H&R Block Employee Reviews

Flexible hours
SENIOR TAX PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2017
Helpful colleagues, flexible hours. I have worked with H & R Block for over ten years. Every year I have to take an in house tax course that I enjoy very much.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
minimum wage
very long hours
Office Leader (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 July 2017
super busy during the tax season with not much financial benefits, very close to where i resided so it was beneficial for me but not much to do after the tax season was over
Pros
walking distance from my hours
Cons
employees no show on a regular basis and no back up provided
Great Team Work
District Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2017
The team work at H&R Block is amazing. When I started out at H&R Block as a Tax Professional one of the thing that impressed me the most was the team work in my office and other departments in the organization. This is because the organization's common goal is customer satisfaction.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No Benefits for employees labeled as part-time
Not a great tax prep company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2017
Salary is too low. Not efficient in customer service as well as to its employees. No benefits. Schedules are flexible though according to their availabilities.
Pros
Flexible schedules
You don't work there for the pay
Tax Professional - Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2017
If you love taxes and want to help others this is the place to work. Pay is not good. The company can really do something to take care of their works. Instead all HnR is concerned with is their revenue.
H & R Block are ok to work for
Income Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Hanover, ON8 July 2017
When I worked for this company, things were good, except when I took ill with pneumonia at the end of tax season and because of that they chose not to hire me back the next season.
Temporary Position
Customer Service Manager (4 month temp position) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
Working for H & R Block during tax season can be busy at the end of the season, slow at the beginning. Lots of learning done when it comes to the way taxes are handled in locations such as H & R Block.

The hardest part was dealing with the customers who were surprised by the cost of having someone prepare their taxes. This resulted in some creative problem solving to keep both the clients and the tax preparers satisfied.

The tax preparation staff were good to work with and they were very easy to approach.
Pros
Temporary position for 3 months, easy to get to the office
Cons
Work load was variable
seasonal
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 July 2017
Tax season is a stressful time, working at a tax office during that time can be very stressful. It tended to be a lot of trial and error, even with the training at the beginning.
Pros
free tax return
Cons
no clearly defined expectations
Receptionist / Front desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2017
You learn a lot of skills at this job, such as communication with co-workers and your employers along with how to interact with customers in a positive manner.
tax pro
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2017
I came on job and do tax return. Dealing with clients wasn't always fun, sometimes you have very difficult client that destroys your day. You have to know a lot for small money.
Pros
yes free lunch on the end of season
Cons
no, you chou you hours
good
Tax Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2017
Need good communication and teamwork from the upper management. typical was busy and stressful during tax season.
it s a multicultural company and I enjoy the incentive program every season.
Pros
flexeble
Cons
seasonal
Challenging company.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 June 2017
If you love numbers, this is the job for you. You get an office job, in a cozy space for a pretty good salary. They'll even train you and that helps when it comes time to do your own taxes.
It is a good place to work in with the right staff
CSP (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 June 2017
It is a good working environment in the office. I think the company has a great group of workers. Overall, a good group of people to work with and it can be a very fun environment
great place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2017
Great staff and management. Can be a very rewarding job as we have some amazing employees and returning clients. Upper management is always willing to help and guide us should we need it
Cons
not enough pay
A good place to gain tax experience.
Seasonal Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
A good place to learn how to communicate with individual clients and solve their problems specifically. Also a start to transform myself from an university student to a professional employee.
great co-workers , excellent environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 June 2017
it is my pleasure to work in h&r block.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK..
so friendly co-workers. i learned alot from my seniors,such an excellent place to work ,
Client Service Professional/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 June 2017
H & R block is a great place to work to get the experience doing taxes as well as learning how to run an office environment. They are very hands on and give you the training you need to succeed.
Great seasonal work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 June 2017
Very seasonal job but lots of training and work from January - End of April. Con is that it is only seasonal. Little to zero hours out of season. Good Company to work for. Competitive environment. Season end bonus.
Great work environment
CSP, Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON7 June 2017
I enjoyed working at the Montrose location. the management team was very positive and very cooperative when making client appointments. I would work with them again !
training and development of tax associates
District Manager Ontario (Former Employee) –  ontario area5 June 2017
working with rules and regulations of the government around personal tax returns and bookkeeping services

seasonal employment for most employees found it sometimes tough to keep good employees coming back year over year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2