H&R Block Employee Reviews

Great people to work with
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2014
- Office is away from downtown
- Gym on site
- Good benefits
- Parking
- Perks
Pros
Great Social Committee
Cons
Planning and Execution is poor
Productive fast paste work
Office Administrator / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Transcona, MB5 November 2015
this job during tax season is fast paste. There are a vast range of clients and demands. In most part it is gratifying for me, as I learnt a lot from watching all the tax pros at work. Working with the all the financial aspects of taxes has been helpful in my learning the other side of doing taxes. One of the hardest part of the job is dealing with really irrate people during the tax season, but reassuring them has been challenging and gratifying at the same time. I get along with all office staff and management, we are a great team.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
seasonal
Great working enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  calgary8 August 2013
Great company to work for but salary is low and tax season are overwhelming
Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON16 May 2016
Lots of work to keep you busy.
steady flow of clients, great coworkers, learning each day, short employment, as this is seasonal
Good
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 May 2016
Good working environment, more learning while doing tax return. My co workers and supervisor are very helpful and they help me while i am not understanding any thing.
Great.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 May 2016
This company was great to work with, I really enjoyed being a part of the team. Would definitely consider going back. I learned a lot from this wonderful environment.
Low wages, no advancement, incompetent DM, say no more!
part-time associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 June 2012
The wages are low and you take some staff have rather extensive backgrounds and deserve more. Anyone can be taught to input data but to truly understand what it means is something else.

Training is minimal once you are at the office which yes, you gahve your course but to have clients thrown at you tout suite is not good business practice. This gives both the client who is paying TOP dollar for the service and the poor schmuck employee a bad experience right off the get go. Most senior staff have no use for the newbies and even though new employees are guaranteed that the senior staff are the to help out, nobody is watching and it rarely happens. I' ve seen both endas of the spectrum on that one. New staff looking for assistance because they aren't well trained and the senior staff fed up with doing the training for no extra money.

The DM for the area I worked actually threatened to have employees arrested because they were giving out the student discount too often... Even though the clients were indeed students. I actually kept an email that was circulated by him and it was threatening and in very poor taste. Funny thing was, a copy went to his boss and the staff never received an apology so that meant that she agreed with this... get real people! The DM was from a far eastern province and the English used and language spoken was improper. We used to laugh when a new message came through from him, it was full of grammatical errors, slang and the tone was always rude.

Good luck to anyone that made more than $10 bucks an hour! I have financial experience and I could roll out
  more... 3 pr 4 per hour and wasn't paid accordingly. Much less get a thank you or fair compensation!

