H&R Block Employee Reviews

Great co - workers, poor upper management
First Year Tax Pro (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 May 2017
I was a first year tax preparer and although the job can be fast paced and somewhat challenging, I enjoyed the work and found the office staff helpful and great to work with! The payment software could be troublesome at times and as a tax pro I wish I had better training with that software.
The pay was just above minimum... and I found it hard to justify the extra workload (second job) for the wage.
The district management was poor. Little to no knowledge of tax prep or CRA. Even H&R Block policies were not known (i.e. the max for a cash back).
I was not able to complete the last week of the tax season due to my limited availability. I originally was told that I was to work what I was available for and I made sure to let them know in advance my available hours. When I received my Record of Employment it stated that I quit. When I inquired why my ROE stated I quit, the district manager said;
"We need to put a reason down and you quit so that was the reason."
No sympathy or further explanation. They were not even able to show me the employment contract.
For seasonal work... definitely not worth the months of training.
Pros
Great office staff and senior tax pros
Cons
Poor upper management and pay
Called Clients and booked their appointments
Client Connect Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 April 2017
Client connect decided which days it did and did not want to work. When it worked I was happy and often enjoyed my work. However when it did not work I often became frustrated and very sleepy.
Pros
My office staff were extremely nice.
Cons
Client connect often didn't work.
Great Place to work , but Shady District Managers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2017
Basic Clerical Office work, not very challenging if you have common sense. unreasonable pricing for tax returns ( this is coming from an employee) some of management know nothing about taxes and CRA. great work life balance as the schedules are to your own choosing. Minimum wage . no real advancement as you'd have to pay from your own pocket for training.
Pros
Easy work, Clerical Experience
Cons
Overpriced services which leads to frustrated customers
environnement agreable
Agente de L'impôt (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON19 April 2017
J'arrive toujours 15 a 20 min. d'avance.
J'ouvre mon poste de travaille.
Je classe les dossiers.
Accueille les clients, j'ouvre leurs dossiers.
Je prends les papiers du clients en prenant biens soins d'avoir toutes informations requises.
Réponds au téléphone
ive worked for 2 seasons now at H & R Block, and i love it!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2017
I love my staff, I love working here I hope to come back again next year and perhaps do taxes this time :) im thinking about taking the course and becoming a tax pro professional!
Great people and fast pasted.
Tax Pro Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2017
Loved the other consultants and working here was the best. clients were friendly, bosses were awesome. training was quick and easy. would love to work here again.
Excellent
Meticulous data entry (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC17 April 2017
I have no complaints about H&R Block they are an amazing company to work for seasonally. The management remembers you, and takes into consideration of your needs.
H&R block
Receptionist/ Assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2017
This company can be a great place to work however depending on the team you are placed with you could end up in a petty situation. And it's only a temporary job.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
It's only seasonal
productive. learned DT- MAX software and how to handle problems ocurred while submitting income tax return
Tax Professional - Part time (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2017
during my entire work term have learned lots of things regarding income tax return, how to get authorization consent from the revenue Canada, how to deal with problems any occurring, interview different clients to know their needs.
Pros
commissions
Cons
salary - close to minimum wages
Good place to learn tax
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 April 2017
H&R Block is a good place to learn preparing canadian tax. It was first canadian job in which I held office.

The most enjoyable part was that we get to meet new clients from different walks of life.

Environment was very friendly and helpful.
Good Pay
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bayshore, ON10 April 2017
The Company Was friendly. Management is very involved. Add campaign needs work. Benefits are good free tax returns for your family. Raises are 25 cents a year.
Crazy Place to work
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 April 2017
The direct mangers are amazing, district management not good at all. Training is provided but not enough before starting job. Very poor pay, no job security, barely time to take a break. Absolutely no home/work balance.
Pros
It is a temp job if that is what someone wants
Cons
No breaks, poor upper management skills, horrible pay, no benefits.
Tax prepare
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 April 2017
-Preparing customers personal tax return T1 and relative schedule for provide years.
- Providing tax tips or suggests to clients
- answer office phone calls
-booking and confirming apointment
Pros
Growing skills and knowledge about personal and business tax
Cons
low salary and lots of pressures
Taxing and arduous
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC7 April 2017
The job was taxing. Everyday was extremely redundant. It paid minimum wage and they expected you to work late quite often but always made sure you never worked over 40 hours a week.
It's where I got my start in Management
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 April 2017
This is where I got my start in Management. I have nothing but respect for this company as they pulled me away from the great white north back to Newfoundland with open arms.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Seasonal work
Unfair wages
Income Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 March 2017
Not fairly compensated for the work and money that we bring into the corporation. Paid a minimum wage salary for something that you bring in over $100 per return to the company.
Cons
pay
friendly environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 March 2017
Maintained client schedules and tax returns, complete accurate data entry and processed payments efficiently also greeted Clients and provided information.
great place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray , ab28 March 2017
awesome staff this review , that is all I have to say about working at h and r block in fort mcmurray ab. thank you but there is nothing else I can say .
Pros
great freinds
Good Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2017
As a CSR in H&R block, I learnt to deal with different types of people and helping them with tasks. It was a busy place during the tax season and there were deadlines.
Crazy work atmosphere
Client service professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB20 March 2017
When I started I had very little training. I was quick to learn the new tasks without little assistance. Work hours were amazing at my location. Lack of communication and under staffed made for some upset customers. Got great work experience dealing with dissatisfied customers.
Pros
Hours were what I wanted. Built my own schedule
Cons
Breaks didnt happen often because we were so busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2