HSBC Employee Reviews

Productive place
Manager, e-Commerce Business Production Support (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 November 2016
- working with teams globally is fun and exciting
- Lots of emails to go through
- supportive management
- learning to do more with less
- flexible time
- able to work from home
Pros
Good salary, vacation and benefits package
Cons
Lots of work per person
HSBC is an institution in iteself. Its global network offers unlimited opportunities to travel, learn and grow professionlly
Sr. Business Analyst, Global Transformation (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
A typical day as a Business Analyst/Project Manager often brought up unexpected challenges and situations to deal with making the job highly engaging, interesting and satisfying.

With a unique opportunity to travel across 5 continents and work in over 20+ countries has not only helped me grow professionally but also allowed me to experience and appreciate different social and working cultures as well as make many friends on the way.

The hardest part of my job has been to understand different cultures, languages ranging from the Middle East, Europe, Asia to Latin and North America and the most enjoyable part being able to interact with the local population to achieve the end goal.
Pros
Global network provides endless opportunities to learn and grow
Cons
Unsocial working hours to interaact with coworkers in different time zones
poor coaching management only care about themselves
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Not a positive environment to work in a lot of politics internally poor coaching and feedback given to employees a lot of turnover and very stressful to communicate with management
Pros
Brand
Cons
Poor coaching
Fun place to work at
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montreal, quebec19 October 2016
Great downtown offices Employers is a very employee-friendly company that provides a great work life balance and flexible work hours. Culture is very conservative and status quo can be strong.
Good place to work overall.
Premier Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 November 2016
Good people at branch level, higher than normal sales targets and sales pressure and compliance expectations. Salary and benefits seem to be competitive.
Great coworkers
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2016
I worked at the branch; they were all welcoming and offered support whenever possible. Lots of opportunities to increase productivity; especially with the advancement of technology, a lot of paper based approaches are still being used at the branch for the tellers.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
salary
Not so bad
Senior Collections (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC23 November 2016
Not a top 50 employer. Not a diversified company. Most men help upper management positions. I was laid off when I was 7 months pregnant after working there for a little more than 8 years so my opinion isn't good.
Great Entry Level Position
Fraud Detection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 January 2016
Tasks are very repetitive and do not offer much experience, not much room for advancement within the team, awesome co-workers, worst shift work - no 2 consecutive days off, often asked to work 6 days a week, one extreme shift (start 7 am one day, two days later, start 4pm), management dismissive of suggestions. Great entry level position for students and young professionals. Apply within after 1 year as the organization is keen to internal hiring.
Pros
Lunches provided by building management, great co workers, easy tasks
Cons
inconsistent shift work, dismissive management
Fun and Firm
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
I come across many opporutnities and challenges every day I am at work. It's fun to deal with the unexpected daily, it makes the job so interesting and the learnings tremendous as I deal with each unexpecetd event as it unfolds.
I have a team who is passionate and motivated and we face our challenges together.
Leadership is about having fun while firm as well. Its about creating an environment where you walk through the door every morning and your excited for the day to begin and look forward to the highs and lows.
I thourougly enjoy every day with my team and look forward to the learnings each and every day.
Pros
Social times as a team
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
Too many levels of management who know nothing
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 November 2016
Skilled people were not promoted or empowered. Only those who are personal friends of the senior executives were given key roles. Long and wee hours due to regular meetings with global project teams.
Good
Junior Achievement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2016
Fast paced, they pay for everything. Lots of growth. No problems with any employee challenges. Flexibly hours, and very family oriented. Very good place
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long Hours
Don't work here.
PERSONAL BANKER (PART-TIME) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 September 2016
HSBC is not a good place to work for anyone who wants a good work life balance. There is a LOT of pressure to meet targets, in fact that's your only job. Meet your targets - get your paycheck.
Decent place
Premium Banker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2016
Good place to grow and learn. Lots of work, but rewarding. Decent advancement opportunities. Lots of relocation opportunity across HSBC.
Stay away
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2016
Toxic culture; on paper the company claims they support you to "do the right thing" but in reality, everyone's just busy covering their own behind, everything is driven from Group and they "tell you" to do as you are told even though it's stupid and makes no sense, but reading between the lines, it's "do what you need to do just don't tell me so that I can blame it on you in case this blows up"
Pros
good bonuses depending on what departments you are in
Cons
tons of free riders, heavy bureaucracy, more decision makers than doers
Stable Job
Pso (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2016
Could be very busy at times. Good co-workers and excellent job training.
Supervisors can be hard with staff when there's conflicts.
Offers free meals to staff and free parking.
Pros
Good Company with great benefits
Cons
Need better Supervisors
productive and challenging
EDD sanctions analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2016
productive and challenging workplace, very professional and experienced management, new techniques to learn and implement.
Growth
Summer Trainee, Global Banking (Former Employee) –  杭州市28 July 2016
Completed HSBC employee training program to acquaint with the company procedures, culture, and ethical codes

Was responsible for client support and became capable of processing client request
a stable job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2016
great work colleagues and superiors
excellent benefits

not much opportunities internally
very repetitive work

HSBC standard is very high since it's a global bank; however, HSBC Canada itself is a small bank with limited services. Working in retail, it was very difficult to make customer happy.
Terrible
Premier Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2016
I've worked for 4 FI's over the years and can tell you that HSBC is by far the worst.

Micromanagement is a huge part of branch life, with management preferring to threaten for motivation, rather than to encourage or celebrate even the smallest of wins. Sometimes, people need encouragement and the only feedback I ever seemed to get from my reporting managers was negative stuff. The training is minimal and the systems are antiquated. It got to the point where confidence was shattered and even the slightest error on my part would result in a closed door meeting for reprimand. I became afraid to do nearly any task, in fear that it would be critiqued in some small way.

Their compliance is far beyond any other bank. I understand KYC and source of funds questions, but they take it to the next level. Too far actually. Clients became upset and would take out frustration on branch staff. Whenever a client became frustrated with process, procedure, delays or anything else, the management was quick to throw staff under the bus, protecting the HSBC brand by turfing blame to the banker the client dealt with. Instead of, "I'm sorry Mr. Client. We'll do the best we can to resolve this matter in a reasonable time and rectify it for you...," they would instead say, "Oh- that's too bad. Would you be interested in another banker?" This pushed blame to people like myself, rather than the underwriters, the bank, the processes, the systems, or even themselves.

If you like worrying about job security and you enjoy constant micromanagement, then HSBC is the place for you.

0.5/5
Pros
Great hours; most branches aren't open weekends.
Cons
terrible management, bonus structure terrible, and embarrassing systems and processes.
International fun company
Officer banking real estate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 November 2016
Great banking where learning is endless and being able to travel around the world and work for the same employer is great . Great advantage to work your lifestyle trew work and family by flex time .
Pros
Flex time
Cons
You need to be a hard worker