HSBC Employee Reviews

HSBC Bank Canada
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 January 2017
Lots of lateral opportunity, Little work/life balance, employees not empowered to say no if overloaded. Management very critical of employees.. Very little vertical opportunity. Good benefits package.
Productive place
Manager, e-Commerce Business Production Support (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 November 2016
- working with teams globally is fun and exciting
- Lots of emails to go through
- supportive management
- learning to do more with less
- flexible time
- able to work from home
Pros
Good salary, vacation and benefits package
Cons
Lots of work per person
Good place to work overall.
Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 November 2016
Good people at branch level, higher than normal sales targets and sales pressure and compliance expectations. Salary and benefits seem to be competitive.
Productive and fun company to work for
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 February 2017
Typical work day at HSBC, requires to be able to work in a team or by yourself. When I started with HSBC I had no banking experience or knowledge of the banking industry, when I left I with alot of knowledge and experience. HSBC encourages their eimployees to learn everything you can. Many opportunities to move up in the organization. HSBC believes in Job Work/Life Balance, they expect you to work hard and do your properly. Management is always open and willing to listen to any concerns that their empoyees may have. My experience is everyone is great to work with.
Enjoyed learning and working with the teams located worldwide
Project Manager - Payment Services (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 February 2017
Typical daily working routine:
- check and respond to emails
- check/prepare project documentation
- interact with business and discuss details on the requirements
- interact with IT engineering to work on design
- daily call with engineering/business teams in across the world

I learned:
- payment systems infrastructure
- payment processes framework
- payment channels
- integration of the banking systems with payments infrastructure
- project management methodology
- communicating with people, 'follow up" and meeting protocols

Management:
- goal oriented, collaborative and team supportive

Workplace culture:
- continuously changing/adjusting
Pros
minimum control
Cons
permanent organizational changes
Stable Job
Pso (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2016
Could be very busy at times. Good co-workers and excellent job training.
Supervisors can be hard with staff when there's conflicts.
Offers free meals to staff and free parking.
Pros
Good Company with great benefits
Cons
Need better Supervisors
Great coworkers
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2016
I worked at the branch; they were all welcoming and offered support whenever possible. Lots of opportunities to increase productivity; especially with the advancement of technology, a lot of paper based approaches are still being used at the branch for the tellers.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
salary
HSBC is an institution in iteself. Its global network offers unlimited opportunities to travel, learn and grow professionlly
Sr. Business Analyst, Global Transformation (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
A typical day as a Business Analyst/Project Manager often brought up unexpected challenges and situations to deal with making the job highly engaging, interesting and satisfying.

With a unique opportunity to travel across 5 continents and work in over 20+ countries has not only helped me grow professionally but also allowed me to experience and appreciate different social and working cultures as well as make many friends on the way.

The hardest part of my job has been to understand different cultures, languages ranging from the Middle East, Europe, Asia to Latin and North America and the most enjoyable part being able to interact with the local population to achieve the end goal.
Pros
Global network provides endless opportunities to learn and grow
Cons
Unsocial working hours to interaact with coworkers in different time zones
a stable job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2016
great work colleagues and superiors
excellent benefits

not much opportunities internally
very repetitive work

HSBC standard is very high since it's a global bank; however, HSBC Canada itself is a small bank with limited services. Working in retail, it was very difficult to make customer happy.
Fun and Firm
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
I come across many opporutnities and challenges every day I am at work. It's fun to deal with the unexpected daily, it makes the job so interesting and the learnings tremendous as I deal with each unexpecetd event as it unfolds.
I have a team who is passionate and motivated and we face our challenges together.
Leadership is about having fun while firm as well. Its about creating an environment where you walk through the door every morning and your excited for the day to begin and look forward to the highs and lows.
I thourougly enjoy every day with my team and look forward to the learnings each and every day.
Pros
Social times as a team
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
Fun to work there and I learned alot.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst IL22 January 2017
Working with HSBC was very good for me, I learned alot and i grow proffesionally with the company. It was a very well balanced with my personal life.
Pros
Always learning something new
Cons
Management not always fair
Fun place to work at
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montreal, quebec19 October 2016
Great downtown offices Employers is a very employee-friendly company that provides a great work life balance and flexible work hours. Culture is very conservative and status quo can be strong.
poor coaching management only care about themselves
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Not a positive environment to work in a lot of politics internally poor coaching and feedback given to employees a lot of turnover and very stressful to communicate with management
Pros
Brand
Cons
Poor coaching
Good
Junior Achievement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Fast paced, they pay for everything. Lots of growth. No problems with any employee challenges. Flexibly hours, and very family oriented. Very good place
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long Hours
Not so bad
Senior Collections (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC23 November 2016
Not a top 50 employer. Not a diversified company. Most men help upper management positions. I was laid off when I was 7 months pregnant after working there for a little more than 8 years so my opinion isn't good.
Too many levels of management who know nothing
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 November 2016
Skilled people were not promoted or empowered. Only those who are personal friends of the senior executives were given key roles. Long and wee hours due to regular meetings with global project teams.
Fun work place
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 December 2016
HSBC is a great place to work.
Great work culture and opportunities
Able to hone my communication skills
I can only appreciate the leadership team that is consistently walking the talk, seeking for feedback and doing something with the feedback.
good working enviorment
Premium Banker & Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 January 2017
good working enviorment, but the internal policy needs to be improved. The retail banking of the HSBC is not as competitive as other big 5 banks in Canada
Global Bank with lots of job opportunities
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2017
I have learned a lot about banking operations in the last 10 years. The people is great and vice to work with. The work can sometimes be quite demanding and requires long working hours.
Pros
Large global bank
Cons
Not easy to balance work & life
Don't work here.
PERSONAL BANKER (PART-TIME) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 September 2016
HSBC is not a good place to work for anyone who wants a good work life balance. There is a LOT of pressure to meet targets, in fact that's your only job. Meet your targets - get your paycheck.