H2O Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great student job!
Head Guard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa-Gatineau (multiple locations)10 January 2017
I have worked for H2O for a number of years now, and my experience has been great! H2O is an ideal place to work as a student because they offer flexible work hours in multiple locations, as well as a competitive salary (in comparison with other life guarding jobs). In only a few months, I worked my way up to a head guard, earning myself more money, and getting more experience in the aquatics field. Having the option to choose my own schedule and work around my school timetable was an extra bonus for me! All of the locations are located near the transit-way and are easily accessible. I spent some of my best summers poolside.

If you are a hard worker and a dedicated employee, then H2O is the place for you! And do not worry, you efforts will not go unnoticed.
Pros
flexible hours -you can work as many or little hours as you would like, accessible locations, competing wages
Cons
some long shifts (but extra $$), no overtime pay (all hours worked are paid at regular rate, but you do get paid time and half for working on Statutory Holidays :)
Work overview
Recreation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
They can be very good to accommodate there employees. But they ask alot of independence from there employees and tasks finished in short amounts of time. Depending on the the site there is a diffrent lenght of tasks to be done. One center that i work at i clean everything from floor to top of the walls and another is just taking care of a pool and it's cleanliness. You are a glorified janitor and receptionist.
Pros
Breaks when you need them / clients very nice and accomadating when you are cleaning.
Cons
Long hours / not enough time to do some tasks/ no benifits
garage
Service à la clientèle et vente par téléphone (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 September 2016
c'est un travail d'acceuille et de service à la clientèle.
Très facile mais aucun avancement. J'aspire a plus
J'aimerais aussi travaillé plus près de chez moi aussi .
Pros
in nature
Cons
far from home
All work and no time for personal life
Recreation Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2016
Working in this position demands that you give up most of your social life as you are on call 5-6 days a week, 7am -10pm. With this job you are constantly dealing with angry patrons and incompetent employees on a daily basis leading to a high stress work life.

A typical day consists of someone not showing up to work at 7am, and having property managers calling angrily. I'd have to drive out in rush hour traffic to open the site, all the while trying to find someone willing to work that shift. Most of the time people weren't found and you'd be stuck working the shift while having all sorts of managerial tasks pilling up.

When an employee makes a mistake, you are the one that ends up getting most of the blame as you are their superior, also for the most part the employees are sub-par leftover guards that are not qualified to work at the city pools.
Pros
Friendly HR department, Good professional experience
Cons
Long Hours, No bonuses, Unrealistic work expectations
Unique Working Environment, Awesome Staff!
Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 October 2014
I've worked with H2O for some time now, and I've really enjoyed it right from the start.

I was hired as a Head Lifeguard for one of their outdoor pools. I will fill out this review for that position.

The location of my facility was excellent. Working outside for the summer was a good choice, it led to learning how to work around weather conditions, as well as giving me the chance to enjoy some sunlight.

In a typical day as a Head Lifeguard, I:
- Developed task lists
- Organized lifeguard rotations
- Maintained the pool filtration system
- Monitored the pool chemical levels
- Greeted clients and enforced Pool Access Control rules
- Ran some group games for the children at the facility
- Practiced basic lifeguarding skills with the other guards
- Cleaned and maintained the facility

I learned a lot about how to be an effective leader, more than anything else. I also learned (through trial and error with task delegation) that people work better together when they enjoy what they're doing.

The management team functions in a very effective and unique manner. The Supervisors are in charge of multiple sites, which is excellent for gaining leadership and communication skills as a Head Guard or Lifeguard.

I've always been lucky to have good co-workers at H2O. We occasionally butted heads, but generally had no issues sorting out whatever had caused the debate.

The hardest part of this job, for me, was the work-life balance. I took on lots of extra work and shifts, which tilted the balance quite far in one direction. Another difficult part was finding enough
  more... work to keep ourselves entertained when it poured rain and the facility was closed for thunder or lightning.

The best part of the job was being able to work outside, with good people, while developing strong leadership skills that will prove extremely useful in the future.
Pros
Working outside is an option, leadership skills development, good staff
Cons
Uncooperative weather is difficult, some long hours
cheap, unprofessional company
Lifeguard supervisor/ Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On6 May 2014
they pay 25cents more than minimum wage!!! They never pay overtime and want people to work long hours. There is very little training offered. They hire people without even a proper skills test, everything is done orally. Management does not care about employees and does not back them up. You have to pay for your own swim suit and re-certs. The sites that are available to lifeguard are often one guard sites, and many do not even have a bathroom to use. It is by far the worst company to work for.
Pros
two piece swimsuit
Cons
everything else