H&R Block Employee Reviews

Enjoy serve people
Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 May 2016
- Help client understand more what benefit they can qualify
- Make plan for them to work on deduct their tax in the future so they won't ow tax
- Good chance to meet nice people and make friend
- My co-workers is great to help me out what first year I have problem with computer
- sometimes is stress out with this job but at the end everything will go smoothly deadline
- Improve my confident to communication with different type of people
- My boss trained me well to give me lesson of tax in higher level as specially in Business Expense, Employment Expense, Senior Health expense, etc
Pros
Enjoy working, nothing complaint
Cons
N/A
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 May 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients
Cons
Hectic and fun work place but lacks job security
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
Worked during tax season so it was very hectic. But was pleased with e training i received. The work culture is also very friendly.
Mediocre place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
Don't need to be too smart to work at H&R Block. They hire anyone.
Not much else to say about this company. Why do I need to say more when there isn't much else to say.
Pros
6 month off
Cons
Staff
It is fun to work there.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 June 2016
1.On the busy day I will be preparing income tax for clients and on the slow day I will mark cold calls to clients and set up appointments.
2. I learn how to prepare different tax return.
3. The hardest part is dealing with unfriendly clients.
Pros
Learn more information about income tax.
Cons
Only seasonal job.
Costumer Service representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 June 2016
Took phone calls and set up appointment for clients to see a tax expert.
Took cash,credit card or Debit transactions and balanced the daily cash flow at the end of the shift.
Also took walk in appointments when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Seasonal employment
The experience i have learned
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2016
Working at H&R Block was a great experience. I learned alot of new thinks like printing Western Union checks for clients that were in-tiled to a refund, doing PWR, AFR, booking appointments,answer calls,end of day cash out, contacting clients to pay balances outstanding, and last but not least i love meeting new people and just talking to pass time. Overall the company was a great work place, co-workers were friendly and so was management.
Pros
Your personal taxes are done for free
Cons
Sometimes it was to quite
impressive work environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2016
People are friendly at H&R Block. There is not much hierarchical system that every employee helps each others. This is my first professional job to expand my knowledge. I interview my client and learn how to organize their folders in a proper form.
Pros
not heavy workload
Cons
fast space environment
Great place to work, friendly co-workers, exceptional training provided and good mentors all around.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 April 2016
• Responsible for conducting client interviews and subsequently preparing accurate tax returns, such a way that the client pays the least possible amount of tax as prescribed by law.
• Implementing customer service and public relations programs, office procedures and reporting systems.
• Clarifying tax related client queries and reviewing the status of COD, Hold & Drop-off returns on an ongoing basis and following up with clients as necessary.
Great training experience; good people to work with.
Client Services Leader/Professional (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC20 April 2016
H&R Block has a great training program - taught me about income taxes and services to the client. Very busy during tax time and have to deal with people that are angry they have to pay taxes and don't want to wait for an appointment - was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was a client's happiness when you saved him/her money and they got a good tax refund. Co-workers very knowledgeable and hard working.
Pros
Good training program
Cons
Low pay
Productive & busy
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB9 May 2016
It was a very busy place so I learned to have strong problem solving skills in a fast pace. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers and boss, it is a very respectful company. My days went by fast and I wish I could have worked there longer.
Pros
Busy so day went by fast and nice staff
Cons
How it was so busy sometimes that it would be hard to go on break
nice
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 June 2016
IT is a good experience if you are planning to tax. ive learned alot and work under pressure. I have enjoyed it alot got a long with most of the people I worked with at H&R block. District Manager is great though I didnt work much with her throughout the season
H&R Block
Office Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2016
• Trained and supervised new employee’s
• Used internal H & R accounting software
• Dealt with personal and business tax returns
• Analyzed fax from including T4,T2125,Travel expenses
• Processed cash and banking transactions
Good place to learn new skills and information
RFS Support - IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 May 2016
As RFS Support you are always learning something new everyday. Either tips or tricks on how to use the software more efficiently or increasing your knowledge about taxes. Hardest part of the job is not knowing how to solve the issue but with teamwork this hurdle can overlooked.
Pros
Great hourly rate
Learned to work independently without any manager in the office
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  270 Kingston Rd East, Ajax ON, L1Z 1G16 April 2016
I have a very good experience at working for H&R Block. With each going day, I am learning new things from my co-worker and from my clients too. I am managing the whole office on my own. This was the hardest part of my job, but it is turning into really an easy work for me.There has been days where clients went upset from the office, but there were other clients too who went happier than before.
An alright place to work
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2016
Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to gain employment there.
Unorganized and very unprofessional.
I had a very rude manager who didn't know what she was talking about half the time and who was very unprofessional to clients.
She spoke of co-workers constantly and it was a bit of a turn off. I did not find her informative or educated at all.
first year
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON30 May 2016
This was my first year and with all the changes the office had it was hard to be taught anything. I had to go by what I learned in school and ask questions when I could. At the end of the year I still managed to get to awards out od the district.
Pros
fast paced, busy
I had great time working at H&R Block
Tax professional (Former Employee) –  2000 Dundas street18 May 2016
I learned a lot while working at H &R Block. I learned communication skills,co operate with team members,deal with clients etc.The most challenging part was convincing the clients the value of fee & enjoyable part was getting to know the clients .
Productive lots of learning.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta17 June 2016
Working in H&R Block has lots of learning..it helps a lot for future growth. Clients are very nice. Good Atmosphere to work. Good team work.
Pros
free learning
Cons
part time working after season of work

4.2