H&R Block
2,687 reviews

H&R Block Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I wanted to learn about the Canadian Tax process and this company is great place build such capacity.
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: free training
Cons: late hours
Good team spirit and great support from team lead and colleagues. The job is such that you can not afford to make mistakes on clients tax filing. Hence the need to pay attention to details.
Fun place to work
Office Leader/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 12, 2014
Seasonal position
8 years doing CSP and I really enjoy doing the job
Can be stressful but that's to be expected with a Tax Office
Personal Tax Associate Assistant
Personal Tax Associate Assistant (Former Employee), torontoFebruary 11, 2014
• Assisted clients with maximizing annual tax returns through efficient communication and in-depth analysis.
• Completed data entry work and updated profiles of customers.
• Built up good relationship with clients.
• Provided administrative support for the branch manager, including typing, photocopying, scanning documents, and calling customers.
• Maintained good audit trail of filing systems
there is much to learn in H & R block
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Surrey BCFebruary 5, 2014
a typical day at work: preparing personal tax returns
learned how to use Profile to prepare tax returns
learned how to deal with different people
co-workers are friendly there
One of the first office experiences
Tax Associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONJanuary 22, 2014
First time in an office, dealing with clients directly and preparing their tax returns right infront of them made me nervous in the beginning. Thanks to the great set of co-workers who made it seem all so simple for me and having shown confidence in me. Their support allowed me to learn efficiently and become the leader in the whole Niagara region for the highest number of sales.
Excellent opportunity for business students
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Thorold, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: educational, opportunities, helping clients
My daily activities involved primarily dealing with clients' tax issues. Clients would come into the office to file for their annual tax returns with their documents and I would assist in ensuring their tax returns are prepared and filed in accordance with the Income Tax Act (ITA).

My work environment was highly educational as I immediately learned the difference between the theory of what I studied at school, and the practical application. In particular, helping clients resolve their tax related issues was highly rewarding.

My coworkers and management were highly professional and greatly helpful in teaching me the practical aspects of the tasks.

The hardest part of the job involved dealing with clients that omitted certain information that would make it difficult in completing their tax returns, such as not informing me of their income earned in the United States or other places of employment that would affect their tax returns.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could see how grateful clients were that their tax returns have been filed and that I played an active role in ensuring their tax returns provided the highest returns while in adherence with the ITA.
Great place to learn personal income tax return
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Longueuil, QCJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: great workplace atmosphere, flexible hours
Cons: seasonal work, ridiculously low pay
You have a chance to learn individual income tax in details, which is very useful for you personally. Colleagues and management are extremely nice and helpful, general atmosphere at work is very positive. Unfortunately, the job is seasonal and the pay is too low.
Great environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 7, 2014
The entire job is very enjoyable, it is what I love to do, I couldn't ask for a better day at work. However the biggest down fall is there is little chance for advancement. The job is seasonal, with all senior employees working year round. I have been there three years and am no where near being close to getting a full time job. There are atleast thirty people that have worked there longer that could gain f-t, before I would should there be a position open up. Which is why I am job-searching right now. I need a full-time or even part time position that is year round.
Rewarding, Interactive, Productive and Detail oriented
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2013
Communicating with clients, completing the accurate return and providing the best tax tips are my daily typical work. I have always learned and upgraded my softskills as well as hard skills. Excellent Management and co-worker to work with. The hardest part of the job is that it is a seasonal job. Seeing my clients walking out with refunds and satisfied to be prepared for the coming taxes are the most enjoyable as well as rewarding part of the job. Seeing the smile on our clients definitely an enjoyable moment.
More than 50 Tax Returns Prepared And Submitted Throuugh E-File
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Calgary ABDecember 8, 2013
My professional knowledge combined with several years experience, with wide range of clients from various areas, would enable me to become familiar with the new environment. My charge at H & R Block included performing Preparing various Tax Return for individual, spouse/family using Profile (T-1/T-2 General/Adjustment) service organizations using Profile; Softwares
enjoyable but no future
Various (Current Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaNovember 21, 2013
Pros: summers off, flexibility
Cons: pay, no off-season work
I have been with the company for quite a few years, and I enjoy what I do. But, there is very little possibility of off-season employment and the pay is not worth the work that needs to be done. I have enjoyed most of the co-workers while there are some that make you wonder how they get hired with their lack of everything.
A great place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), High Prairie, ABNovember 14, 2013
I had a wonderful experience working at H&R Block.
I have taken what I have learned from Lisa, on to other positions, and life.
great training in anticipation of employment
Level 1 Tax Preparer (Current Employee), London, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Hands on tax preparation. Great job if you love #'s. Every day is different and every client is different.
Seasonal job
Professionelle d'Impôt (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 22, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: nothing
Temporary job. Good work/life balance..Work is only available during tax season and must do required courses before/
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 21, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job:
Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadline under pressure. Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to acquire new knowledge and information quickly.
Excellent Tax Professionals
District Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 10, 2013
Building a strong, client-focused team was essential to this seasonal business. Multi-tasking was a must. With 80% of our business falling within three months, there was no time for idleness. All staff had to be hired by December, trained in Policy and Procedure through January, and ready to go for February through April 30.
It is a nice place to work, friendly associates.
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Barrie, ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: personal skills development
I have developed customer service skill while working at there.
My co-workers are friendly, they always be there when you need help.
The hardest part of the job is the challenge of solving any problems that customers give you.
The most enjoyable part of job is the sense of achievement when done the job perfectly.
good workplace
Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 2, 2013
Pros: good co-wokers helping you out
Cons: stress
Learned how to deal with clients, tax preparation skills, good work environment
A great learning environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONSeptember 28, 2013
I really enjoyed and appreciated the opportunity to learn new skills and offer assistance in other areas of the company.
Productive Enviornment
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 26, 2013
Typically this office was a fast-paced environment requiring use of the education at all times.

About H&R Block

H&R Block is one of the world's largest tax services providers, utilizing more than 100,000 highly trained tax professionals – Read more