H&R Block Employee Reviews

Fun work place in most of the offices.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB14 September 2016
Great people and flexible work schedule. Awesome managers who support you in the position as well as great training to maintain and develop knowledge and position. l
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
some offices not a great atmosphere
Easy going
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 February 2017
Cleaning your office on a daily bases
Doing income taxes for clients throughout the season
Following up on clients
Customer service

Easy going job. Very helpful people
Hectic and fun work place but lacks job security
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
Worked during tax season so it was very hectic. But was pleased with e training i received. The work culture is also very friendly.
Fun workplace
Receptionist for tax season only (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2016
Jobs assigned to receptionists were appropriate and professional.
Picking up phone calls and booking appointments, filing.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
short lunches, no breaks
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 June 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NL13 June 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
Nice place to work at
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
Greet customer, escort them into the office. Get some information from the customer. Proceed to do their taxes. I have learned different areas of taxes. I have advanced every year with their schooling. My co-workers are a great bunch of people. The hardest part of my job was to tell a client that they had to pay taxes at the end of the year. The greatest part of my job was that I got to meet and work with lot of interesting people through the years.
Mediocre place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
Don't need to be too smart to work at H&R Block. They hire anyone.
Not much else to say about this company. Why do I need to say more when there isn't much else to say.
Pros
6 month off
Cons
Staff
easy job and mostly helping clients for their best tax returns
Tax Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 June 2016
1. typical day at the job was calling clients and booking appointments.
2. i have learned tax laws and customer service skills.
3. hardest part of the job was to problem solving such as working around the file to get the maximum refund.
4. the enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of the customers.
Productive and Fun Workplace
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2016
It was both of a great learning and working experience at H&R Block, which I stayed from January 2016 to May 2nd 2016(the end of the tax season). Colleagues are willing to help each other and the most fun part was to see people from all walks of life. The managers were considerate and hard-working.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
I wish I could have been given more working hours.
Productive and fun with client to discuss different topics
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 May 2016
A typical day at work is every client need to do tax return.
I have learned how to get missing information from Canada Revenue Agency.
Management is lawful and professional.
Co-workers are helpful,
Hardest part of the job is when missing information or slips.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when client get more and accurate tax return.
Enjoy serve people
Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 May 2016
- Help client understand more what benefit they can qualify
- Make plan for them to work on deduct their tax in the future so they won't ow tax
- Good chance to meet nice people and make friend
- My co-workers is great to help me out what first year I have problem with computer
- sometimes is stress out with this job but at the end everything will go smoothly deadline
- Improve my confident to communication with different type of people
- My boss trained me well to give me lesson of tax in higher level as specially in Business Expense, Employment Expense, Senior Health expense, etc
Pros
Enjoy working, nothing complaint
Cons
N/A
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 May 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients
Cons
It is fun to work there.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 June 2016
1.On the busy day I will be preparing income tax for clients and on the slow day I will mark cold calls to clients and set up appointments.
2. I learn how to prepare different tax return.
3. The hardest part is dealing with unfriendly clients.
Pros
Learn more information about income tax.
Cons
Only seasonal job.
Costumer Service representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 June 2016
Took phone calls and set up appointment for clients to see a tax expert.
Took cash,credit card or Debit transactions and balanced the daily cash flow at the end of the shift.
Also took walk in appointments when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Seasonal employment
The experience i have learned
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2016
Working at H&R Block was a great experience. I learned alot of new thinks like printing Western Union checks for clients that were in-tiled to a refund, doing PWR, AFR, booking appointments,answer calls,end of day cash out, contacting clients to pay balances outstanding, and last but not least i love meeting new people and just talking to pass time. Overall the company was a great work place, co-workers were friendly and so was management.
Pros
Your personal taxes are done for free
Cons
Sometimes it was to quite
impressive work environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2016
People are friendly at H&R Block. There is not much hierarchical system that every employee helps each others. This is my first professional job to expand my knowledge. I interview my client and learn how to organize their folders in a proper form.
Pros
not heavy workload
Cons
fast space environment
Great place to work, friendly co-workers, exceptional training provided and good mentors all around.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 April 2016
• Responsible for conducting client interviews and subsequently preparing accurate tax returns, such a way that the client pays the least possible amount of tax as prescribed by law.
• Implementing customer service and public relations programs, office procedures and reporting systems.
• Clarifying tax related client queries and reviewing the status of COD, Hold & Drop-off returns on an ongoing basis and following up with clients as necessary.

4.2