H&R Block Employee Reviews

impressive work environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2016
People are friendly at H&R Block. There is not much hierarchical system that every employee helps each others. This is my first professional job to expand my knowledge. I interview my client and learn how to organize their folders in a proper form.
Pros
not heavy workload
Cons
fast space environment
Great Learning experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON28 April 2016
CSP position at H&R block requires a great deal of organization skills, the ability to multitask. There is room for advancement however very little support in the office to new staff members
nice
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 June 2016
IT is a good experience if you are planning to tax. ive learned alot and work under pressure. I have enjoyed it alot got a long with most of the people I worked with at H&R block. District Manager is great though I didnt work much with her throughout the season
Wonderful people to work with.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2016
i spend over 12 years with this company and I was honoured to work with many of the fine and dedicated staff throughout the various tax offices.
Productive lots of learning.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta17 June 2016
Working in H&R Block has lots of learning..it helps a lot for future growth. Clients are very nice. Good Atmosphere to work. Good team work.
Pros
free learning
Cons
part time working after season of work
first year
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON30 May 2016
This was my first year and with all the changes the office had it was hard to be taught anything. I had to go by what I learned in school and ask questions when I could. At the end of the year I still managed to get to awards out od the district.
Pros
fast paced, busy
Best Platform for skilled newcomers
Tax Professional (Brampton District Office) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 June 2016
Great hands on experience for oversea skilled accountants, they provide great platform and experience to accounting professionals
Productive & busy
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB9 May 2016
It was a very busy place so I learned to have strong problem solving skills in a fast pace. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers and boss, it is a very respectful company. My days went by fast and I wish I could have worked there longer.
Pros
Busy so day went by fast and nice staff
Cons
How it was so busy sometimes that it would be hard to go on break
funny and friendly enviroment to work at.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2016
Learn a lot about the basic knowledge about office work and income tax prepare. and also develop the customer service skills.
Overall Experience
Seasonal Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON22 May 2012
On a typical day you could service and care for up to 15 to 20 clients and prep their tax and other tax related services for them .
The work environment is great , your co-workers are amazingly helpful and kind . They are ready to help if you encounter a problem.

The hardest part of the job is that you are under enormous amount of pressure as you prep the taxes in front of your client . You need to make sure that you enter the right data and make no mistakes .
Pros
accurate tax returns
Cons
poor salary
I gained valuable tax experience, office and customer service skills
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2016
Typical office day is busy and exciting in the sense that every taxpayer has his own tax circumstances. In order to address those needs, I learned how to cater to their specific needs using the information obtained from each client and my tax knowledge and skills. My co-workers have also helped me through and the manager provided us with the resources that we need to deliver quality service. Although I work on my own cubicle, it was also a collaborative effort to satisfy H&R clientele and that's what makes it enjoyable!
Learned to work independently without any manager in the office
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  270 Kingston Rd East, Ajax ON, L1Z 1G16 April 2016
I have a very good experience at working for H&R Block. With each going day, I am learning new things from my co-worker and from my clients too. I am managing the whole office on my own. This was the hardest part of my job, but it is turning into really an easy work for me.There has been days where clients went upset from the office, but there were other clients too who went happier than before.
Good place to learn new skills and information
RFS Support - IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 May 2016
As RFS Support you are always learning something new everyday. Either tips or tricks on how to use the software more efficiently or increasing your knowledge about taxes. Hardest part of the job is not knowing how to solve the issue but with teamwork this hurdle can overlooked.
Pros
Great hourly rate
Friendly work environment
Income Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 December 2015
1. Assisting clients with their concerns about their personal taxes

2. Working together with colleagues to solve problems

3. Handling phone calls and following procedures to handle difficult clients.

4. Updating files and filing taxes electronically
Pros
Management and staff are very supportive and knowledgeable.
Cons
Seasonal work. There is no advancement in the company.
I had great time working at H&R Block
Tax professional (Former Employee) –  2000 Dundas street18 May 2016
I learned a lot while working at H &R Block. I learned communication skills,co operate with team members,deal with clients etc.The most challenging part was convincing the clients the value of fee & enjoyable part was getting to know the clients .
An alright place to work
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2016
Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to gain employment there.
Unorganized and very unprofessional.
I had a very rude manager who didn't know what she was talking about half the time and who was very unprofessional to clients.
She spoke of co-workers constantly and it was a bit of a turn off. I did not find her informative or educated at all.
Good colleague and training
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB12 June 2016
Very good working environment, friendly and helping colleagues, intensive training and continuous training provided.
Great Co-workers, busy and productive enviroment, fast pace which is perfect for me.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT25 April 2016
Generally I come into work at 7:40 and start mopping, sweeping, making coffee, and once that is done its time for costumers to come in. I usually start by filling files away, checking clients in and taking them back.
Working environment is boring
Tax associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS2 May 2016
Most of your co-workers there are high aged group of people. If you were a young university student or a new graduate, it is a little bit boring to stay in the office for a whole day without filing tax for clients.
Great environment to enhance your communication skills and learn
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON6 June 2012
The job was always different due to personal income tax differences. Always learning new things and requires a significant amount of thinking outside the box to ensure the clients are getting the maximum return possible.
Pros
flexible hours and great team
Cons
seasonal contract and low salary

4.2