H&R Block

3.9K reviews

H&R Block Employee Reviews

Low wages, no advancement, incompetent DM, say no more!
part-time associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 20, 2012
The wages are low and you take some staff have rather extensive backgrounds and deserve more. Anyone can be taught to input data but to truly understand what it means is something else.

Training is minimal once you are at the office which yes, you gahve your course but to have clients thrown at you tout suite is not good business practice. This gives both the client who is paying TOP dollar for the service and the poor schmuck employee a bad experience right off the get go. Most senior staff have no use for the newbies and even though new employees are guaranteed that the senior staff are the to help out, nobody is watching and it rarely happens. I' ve seen both endas of the spectrum on that one. New staff looking for assistance because they aren't well trained and the senior staff fed up with doing the training for no extra money.

The DM for the area I worked actually threatened to have employees arrested because they were giving out the student discount too often... Even though the clients were indeed students. I actually kept an email that was circulated by him and it was threatening and in very poor taste. Funny thing was, a copy went to his boss and the staff never received an apology so that meant that she agreed with this... get real people! The DM was from a far eastern province and the English used and language spoken was improper. We used to laugh when a new message came through from him, it was full of grammatical errors, slang and the tone was always rude.

Good luck to anyone that made more than $10 bucks an hour! I have financial experience and I could roll out
  more... 3 pr 4 per hour and wasn't paid accordingly. Much less get a thank you or fair compensation!

I wouldn't recommend H&R Block to even the most desperate employee.
Pros
nothing pro
Cons
long hours, poor pay and rude senior staff including the dm and assistant dm.
My review of H&R Block
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 22, 2013
I would get their a half hour before my shift started to open up and get things running for when the tax pro's got there.I worked as a C.S.R. So I answered phones, booked appointments, entered clients into CIS , matched clients up with the tax pro most experienced to handle their specific tax needs and cashed them out after their appointments. I also did the filing and pccp calling . I learned alot actually ... I learned how to book appointments how to cash out clients such as take payment or make up their cashback money orders or master cards .. I also learned alot about taxes and whats allowed to be claimed and whats not ...My manager was awesome ... She was more then willing to work with me and help me learn my job .Most of my co workers were great and very supportive ..I am a people person and usually get along with most everybody . The hardest part of the job was in the beginning when i just started but after that it wasn't bad at all .. I'm not afraid to ask questions if I don't know something . The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with .. And I love learning and gained alot of valuable experience ..
Pros
enjoyable work environment .. and flexible hours for the most part .
Cons
its only a seasonal job . would have liked to stay on all year ..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 6, 2013
A typical day at work:
Greeting Clients
Answering telephones, taking messages, booking and scheduling appointments. Faxing and receiving faxes. Photocopying information, filing-- retrieving files, and filing them after no-longer needed. Receiving drop off`s dating them when they are to be ready for clients. Updating client`s information. Taking new client`s information. Putting them in order of date to be completed. Receiving payments, through moneris. Printing and issuing receipts. Stapling our copies of method of payment inside client`s files. Doing end of day balancing. Making out deposit slips and putting cash amounts in bag along with deposit slips, sealing it, dating it, then depositing it in the night depository at the bank. Doing light cleaning of work area. Taking out the garbage on garbage days at end of shift. Pretty general and straight forward. Co-workers are great, team spirited and helpful. Harmonious. Management or office leader are great. We had an awesome office leader. Hardest part of the job, is equipment malfunctioning, example when computer crashes, or moneris isn`t working at the most crucial times or when they are all down. The most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction and happy office leaders.
Pros
end of season dinners, awards, and prizes
Cons
peak season can be a bit challenging at times
Very good ongoing training and professional development, leading to (mostly) seasonal employment and advancement. Money improves over time.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 13, 2013
You must successfully complete H&R Block Level 1 public tax school courses to qualify for employment. Courses start mid-September every year. (A referral from an H&R Block tax pro can save you 50% off the cost of registration--up to a $150 value.)

