H&R Block

3.9K reviews

H&R Block Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A job can learn many skills
Tax Associate (Current Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 4, 2013
Pros: learn about taxation
Cons: place to work is assigned and it is far.
-File tax return for customers, answer any questions related to their tax return and suggest eligible refundable/non-refundable tax credit.
-I learned customer service skills, taxation knowledge and co-operation skill working in a team.
-The co-workers are very nice and helpful. We all support each other and work as a team to reach some goals which are set by management. For example: promoting master card sales, service grading rate.
-The hardest part is to meet the need of the customers. Some customers assume they could have refund each year, but that may not be true.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is to enjoy learning through acquiring experience.
Friendly coworkers and great management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Milton, OntarioFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: friendly co workers
Cons: long hours during peak season
I learned how to work the scheduling system, how to handle cash and how to do tax returns as well as answering the phones. I had wonderful coworkers who easily welcomed me into the office and the management was very understanding and helpful when it came to teaching me all my job tasks. The hardest part of the job was dealing with clients who would come in angry about something our office had no power over and I had no way to help them resolve the issue. The most enjoyable part of my job was when we had slower days and I was able to take my time organizing the office and filing paperwork.
Busy workplace and friendly people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2012
Pros: get taxes done for free
Cons: i was in school didn't get much hours
A typical day at work would be busy, it was tax season and I was only there for a couple of months and I learned alot. I learned how to file, greet customers, fax and organize. Oranization was a big key in this company, taxes and file folders can not be lost. The hardest part of my job was the stress level of it. Customers would be stressed because of tax season and some people wouldn't have any patients, so I'm going to be completely honest it was a hard time handeling that preasure, but besides that it was an alright job. The co-workers there were fun to be around and very friendly.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Windsor, ONApril 11, 2013
Pros: great environment
Cons: too short, only seasonal & changes every year
I ALWAYS FELT COMFORTABLE ASKING FOR HELP AND VOICING WHAT I HAVE LEARNED TO SOMEONE ELSE NEEDING INFO. THERE ARE GLITCHES IN THE COMPUTER PROGRAM THAT SOMETIMES PRESENTED A CHALLENGE, BUT SOMEONE WAS ALWAYS WILLING TO PROVIDE THEIR EXPERTISE. I LEARNED THAT ALTHOUGH CUSTOMERS CAN SOMETIMES HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE (THEY OWE $$$)--THERE IS ALWAYS A TAX TIP THAT WE AS TAX PROS CAN PROVIDE TO END THEIR EXPERIENCE ON A POSITIVE NOTE AND THAT THE TRAINING I WAS GIVEN PREPARED ME QUITE WELL TO DO AN EXCEPTIONAL JOB AND THAT DOING TAXES IN THE RIGHT ENVIRONMENT CAN BE FUN!! I REALLY ENJOYED MY LEADER AND MY CO-WORKERS.
Busy but good job.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: the hours were good; i was able to walk back and forth from work.
Cons: the pay wasn't good enough and there could have been better training..
This was an exceedingly busy job as it was tax season. I met people of all cultures and loved being on the desk helping them out. I learned to manage their stress with regards to long waiting periods by adopting a method of calling them back instead of waiting in the office. This job got me used to a busy office environment. My co-workers were hard working people and some of them I'll never forget because of how wonderful they were. The Office manager was somewhat difficult to deal with but you learned how to operate with her.
Great for short term and learning about personal taxes
Tax Professional level 3 (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 4, 2015
Pros: Free tax returns for friends and family
Cons: Fluctuating client levels mess with metricks
I loved working for H&R Block. It was a wonderful experience, and I do believe it helped me succeed in education. Lots of people from different walks of life, always meeting different clients with different needs, creates a great learning atmosphere and most tax professionals with more experience are very helpful. Only employed for 4 months, as tax season is only 10 weeks and the pre-season training is minimal. I would go back, but unfortunately was time to move on and explore more career focused opportunities.
making Samples and sales products to customers
Duties - Receptionist, Taking (Former Employee), Tecumseh MallMay 31, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work would be at Christmas time when we prepare different products t customers its alot of fun..I learned taking responsibly at work and be responsible paying for my bills and also responsible of the products we are sealing to people always show a good attribute at work even if you are in bad mood that the managements features and always help your coworkers and make any conflict between them. The most enjoyably time at work when coworkers helps one another and when the day goes very smooth. The hardest parts when conflict is arise between coworkers.
Friendly coworkers with new experiences and good management
Tax Professional (Former Employee), BramptonMay 27, 2014
Pros: enjoyable job, new experiences
Cons: short hours, challenging job
Work started at around 10 a.m. I had to file personal and family tax returns to the CRA, prepare instant refunds, issue debit-cards and bank drafts. I had to provide customer service giving necessary information and help guide clients make the correct financial decisions. I had to also collect payments and manage files. The coworkers were cooperative. The management was helpful. The hardest part was dealing with client brought fake documents. But the most enjoyable part was meeting new clients and experiencing new problems.
Interesting working environment with opportunity to meet new people
Tax Preparer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 26, 2015
 Carefully conduct interviews for the purpose of preparing complete, accurate tax returns
 Accurately provide tax information and offers appropriate tax-saving suggestions
 Practice excellent client service techniques to maximize number of clients
 Resourcefully assist other associates in the office in a team environment for the purpose of enhancing client experience
 Professionally demonstrate competency in the area of income tax knowledge and utilize H&R Block’s continuing professional education programs to attain, maintain, and strengthen tax expertise
I enjoy the work environment.
Tax Associate (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 26, 2014
Pros: management is understanding to family needs so they are very flexible.
Cons: the pay is not in line with the high level of knowledge required for the job.
A typical day at work involves dealing with clients to complete their tax returns and answer their questions. The hardest part of the job is dealing with client complaints because it is not always pleasant but fortunately it does not happen that often. The most enjoyable part is continuously learning new concepts. Tax laws are always changing and there are many new aspects to learn. We have a great training department on staff and everyone is pleasant to deal with.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Kirkland QuebecJune 7, 2012
Pros: team spirit at our branch
Cons: correcting other peoples mistakes and being yelled at by customer
In tax season very busy, but our office has a great team and we all help each other work asxa team, also have time to laugh at ourselves and some strange people we meet.. Have learned many new computer skills, find the work very interesting.
Have an excellent Dist Manager and District Mgr.