I wouldn't recommend H&R Block to even the most desperate employee.
Pros
nothing pro
Cons
long hours, poor pay and rude senior staff including the dm and assistant dm.
Productive and fun workplace.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2016
I really enjoy this tax season. I get to know lot of people and get easily along with them. I make lot of friends while enjoying doing their taxes. This is an unforgettable experience. I also practice my tax course learn at school and getting very good at it each day passing.
Very Positive
Client Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 March 2016
I enjoy working at H and R Block very much.
I've learned many skills to add to my resume ...unfortunately this position is only seasonal.
Pros
Great company and environment to work in.
Cons
Seasonal Employment
Fun place to work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2016
I ended up managing the kiosk that I am working at this year.
I have a great team and most importantly, I have support and access to any assistance I require.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON28 September 2015
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Pros
working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons
Owner sold the company
Loved the experiance.
Office Assistant/ part time (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC15 April 2015
It was a great Job. loved working with the clients and would like to do it again.hours were 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to saturday. for three months. As it was my first year i was restricted with the level of paper work. I was more frustrated when my CEO then held me back from getting work done because she was busy. She is not there now.
Not friendly towards the Tax Associates
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2016
Working towards preparing taxes was great and very interesting to serve clients who have great regards for all tax associates.
Great for short term and learning about personal taxes
Tax Professional level 3 (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON4 April 2015
I loved working for H&R Block. It was a wonderful experience, and I do believe it helped me succeed in education. Lots of people from different walks of life, always meeting different clients with different needs, creates a great learning atmosphere and most tax professionals with more experience are very helpful. Only employed for 4 months, as tax season is only 10 weeks and the pre-season training is minimal. I would go back, but unfortunately was time to move on and explore more career focused opportunities.
Pros
Free tax returns for friends and family
Cons
Fluctuating client levels mess with metricks
A Good Starting
Tax Professional Level II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 March 2012
My duty is to prepare clients' individual income tax return to make sure they get back the maximum refund or pay the less tax. Since the clients' situations are not the same, the tax credits they can claim are quite different. It is a big challenge to conduct client interview as we need to cover all aspects which may have effect on the calculation of tax. After the interview I will do data entry, with accuracy and speedy. Then I will explain the result to client, letting them know how the result is that much and why there is a difference with prior year's return. Future, I will give clients tax tips for next year's return. Next I will collect the service fee and explain the fee we charge. At last I will file the return and store documents in designed area. It is a great job to start a professional career.
Pros
learn new skills and meet great clients
Cons
season job
variety in the type of work, appreciation of what you do for someone which may seem simple to you but weight lifting for them
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 September 2013
Handling phone calls, answering questions regarding filing of tax returns, or responding to Canada Revenue for clients that have filed and additional information is needed preparing various types of tax returns.
Hardest part--adjusting and staying on top of the constant change whether it be different management or new tax law
enjoyable--Helping clients receive satisfaction by resolve problems with preparing their tax returns or their inquiries from Canada Revenue. As an instructor with either the Public courses or employee classes the satisfaction of seeing them learn and apply new skills and knowledge.
Pros
employees able to upgrade knowledge for cost of textbook, company subsidizes classroom expense
Cons
seasonal
Fast-paced and self-motivated while maintaining exceptional customer service standards.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 June 2014
A typical day at work involved meeting clients, probing for relevant information, preparation of tax returns and submission of returns by E-file to Canada Revenue Agency.
I learned an impressive amount of information regarding Canada and it's income tax policies and procedures.
Management was always supportive.
My co-workers were intelligent, trained professionals who were more than happy to provide mentoring and assistance.
The hardest part of the job was attempting to find relevant tax rulings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with clients on confidential manners while committed to addressing customer concerns with speed, accuracy and professionalism.
Pros
Independance of self-paced working environment
Cons
Independance of self-paced working environment
very fun and fast paced enviornment. The people there made me look forward to going to work
Seasonal Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB24 June 2014
I can't say enough good things about this job. The people were very understanding and supportive of a learning curve and very appreciative of the work you do. When I made mistakes they were there to help me out and to learn from them, when I did a good job they made a point of letting me know they noticed. The staff and management are all supportive of each other and work as a team. Everyone helped everyone out. Very fast paced work during peak season, dealing with many tax returns a day so the day went by very fast. Management would give sweet little gifts on special occasion like an easter basket full of chocolates for easter or flowers, and encouraged you to make work fun.
Pros
free lunches on Saturday, always showed appreciation, supportive and understanding
Cons
was only a seasonal position
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond Hill17 July 2015
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
Pros
Good relationship with colleagues
Cons
Small payment
The company didn't really care if you stayed or went. It is the almight dollar to them.
SENIOR TAX PROFESSIONAL - H & R BLOCK CANADA (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta3 March 2014
Worked long hours teaching taxes to the public and other tax professionals in the company. I also was the Office Leader of one store where I managed time and expenses. I took every course I could to increase my knowledge to share with my co workers. Tax time is a big push for all agencies and we are pushed constantly to become number one.
I have enjoyed my time and am now looking into part time accounting, a field I truly love.
Pros
Great to meet new people every day.
Cons
No recognition

4.2