You must take (and pass) refresher and advanced-level courses each year to move forward with the complexity of tax returns you will prepare and pay scale and bonuses you will be eligible for.

A merit-based organization--generally speaking, if you produce, make few mistakes, and achieve above average client retention, you will do well.

Appeals to diverse ages, career paths. Popular with accounting students starting out, semi-retirees and others looking to augment income or have an outlet for their occupational energy.

Does not require mathematical genius to be successful. Tax knowledge, which you can acquire through the courses, common sense, and concern for clients' welfare are much more useful qualities.
Pros
atmosphere. clients.
Cons
exacting, demanding. hard work.
This is a good job for those who do not need to work year round.
Income Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 26, 2014
My day typically involves client service/satisfaction, based on their tax situation. It is my responsibility to make sure they get the maximum refund/lowest tax liability. I work on a computerized system and have to be competent of 3 different applications. There are all levels of experienced professionals in my office, but as the most senior person here, most of them look to me for guidance and procedures. Unfortunately there is usually a lot of staff turnover and you are never sure who you will be working with/for in the next season. The hardest part of the job is knowing your tax knowledge and having to explain to young clients that they have a balance owing to the CRA. The best part of the job is getting to meet so many different people on a daily basis and when you can find them more of a tax refund than they thought they would get.
Pros
work around your hours of availability, and there are bonuses for goals met.
Cons
hourly wages do not increase appropriately and bonuses not guaranteed.
Productive company but a good working environment
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NLSeptember 2, 2015
I only worked at H&R Block during the tax season (February to April 30).

A typical day at work involved meeting with clients, conducting an interview for the purpose of preparing their tax return in such a way that they paid the least amount of tax as prescribed the law. In the majority of cases, the end result proved to be of a good nature and it gave you a good feeling knowing that the client is leaving feeling satisfied with the overall outcome.
This was not always the case and you had to deal with the good as well as the bad.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learning from them as well as providing support whenever support was requested.

Each year there was a couple of weeks that we called 'peak' and this resulted in clients have long wait times. This brought on some minimal stress but in the end the client fully understood the situation and left on a good note.

Overall, H&R Block is a good place to work.
Pros
Good People to work with, enjoyed meeting people
Cons
busy and stressful during peak time
CSR, Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 17, 2015
This is my favorite job ive ever had. I get to interact with clients daily in person and on the phone. They are flexible and generous with hours. I enjoy managing an office. It allows me to organize and rearrange things while i add new profiles and clients into the system. I also learned so much while working there and i cant wait until next year to learn even more. I worked in three separate offices and juggled the hours between the three. I had great supervisors at all three offices and they made me feel so welcome and comfortable it really made my job that much easier. I was very happy to go to work everyday and always expressed that in the way i ran the office. At times things can be stressful, but i found for the most part the clients just misunderstand and get defensive. My job was to calm them down and explain and keep them as a client. Which i found to be quite easy. All in all, this was a great place to work.
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Extended hours weeks.
smelly atmosphere, crowded areas, busy bodies
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, ABMarch 27, 2015
I enjoy working at the front meeting people, answering the phone, filing, computer use, copying documents, etc. I did not enjoy vacuuming the rugs, taking care of the garbage and hauling it out to my car and hauling it away. company to cheap to get a dumpster. the clients are free to use our bathroom which I did not agree with. the program for the receptionist was not adequate enough to be able to take care of my mistakes without bothering the office manager. the co workers were polite and helpful to me. I had notes put on my wall of the desk to help me remember things to do according to the receipts, making appointments, etc. I reorganized the area where we store items so that we had enough room for the clients to get around with falling over the items. I unpacked the new chairs that was bought. I carried heavy boxes up stairs into the office and emptied them and broke the boxes apart to be able to throw them away.
Good advantages on tax filing services, supportive co-workers
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2014
At first, the job is not so easy with a new immigrant staff. Every day, I can learn many things from my clients' case study. I am working and learning. My co-workers are very nice and supportive. They are supporting me in any new situation and give me valuable advice and instruction. Day by day, I am more and more confident in my job and I can consult my clients in many ways to have most benefit in tax return filling. I love to do tax filling for the whole family, (husband, wife, kids) and it is very interesting to find out the most optimal situation for their family as a whole to claim proper deductible expenses or tax benefit amounts. I can sit down with them to see the outcomes for each option we make and find the best one. I found my passion on doing that and my clients will be very happy and interesting as well.
Every new complicated case is a new challenge to me and I am willing to do and to learn more and more. In every task I do, I want to be the best.
Pros
standardise and consistent services
Cons
seasonal job
Excellent opportunity for business students
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ONJanuary 20, 2014
My daily activities involved primarily dealing with clients' tax issues. Clients would come into the office to file for their annual tax returns with their documents and I would assist in ensuring their tax returns are prepared and filed in accordance with the Income Tax Act (ITA).

