H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Seasonal work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCOctober 6, 2015
Pros: all aspects of the job
Cons: Seasonal
answer questions for tax
Preparing taxes for individuals
associate in taxation - during tax season Feb to May
only worked for 4 hrs a day and it all involved preparing taxes for individual walk in customers.
You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Taber, ABOctober 3, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Friendly, fast-paced work environment with excellent coworkers
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEOctober 2, 2015
I worked from mid-February to the end of April preparing tax returns for clients. My coworkers were very supportive and patient with me as I learned how to prepare income taxes.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons: Owner sold the company
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Fast paced environment, very large clientel
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Meeting a wide assortment of people.
Cons: Didn't make much more than minimum wage.
Fast paced environment and really enjoyed working with the girls in the office.
I gained experience with dealing with a large clientel and dealing with their needs on a daily basis whether it be on the telephone or in person. I learned to work independently as well as being a team player.
Good workplace to gain experience
Office Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2015
I only worked there for three months but for the time being it was a good learning experience and got to work with different cultures and learned a lot.
Productive company but a good working environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee), Conception Bay South, NLSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Good People to work with, enjoyed meeting people
Cons: busy and stressful during peak time
I only worked at H&R Block during the tax season (February to April 30).

A typical day at work involved meeting with clients, conducting an interview for the purpose of preparing their tax return in such a way that they paid the least amount of tax as prescribed the law. In the majority of cases, the end result proved to be of a good nature and it gave you a good feeling knowing that the client is leaving feeling satisfied with the overall outcome.
This was not always the case and you had to deal with the good as well as the bad.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learning from them as well as providing support whenever support was requested.

Each year there was a couple of weeks that we called 'peak' and this resulted in clients have long wait times. This brought on some minimal stress but in the end the client fully understood the situation and left on a good note.

Overall, H&R Block is a good place to work.
WOnderful team environment
SeniorTax Associate / Instructor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people, filing taxes
Cons: none
Daily tax filing meeting customers helping them with their situations.
ABle to get the hours best suit our personal needs.
CSR, Office Manager (Current Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Awesome staff
Cons: Extended hours weeks.
This is my favorite job ive ever had. I get to interact with clients daily in person and on the phone. They are flexible and generous with hours. I enjoy managing an office. It allows me to organize and rearrange things while i add new profiles and clients into the system. I also learned so much while working there and i cant wait until next year to learn even more. I worked in three separate offices and juggled the hours between the three. I had great supervisors at all three offices and they made me feel so welcome and comfortable it really made my job that much easier. I was very happy to go to work everyday and always expressed that in the way i ran the office. At times things can be stressful, but i found for the most part the clients just misunderstand and get defensive. My job was to calm them down and explain and keep them as a client. Which i found to be quite easy. All in all, this was a great place to work.
Great!
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Great Place to Work.I learned a lot working at HR, really enjoyed being part of a team but also enjoyed that I got to work independently. Very supportive management, great team!
It is a good company
Bookkeeper/Tax Professional (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2015
It is a good company. I love customers, accounting and tax, so I like working there. I learned a lot when at work and the work is never dull because there is always something new that you have opportunties to learn, so you have to do a lot of research and self- teaching. If you do not to do home work everyday, so do not go to work there.,
Positive fast paced work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 29, 2015
Arrive 15 mins early and log into all systems, review schedule, check email for any updates. Welcome clients and assign them to a tax pro that best fits their individual needs
productive was good on a daily basis
Tax Preparation/Receptionist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2015
Pros: good company
Cons: no comment
management was very helpful. great company to work for. The co-worker are very helpful and co-cooperative. I enjoy working with this , the hours were very flexible.
My day contains
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Flexiibility work around my schedule
Cons: Rate of pay
My hardest part Managed a high-volume workload within a deadline-driven environment
My typical day is resolved an average of 400 inquiries in any given week and consistently met
performance benchmarks in all areas (speed, accuracy, volume)
My most enjoyable to fulfilled the company’s defined customer experience by maintain a friendly and
customer focus approach
Meeting people - Customer Services
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Update income tax registration every years to get the best advantage
Cons: Seasonal position only
Talking with people, listening to their problems and help them to solve the problems.
Giving tax tips to client to get maximum refund on their income tax. Give them information about the tax deductible things
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee), Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond HillJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Good relationship with colleagues
Cons: Small payment
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
flexible schedule
Professional tax consultant (Former Employee), SaskatoonJuly 13, 2015
easy going colleages, 4 months training before work, you got your own office. job is pretty easy but fast-paced. overall good.
Experienced People to work with
Tax Accountant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
not very fast paced, a lot to learn in terns of Canadian Taxation Laws and Regulations. Usually more time during the off season to learn.
Great place to work but some major management issues.
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary,AbJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Great Social Committee, colleagues that you build relationships with last a lifetime
Cons: Stressful environment, lay offs are easy for the mgmt
Can be a fun place to work with the right supervisor/manager.
Competitive environment, can be too competitive
A lot of brown nosing from co-workers
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: long hours
Very busy office with a variety of client with different needs.
I am looking forward to taking level 4 courses and corporate tax this year.
Headquarters