H&R Block Employee Reviews

I love this job.
Receptionist (CSP) (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 23, 2015
After a few years of not working in the "Clerical" field, they gave me a change. Even if it's only a few months out of the year, they opened doors for me that were close for a long time. I would work there year round if I could.
Productive and friendly work place
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 20, 2015
Some times was very busy. I can learn a lots of knowledge from my job and earned much experiences as every case was difference. The hardest part of the job was when there were lack of original documents, like missing T4's or other document.
Seasonal work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCOctober 6, 2015
answer questions for tax
Preparing taxes for individuals
associate in taxation - during tax season Feb to May
only worked for 4 hrs a day and it all involved preparing taxes for individual walk in customers.
Pros
all aspects of the job
Cons
Seasonal
You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Taber, ABOctober 3, 2015
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
Friendly, fast-paced work environment with excellent coworkers
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEOctober 2, 2015
I worked from mid-February to the end of April preparing tax returns for clients. My coworkers were very supportive and patient with me as I learned how to prepare income taxes.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONSeptember 28, 2015
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Pros
working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons
Owner sold the company
Fun place to work
Tax Associate, Chatham (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONSeptember 24, 2015
The other associates were always helping you with issues. Upgrading in education was covered every year to be successful. Own private cubical for quiet working environment. The customer service atmosphere made daily employment enjoyable. A lot of knowledgeable staff to work with.
Pros
Good Incentives
Cons
Area
Fast paced environment, very large clientel
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Fast paced environment and really enjoyed working with the girls in the office.
I gained experience with dealing with a large clientel and dealing with their needs on a daily basis whether it be on the telephone or in person. I learned to work independently as well as being a team player.
Pros
Meeting a wide assortment of people.
Cons
Didn't make much more than minimum wage.
Good workplace to gain experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2015
I only worked there for three months but for the time being it was a good learning experience and got to work with different cultures and learned a lot.
Productive company but a good working environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NLSeptember 2, 2015
I only worked at H&R Block during the tax season (February to April 30).

A typical day at work involved meeting with clients, conducting an interview for the purpose of preparing their tax return in such a way that they paid the least amount of tax as prescribed the law. In the majority of cases, the end result proved to be of a good nature and it gave you a good feeling knowing that the client is leaving feeling satisfied with the overall outcome.
This was not always the case and you had to deal with the good as well as the bad.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learning from them as well as providing support whenever support was requested.

Each year there was a couple of weeks that we called 'peak' and this resulted in clients have long wait times. This brought on some minimal stress but in the end the client fully understood the situation and left on a good note.

Overall, H&R Block is a good place to work.
Pros
Good People to work with, enjoyed meeting people
Cons
busy and stressful during peak time
WOnderful team environment
SeniorTax Associate / Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Daily tax filing meeting customers helping them with their situations.
ABle to get the hours best suit our personal needs.
Pros
Meeting new people, filing taxes
CSR, Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 17, 2015
This is my favorite job ive ever had. I get to interact with clients daily in person and on the phone. They are flexible and generous with hours. I enjoy managing an office. It allows me to organize and rearrange things while i add new profiles and clients into the system. I also learned so much while working there and i cant wait until next year to learn even more. I worked in three separate offices and juggled the hours between the three. I had great supervisors at all three offices and they made me feel so welcome and comfortable it really made my job that much easier. I was very happy to go to work everyday and always expressed that in the way i ran the office. At times things can be stressful, but i found for the most part the clients just misunderstand and get defensive. My job was to calm them down and explain and keep them as a client. Which i found to be quite easy. All in all, this was a great place to work.
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Extended hours weeks.
Great!
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Great Place to Work.I learned a lot working at HR, really enjoyed being part of a team but also enjoyed that I got to work independently. Very supportive management, great team!
It is a good company
Bookkeeper/Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2015
It is a good company. I love customers, accounting and tax, so I like working there. I learned a lot when at work and the work is never dull because there is always something new that you have opportunties to learn, so you have to do a lot of research and self- teaching. If you do not to do home work everyday, so do not go to work there.,
Positive fast paced work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 29, 2015
Arrive 15 mins early and log into all systems, review schedule, check email for any updates. Welcome clients and assign them to a tax pro that best fits their individual needs
productive was good on a daily basis
Tax Preparation/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2015
management was very helpful. great company to work for. The co-worker are very helpful and co-cooperative. I enjoy working with this , the hours were very flexible.
Pros
good company
Cons
no comment
My day contains
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 25, 2015
My hardest part Managed a high-volume workload within a deadline-driven environment
My typical day is resolved an average of 400 inquiries in any given week and consistently met
performance benchmarks in all areas (speed, accuracy, volume)
My most enjoyable to fulfilled the company’s defined customer experience by maintain a friendly and
customer focus approach
Pros
Flexiibility work around my schedule
Cons
Rate of pay
Meeting people - Customer Services
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 17, 2015
Talking with people, listening to their problems and help them to solve the problems.
Giving tax tips to client to get maximum refund on their income tax. Give them information about the tax deductible things
Pros
Update income tax registration every years to get the best advantage
Cons
Seasonal position only
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond HillJuly 17, 2015
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
Pros
Good relationship with colleagues
Cons
Small payment
flexible schedule
Professional tax consultant (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonJuly 13, 2015
easy going colleages, 4 months training before work, you got your own office. job is pretty easy but fast-paced. overall good.

4.3