My work environment was highly educational as I immediately learned the difference between the theory of what I studied at school, and the practical application. In particular, helping clients resolve their tax related issues was highly rewarding.

My coworkers and management were highly professional and greatly helpful in teaching me the practical aspects of the tasks.

The hardest part of the job involved dealing with clients that omitted certain information that would make it difficult in completing their tax returns, such as not informing me of their income earned in the United States or other places of employment that would affect their tax returns.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could see how grateful clients were that their tax returns have been filed and that I played an active role in ensuring their tax returns provided the highest returns while in adherence with the ITA.
Pros
educational, opportunities, helping clients
Almost feels like its not a job.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCMay 30, 2014
As soon as I get there I do filing. Then there is calling to do in which I would call clients reminding them they have things to pick up or letting them know their taxes are done. Later in the day there is money to be deposited in the bank and mail to be dropped off. I learned how to deal with people, and communicate more with others. My co-workers were so helpful with every question I had. My boss was probably the best one I'll ever have. The hardest part would be first starting out and learning which papers to fill out, where people have to sign, and explaining what it is exactly that they are signing. You get the hang of it after quite a few people come in. The part I liked most about the job was the cookies and baking that some of the co-workers would bring in.
Pros
all the goodies to eat
Cons
the not so great clients to deal with.
A Good Starting
Tax Professional Level II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 27, 2012
My duty is to prepare clients' individual income tax return to make sure they get back the maximum refund or pay the less tax. Since the clients' situations are not the same, the tax credits they can claim are quite different. It is a big challenge to conduct client interview as we need to cover all aspects which may have effect on the calculation of tax. After the interview I will do data entry, with accuracy and speedy. Then I will explain the result to client, letting them know how the result is that much and why there is a difference with prior year's return. Future, I will give clients tax tips for next year's return. Next I will collect the service fee and explain the fee we charge. At last I will file the return and store documents in designed area. It is a great job to start a professional career.
Pros
learn new skills and meet great clients
Cons
season job
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONSeptember 28, 2015
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Pros
working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons
Owner sold the company
fast paced dynamic interpersonal low pressure environment
Client Service Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Albert AbAugust 3, 2014
I have run the H&R BLOCK St. Albert Location for a few years now and have developed a pleasant work environment that has staff and clients insisting on my return yearly, I enjoy helping people with things they themselves find stressful and seeing the look of satisfaction when the job is completed. That applies to every job/ position I have held. Customer satisfaction is my first priority and frequently go the extra mile to ensure they will consider me the next time they have a need. A happy customer is repeat and new business. It has always been personally satisfying to be the best representative of a company philosophy that matches my own personal beliefs.
Pros
strong team support, individual flexability, personal responsability, helping others, team effort
Cons
season is too short
very fun and fast paced enviornment. The people there made me look forward to going to work
Seasonal Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABJune 24, 2014
I can't say enough good things about this job. The people were very understanding and supportive of a learning curve and very appreciative of the work you do. When I made mistakes they were there to help me out and to learn from them, when I did a good job they made a point of letting me know they noticed. The staff and management are all supportive of each other and work as a team. Everyone helped everyone out. Very fast paced work during peak season, dealing with many tax returns a day so the day went by very fast. Management would give sweet little gifts on special occasion like an easter basket full of chocolates for easter or flowers, and encouraged you to make work fun.
Pros
free lunches on saturday, always showed appreciation, supportive and understanding
Cons
was only a seasonal position
Productive and fun to work for, fast pace environment.
Accouting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Leduc, A.B.April 4, 2013
A/P & A/R ,adjusting payments, filing files,retrieving files, photo copying retrieving messenges, answering phones, making appointments. retrieving information from files to customers.
Learned how to print out cheques for customers, and a new program,
My co-workers were supportive and helpful in the tasks I had started and finished, as well as helping them to start to finish.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with 8 to 10 customers at my desk, while the 6 phone lines ringing at the same time, with no other workers helping you out, because I was the only receptionist and the accountants were filing taxes and could not be disturbed. I was the only receptionist during the day.
They most enjoyable part of the job was completing, a job for a client and they walked out satisfied.
Pros
busyness
Cons
not having the extra help with customers and phones
variety in the type of work, appreciation of what you do for someone which may seem simple to you but weight lifting for them
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 17, 2013
Handling phone calls, answering questions regarding filing of tax returns, or responding to Canada Revenue for clients that have filed and additional information is needed preparing various types of tax returns.
Hardest part--adjusting and staying on top of the constant change whether it be different management or new tax law
enjoyable--Helping clients receive satisfaction by resolve problems with preparing their tax returns or their inquiries from Canada Revenue. As an instructor with either the Public courses or employee classes the satisfaction of seeing them learn and apply new skills and knowledge.
Pros
employees able to upgrade knowledge for cost of textbook, company subsidizes classroom expense
Cons
seasonal
Pleasant place to work
Cash Back Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 10, 2012
A typical day at H&R Block was that of entry names and
addresses of clients tax returns. The different offices would
phone in the clients information while preparing the income tax.
Our job was to type with speed and accuracy this information
given to us over the phone. I also assisted in the printing of the
cash back cheques and preparing them for pick up to be distrubuted
to the other tax offices here in Ottawa. Also did photocoping and
filing as required of all the tax forms.

