H&R Block Employee Reviews

Loved the experiance.
Office Assistant/ part time (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC15 April 2015
It was a great Job. loved working with the clients and would like to do it again.hours were 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to saturday. for three months. As it was my first year i was restricted with the level of paper work. I was more frustrated when my CEO then held me back from getting work done because she was busy. She is not there now.
CSR, Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 August 2015
This is my favorite job ive ever had. I get to interact with clients daily in person and on the phone. They are flexible and generous with hours. I enjoy managing an office. It allows me to organize and rearrange things while i add new profiles and clients into the system. I also learned so much while working there and i cant wait until next year to learn even more. I worked in three separate offices and juggled the hours between the three. I had great supervisors at all three offices and they made me feel so welcome and comfortable it really made my job that much easier. I was very happy to go to work everyday and always expressed that in the way i ran the office. At times things can be stressful, but i found for the most part the clients just misunderstand and get defensive. My job was to calm them down and explain and keep them as a client. Which i found to be quite easy. All in all, this was a great place to work.
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Extended hours weeks.
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond Hill17 July 2015
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
Pros
Good relationship with colleagues
Cons
Small payment
Great for short term and learning about personal taxes
Tax Professional level 3 (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON4 April 2015
I loved working for H&R Block. It was a wonderful experience, and I do believe it helped me succeed in education. Lots of people from different walks of life, always meeting different clients with different needs, creates a great learning atmosphere and most tax professionals with more experience are very helpful. Only employed for 4 months, as tax season is only 10 weeks and the pre-season training is minimal. I would go back, but unfortunately was time to move on and explore more career focused opportunities.
Pros
Free tax returns for friends and family
Cons
Fluctuating client levels mess with metricks
Wonderful working experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 December 2015
our office leader was so helpful... I learned a lot from her; co-workers were easy to get along with and the clients were varied but so nice ... the job itself is nice but the facilities need some work - the washroom is so far away from the office/unit
Pros
very helpful team leader
Cons
washroom is too far away from the office/unit
Productive company but a good working environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NL2 September 2015
I only worked at H&R Block during the tax season (February to April 30).

A typical day at work involved meeting with clients, conducting an interview for the purpose of preparing their tax return in such a way that they paid the least amount of tax as prescribed the law. In the majority of cases, the end result proved to be of a good nature and it gave you a good feeling knowing that the client is leaving feeling satisfied with the overall outcome.
This was not always the case and you had to deal with the good as well as the bad.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learning from them as well as providing support whenever support was requested.

Each year there was a couple of weeks that we called 'peak' and this resulted in clients have long wait times. This brought on some minimal stress but in the end the client fully understood the situation and left on a good note.

