H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun Days
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Prince George BCJune 25, 2015
Always went to work happy. Loved being with my co-workers. Never hated one thing except schedules. They always seemed to change it on me.
Pros
Dealing with Clients
Cons
Scheduling
High energy and fast paced
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Shawville, QCJune 17, 2015
Working at H&R Block is a high energy fast paced job. Meeting with clients and preparing their returns. I've improved on my organizational skills and customer service. My co-workers were fantastic to work with, always happy. My most enjoyable part of my day was having satisfied customers.
Friendly workplace and busy
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2015
A typical day at work included communicating with various customers and CRA. I learned how to file tax forms and communicate with public over the phone as well as face to face. The hardest part of this job was travelling the distance between work and home with young kids. Most enjoyable part of the job was the the training prior to working.
Pros
Training experience
Cons
Distance between work and home
H&R Block
Office Leader/Tax Professional Seasonally (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 9, 2015
Excellent team working company to work for. This company is very fast paced and the employees get along with each other. There is always a lot of customer service experience.
Productive and helped in setting a standard in Customer service levels.
Tax Proffessional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 2, 2015
It was a busy work station. Although seasonal i was able to improve my computer skills and customer service skills.People form varied walks of life came to do their taxes and that gave me an insight into the life of people in canada.
An overall good experience
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OnMay 31, 2015
Prepared tax papers for tax submissions and returns
Answered telephones and provided information to clients
Type, printed and copied documents as requested
Performed data entry services
Made appointments and worked with correspondence
Pros
team work
Cons
great people to work for and with
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSMay 26, 2015
From the time you start until the time you end, you have great people to work with and to help you if and when you needed extra information. Hardest part of the job is when the tax season is over and you miss your co workers. The most enjoyable part is when you are able to help the clients prepare their taxes and show them where they would be able to improve their refund or if they needed extra information forms for different situations.
Very challenging work situation, good team building environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 15, 2015
Come in an hour early on my own time to prepare for the day.
Establish a comfortable relationship with each individual and ensure I was able to obtain all the necessary information to assure the most accurate tax accounting result.
Learned to listen to each client and provide advice on tax management for future years.
Team working was essential and coordination with co-workers was an essential part of the job.
The hardest part was advising clients that they had not managed their tax deductions wisely and they owed tax to Canada Revenue. The flip side was telling clients that they had a refund that they did not expect and celebrating that moment with them.
Pros
Free tax preparation for friends and family
Cons
Low Salary
Fun place to work at
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2015
My Typical day would include:
Filing income taxes for people
Making appointments and Cancelling appointments
doing taxes for drop offs.
Pros
balanced work and personal time
H & R Block is a decent place to work.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBApril 27, 2015
In a typical day I would open and close shop, greet and inform clients, direct them to the appropriate professionals, schedule clients, and prepare and organize client portfolios.
A good working environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONApril 27, 2015
* Daily review of the number of tax return filled with management.

* Senior tax preparers always willing to assist with tough/difficult returns.
Great place to learn about tax system
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, OntarioApril 27, 2015
Not much training is given, a lot is expected. People are not especially helpful and managment lacks leadership capabilities. There are no chances of growth, they want people to work for free. Not to place to work year after year.
Pros
You learn about CRA and tax system of the country
Cons
Headoffice think little of people who make them money
Loved the experiance.
Office Assistant/ part time (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCApril 15, 2015
It was a great Job. loved working with the clients and would like to do it again.hours were 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to saturday. for three months. As it was my first year i was restricted with the level of paper work. I was more frustrated when my CEO then held me back from getting work done because she was busy. She is not there now.
Enjoyable.
CSP (Former Employee) –  prince george, bcApril 15, 2015
H&R Block, is a great place to work I highly recommend applying there. I am currently in process of learning how to do basic T4's. I manage appointments, phone calls, filing, and faxing. My co-workers are great all have a amazing personalities. The hardest part of this job is having the computers break down during a appointment. The most enjoyable part of being here is socializing with my clients and doing the best to make them have a great time here at H&R block. I definitely want to apply here again next year.
Pros
Absolutely everything.
Cons
Computers breaking down.
Fast paced
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 15, 2015
Working here requires a bit of a thick skin.
Remember that you are handling all forms of clients that have different ways of handling their finances. The moods and responses to their taxes can cause trouble. Luckily they train you how to handle that here unlike other companies.
Professional and educational place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 12, 2015
Learning new job skills every year
Knowledgeable co-workers
Clients are not always easy to work with, trying to make everyone as happy as you can
Enjoy working with people and learning new things everyday I work
Pros
Working with people, learning new things
Cons
Not always being able to tell clients what they want to hear
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 6, 2015
Good Taxation knowledge
Flexible Schedule
Very interactive top level Management
One on One client interaction
Customer Service
Accounting
Great for short term and learning about personal taxes
Tax Professional level 3 (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 4, 2015
I loved working for H&R Block. It was a wonderful experience, and I do believe it helped me succeed in education. Lots of people from different walks of life, always meeting different clients with different needs, creates a great learning atmosphere and most tax professionals with more experience are very helpful. Only employed for 4 months, as tax season is only 10 weeks and the pre-season training is minimal. I would go back, but unfortunately was time to move on and explore more career focused opportunities.
Pros
Free tax returns for friends and family
Cons
Fluctuating client levels mess with metricks
smelly atmosphere, crowded areas, busy bodies
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, ABMarch 27, 2015
I enjoy working at the front meeting people, answering the phone, filing, computer use, copying documents, etc. I did not enjoy vacuuming the rugs, taking care of the garbage and hauling it out to my car and hauling it away. company to cheap to get a dumpster. the clients are free to use our bathroom which I did not agree with. the program for the receptionist was not adequate enough to be able to take care of my mistakes without bothering the office manager. the co workers were polite and helpful to me. I had notes put on my wall of the desk to help me remember things to do according to the receipts, making appointments, etc. I reorganized the area where we store items so that we had enough room for the clients to get around with falling over the items. I unpacked the new chairs that was bought. I carried heavy boxes up stairs into the office and emptied them and broke the boxes apart to be able to throw them away.
Productive environment, senior associates are very helpful in mentoring to develop skills.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMarch 26, 2015
Day starts with clock in, going over schedule and calling to book appointments. I have learned to listen as a first-year tax professional. Listen and pay attention to details. If mistake has been made admit them and learn from those mistakes. Looking at big picture and assist proactively rather than reactively.
Pros
Friendly work environment.
Cons
Hourly pay is low.

4.3