most hard part of my job was to create behemoth Functional specifications for a truly global product,getting the global requirements,convincing the regional sites to entail the additional cost.
Productive enjoyable fast pace environment
Account Executive (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 12, 2013
• Meet or exceed sales goals/targets
• Assist the Branch Sales Manager with auditing, loan documentation, proceeds disbursement and counter-payment processing.
• Perform mortgage closing ( 2nd mortgages ) delinquency follow-up, credit inquiries, and loan approvals.
• Bank promotional programs, and direct marketing initiatives by executing customer calling in a professional and efficient manner (outbound/inbound calls).
• Responsible to maintain a superior, high quality, and courteous service to promote retail products to attract, retain and expand customer relationship.
Capability, identifying and understanding customers' needs and goals in order to resolve issues quickly and effectively
Senior Business Analyst with expertise in retail and wealth management.Extensive knowledge of Retail Banking Product.
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: great learning, business exposure, global business understanding
Cons: long hours, bad work life balance
A typical day at work is working with 5 global teams at the same time and tacking their problems.

Learnt to channelize the work according to skills and the knowledge base as also to respect the diversity of individuals.

Have Acquired Truly global Management capabilities.

Hardest part of job was managing ever changing requiremets and trying to somehow seperating global and regional requirements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a talented bunch of diverse individuals and the learning I got working with such a talented group
Excellent team leads and co workers
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee), Burnaby bcJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: Enjoy working 2 days at home and 2 days in the office
Cons: Really enjoy my job so do not see any cons .
Start work 4.30am to 2.00 pm - Monday to Thursday.
Review, adjudicate application with an approval or decline.
Coach branches to restructure files to reduce the banks risk and adhere to lending policy and guidelines.
Analyze financial statements and vet income documentations.
Pull title searches and review appraisals, purchase agreements .
Ensure property meets banks guidelines.
On an ongoing basis coach and mentor new staff.
Assist co workers on complex deals.
Great salary but poor culture and management
compliance analyst (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 22, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: poor culture, ineffective and inexperienced leaders
Your entire career here will be kissing rear ends for the privilege of being spoken down to everyday.

It's one thing to be spoken down to by, say, the CEO, but when its a consistent stream of middle management donkeys with no real education or self worth, it becomes a little frustrating.

I would say the pay is decent and security is sound, but the culture is very poor and riddled with agency-principal conflicts straight out of a management 101 textbook.

Might be for you, not for me!
An enviroment that offers out brings the best out of you
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), toronto,onApril 17, 2012
Pros: free lunch on fridays
Cons: stakeholders with tight schedule
I worked with a great team,and one major thing i liked about my work experience there, is that it gave me exposure even to projects i wasnt directly working on,so i learnt and gained a lot. It is also an organisation that appreciates and recognises extra efforts you commit to put things in place. i worked on the customer relationship management of caputuring and retrieving customers information,wealth management and trades at the front end online.
Great team Enviroment
Account Executive (Former Employee), Dartmouth, Nova ScotiaApril 2, 2012
Assigned Branch Ambassador for a new financial product and succeeded our branch target to obtain the number one spot in Canada for the branch, January 2012

In March 2012, I was personally ranked 11th in overall sales out of 428 Account Executives in Canada.

Assisted in training new hires and helped coached other branches in various selling techniques.

Helped branch reach top sales in the district by exceeding my sales targets.

Worked closely with existing customers to resolve delinquent accounts by re writing accounts or making alternate arrangements to remove the account from a delinquent status.
Great Entry Level Position
Fraud Detection Specialist (Current Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Pros: Lunches provided by building management, great co workers, easy tasks
Cons: inconsistent shift work, dismissive management
Tasks are very repetitive and do not offer much experience, not much room for advancement within the team, awesome co-workers, worst shift work - no 2 consecutive days off, often asked to work 6 days a week, one extreme shift (start 7 am one day, two days later, start 4pm), management dismissive of suggestions. Great entry level position for students and young professionals. Apply within after 1 year as the organization is keen to internal hiring.
Professional work environment
AML Compliance Analyst (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCOctober 23, 2014
Flexible start/end times with a great team of people. The work itself was autonomous - you could spend an entire day not talking to a single other person. Management seemed really supportive and patient with learning; co-workers maintained professionalism at all times, and rarely talked about personal lives.

There was no "hard" part of the job; the most enjoyable job was that your work could be quantified via metrics. That was rewarding, as you were able to track specifically how you contributed to your team.
Productive place to work, excellent bonus program
Assistant Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee), MississaugaJune 12, 2012
Pros: excellent bonus program, extra days off for superior results
Cons: employees not able to work early or late on their own
Typical day started with 1 hour of collections and then on to telemarketing to develop, process and close mortgages and loans. Employees were given a lot of autonomy but management was always available for direction. Work environment was a team atmosphere and everyone participated. Being able to assist customers with their financial needs was rewarding both in the aspect of helping customers and financially through the bonus program.
The worst international corporate in the world
Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: too much to mention
No flexibility at work, do not have official breaks and only have 30 mins paid lunch hour, rest of 30 mins is unpaid.

Do not have sick leaves, personal and floating days, they group them into TOP days, your sick leaves and annual leaves are all under this TOP program.

Bad management, keep changing policy and loads of useless meetings form the management

Coworkers are not nice and very impolite, pay is bad and benefits are just so-so.

Think before getting into HSBC