H&R Block

H&R Block Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A VARIETY OF WORK, APPLYING THEORY HELP CLIENTS
Junior tax (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2012
Pros: practical education
Cons: office politics
Many clients are anxious or ignorant about taxes but HR Block provides a lot of theory and assistance to help clients. The volume of preparing tax returns is the most important metric.
Fun working there
Coordinator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 26, 2012
I have learned so much there. Very busy place to work for. but at the same time you learn too.
busy days, cooperative coworkers, good management
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2012
I Like working at H&R Block Canada, peolpe are friendly and cooperative. It is a fast peace work enviroment.
Loved my job
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, NSSeptember 17, 2012
I really loved this job, it was a small office so we all got to know each other so well. The management was great, They were always there if you needed something and they really cared about you and family.
fun working place
Receptionist (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABSeptember 3, 2012
Pros: the experience i gained
i loved the fast pased envionment and enjoyed the company i worked with
wonderful seasonal postition
Office Manager (Current Employee), Port Colborne, ONAugust 31, 2012
Pros: having people work as a team to achive the same goals
Cons: long hours
during tax season the hours are Monday to Sunday sometimes 14 hour days, but it is always busy with many things to do. I learned how to manage individuals to bring out the best of their abilities and to work as a team.

One of the downfalls of the company was having to pay the company every year for the income tax course that we were required to complete – more... in order to keep our jobs. – less
fun workpalce
Income tax preparer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 22, 2012
Pros: salary plus bonus
Cons: no benefits
My typical day at H& R block was to great customers with a smile and prepare their Income tax returns. I learned how to prepare personal and small business returns. I management was very helpful and easy to work for. My co-workers were ready and willing to help out with any problems I encountered. The hardest part of the job was the challenge of small – more... business returns. The most enjoyable part of the job was how the clients felt after I finished the return, they just smiled and thanked me for work well done. – less
Not the best place to work.
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 20, 2012
Part-time seasonal. Management may get frustrated and criticize tax pro. in the presence of clients, a no no! Salary is very basic.
income tax consultant
Income Tax Consultant (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 14, 2012
i prepared income taxes for customers. it was seasonal and i found out after working there that they hire first year people but rarely keep them on i was very dissappointed
Allows me to further my education.
Office Leader (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCAugust 2, 2012
Pros: flexible schedules allows me to take university courses.
Cons: seasonal work, can not make a secure living.
Excellent district manager. She knows how to fix everything (computer problems, jammed equipment, people situations), not just the usual figure head.

Also allowes me to further my education.

Co-workers like family.
productive and fun place to work
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONAugust 1, 2012
Pros: meeting peole
Cons: some client can get mad at you when no refund
Helping the clients get the best refund.
That even if you get client refunds and always want more
Productive and Fun Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Brampton, OnJuly 31, 2012
Fast Pace Environment
Diverse Group of Employees
Knowledgeble Tax Preparers
Learnt a lot.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Grande PrairieJuly 11, 2012
Pros: the people i worked with were awesome.
Cons: long hours
Worked with many different clients, getting them checked into have their taxes done, booked appointments for people who came into the office or who phoned. Dealt with angry impatient people.
Pleasant place to work
Cash Back Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 10, 2012
Pros: christmas party
Cons: seasonal job only
A typical day at H&R Block was that of entry names and
addresses of clients tax returns. The different offices would
phone in the clients information while preparing the income tax.
Our job was to type with speed and accuracy this information
given to us over the phone. I also assisted in the printing of the
cash back cheques and preparing them for – more... pick up to be distrubuted
to the other tax offices here in Ottawa. Also did photocoping and
filing as required of all the tax forms.

Hardest part would be getting the right spelling of an individual's names and some of the tax prepares were foreigners and hard
to understand at times.

Most enjoyable part of the job was my Cash Back Manager.
She allowed us to work under our own supervision and
did not pressure us in any way. – less
Continuous learning, fast paced, short season
Income Tax Preparer (Current Employee), Stirling, ONJuly 4, 2012
Pros: new challenge
Cons: short season
During the intense season the days go by very quickly. I learned so much every day about taxes, people, how lives are effected by money.
Knowledge of management was their strength.
The hardest part of my job was learning the job from a text book and trying to impletment it .
The most enjoyable part of my job was relating to the client and the everyday – more... challenge. – less
Tax Professional
Tax Professional (Current Employee), NE Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2012
Pros: good for clients
Cons: poor wages to employees
A good company to work for, team work, deal with customer all the time. When you client understands your explanation of hoe tax works, that's the most enjoyable part of the job. Team work is amazing.
easy position
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2012
Pros: easy, no pressure
Cons: seasonal position
prepare tax returns for clients
communicate with CRA when necessary
Low wages, no advancement, incompetent DM, say no more!
part-time associate (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 20, 2012
Pros: nothing pro
Cons: long hours, poor pay and rude senior staff including the dm and assistant dm.
The wages are low and you take some staff have rather extensive backgrounds and deserve more. Anyone can be taught to input data but to truly understand what it means is something else.

Training is minimal once you are at the office which yes, you gahve your course but to have clients thrown at you tout suite is not good business practice. This gives – more... both the client who is paying TOP dollar for the service and the poor schmuck employee a bad experience right off the get go. Most senior staff have no use for the newbies and even though new employees are guaranteed that the senior staff are the to help out, nobody is watching and it rarely happens. I' ve seen both endas of the spectrum on that one. New staff looking for assistance because they aren't well trained and the senior staff fed up with doing the training for no extra money.

The DM for the area I worked actually threatened to have employees arrested because they were giving out the student discount too often... Even though the clients were indeed students. I actually kept an email that was circulated by him and it was threatening and in very poor taste. Funny thing was, a copy went to his boss and the staff never received an apology so that meant that she agreed with this... get real people! The DM was from a far eastern province and the English used and language spoken was improper. We used to laugh when a new message came through from him, it was full of grammatical errors, slang and the tone was always rude.

Good luck to anyone that made more than $10 bucks an hour! I have financial experience and I could roll out 3 pr 4 per hour and wasn't paid accordingly. Much less get a thank you or fair compensation!

I wouldn't recommend H&R Block to even the most desperate employee. – less
productive enjoyable work place
customer service rep (Former Employee), Penticton, BCJune 18, 2012
i would recommend anyone to work there it is such a fun place to work the only downfall is that it is a seasonal job
Receptionist (Former Employee), Kirkland QuebecJune 7, 2012
Pros: team spirit at our branch
Cons: correcting other peoples mistakes and being yelled at by customer
In tax season very busy, but our office has a great team and we all help each other work asxa team, also have time to laugh at ourselves and some strange people we meet.. Have learned many new computer skills, find the work very interesting.
Have an excellent Dist Manager and District Mgr.

The most difficult part of the work is trying to always be – more... diplomatic with certain types of people.

Having an haf an hour for lunch is very difficult , unless you bring your own, by the time you go and get it, you have to rush and that is not too healthy. – less