HSBC Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Entry Level Position
Fraud Detection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Tasks are very repetitive and do not offer much experience, not much room for advancement within the team, awesome co-workers, worst shift work - no 2 consecutive days off, often asked to work 6 days a week, one extreme shift (start 7 am one day, two days later, start 4pm), management dismissive of suggestions. Great entry level position for students and young professionals. Apply within after 1 year as the organization is keen to internal hiring.
Pros
Lunches provided by building management, great co workers, easy tasks
Cons
inconsistent shift work, dismissive management
Average bank
Premier Relationship Manager, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  VancouverOctober 19, 2015
Depending on which branch you work, it could be a good experience or a horrible one. Hard target driven and lack of focus on client base. Most of the time was dealing with client complaints.
Pros
Benefits. Advancement. Salary
Cons
Corporate culture. Treatment of clients
Excellent company to work for if you want exposure to projects around the world
IT Project Manager Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2015
Although, there are challenges in the standardization of their various PM methodologies and practicies, this is a great company to work for if you want exposure to global projects; Company also supports work/life balance and salary is competitive with the market. If you are a full-time employee; they will invest in your education and training.
The worst international corporate in the world
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2015
No flexibility at work, do not have official breaks and only have 30 mins paid lunch hour, rest of 30 mins is unpaid.

Do not have sick leaves, personal and floating days, they group them into TOP days, your sick leaves and annual leaves are all under this TOP program.

Bad management, keep changing policy and loads of useless meetings form the management

Coworkers are not nice and very impolite, pay is bad and benefits are just so-so.

Think before getting into HSBC
Pros
nothing
Cons
too much to mention
Hard work
Role - Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 6, 2016
Its a fabulous place for opportunists only if you can see beyond the horizon. It was a very competitive atmosphere but that helps to bring out the best in you.

Very fun place to work and enjoyed partying with my colleagues after every project milestone. At one point it felt like working with friends rather than co-workers.
Great salary but poor culture and management
compliance analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 22, 2015
Your entire career here will be kissing rear ends for the privilege of being spoken down to everyday.

It's one thing to be spoken down to by, say, the CEO, but when its a consistent stream of middle management donkeys with no real education or self worth, it becomes a little frustrating.

I would say the pay is decent and security is sound, but the culture is very poor and riddled with agency-principal conflicts straight out of a management 101 textbook.

Might be for you, not for me!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
poor culture, ineffective and inexperienced leaders
Very accomodating environement and friendly environement
Level 2 System Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 20, 2016
Very good hours, always flexible schedule, you are the boss of your time management, the more productive you are, the more time you have to perform multiple tasks to increase your productivity level
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Must be very passionate to users of different roles within the company
Excellent work place
Operations, Risk and Administrations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 8, 2016
HSBC Canada is a great work place. HSBC Canada values its employees efforts and rewards them base on merits. Its diversified work force, the culture make it a unique place to work with.
Excellent
Business Consultant / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Excellent - good place to work for.
Fun workplace with supportive management.
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Stay away
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 19, 2016
Toxic culture; on paper the company claims they support you to "do the right thing" but in reality, everyone's just busy covering their own behind, everything is driven from Group and they "tell you" to do as you are told even though it's stupid and makes no sense, but reading between the lines, it's "do what you need to do just don't tell me so that I can blame it on you in case this blows up"
Pros
good bonuses depending on what departments you are in
Cons
tons of free riders, heavy bureaucracy, more decision makers than doers
Excellent team leads and co workers
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Burnaby bcJanuary 26, 2016
Start work 4.30am to 2.00 pm - Monday to Thursday.
Review, adjudicate application with an approval or decline.
Coach branches to restructure files to reduce the banks risk and adhere to lending policy and guidelines.
Analyze financial statements and vet income documentations.
Pull title searches and review appraisals, purchase agreements .
Ensure property meets banks guidelines.
On an ongoing basis coach and mentor new staff.
Assist co workers on complex deals.
Pros
Enjoy working 2 days at home and 2 days in the office
Cons
Really enjoy my job so do not see any cons .
A great company with global opportunities
Marketing and Communication Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 31, 2015
I have worked for HSBC for 8 years and overall, I've enjoyed it.
The teams are strong, the expectations are high, compensations packages are fair- however, work -life balance is non existent.

Its an excellent company for upward mobility, but being the large company that it is, it can be very political. If you are aware and comfortable with this, then the awareness will lead you to success within it.

With the ongoing restructures, hiring freezes etc this company has been in shift for the past 5 years, that said- change always brings opportunity. Good place to be for those looking to learn and grow within a large multinational environment with global opp.
Pros
work flex, strong teams and vacation
HSBC working
Video Collaboration Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 20, 2015
Great place to work, an excellent work life balance environment. HSBC celebrates every one and appreciates their employees. I found the management to be easy to get along with. I enjoyed my co workers.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
layoffs
a stable job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2016
great work colleagues and superiors
excellent benefits

not much opportunities internally
very repetitive work

HSBC standard is very high since it's a global bank; however, HSBC Canada itself is a small bank with limited services. Working in retail, it was very difficult to make customer happy.
whatever we received the forms, we had to memo them into excel
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
-daily had to mail out forms( i.e. w8ben or w9 forms)

-whatever we received from brokers or clients, we had to mark them down

-return all the forms back to branches if anything missing.

-the work is three months
Pros
not much restriction
Cons
not long term work
Promotes work/ life balance
Premier Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
HSBC is a great company to work for as it promotes work/ life balance, however, it is very limited for career advancements.
Enjoyed my Job
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BCMarch 4, 2016
For the most part I really liked working for HSBC. I wish I could have learned more in the time I was there. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to work for them. I wish I could have transferred when I moved.
Excellent
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 24, 2015
They strive to make employees better and encourage advancement within the company. Training was excellent, wonderful co-workers. Great place to work.
Pros
Great people
Teamwork
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
This job allows me to use my interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills. The hardest part is the amount of work to do on a daily basis - so much work, not enough time. I love working with my team as we help each other where we can.
productive and pleasure workplace
IT Telecom Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
- running BAU
- work on projects
- support co-workers
- resolve network issues as a team
- implementing new project as such VoIP and wireless
Pros
Good work environment and co-workers
Cons
I can't remember!