H&R Block Employee Reviews

Unsatisfied
District Operations Co-ordinator Calgary North (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
H&R Block for me is not a good place to work, there is no security, the pay is horrible, and there are no benefits.

I was promised permanent year round with OT during season and regular hrs after, I did get a lot of OT, but the after hrs were cut to less than 20 a week and if I wanted more hrs I had to take a cut in pay.

The training for 1st and 2nd yr tax pro's is not complete and they are left fundling throughout the yr as the experienced people (?) do not want to spend the time training anyone.

MGMT does not know anything about taxes as they are all new and have never taken the course.

Being a DOC my manager was hard to reach and when you did reach her was not very forth coming.

DOC training is all done over the phone....
Get to meet different types of people
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  CA9 December 2016
I learned a lot about the personal taxation and the also enjoyed preparing taxes for the clients as I enjoy working with numbers, this way was also able to help completing taxes for my family and friends as well as added benefit.
Pros
gained good tax knoledge
Cons
minimum salary for the technical work done
Fun place to work
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
Productive, help people to get the most out of their taxes, the management team is always there for support, workers work in a team environment, the most enjoyable part is when you actually make a difference in someone's life
Pros
fun place to work
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
Management in Owen Sound Office
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 October 2016
Manager of the local HR Block has no people skills. I have many years experience in Customer Service, and I would have never spoken to clients they way the manager did.

We went from a busy office to a lot of extra time of sitting around waiting for clients.

Manager can often be heard yelling other staff as well as yell at a client because they did not understand what she was trying to explain. If the client understood income tax then they would not be a client. Manager should never talked down to clients or her staff.
Pros
helping cleints with their tax needs
Cons
a better manager
Fast paced seasonal employement
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC10 November 2016
You are able to work according to your availability. Every tax season there are courses available for your own personal advancement in the company. It is really rewarding to help people get the most out of their tax returns.
Pros
Some free returns for family and friends
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 June 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Great overall workplace.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Yonge & Steels (Centrepoint Mall)3 September 2016
Steady environment, you need to deal with an array of different people with different situations, co-workers and management are always available to assist with unknown or difficult issues that may arise.

The good part is taking 1 problem off peoples hands.

The bad part is not being able to solve all problems that come into the office.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Flexibility in work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2016
Good company to work with. Good entry point for new immigrants to those who want to get into their Accounting and Finance fields.very good training to update knowledge.
Pros
Flexible timings, Learning opportunity, Provide updated knowledge every single year, Get to meet lot of people
Cons
to much greediness in some coworkers for getting more customers, No set procedure to allocate the returns as per Tax Level of the professional
open and friendly work environment
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 January 2017
Learn taxes and advance every year. The general rule is every year you either teach a course or take a course. Management is wonderful, coworkers are helpful and there is always something to learn.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
the occasional Mean client
High pressure in a Professional company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 January 2017
H&R Block is a very good company to learn to start. From them, you can learn a lot, from professional knoweldges, software, cultures, to professional mannus, they will teach you everything. But somehow, the pressure is high, and you have to adapt with.
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NL13 June 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Cons
Efficient and knowledgeable place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 May 2016
I loved working here as it is the desired place I always wanted to work. I always wanted to work at an office with well dressed and sophisticated people around me. It gives me a professional feeling and brings the best in me. My work would start with greeting everyone with a smile by walking into everyone's cabin. This prepared me well for the day giving me an idea who's in to work and what their day is like. It also alert all the employees that I'm on and will be serving them. The employees were sweet and helpful, they ll believed in working as a team and were always there to help out each other. This made the entire office an attracted place to work at. The credit also goes to the management for keeping the flow of the office so great. Working around taxes gives you a chance to learn about others lives. This is a very practical thing in Canada and I learned a lot from it.
Pros
Flexible Hours, positive environment, neat and tidy offices.
Cons
Ran out of office supplies.
One of the best places to work at!!
CS & Branch Manger Business and Residential Taxing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
This job was again, one of my most favourite jobs. Flexible hours, everyone was super nice. Manager was great. Training available anytime you needed. Pay was a little less but overall a fun place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee!!
Cons
End of tax season meant extra working hours.
Hectic and fun work place but lacks job security
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
Worked during tax season so it was very hectic. But was pleased with e training i received. The work culture is also very friendly.
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 May 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients
Cons
Great and friendly environment, I love this place.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON8 January 2017
Great and friendly environment, I love this place. You meet new people everyday, I had a chance to work with great staff and to exchange our experience
Pros
meet new people every day
Cons
seasonal work
Fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
I do love coming back every year just because i get along with my coworkers. Every years the government change plan have to adjust with it. meet all kind of people. I do love all my managers from Sudbury to Toronto.
Pros
Free tax
Cons
Short season
Very challenging work situation, good team building environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC15 May 2015
Come in an hour early on my own time to prepare for the day.
Establish a comfortable relationship with each individual and ensure I was able to obtain all the necessary information to assure the most accurate tax accounting result.
Learned to listen to each client and provide advice on tax management for future years.
Team working was essential and coordination with co-workers was an essential part of the job.
The hardest part was advising clients that they had not managed their tax deductions wisely and they owed tax to Canada Revenue. The flip side was telling clients that they had a refund that they did not expect and celebrating that moment with them.
Pros
Free tax preparation for friends and family
Cons
Low Salary

4.2