H&R Block
2,209 reviews

H&R Block Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent work/life balance as a student.
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Thorold, ONMay 15, 2014
Pros: good hours, excellent support
Responsible for preparation of income taxation during the tax season. Excellent guidance from management and support from associates. Hardest part of the job was dealing with clients who refused to accept the Income Tax Act and it's implications on their tax return.
productive work place.
Tax Professional/ Office leader (Current Employee), London, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: free tax returns for family and friends
Cons: only seasonal job
fun job,
every return different,
lots of experience.
always in contact with public. enjoy co-workers
Great people to work with
Employee (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 1, 2014
Pros: great social committee
Cons: planning and execution is poor
- Office is away from downtown
- Gym on site
- Good benefits
- Parking
- Perks
Customer Service Representative
Office Leader/Income tax Preparer (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCApril 28, 2014
Pros: excellent inter office support.
Cons: job is only seasonal or parttime
Interviewing customers to prepare their income tax returns. Assisting clients with Canada Revenue Agency. Answering phones and tax questions, receiving payment for services. Electronically filing returns. Paper filing past year returns. Helping to keep the office running smoothly so we can assist clients in a timely fashion.
This is a good job for those who do not need to work year round.
Income Tax Professional (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 26, 2014
Pros: work around your hours of availability, and there are bonuses for goals met.
Cons: hourly wages do not increase appropriately and bonuses not guaranteed.
My day typically involves client service/satisfaction, based on their tax situation. It is my responsibility to make sure they get the maximum refund/lowest tax liability. I work on a computerized system and have to be competent of 3 different applications. There are all levels of experienced professionals in my office, but as the most senior person – more... here, most of them look to me for guidance and procedures. Unfortunately there is usually a lot of staff turnover and you are never sure who you will be working with/for in the next season. The hardest part of the job is knowing your tax knowledge and having to explain to young clients that they have a balance owing to the CRA. The best part of the job is getting to meet so many different people on a daily basis and when you can find them more of a tax refund than they thought they would get. – less
Franchisee H&R Block
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Mount Forest, ONApril 22, 2014
very flexible with hours, breaks, and liberal with the coffee!
Customers intraction and satisfaction
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 16, 2014
Pros: everytime new to learn
Cons: seasonal only
Good team spirit and great support from team lead and colleagues. The job is such that you can not afford to make mistakes on clients tax filing. Hence the need to pay attention to details.
Good co-workers
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee), Stettler, ABApril 11, 2014
Pros: good people to work with.
I am a people person so this is why I enjoy my job. Tax season is here and its busy but that's what I like. The hardest part about my job would be talking to unsatisfied customers. But I can deal and take care of them in the most professional way possible.
Awesome place to work.
Tax Preparer (Current Employee), St. Paul, ABApril 8, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
The girls are awesome to work with, clients are easy to get along with and you learn something new everyday about different peoples financial situations.
Prodcutive and fun workplace
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 5, 2014
H&R Block is an excellent seasonal company to work with if you have in interest in the financial field. A typical day would include opening and closing a shift (CIS system and deposits), provide great customer service on a continuous basis and overall provide administrative duties to the general manager and tax associates. Management was friendly and – more... easy to get a long with. The most enjoyable part of the job was that is was constantly busy under pressure environment, trying to multi-task and provide excellent customer service to everyone while completely admin duties. – less
Fun
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee), Niagara, ONMarch 28, 2014
Pros: the staff
Cons: seasonal/ wage
It was an absolutely great place to work. In all the locations that I worked, the staff and management were great. It was always a fun environment. We took our jobs seriously but managed to have fun and create a stress free enjoyable work environment. I have learned a lot of useful skills with scheduling and time management.

The most enjoyable part – more... of the day was knowing that I was valued but the staff, office managers and clients – less
Rewarding and fulfilling
Tax Specialist (Current Employee), Ottawa, ON and Kingston, ONMarch 19, 2014
Pros: instant gratification
Cons: seasonal
Helping clients in many ways.
Audit assistance.
Learned how to access various situations quickly.
My co-workers are hard working, and dedicated.
The hardest part of my job has always been informing clients of bad news. However, knowing how to break the news certainly helped.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping my clients, regardless of the – more... type of help required. – less
Very Enjoyable
TAX PREPARER (Current Employee), Leamington, ONMarch 17, 2014
This position is a very enjoyable position. They treat their employees very well. it is to bad it is only a seasonal position.
A lot of fun!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), North Bay, ONMarch 9, 2014
Pros: personalized schedule
Cons: taking an unpaid course
At the beginning it was rough with certain management issues but afterwards was smooth sailing. The tasks are simple. Just answer the phones, book appointments, process transactions, prepare files for tax professionals, and open or close office as scheduled. The management team and staff are all excellent. The hardest part of the job is dealing with – more... difficult customers wanting a return done for free. The best part is the support of the rest of the office. – less
Good advantages on tax filing services, supportive co-workers
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2014
Pros: standardise and consistent services
Cons: seasonal job
At first, the job is not so easy with a new immigrant staff. Every day, I can learn many things from my clients' case study. I am working and learning. My co-workers are very nice and supportive. They are supporting me in any new situation and give me valuable advice and instruction. Day by day, I am more and more confident in my job and I can consult – more... my clients in many ways to have most benefit in tax return filling. I love to do tax filling for the whole family, (husband, wife, kids) and it is very interesting to find out the most optimal situation for their family as a whole to claim proper deductible expenses or tax benefit amounts. I can sit down with them to see the outcomes for each option we make and find the best one. I found my passion on doing that and my clients will be very happy and interesting as well.
Every new complicated case is a new challenge to me and I am willing to do and to learn more and more. In every task I do, I want to be the best. – less
A great intro to the world of taxes.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 26, 2014
A place to learn about taxes, cash backs, and regulations. Great people.
I wanted to learn about the Canadian Tax process and this company is great place build such capacity.
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: free training
Cons: late hours
Fun place to work
Office Leader/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 12, 2014
Seasonal position
8 years doing CSP and I really enjoy doing the job
Can be stressful but that's to be expected with a Tax Office
Personal Tax Associate Assistant
Personal Tax Associate Assistant (Former Employee), torontoFebruary 11, 2014
• Assisted clients with maximizing annual tax returns through efficient communication and in-depth analysis.
• Completed data entry work and updated profiles of customers.
• Built up good relationship with clients.
• Provided administrative support for the branch manager, including typing, photocopying, scanning documents, and calling customers.
• Maintained – more... good audit trail of filing systems – less
there is much to learn in H & R block
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Surrey BCFebruary 5, 2014
a typical day at work: preparing personal tax returns
learned how to use Profile to prepare tax returns
learned how to deal with different people
co-workers are friendly there

About H&R Block

H&R Block is one of the world's largest tax services providers, utilizing more than 100,000 highly trained tax professionals – Read more