H&R Block
3,042 reviews

H&R Block Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very challenging work situation, good team building environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCMay 15, 2015
Pros: Free tax preparation for friends and family
Cons: Low Salary
Come in an hour early on my own time to prepare for the day.
Establish a comfortable relationship with each individual and ensure I was able to obtain all the necessary information to assure the most accurate tax accounting result.
Learned to listen to each client and provide advice on tax management for future years.
Team working was essential and coordination with co-workers was an essential part of the job.
The hardest part was advising clients that they had not managed their tax deductions wisely and they owed tax to Canada Revenue. The flip side was telling clients that they had a refund that they did not expect and celebrating that moment with them.
Fun place to work at
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2015
Pros: balanced work and personal time
My Typical day would include:
Filing income taxes for people
Making appointments and Cancelling appointments
doing taxes for drop offs.
H & R Block is a decent place to work.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBApril 27, 2015
In a typical day I would open and close shop, greet and inform clients, direct them to the appropriate professionals, schedule clients, and prepare and organize client portfolios.
A good working environment
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Whitby, ONApril 27, 2015
* Daily review of the number of tax return filled with management.

* Senior tax preparers always willing to assist with tough/difficult returns.
Great place to learn about tax system
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), GTA, OntarioApril 27, 2015
Pros: You learn about CRA and tax system of the country
Cons: Headoffice think little of people who make them money
Not much training is given, a lot is expected. People are not especially helpful and managment lacks leadership capabilities. There are no chances of growth, they want people to work for free. Not to place to work year after year.
Loved the experiance.
Office Assistant/ part time (Former Employee), Dawson Creek, BCApril 15, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: long hours
It was a great Job. loved working with the clients and would like to do it again.hours were 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to saturday. for three months. As it was my first year i was restricted with the level of paper work. I was more frustrated when my CEO then held me back from getting work done because she was busy. She is not there now.
Enjoyable.
CSP (Former Employee), prince george, bcApril 15, 2015
Pros: Absolutely everything.
Cons: Computers breaking down.
H&R Block, is a great place to work I highly recommend applying there. I am currently in process of learning how to do basic T4's. I manage appointments, phone calls, filing, and faxing. My co-workers are great all have a amazing personalities. The hardest part of this job is having the computers break down during a appointment. The most enjoyable part of being here is socializing with my clients and doing the best to make them have a great time here at H&R block. I definitely want to apply here again next year.
Fast paced
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 15, 2015
Working here requires a bit of a thick skin.
Remember that you are handling all forms of clients that have different ways of handling their finances. The moods and responses to their taxes can cause trouble. Luckily they train you how to handle that here unlike other companies.
Professional and educational place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONApril 12, 2015
Pros: Working with people, learning new things
Cons: Not always being able to tell clients what they want to hear
Learning new job skills every year
Knowledgeable co-workers
Clients are not always easy to work with, trying to make everyone as happy as you can
Enjoy working with people and learning new things everyday I work
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 6, 2015
Good Taxation knowledge
Flexible Schedule
Very interactive top level Management
One on One client interaction
Customer Service
Accounting
Great for short term and learning about personal taxes
Tax Professional level 3 (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 4, 2015
Pros: Free tax returns for friends and family
Cons: Fluctuating client levels mess with metricks
I loved working for H&R Block. It was a wonderful experience, and I do believe it helped me succeed in education. Lots of people from different walks of life, always meeting different clients with different needs, creates a great learning atmosphere and most tax professionals with more experience are very helpful. Only employed for 4 months, as tax season is only 10 weeks and the pre-season training is minimal. I would go back, but unfortunately was time to move on and explore more career focused opportunities.
smelly atmosphere, crowded areas, busy bodies
Receptionist (Former Employee), High Prairie, ABMarch 27, 2015
I enjoy working at the front meeting people, answering the phone, filing, computer use, copying documents, etc. I did not enjoy vacuuming the rugs, taking care of the garbage and hauling it out to my car and hauling it away. company to cheap to get a dumpster. the clients are free to use our bathroom which I did not agree with. the program for the receptionist was not adequate enough to be able to take care of my mistakes without bothering the office manager. the co workers were polite and helpful to me. I had notes put on my wall of the desk to help me remember things to do according to the receipts, making appointments, etc. I reorganized the area where we store items so that we had enough room for the clients to get around with falling over the items. I unpacked the new chairs that was bought. I carried heavy boxes up stairs into the office and emptied them and broke the boxes apart to be able to throw them away.
Productive environment, senior associates are very helpful in mentoring to develop skills.
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Ottawa East, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Friendly work environment.
Cons: Hourly pay is low.
Day starts with clock in, going over schedule and calling to book appointments. I have learned to listen as a first-year tax professional. Listen and pay attention to details. If mistake has been made admit them and learn from those mistakes. Looking at big picture and assist proactively rather than reactively.
Great place for accounting students
Tax Professional (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
I work in this company mainly for tax experience.
HR offers highly flexible schedule for part-time associates and great tax courses for associates to advance their tax knowledge,
Part time work
Client Service Professional (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 22, 2015
As I was a part-time worker. It was a good place to work, nice environment, co-workers were supportive, helpful and respectful. Enjoyable part of the job is to solve queries for the customer and meet new people every time and everyday.
H&R Block
Front Office/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), North Bay, ONMarch 22, 2015
A typical day at to work consists of helping clients book appointment and being them to the scheduled tax associate to complete their taxes. I learned how to work in an office environment. My management was mostly fair depending on the situation. My coworkers were mostly amazing. The hardest part of my job was working late when needed. The most enjoyable part was working with people.
Fun place to work as requires multi-tasking people
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 20, 2015
Good company very professional and an excellent company for tremendous work experience. I learned time management, customer service, Invoicing, Tax principles,etc. Hardest part of the job is to handle the pressure of clients waiting for longer than expected hours.
A Friendly Place to work
Office Leader (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMarch 13, 2015
Pros: 9-5 monday to friday job
Cons: none really
I was an office leader. I answered phones, faxed, printed, scheduled shifts for staff at my location. Filing and customer service. Received clients at front desk and chatted with them while they waited to be served. Best part was the friendships I made with co workers
Productive and fun at the office
Client Service Representative (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: talking to people
Cons: sitting at the computer long period of time
My typical day at work is sitting at the computer answering phone calls and giving the clients their money. I also organize the folders in alphabet order.
Productive and fun workplace
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Maple, ONFebruary 26, 2015
My Day starts of with doing my daily administration work, checking my appointments for the day. Constantly greeting new incoming clients and answering phone calls.
Take clients into office and do an interview to fully understands their situation.
Provide clients with best tax preparation possible ,take payments and submit.
Great company to work for and friendly co-workers.

1 2 3 4 5

About H&R Block

H&R Block is one of the world's largest tax services providers, utilizing more than 100,000 highly trained tax professionals – Read more