H&R Block Employee Reviews

Receptionist / Front desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2017
You learn a lot of skills at this job, such as communication with co-workers and your employers along with how to interact with customers in a positive manner.
tax pro
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2017
I came on job and do tax return. Dealing with clients wasn't always fun, sometimes you have very difficult client that destroys your day. You have to know a lot for small money.
Pros
yes free lunch on the end of season
Cons
no, you chou you hours
good
Tax Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2017
Need good communication and teamwork from the upper management. typical was busy and stressful during tax season.
it s a multicultural company and I enjoy the incentive program every season.
Pros
flexeble
Cons
seasonal
Challenging company.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 June 2017
If you love numbers, this is the job for you. You get an office job, in a cozy space for a pretty good salary. They'll even train you and that helps when it comes time to do your own taxes.
It is a good place to work in with the right staff
CSP (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 June 2017
It is a good working environment in the office. I think the company has a great group of workers. Overall, a good group of people to work with and it can be a very fun environment
great place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2017
Great staff and management. Can be a very rewarding job as we have some amazing employees and returning clients. Upper management is always willing to help and guide us should we need it
Cons
not enough pay
A good place to gain tax experience.
Seasonal Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
A good place to learn how to communicate with individual clients and solve their problems specifically. Also a start to transform myself from an university student to a professional employee.
great co-workers , excellent environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 June 2017
it is my pleasure to work in h&r block.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK..
so friendly co-workers. i learned alot from my seniors,such an excellent place to work ,
Client Service Professional/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 June 2017
H & R block is a great place to work to get the experience doing taxes as well as learning how to run an office environment. They are very hands on and give you the training you need to succeed.
Great seasonal work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 June 2017
Very seasonal job but lots of training and work from January - End of April. Con is that it is only seasonal. Little to zero hours out of season. Good Company to work for. Competitive environment. Season end bonus.
Great work environment
CSP, Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON7 June 2017
I enjoyed working at the Montrose location. the management team was very positive and very cooperative when making client appointments. I would work with them again !
training and development of tax associates
District Manager Ontario (Former Employee) –  ontario area5 June 2017
working with rules and regulations of the government around personal tax returns and bookkeeping services

seasonal employment for most employees found it sometimes tough to keep good employees coming back year over year
Great learning experience but Minimal Wage
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2017
The workplace is great and you learn a lot as a tax professional, especially if you are lucky to be placed in a great team of helpful senior employees. The biggest drawback is low pay. Hourly wages are minimal and the bonus is fairly low, especially in comparison to the fee each client is charged for a tax return (typically averaging at $120)
Productive environment
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TN31 May 2017
My job at H&R Block was very enlightening. The staff were all incredibly kind and I loved working with them. Each one of them treated me like a true friend and offered me many connections to professional friends.
Great team but very low salary
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Canada30 May 2017
Great team but very low salary might be good for a student job however. System is not stable sometime but it's ok. They really should increase the salaries.
Served it's purpose
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB30 May 2017
I needed as many hours as possible in a short period of time. Started the day running and not stopping. Very intense. One perk was getting my taxes prepared at no cost. Tax time is not a happy time so I dealt with many unhappy people. Learned that once you take the mystery out of the process, it's easier to deal with.
Pros
Free tax preparation and advice
Great Place
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 May 2017
I loved working at H&R Block and putting my expertise at work to help people get as much of a return when filing their taxes as possible or paying as little as possible if they owed on their tax return. I was rather sad that the contract was ending as we were getting close to the deadline for filing taxes, the end of tax season.
Productive and fun workplace with great culture
Tax Professionals (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2017
Great and fun seasonal job with many learning opportunities. Amazing workplace culture with much support from Managers and Senior Tax Professionals. Great team to work with. Flexible working hours.
Pros
flexible working hours, great support from Senior Tax Professionals and Managers
Cons
seasonal job with very limited of benefits
Productive,have fun helping the people of their taxes
Tax Professional -Level 1 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
In doing a through interviews to the client , it makes me feel accomplished specially the client is satisfied of what you are been doing of their taxes. I learned so much in how to handle different people and different scenarios of lives. In terms, of management they are organized in compliance of the company rules. The hardest part I encountered if the client suffered and owing, and trying to explaining and helping the client how to rid of for that. Of course, if there is a difficult of the job , there's also an enjoyable part like the client satisfied of what you have been explain it to them and getting a refund beyond on there expectation.
Pros
Client satisfactory
Cons
Can't solve the problem
You are at the mercy of Office Leader and the District Leader
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON18 May 2017
If either one takes a disliking to you, you will not be working much, if and when you do get to work, it will be up to the Office Leader to allocate the tax returns to you! So if you are not "in the good books" you will not be working much" if you are not working much, you will not reach your quota for the season, which will result in you not returning the following year!
Pros
Not Many if at all
Cons
Pay rate, Bonus is a joke

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2