Overall, H&R Block is a good place to work.
Pros
Good People to work with, enjoyed meeting people
Cons
busy and stressful during peak time
Productive place during the tax season.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 November 2015
Helping customer preparing the tax return. Trying to minimize their tax payable. Management is always willing to help. Communicate with the customer effectively.
Great Seasonal Employment
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 November 2015
Enjoyed being a part of the team. It was like an extended family. I love working with people and enjoyed the contact. There was a great pleasure in being able to help all types of people and circumstances. As an instructor, it gave a level of accomplishment
and satisfaction that will always be one of my best memories.
You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB3 October 2015
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
A Good Starting
Tax Professional Level II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 March 2012
My duty is to prepare clients' individual income tax return to make sure they get back the maximum refund or pay the less tax. Since the clients' situations are not the same, the tax credits they can claim are quite different. It is a big challenge to conduct client interview as we need to cover all aspects which may have effect on the calculation of tax. After the interview I will do data entry, with accuracy and speedy. Then I will explain the result to client, letting them know how the result is that much and why there is a difference with prior year's return. Future, I will give clients tax tips for next year's return. Next I will collect the service fee and explain the fee we charge. At last I will file the return and store documents in designed area. It is a great job to start a professional career.
Pros
learn new skills and meet great clients
Cons
season job
n/a
Tax Preparer Training (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 January 2016
As a tranee I just attending class. I love to study this Tax Course. I'm very glad that I passed the course with flying colours. I'm planning to continue in this field in the future.
very fun and fast paced enviornment. The people there made me look forward to going to work
Seasonal Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB24 June 2014
I can't say enough good things about this job. The people were very understanding and supportive of a learning curve and very appreciative of the work you do. When I made mistakes they were there to help me out and to learn from them, when I did a good job they made a point of letting me know they noticed. The staff and management are all supportive of each other and work as a team. Everyone helped everyone out. Very fast paced work during peak season, dealing with many tax returns a day so the day went by very fast. Management would give sweet little gifts on special occasion like an easter basket full of chocolates for easter or flowers, and encouraged you to make work fun.
Pros
free lunches on Saturday, always showed appreciation, supportive and understanding
Cons
was only a seasonal position
Fast-paced and self-motivated while maintaining exceptional customer service standards.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 June 2014
A typical day at work involved meeting clients, probing for relevant information, preparation of tax returns and submission of returns by E-file to Canada Revenue Agency.
I learned an impressive amount of information regarding Canada and it's income tax policies and procedures.
Management was always supportive.
My co-workers were intelligent, trained professionals who were more than happy to provide mentoring and assistance.
The hardest part of the job was attempting to find relevant tax rulings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with clients on confidential manners while committed to addressing customer concerns with speed, accuracy and professionalism.
Pros
Independance of self-paced working environment
Cons
Independance of self-paced working environment
variety in the type of work, appreciation of what you do for someone which may seem simple to you but weight lifting for them
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 September 2013
Handling phone calls, answering questions regarding filing of tax returns, or responding to Canada Revenue for clients that have filed and additional information is needed preparing various types of tax returns.
Hardest part--adjusting and staying on top of the constant change whether it be different management or new tax law
enjoyable--Helping clients receive satisfaction by resolve problems with preparing their tax returns or their inquiries from Canada Revenue. As an instructor with either the Public courses or employee classes the satisfaction of seeing them learn and apply new skills and knowledge.
Pros
employees able to upgrade knowledge for cost of textbook, company subsidizes classroom expense
Cons
seasonal
Great place to work for
District Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 January 2016
My only reason for leaving was due to my husband being relocated for his job. Other wise I would have been there for another 15 years!
The company didn't really care if you stayed or went. It is the almight dollar to them.
SENIOR TAX PROFESSIONAL - H & R BLOCK CANADA (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta3 March 2014
Worked long hours teaching taxes to the public and other tax professionals in the company. I also was the Office Leader of one store where I managed time and expenses. I took every course I could to increase my knowledge to share with my co workers. Tax time is a big push for all agencies and we are pushed constantly to become number one.
I have enjoyed my time and am now looking into part time accounting, a field I truly love.
Pros
Great to meet new people every day.
Cons
No recognition
A job can learn many skills
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON4 March 2013
-File tax return for customers, answer any questions related to their tax return and suggest eligible refundable/non-refundable tax credit.
-I learned customer service skills, taxation knowledge and co-operation skill working in a team.
-The co-workers are very nice and helpful. We all support each other and work as a team to reach some goals which are set by management. For example: promoting master card sales, service grading rate.
-The hardest part is to meet the need of the customers. Some customers assume they could have refund each year, but that may not be true.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is to enjoy learning through acquiring experience.
Pros
learn about taxation
Cons
place to work is assigned and it is far.
Fun working with people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON20 December 2015
Always interested to interact with others. I did worked for 4 seasons with H&R Blockand always have fun to come back. Sometime stressfull but still, i like helping people as much i can
Great co-workers
Client Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Selkirk, MB30 April 2015
A typical day in an H&R office is rather enjoyable. It is a strong positive environment with the perfect model of team work. We are all here to assist one another. At times it can be very fast paced and others rather slow paced but there is always something to do.

Corporate management could use some work. There is alot of avoidance when it comes to dealing with client complaints. Our biggest complaint is the prices. In my opinion there is no good explanation for so many price increases in one tax season.
I enjoy the work environment.
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 October 2014
A typical day at work involves dealing with clients to complete their tax returns and answer their questions. The hardest part of the job is dealing with client complaints because it is not always pleasant but fortunately it does not happen that often. The most enjoyable part is continuously learning new concepts. Tax laws are always changing and there are many new aspects to learn. We have a great training department on staff and everyone is pleasant to deal with.
Pros
Management is understanding to family needs so they are very flexible.
Cons
The pay is not in line with the high level of knowledge required for the job.

4.2