H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
great customer service s experience , self confidence , responsibility .
Specialiste en fiscalité (Current Employee), Gatineau, QCMarch 13, 2016
my opinion about a typical day at work is :
big responsibility when am doing the income tax declaration for customers and especially because the customers put their trusts on me .
the management is so important because i have to pay attention of every folder , to not match the papers between the customers .
we work as a team , we all have the team spirit .
the hardest part of the job is when i have something new to do , i have never seen it before , i am alone at the office , and the client have no time to wait , so i feel pressure .

the most enjoyable part of the job is when i finish a declaration and i find that it was well done which is give me a self confidence .
and day after day the communications with clients will be easier and more developed .
Friendly work environment
Income Tax Associate (Former Employee), Windsor, ONDecember 22, 2015
Pros: Management and staff are very supportive and knowledgeable.
Cons: Seasonal work. There is no advancement in the company.
1. Assisting clients with their concerns about their personal taxes

2. Working together with colleagues to solve problems

3. Handling phone calls and following procedures to handle difficult clients.

4. Updating files and filing taxes electronically
seasonal parti-time
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 22, 2015
Pros: Long hours
Cons: Less hours
Did not enjoy working at H&R block. Workers were too aggressive toward each others. They don't support each other. Management was unprofessional.
Productive fast paste work
Office Administrator / Receptionist (Current Employee), Transcona, MBNovember 5, 2015
Pros: lots to learn
Cons: seasonal
this job during tax season is fast paste. There are a vast range of clients and demands. In most part it is gratifying for me, as I learnt a lot from watching all the tax pros at work. Working with the all the financial aspects of taxes has been helpful in my learning the other side of doing taxes. One of the hardest part of the job is dealing with really irrate people during the tax season, but reassuring them has been challenging and gratifying at the same time. I get along with all office staff and management, we are a great team.
Very challenging work situation, good team building environment
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCMay 15, 2015
Pros: Free tax preparation for friends and family
Cons: Low Salary
Come in an hour early on my own time to prepare for the day.
Establish a comfortable relationship with each individual and ensure I was able to obtain all the necessary information to assure the most accurate tax accounting result.
Learned to listen to each client and provide advice on tax management for future years.
Team working was essential and coordination with co-workers was an essential part of the job.
The hardest part was advising clients that they had not managed their tax deductions wisely and they owed tax to Canada Revenue. The flip side was telling clients that they had a refund that they did not expect and celebrating that moment with them.
I gained valuable tax experience, office and customer service skills
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2016
Typical office day is busy and exciting in the sense that every taxpayer has his own tax circumstances. In order to address those needs, I learned how to cater to their specific needs using the information obtained from each client and my tax knowledge and skills. My co-workers have also helped me through and the manager provided us with the resources that we need to deliver quality service. Although I work on my own cubicle, it was also a collaborative effort to satisfy H&R clientele and that's what makes it enjoyable!
Great place to work, friendly co-workers, exceptional training provided and good mentors all around.
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 27, 2016
• Responsible for conducting client interviews and subsequently preparing accurate tax returns, such a way that the client pays the least possible amount of tax as prescribed by law.
• Implementing customer service and public relations programs, office procedures and reporting systems.
• Clarifying tax related client queries and reviewing the status of COD, Hold & Drop-off returns on an ongoing basis and following up with clients as necessary.
Great training experience; good people to work with.
Client Services Leader/Professional (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCApril 20, 2016
Pros: Good training program
Cons: Low pay
H&R Block has a great training program - taught me about income taxes and services to the client. Very busy during tax time and have to deal with people that are angry they have to pay taxes and don't want to wait for an appointment - was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was a client's happiness when you saved him/her money and they got a good tax refund. Co-workers very knowledgeable and hard working.
Learned to work independently without any manager in the office
Tax Professional (Current Employee), 270 Kingston Rd East, Ajax ON, L1Z 1G1April 6, 2016
I have a very good experience at working for H&R Block. With each going day, I am learning new things from my co-worker and from my clients too. I am managing the whole office on my own. This was the hardest part of my job, but it is turning into really an easy work for me.There has been days where clients went upset from the office, but there were other clients too who went happier than before.
Productive place during the tax season.
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Richmond, BCNovember 24, 2015
Helping customer preparing the tax return. Trying to minimize their tax payable. Management is always willing to help. Communicate with the customer effectively.
An alright place to work
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2016
Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to gain employment there.
Unorganized and very unprofessional.
I had a very rude manager who didn't know what she was talking about half the time and who was very unprofessional to clients.
She spoke of co-workers constantly and it was a bit of a turn off. I did not find her informative or educated at all.
You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Taber, ABOctober 3, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons: Owner sold the company
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Very Positive
Client Service Professional (Current Employee), Saint John, NBMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Great company and environment to work in.
Cons: Seasonal Employment
I enjoy working at H and R Block very much.
I've learned many skills to add to my resume ...unfortunately this position is only seasonal.
Productive and fun workplace.
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
I really enjoy this tax season. I get to know lot of people and get easily along with them. I make lot of friends while enjoying doing their taxes. This is an unforgettable experience. I also practice my tax course learn at school and getting very good at it each day passing.
Normal workplace, amazing co-workers
Customer Service Leader/Tax Pro (Current Employee), Newmarket, Barrie, Aurora, Richmond HillJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Good relationship with colleagues
Cons: Small payment
Gained great customer service experience, not satisfied with the management, the hardest part of the job is to handle a line of angry customers who were late with their tax filing, the most enjoyable part of the job is to talk with absolutely different people and provide them with good advices regarding taxation and after that to see smiles at their faces, liked to handle anger, liked to help seniors and customers with low income
Great Co-workers, busy and productive enviroment, fast pace which is perfect for me.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Whitehorse, YTApril 25, 2016
Generally I come into work at 7:40 and start mopping, sweeping, making coffee, and once that is done its time for costumers to come in. I usually start by filling files away, checking clients in and taking them back.
Diversified workplace with a friendly environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 6, 2015
Pros: The opportunity to do differnet type of tax returns and get to know different people
Cons: Seasonal
I had the opportunity of working with an interesting group of people with different skills sets. Most of the employees were retirees or seasonal workers. Everyone had something different to offer. It can be very busy toward the end of the tax season due to the cut off day. But as a team we were able to pull together and make the whole experience fun and positive.
Wonderful working experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
Pros: very helpful team leader
Cons: washroom is too far away from the office/unit
our office leader was so helpful... I learned a lot from her; co-workers were easy to get along with and the clients were varied but so nice ... the job itself is nice but the facilities need some work - the washroom is so far away from the office/unit
Great place to learn new things.
Financial Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Leamington, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: New experience
Cons: seasonal
Management was willing to work with me as this was a new career change. Dealt with alot of different personalities daily. Co- workers very patient and willing to help always.
Headquarters