H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Taber, ABOctober 3, 2015
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
Great place to learn new things.
Financial Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ONApril 20, 2016
Management was willing to work with me as this was a new career change. Dealt with alot of different personalities daily. Co- workers very patient and willing to help always.
Pros
New experience
Cons
seasonal
Speed , Accuracy And Consistent quality productivity.
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Moncton Area, NBMay 10, 2016
Preparing Tax Return
Tax Filing - Individual , Business ,Rental and Employment Expenses.
Excellent Management
Co-workers good team players
Accuracy, Time Deadline , Customer Service
Pros
Bonuses
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONSeptember 28, 2015
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Pros
working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons
Owner sold the company
Working environment is boring
Tax associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 2, 2016
Most of your co-workers there are high aged group of people. If you were a young university student or a new graduate, it is a little bit boring to stay in the office for a whole day without filing tax for clients.
Great Learning experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ONApril 28, 2016
CSP position at H&R block requires a great deal of organization skills, the ability to multitask. There is room for advancement however very little support in the office to new staff members
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond HillJuly 17, 2015
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
Pros
Good relationship with colleagues
Cons
Small payment
Diversified workplace with a friendly environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 6, 2015
I had the opportunity of working with an interesting group of people with different skills sets. Most of the employees were retirees or seasonal workers. Everyone had something different to offer. It can be very busy toward the end of the tax season due to the cut off day. But as a team we were able to pull together and make the whole experience fun and positive.
Pros
The opportunity to do differnet type of tax returns and get to know different people
Cons
Seasonal
Wonderful working experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
our office leader was so helpful... I learned a lot from her; co-workers were easy to get along with and the clients were varied but so nice ... the job itself is nice but the facilities need some work - the washroom is so far away from the office/unit
Pros
very helpful team leader
Cons
washroom is too far away from the office/unit
Fun place to work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 3, 2016
I ended up managing the kiosk that I am working at this year.
I have a great team and most importantly, I have support and access to any assistance I require.
Good
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 9, 2016
Good working environment, more learning while doing tax return. My co workers and supervisor are very helpful and they help me while i am not understanding any thing.
Great Seasonal Employment
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 25, 2015
Enjoyed being a part of the team. It was like an extended family. I love working with people and enjoyed the contact. There was a great pleasure in being able to help all types of people and circumstances. As an instructor, it gave a level of accomplishment
and satisfaction that will always be one of my best memories.
Great.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 1, 2016
This company was great to work with, I really enjoyed being a part of the team. Would definitely consider going back. I learned a lot from this wonderful environment.
challenging place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
challenging place to work. I love a good challenge. easy going relaxed environment to work. very busy office. good team. learned lots of tax stuff.
Not friendly towards the Tax Associates
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Working towards preparing taxes was great and very interesting to serve clients who have great regards for all tax associates.
Friendly coworkers and great management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, OntarioFebruary 1, 2015
I learned how to work the scheduling system, how to handle cash and how to do tax returns as well as answering the phones. I had wonderful coworkers who easily welcomed me into the office and the management was very understanding and helpful when it came to teaching me all my job tasks. The hardest part of the job was dealing with clients who would come in angry about something our office had no power over and I had no way to help them resolve the issue. The most enjoyable part of my job was when we had slower days and I was able to take my time organizing the office and filing paperwork.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
long hours during peak season
Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONMay 16, 2016
Lots of work to keep you busy.
steady flow of clients, great coworkers, learning each day, short employment, as this is seasonal
Good workplace to gain experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2015
I only worked there for three months but for the time being it was a good learning experience and got to work with different cultures and learned a lot.
Loved the experiance.
Office Assistant/ part time (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCApril 15, 2015
It was a great Job. loved working with the clients and would like to do it again.hours were 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to saturday. for three months. As it was my first year i was restricted with the level of paper work. I was more frustrated when my CEO then held me back from getting work done because she was busy. She is not there now.
Cons
Productive company but a good working environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NLSeptember 2, 2015
I only worked at H&R Block during the tax season (February to April 30).

A typical day at work involved meeting with clients, conducting an interview for the purpose of preparing their tax return in such a way that they paid the least amount of tax as prescribed the law. In the majority of cases, the end result proved to be of a good nature and it gave you a good feeling knowing that the client is leaving feeling satisfied with the overall outcome.
This was not always the case and you had to deal with the good as well as the bad.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learning from them as well as providing support whenever support was requested.

Each year there was a couple of weeks that we called 'peak' and this resulted in clients have long wait times. This brought on some minimal stress but in the end the client fully understood the situation and left on a good note.

Overall, H&R Block is a good place to work.
Pros
Good People to work with, enjoyed meeting people
Cons
busy and stressful during peak time

4.3