H&R Block Employee Reviews

challenging place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
challenging place to work. I love a good challenge. easy going relaxed environment to work. very busy office. good team. learned lots of tax stuff.
Not the best place to work.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 August 2012
Part-time seasonal. Management may get frustrated and criticize tax pro. in the presence of clients, a no no! Salary is very basic.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON28 September 2015
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Pros
working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons
Owner sold the company
Satisfied Client
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB18 January 2013
Clients want someone that can provide them with an accurate return that will give them the maximum benefits of tax reductions. This was our main focus.
Pros
friends and family free returns
Good seasonal job
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 August 2013
Good seasonal job, salary is too low, no benefits. Office is too small, and hours were not distributed properly
Pros
good experience, lots to learn
Cons
temp job
Diversified workplace with a friendly environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2015
I had the opportunity of working with an interesting group of people with different skills sets. Most of the employees were retirees or seasonal workers. Everyone had something different to offer. It can be very busy toward the end of the tax season due to the cut off day. But as a team we were able to pull together and make the whole experience fun and positive.
Pros
The opportunity to do differnet type of tax returns and get to know different people
Cons
Seasonal
making Samples and sales products to customers
Duties - Receptionist, Taking (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh Mall31 May 2014
A typical day at work would be at Christmas time when we prepare different products t customers its alot of fun..I learned taking responsibly at work and be responsible paying for my bills and also responsible of the products we are sealing to people always show a good attribute at work even if you are in bad mood that the managements features and always help your coworkers and make any conflict between them. The most enjoyably time at work when coworkers helps one another and when the day goes very smooth. The hardest parts when conflict is arise between coworkers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great people to work with
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2014
- Office is away from downtown
- Gym on site
- Good benefits
- Parking
- Perks
Pros
Great Social Committee
Cons
Planning and Execution is poor
Wonderful working experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 December 2015
our office leader was so helpful... I learned a lot from her; co-workers were easy to get along with and the clients were varied but so nice ... the job itself is nice but the facilities need some work - the washroom is so far away from the office/unit
Pros
very helpful team leader
Cons
washroom is too far away from the office/unit
Great working enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  calgary8 August 2013
Great company to work for but salary is low and tax season are overwhelming
Productive place during the tax season.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 November 2015
Helping customer preparing the tax return. Trying to minimize their tax payable. Management is always willing to help. Communicate with the customer effectively.
Great Seasonal Employment
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 November 2015
Enjoyed being a part of the team. It was like an extended family. I love working with people and enjoyed the contact. There was a great pleasure in being able to help all types of people and circumstances. As an instructor, it gave a level of accomplishment
and satisfaction that will always be one of my best memories.
CSR, Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 August 2015
This is my favorite job ive ever had. I get to interact with clients daily in person and on the phone. They are flexible and generous with hours. I enjoy managing an office. It allows me to organize and rearrange things while i add new profiles and clients into the system. I also learned so much while working there and i cant wait until next year to learn even more. I worked in three separate offices and juggled the hours between the three. I had great supervisors at all three offices and they made me feel so welcome and comfortable it really made my job that much easier. I was very happy to go to work everyday and always expressed that in the way i ran the office. At times things can be stressful, but i found for the most part the clients just misunderstand and get defensive. My job was to calm them down and explain and keep them as a client. Which i found to be quite easy. All in all, this was a great place to work.
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Extended hours weeks.
Productive company but a good working environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NL2 September 2015
I only worked at H&R Block during the tax season (February to April 30).

A typical day at work involved meeting with clients, conducting an interview for the purpose of preparing their tax return in such a way that they paid the least amount of tax as prescribed the law. In the majority of cases, the end result proved to be of a good nature and it gave you a good feeling knowing that the client is leaving feeling satisfied with the overall outcome.
This was not always the case and you had to deal with the good as well as the bad.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learning from them as well as providing support whenever support was requested.

Each year there was a couple of weeks that we called 'peak' and this resulted in clients have long wait times. This brought on some minimal stress but in the end the client fully understood the situation and left on a good note.

Overall, H&R Block is a good place to work.
Pros
Good People to work with, enjoyed meeting people
Cons
busy and stressful during peak time
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond Hill17 July 2015
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
Pros
Good relationship with colleagues
Cons
Small payment
Low wages, no advancement, incompetent DM, say no more!
part-time associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 June 2012
The wages are low and you take some staff have rather extensive backgrounds and deserve more. Anyone can be taught to input data but to truly understand what it means is something else.

Training is minimal once you are at the office which yes, you gahve your course but to have clients thrown at you tout suite is not good business practice. This gives both the client who is paying TOP dollar for the service and the poor schmuck employee a bad experience right off the get go. Most senior staff have no use for the newbies and even though new employees are guaranteed that the senior staff are the to help out, nobody is watching and it rarely happens. I' ve seen both endas of the spectrum on that one. New staff looking for assistance because they aren't well trained and the senior staff fed up with doing the training for no extra money.

The DM for the area I worked actually threatened to have employees arrested because they were giving out the student discount too often... Even though the clients were indeed students. I actually kept an email that was circulated by him and it was threatening and in very poor taste. Funny thing was, a copy went to his boss and the staff never received an apology so that meant that she agreed with this... get real people! The DM was from a far eastern province and the English used and language spoken was improper. We used to laugh when a new message came through from him, it was full of grammatical errors, slang and the tone was always rude.

Good luck to anyone that made more than $10 bucks an hour! I have financial experience and I could roll out
  more... 3 pr 4 per hour and wasn't paid accordingly. Much less get a thank you or fair compensation!

I wouldn't recommend H&R Block to even the most desperate employee.
Pros
nothing pro
Cons
long hours, poor pay and rude senior staff including the dm and assistant dm.
n/a
Tax Preparer Training (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 January 2016
As a tranee I just attending class. I love to study this Tax Course. I'm very glad that I passed the course with flying colours. I'm planning to continue in this field in the future.
You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB3 October 2015
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
Loved the experiance.
Office Assistant/ part time (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC15 April 2015
It was a great Job. loved working with the clients and would like to do it again.hours were 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to saturday. for three months. As it was my first year i was restricted with the level of paper work. I was more frustrated when my CEO then held me back from getting work done because she was busy. She is not there now.
Great place to work for
District Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 January 2016
My only reason for leaving was due to my husband being relocated for his job. Other wise I would have been there for another 15 years!

4.3