Hardest part would be getting the right spelling of an individual's names and some of the tax prepares were foreigners and hard
to understand at times.

Most enjoyable part of the job was my Cash Back Manager.
She allowed us to work under our own supervision and
did not pressure us in any way.
Pros
christmas party
Cons
seasonal job only
A job can learn many skills
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 4, 2013
-File tax return for customers, answer any questions related to their tax return and suggest eligible refundable/non-refundable tax credit.
-I learned customer service skills, taxation knowledge and co-operation skill working in a team.
-The co-workers are very nice and helpful. We all support each other and work as a team to reach some goals which are set by management. For example: promoting master card sales, service grading rate.
-The hardest part is to meet the need of the customers. Some customers assume they could have refund each year, but that may not be true.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is to enjoy learning through acquiring experience.
Pros
learn about taxation
Cons
place to work is assigned and it is far.
Very challenging work situation, good team building environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 15, 2015
Come in an hour early on my own time to prepare for the day.
Establish a comfortable relationship with each individual and ensure I was able to obtain all the necessary information to assure the most accurate tax accounting result.
Learned to listen to each client and provide advice on tax management for future years.
Team working was essential and coordination with co-workers was an essential part of the job.
The hardest part was advising clients that they had not managed their tax deductions wisely and they owed tax to Canada Revenue. The flip side was telling clients that they had a refund that they did not expect and celebrating that moment with them.
Pros
Free tax preparation for friends and family
Cons
Low Salary

4.2