H&R Block Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
Productive, help people to get the most out of their taxes, the management team is always there for support, workers work in a team environment, the most enjoyable part is when you actually make a difference in someone's life
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
High pressure in a Professional company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 January 2017
H&R Block is a very good company to learn to start. From them, you can learn a lot, from professional knoweldges, software, cultures, to professional mannus, they will teach you everything. But somehow, the pressure is high, and you have to adapt with.
Fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
I do love coming back every year just because i get along with my coworkers. Every years the government change plan have to adjust with it. meet all kind of people. I do love all my managers from Sudbury to Toronto.
Pros
Free tax
Cons
Short season
open and friendly work environment
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 January 2017
Learn taxes and advance every year. The general rule is every year you either teach a course or take a course. Management is wonderful, coworkers are helpful and there is always something to learn.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
the occasional Mean client
Great and friendly environment, I love this place.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON8 January 2017
Great and friendly environment, I love this place. You meet new people everyday, I had a chance to work with great staff and to exchange our experience
Pros
meet new people every day
Cons
seasonal work
Hectic and fun work place but lacks job security
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
Worked during tax season so it was very hectic. But was pleased with e training i received. The work culture is also very friendly.
Unsatisfied
District Operations Co-ordinator Calgary North (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
H&R Block for me is not a good place to work, there is no security, the pay is horrible, and there are no benefits.

I was promised permanent year round with OT during season and regular hrs after, I did get a lot of OT, but the after hrs were cut to less than 20 a week and if I wanted more hrs I had to take a cut in pay.

The training for 1st and 2nd yr tax pro's is not complete and they are left fundling throughout the yr as the experienced people (?) do not want to spend the time training anyone.

MGMT does not know anything about taxes as they are all new and have never taken the course.

Being a DOC my manager was hard to reach and when you did reach her was not very forth coming.

DOC training is all done over the phone....
Get to meet different types of people
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  CA9 December 2016
I learned a lot about the personal taxation and the also enjoyed preparing taxes for the clients as I enjoy working with numbers, this way was also able to help completing taxes for my family and friends as well as added benefit.
Pros
gained good tax knoledge
Cons
minimum salary for the technical work done
Flexibility in work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2016
Good company to work with. Good entry point for new immigrants to those who want to get into their Accounting and Finance fields.very good training to update knowledge.
Pros
Flexible timings, Learning opportunity, Provide updated knowledge every single year, Get to meet lot of people
Cons
to much greediness in some coworkers for getting more customers, No set procedure to allocate the returns as per Tax Level of the professional
Fast paced seasonal employement
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC10 November 2016
You are able to work according to your availability. Every tax season there are courses available for your own personal advancement in the company. It is really rewarding to help people get the most out of their tax returns.
Pros
Some free returns for family and friends
Fun Environment
Client Service Leader & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2016
Their pay could be better but they do encompass an organized and fun environment to work in. It is a high demanding job as it is during tax season but you also learn much needed skills in the business field
Fun workplace
Receptionist for tax season only (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2016
Jobs assigned to receptionists were appropriate and professional.
Picking up phone calls and booking appointments, filing.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
short lunches, no breaks
One of the best places to work at!!
CS & Branch Manger Business and Residential Taxing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
This job was again, one of my most favourite jobs. Flexible hours, everyone was super nice. Manager was great. Training available anytime you needed. Pay was a little less but overall a fun place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee!!
Cons
End of tax season meant extra working hours.
Management in Owen Sound Office
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 October 2016
Manager of the local HR Block has no people skills. I have many years experience in Customer Service, and I would have never spoken to clients they way the manager did.

We went from a busy office to a lot of extra time of sitting around waiting for clients.

Manager can often be heard yelling other staff as well as yell at a client because they did not understand what she was trying to explain. If the client understood income tax then they would not be a client. Manager should never talked down to clients or her staff.
Pros
helping cleints with their tax needs
Cons
a better manager
Mediocre place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
Don't need to be too smart to work at H&R Block. They hire anyone.
Not much else to say about this company. Why do I need to say more when there isn't much else to say.
Pros
6 month off
Cons
Staff
Fun work place in most of the offices.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB14 September 2016
Great people and flexible work schedule. Awesome managers who support you in the position as well as great training to maintain and develop knowledge and position. l
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
some offices not a great atmosphere
Great overall workplace.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Yonge & Steels (Centrepoint Mall)3 September 2016
Steady environment, you need to deal with an array of different people with different situations, co-workers and management are always available to assist with unknown or difficult issues that may arise.

The good part is taking 1 problem off peoples hands.

The bad part is not being able to solve all problems that come into the office.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
H&R Block
Office Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2016
• Trained and supervised new employee’s
• Used internal H & R accounting software
• Dealt with personal and business tax returns
• Analyzed fax from including T4,T2125,Travel expenses
• Processed cash and banking transactions
Wonderful people to work with.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2016
i spend over 12 years with this company and I was honoured to work with many of the fine and dedicated staff throughout the various tax offices.
funny and friendly enviroment to work at.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2016
Learn a lot about the basic knowledge about office work and income tax prepare. and also develop the customer service skills.

4.2