H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

great customer service s experience , self confidence , responsibility .
Specialiste en fiscalité (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QCMarch 13, 2016
my opinion about a typical day at work is :
big responsibility when am doing the income tax declaration for customers and especially because the customers put their trusts on me .
the management is so important because i have to pay attention of every folder , to not match the papers between the customers .
we work as a team , we all have the team spirit .
the hardest part of the job is when i have something new to do , i have never seen it before , i am alone at the office , and the client have no time to wait , so i feel pressure .

the most enjoyable part of the job is when i finish a declaration and i find that it was well done which is give me a self confidence .
and day after day the communications with clients will be easier and more developed .
Friendly work environment
Income Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 22, 2015
1. Assisting clients with their concerns about their personal taxes

2. Working together with colleagues to solve problems

3. Handling phone calls and following procedures to handle difficult clients.

4. Updating files and filing taxes electronically
Pros
Management and staff are very supportive and knowledgeable.
Cons
Seasonal work. There is no advancement in the company.
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Cons
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 15, 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
Efficient and knowledgeable place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 20, 2016
I loved working here as it is the desired place I always wanted to work. I always wanted to work at an office with well dressed and sophisticated people around me. It gives me a professional feeling and brings the best in me. My work would start with greeting everyone with a smile by walking into everyone's cabin. This prepared me well for the day giving me an idea who's in to work and what their day is like. It also alert all the employees that I'm on and will be serving them. The employees were sweet and helpful, they ll believed in working as a team and were always there to help out each other. This made the entire office an attracted place to work at. The credit also goes to the management for keeping the flow of the office so great. Working around taxes gives you a chance to learn about others lives. This is a very practical thing in Canada and I learned a lot from it.
Pros
Flexible Hours, positive environment, neat and tidy offices.
Cons
Ran out of office supplies.
Enjoy serve people
Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2016
- Help client understand more what benefit they can qualify
- Make plan for them to work on deduct their tax in the future so they won't ow tax
- Good chance to meet nice people and make friend
- My co-workers is great to help me out what first year I have problem with computer
- sometimes is stress out with this job but at the end everything will go smoothly deadline
- Improve my confident to communication with different type of people
- My boss trained me well to give me lesson of tax in higher level as specially in Business Expense, Employment Expense, Senior Health expense, etc
Pros
Enjoy working, nothing complaint
Cons
N/A
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 10, 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NLJune 13, 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Cons
Great place to work, friendly co-workers, exceptional training provided and good mentors all around.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 27, 2016
• Responsible for conducting client interviews and subsequently preparing accurate tax returns, such a way that the client pays the least possible amount of tax as prescribed by law.
• Implementing customer service and public relations programs, office procedures and reporting systems.
• Clarifying tax related client queries and reviewing the status of COD, Hold & Drop-off returns on an ongoing basis and following up with clients as necessary.
The experience i have learned
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 2, 2016
Working at H&R Block was a great experience. I learned alot of new thinks like printing Western Union checks for clients that were in-tiled to a refund, doing PWR, AFR, booking appointments,answer calls,end of day cash out, contacting clients to pay balances outstanding, and last but not least i love meeting new people and just talking to pass time. Overall the company was a great work place, co-workers were friendly and so was management.
Pros
Your personal taxes are done for free
Cons
Sometimes it was to quite
Nice place to work at
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
Greet customer, escort them into the office. Get some information from the customer. Proceed to do their taxes. I have learned different areas of taxes. I have advanced every year with their schooling. My co-workers are a great bunch of people. The hardest part of my job was to tell a client that they had to pay taxes at the end of the year. The greatest part of my job was that I got to meet and work with lot of interesting people through the years.
Great training experience; good people to work with.
Client Services Leader/Professional (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCApril 20, 2016
H&R Block has a great training program - taught me about income taxes and services to the client. Very busy during tax time and have to deal with people that are angry they have to pay taxes and don't want to wait for an appointment - was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was a client's happiness when you saved him/her money and they got a good tax refund. Co-workers very knowledgeable and hard working.
Pros
Good training program
Cons
Low pay
seasonal parti-time
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 22, 2015
Did not enjoy working at H&R block. Workers were too aggressive toward each others. They don't support each other. Management was unprofessional.
Pros
Cons
Less hours
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 18, 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients
Productive and Fun Workplace
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 2, 2016
It was both of a great learning and working experience at H&R Block, which I stayed from January 2016 to May 2nd 2016(the end of the tax season). Colleagues are willing to help each other and the most fun part was to see people from all walks of life. The managers were considerate and hard-working.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
I wish I could have been given more working hours.
I gained valuable tax experience, office and customer service skills
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2016
Typical office day is busy and exciting in the sense that every taxpayer has his own tax circumstances. In order to address those needs, I learned how to cater to their specific needs using the information obtained from each client and my tax knowledge and skills. My co-workers have also helped me through and the manager provided us with the resources that we need to deliver quality service. Although I work on my own cubicle, it was also a collaborative effort to satisfy H&R clientele and that's what makes it enjoyable!
easy job and mostly helping clients for their best tax returns
Tax Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJune 15, 2016
1. typical day at the job was calling clients and booking appointments.
2. i have learned tax laws and customer service skills.
3. hardest part of the job was to problem solving such as working around the file to get the maximum refund.
4. the enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of the customers.
Productive fast paste work
Office Administrator / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Transcona, MBNovember 5, 2015
this job during tax season is fast paste. There are a vast range of clients and demands. In most part it is gratifying for me, as I learnt a lot from watching all the tax pros at work. Working with the all the financial aspects of taxes has been helpful in my learning the other side of doing taxes. One of the hardest part of the job is dealing with really irrate people during the tax season, but reassuring them has been challenging and gratifying at the same time. I get along with all office staff and management, we are a great team.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
seasonal
Learned to work independently without any manager in the office
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  270 Kingston Rd East, Ajax ON, L1Z 1G1April 6, 2016
I have a very good experience at working for H&R Block. With each going day, I am learning new things from my co-worker and from my clients too. I am managing the whole office on my own. This was the hardest part of my job, but it is turning into really an easy work for me.There has been days where clients went upset from the office, but there were other clients too who went happier than before.
It is fun to work there.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 15, 2016
1.On the busy day I will be preparing income tax for clients and on the slow day I will mark cold calls to clients and set up appointments.
2. I learn how to prepare different tax return.
3. The hardest part is dealing with unfriendly clients.
Pros
Learn more information about income tax.
Cons
Only seasonal job.

4.3