The most difficult part of the work is trying to always be diplomatic with certain types of people.

Having an haf an hour for lunch is very difficult , unless you bring your own, by the time you go and get it, you have to rush and that is not too healthy.
This job was enjoyable as I had good people to work with.
Client Service Representative/Tax Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: clients leaving happy with their refund in hand.
Cons: clients leaving unhappy due to not getting the refund they were expecting.
Clients would come into the store to have their tax questions answered and have a tax associate complete their tax forms. The management and my co-workers were great people to work with and were always helpful. The hardest part of the job was to deal with clients who were not happy about the money they had to pay to the government. The most enjoyable part of the job was to have clients leave happy with their financial return.
Good time management (Current Employee), Brantford, ONJuly 20, 2013
Pros: bonuses
Cons: wish it was long as i enjoy working in a office setting
I enjoy working at H&R Block because I like to help people with doing their taxes and understanding them. There is always something to learn everyday as taxes policies can change and no 2 tax preperations are the same. Management are supportive and assist in answering any question that may come up. Co-workkers arre supportive and eveyone likes to help each other. The hardest part of the job is sometimes it can be very quiet when there is no clients in the office.
Prodcutive and fun workplace
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 5, 2014
H&R Block is an excellent seasonal company to work with if you have in interest in the financial field. A typical day would include opening and closing a shift (CIS system and deposits), provide great customer service on a continuous basis and overall provide administrative duties to the general manager and tax associates. Management was friendly and easy to get a long with. The most enjoyable part of the job was that is was constantly busy under pressure environment, trying to multi-task and provide excellent customer service to everyone while completely admin duties.
I enjoy working at the company
Tax Professional (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 18, 2013
Pros: good place to work and learn
Cons: temporary work (tax season only)
*It provides very professional environment. A great place to work and learn
*I developed strong tax knowledge , Interpersonal & Analytical skills
*Management is very helpful and organized
*Co-workers are very efficient, knowledgeable and cooperative
*Because Tax laws are enormous and constantly changing, we have to attend the tax school for 3 months each year. Still sometimes our abilities are not enough at different complex level of returns
*Helping people by providing tax advice and tax tips
Productive fast paste work
Office Administrator / Receptionist (Current Employee), Transcona, MBNovember 5, 2015
Pros: lots to learn
Cons: seasonal
this job during tax season is fast paste. There are a vast range of clients and demands. In most part it is gratifying for me, as I learnt a lot from watching all the tax pros at work. Working with the all the financial aspects of taxes has been helpful in my learning the other side of doing taxes. One of the hardest part of the job is dealing with really irrate people during the tax season, but reassuring them has been challenging and gratifying at the same time. I get along with all office staff and management, we are a great team.
Excellent for Seasonal Employment
Customer Service Leader Seasonal (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: variable hours to adjust to your personal life
Cons: don't get paid for breaks or lunch
A typical day at work would be opening the office/closing, managing customer flow, addressing client concerns, answering phones, filing, writing and investigation of client concerns with Canada Revenue Agency and other departments. Day to day bookkeeping, processing payments and auditing books. Scheduling and managing employee work hours and appointments. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the client and helping them out.
Great Atmosphere, Work around other jobs, and Great Management Team
Tax Professional I (Former Employee), Kingston, ONDecember 5, 2012
Pros: great staff, work around scheduale
Cons: seasonal employment until minimum 3 yrs.
My first year was great with applying my Tax knowledge. I show up to work and have a full day booked then finish my day in another office to get the hours I desired. The Co-workers were a great help always ready to answer questions and help me solve problems beyond my level. The hardest part of the job was remember all the tax information and the most enjoyable part of the job was the closeness and familiarity of the staff with each other.
Rewarding, Interactive, Productive and Detail oriented
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2013
Communicating with clients, completing the accurate return and providing the best tax tips are my daily typical work. I have always learned and upgraded my softskills as well as hard skills. Excellent Management and co-worker to work with. The hardest part of the job is that it is a seasonal job. Seeing my clients walking out with refunds and satisfied to be prepared for the coming taxes are the most enjoyable as well as rewarding part of the job. Seeing the smile on our clients definitely an enjoyable moment.
Great environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 7, 2014
The entire job is very enjoyable, it is what I love to do, I couldn't ask for a better day at work. However the biggest down fall is there is little chance for advancement. The job is seasonal, with all senior employees working year round. I have been there three years and am no where near being close to getting a full time job. There are atleast thirty people that have worked there longer that could gain f-t, before I would should there be a position open up. Which is why I am job-searching right now. I need a full-time or even part time position that is year round.
Headquarters