H&R Block Employee Reviews

fun place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB20 October 2017
it was lit
there was a good environment
it is a great starter job
it always felt very welcoming
they were always very cheerful
They were very helpful
For newcomers or people with few experience in Canada, this is a good place to star.
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2017
During the Tax Season I usually work at the same office and the team there is awesome. I enjoy my job and the work environment, plus is close to my home.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
There is no commission payment after the tax season is over.
Busy Place
senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC17 October 2017
great experience. I enjoyed the busy atmosphere and enjoyed gaining new clientele.Everyone worked together , sharing their expertise in different situations
Flexible time for work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS14 October 2017
H&R Block provide every employee a flexible time to work each week. The office manager will schedule everyone's working time one week before based on everyone's available time.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
instability
Tax Preparation
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS12 October 2017
I enjoyed working with the people of the company, however I do not agree with many of the policies of this company. Being unable to tell a client what the cost of there return will be without actually completing it first as well as the high prices that are charged. As well, I do not believe I should have to pay them for additional training which benefits them while they pay little more than minimum wage. I also do not like pushing products on people when I don't believe they need them.
Pros
The other staff.
Cons
Corporate management with no thought for individuals.
Dangereux
Directrice de bureau et fiscaliste (Former Employee) –  Mascouche, QC12 October 2017
Nos sommes souvent seul dans le bureau et on a de grosses sommes d'argent.
negative
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  The Pas, MB3 October 2017
I did not a have a very positive experience, I was grateful for the opportunity. However; my boss made it very difficult. My advice to the company would be to build a much more positive environment and take care of the workers.
Pros
no cost for tax
Cons
late cheque dates
Horrible Owners to work for
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB3 October 2017
During my time with this company I was treated poorly. Provided misleading information from the owners. Forced to work OT hours at regular pay, was told that labour standards did not apply as I had signed an employment contract. I was also told that there was no WCB coverage for us "office" staff, even after an injury that I still have problems with.
Great Learning Experience
Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK3 October 2017
H&R Block was a fantastic learnig experience and it really complimented my education. I learned a lot about taxation and scheduling, it was also a great experiece as far as workplace ethics and work relationships were concerned.
Nice Place to Work
Tax Professional, Tax Course Instuctor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 October 2017
H&R Block is a great place to work if you have a great DM and DOC. Great life/work balance, you can choose if you want to work full time, part time, if you are ok with overtimes.
Cons
National office doesn't understand how field offices work
challenging work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 October 2017
very fast paced work environment, great learning opportunites.

Great variety of situations exposed to.

Work with some great people.

best part of job is helping people!
Excellent place to have a long term career
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 September 2017
Thorough training that starts in the Fall with minimal hours is great for my schedule.

There are many long term colleagues that truly make you feel like you're part of a team and are there to help you when you need it.

There is room for advancement (and it is encouraged), with your fellow team members working thru everything with you which makes it easier.

The freedom of setting the hours you work is a great bonus as I can work as much or as little as I choose. If I want to take the summer off and only work during tax season, this job affords me that luxury.

Every return is reviewed by management for accuracy so I can talk with my client and have great confidence the return I have prepared has been done correctly. This gives great Peace of Mind to me and my clients.

One of the hard parts about the job is you have to be quite detail oriented and you have to like working with numbers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is A:) my co-workers and B:) making a difference in people's lives. My accuracy with their tax return and finding that extra $100 credit for them could be the difference in having the funds to cover their bills or not.
Pros
Flexible hours, hands-on learning, room for advancement, Strive for accuracy as a team
Cons
If you can't handle working with numbers and fine detail work, this is not for you.
verry good
Client service Profeesional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2017
good place work. learned lot of new thing every day and basic bookkeeping. the management is good. the hardest part of work in H&R Block was when client was angry and strewed up .
Good place to start
Customer Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 September 2017
Great training - worth going back for year after year. Good people to work for & with in local offices. Poor pay, bad bonus structure & seasonal work only.
Pros
Good local management
Cons
poor pay
Efficient and Organized place to work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 September 2017
H & R Block is a very welcoming and efficient work place. It is very organized and efficient. Everything is done orderly and professionally. There is never any complaints or arguement. They are very helpful sending all clients back with no questions or confusions, everyhting cleared up.
Pros
Organized
Taxes
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 September 2017
Doing taxes can be very stressful for most people including myself.
I learned a lot about taxes and rules the government has in place.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset clients. But the best part is meeting new people and being able to help them understand certain things about doing taxes.
Très productif
Spécialiste de l'impôt/ Secrétaire (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC8 September 2017
Bon travail d'équipe. J'ai adoré travailler pour eux,car j'ai eu la chance d'apprendre a faire des impôts pour les particulier et j'en suis fière.
Pros
Bonne équipe
Cons
Salaire
H&R Block helped me learn more about what goes into a tax return. It is not all about numbers
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON29 August 2017
I learned a bit about bookkeeping and accounting. They are long days and short days but you get through it when you get the motivation from co-workers.
Productive and Efficient Culture
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 August 2017
The Office culture was one of improving efficiency. Co-workers were able to work together to solve problems and the goal was accuracy in tax preparation.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, Great Training
Good experience with tax
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2017
It's good chance to learn about personal tax. Great work environment and excellent colleagues. You might get very busy during the tax season but you could meet different people and help with their tax issue.
Pros
excellent colleagues
Cons
could be very busy during tax season

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2