H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

making Samples and sales products to customers
Duties - Receptionist, Taking (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh MallMay 31, 2014
A typical day at work would be at Christmas time when we prepare different products t customers its alot of fun..I learned taking responsibly at work and be responsible paying for my bills and also responsible of the products we are sealing to people always show a good attribute at work even if you are in bad mood that the managements features and always help your coworkers and make any conflict between them. The most enjoyably time at work when coworkers helps one another and when the day goes very smooth. The hardest parts when conflict is arise between coworkers.
Pros
free lunches
Satisfied Client
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJanuary 18, 2013
Clients want someone that can provide them with an accurate return that will give them the maximum benefits of tax reductions. This was our main focus.
Pros
friends and family free returns
Meeting people - Customer Services
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 17, 2015
Talking with people, listening to their problems and help them to solve the problems.
Giving tax tips to client to get maximum refund on their income tax. Give them information about the tax deductible things
Pros
Update income tax registration every years to get the best advantage
Cons
Seasonal position only
Good seasonal job
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 26, 2013
Good seasonal job, salary is too low, no benefits. Office is too small, and hours were not distributed properly
Pros
good experience, lots to learn
Cons
temp job
Great people to work with
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2014
- Office is away from downtown
- Gym on site
- Good benefits
- Parking
- Perks
Pros
great social committee
Cons
planning and execution is poor
smelly atmosphere, crowded areas, busy bodies
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, ABMarch 27, 2015
I enjoy working at the front meeting people, answering the phone, filing, computer use, copying documents, etc. I did not enjoy vacuuming the rugs, taking care of the garbage and hauling it out to my car and hauling it away. company to cheap to get a dumpster. the clients are free to use our bathroom which I did not agree with. the program for the receptionist was not adequate enough to be able to take care of my mistakes without bothering the office manager. the co workers were polite and helpful to me. I had notes put on my wall of the desk to help me remember things to do according to the receipts, making appointments, etc. I reorganized the area where we store items so that we had enough room for the clients to get around with falling over the items. I unpacked the new chairs that was bought. I carried heavy boxes up stairs into the office and emptied them and broke the boxes apart to be able to throw them away.
Friendly workplace and busy
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2015
A typical day at work included communicating with various customers and CRA. I learned how to file tax forms and communicate with public over the phone as well as face to face. The hardest part of this job was travelling the distance between work and home with young kids. Most enjoyable part of the job was the the training prior to working.
Pros
Training experience
Cons
Distance between work and home
ideal for part-time job which supplements a full-time job
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  VancouverJune 30, 2015
Good for learning new tax law and to keep adding more customer service skills and knowledge each year. Enjoyable meeting new co-workers and interacting with new and recurring clients.
Pros
Flexible scheduling and meeting new clients
Cons
low pay and sometimes challenging demanding clients
great people to work for and with
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSMay 26, 2015
From the time you start until the time you end, you have great people to work with and to help you if and when you needed extra information. Hardest part of the job is when the tax season is over and you miss your co workers. The most enjoyable part is when you are able to help the clients prepare their taxes and show them where they would be able to improve their refund or if they needed extra information forms for different situations.
Great working enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  calgaryAugust 8, 2013
Great company to work for but salary is low and tax season are overwhelming
Positive fast paced work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 29, 2015
Arrive 15 mins early and log into all systems, review schedule, check email for any updates. Welcome clients and assign them to a tax pro that best fits their individual needs
H&R Block
Front Office/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMarch 22, 2015
A typical day at to work consists of helping clients book appointment and being them to the scheduled tax associate to complete their taxes. I learned how to work in an office environment. My management was mostly fair depending on the situation. My coworkers were mostly amazing. The hardest part of my job was working late when needed. The most enjoyable part was working with people.
Enjoyable.
CSP (Former Employee) –  prince george, bcApril 15, 2015
H&R Block, is a great place to work I highly recommend applying there. I am currently in process of learning how to do basic T4's. I manage appointments, phone calls, filing, and faxing. My co-workers are great all have a amazing personalities. The hardest part of this job is having the computers break down during a appointment. The most enjoyable part of being here is socializing with my clients and doing the best to make them have a great time here at H&R block. I definitely want to apply here again next year.
Pros
Absolutely everything.
Cons
Computers breaking down.
Low wages, no advancement, incompetent DM, say no more!
part-time associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 20, 2012
The wages are low and you take some staff have rather extensive backgrounds and deserve more. Anyone can be taught to input data but to truly understand what it means is something else.

Training is minimal once you are at the office which yes, you gahve your course but to have clients thrown at you tout suite is not good business practice. This gives both the client who is paying TOP dollar for the service and the poor schmuck employee a bad experience right off the get go. Most senior staff have no use for the newbies and even though new employees are guaranteed that the senior staff are the to help out, nobody is watching and it rarely happens. I' ve seen both endas of the spectrum on that one. New staff looking for assistance because they aren't well trained and the senior staff fed up with doing the training for no extra money.

The DM for the area I worked actually threatened to have employees arrested because they were giving out the student discount too often... Even though the clients were indeed students. I actually kept an email that was circulated by him and it was threatening and in very poor taste. Funny thing was, a copy went to his boss and the staff never received an apology so that meant that she agreed with this... get real people! The DM was from a far eastern province and the English used and language spoken was improper. We used to laugh when a new message came through from him, it was full of grammatical errors, slang and the tone was always rude.

Good luck to anyone that made more than $10 bucks an hour! I have financial experience and I could roll out
  more... 3 pr 4 per hour and wasn't paid accordingly. Much less get a thank you or fair compensation!

I wouldn't recommend H&R Block to even the most desperate employee.
Pros
nothing pro
Cons
long hours, poor pay and rude senior staff including the dm and assistant dm.
High energy and fast paced
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Shawville, QCJune 17, 2015
Working at H&R Block is a high energy fast paced job. Meeting with clients and preparing their returns. I've improved on my organizational skills and customer service. My co-workers were fantastic to work with, always happy. My most enjoyable part of my day was having satisfied customers.
Experienced People to work with
Tax Accountant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
not very fast paced, a lot to learn in terns of Canadian Taxation Laws and Regulations. Usually more time during the off season to learn.
Productive and helped in setting a standard in Customer service levels.
Tax Proffessional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 2, 2015
It was a busy work station. Although seasonal i was able to improve my computer skills and customer service skills.People form varied walks of life came to do their taxes and that gave me an insight into the life of people in canada.
flexible schedule
Professional tax consultant (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonJuly 13, 2015
easy going colleages, 4 months training before work, you got your own office. job is pretty easy but fast-paced. overall good.
I enjoy the work environment.
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 26, 2014
A typical day at work involves dealing with clients to complete their tax returns and answer their questions. The hardest part of the job is dealing with client complaints because it is not always pleasant but fortunately it does not happen that often. The most enjoyable part is continuously learning new concepts. Tax laws are always changing and there are many new aspects to learn. We have a great training department on staff and everyone is pleasant to deal with.
Pros
management is understanding to family needs so they are very flexible.
Cons
the pay is not in line with the high level of knowledge required for the job.
Productive environment, senior associates are very helpful in mentoring to develop skills.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMarch 26, 2015
Day starts with clock in, going over schedule and calling to book appointments. I have learned to listen as a first-year tax professional. Listen and pay attention to details. If mistake has been made admit them and learn from those mistakes. Looking at big picture and assist proactively rather than reactively.
Pros
Friendly work environment.
Cons
Hourly pay is low.

4.3