H&R Block Employee Reviews in Canada

funny and friendly enviroment to work at.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
Learn a lot about the basic knowledge about office work and income tax prepare. and also develop the customer service skills.
Productive lots of learning.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJune 17, 2016
Working in H&R Block has lots of learning..it helps a lot for future growth. Clients are very nice. Good Atmosphere to work. Good team work.
Pros
free learning
Cons
part time working after season of work
Costumer Service representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 16, 2016
Took phone calls and set up appointment for clients to see a tax expert.
Took cash,credit card or Debit transactions and balanced the daily cash flow at the end of the shift.
Also took walk in appointments when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Seasonal employment
It is fun to work there.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 15, 2016
1.On the busy day I will be preparing income tax for clients and on the slow day I will mark cold calls to clients and set up appointments.
2. I learn how to prepare different tax return.
3. The hardest part is dealing with unfriendly clients.
Pros
Learn more information about income tax.
Cons
Only seasonal job.
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 15, 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
easy job and mostly helping clients for their best tax returns
Tax Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJune 15, 2016
1. typical day at the job was calling clients and booking appointments.
2. i have learned tax laws and customer service skills.
3. hardest part of the job was to problem solving such as working around the file to get the maximum refund.
4. the enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of the customers.
nice
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 14, 2016
IT is a good experience if you are planning to tax. ive learned alot and work under pressure. I have enjoyed it alot got a long with most of the people I worked with at H&R block. District Manager is great though I didnt work much with her throughout the season
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NLJune 13, 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Best Platform for skilled newcomers
Tax Professional (Brampton District Office) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 13, 2016
Great hands on experience for oversea skilled accountants, they provide great platform and experience to accounting professionals
Good colleague and training
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJune 12, 2016
Very good working environment, friendly and helping colleagues, intensive training and continuous training provided.
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 10, 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
impressive work environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 6, 2016
People are friendly at H&R Block. There is not much hierarchical system that every employee helps each others. This is my first professional job to expand my knowledge. I interview my client and learn how to organize their folders in a proper form.
Pros
not heavy workload
Cons
fast space environment
Productive and Fun Workplace
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 2, 2016
It was both of a great learning and working experience at H&R Block, which I stayed from January 2016 to May 2nd 2016(the end of the tax season). Colleagues are willing to help each other and the most fun part was to see people from all walks of life. The managers were considerate and hard-working.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
I wish I could have been given more working hours.
Nice place to work at
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
Greet customer, escort them into the office. Get some information from the customer. Proceed to do their taxes. I have learned different areas of taxes. I have advanced every year with their schooling. My co-workers are a great bunch of people. The hardest part of my job was to tell a client that they had to pay taxes at the end of the year. The greatest part of my job was that I got to meet and work with lot of interesting people through the years.
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Enjoy serve people
Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 21, 2016
- Help client understand more what benefit they can qualify
- Make plan for them to work on deduct their tax in the future so they won't ow tax
- Good chance to meet nice people and make friend
- My co-workers is great to help me out what first year I have problem with computer
- sometimes is stress out with this job but at the end everything will go smoothly deadline
- Improve my confident to communication with different type of people
- My boss trained me well to give me lesson of tax in higher level as specially in Business Expense, Employment Expense, Senior Health expense, etc
Pros
Enjoy working, nothing complaint
Cons
N/A
Efficient and knowledgeable place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 20, 2016
I loved working here as it is the desired place I always wanted to work. I always wanted to work at an office with well dressed and sophisticated people around me. It gives me a professional feeling and brings the best in me. My work would start with greeting everyone with a smile by walking into everyone's cabin. This prepared me well for the day giving me an idea who's in to work and what their day is like. It also alert all the employees that I'm on and will be serving them. The employees were sweet and helpful, they ll believed in working as a team and were always there to help out each other. This made the entire office an attracted place to work at. The credit also goes to the management for keeping the flow of the office so great. Working around taxes gives you a chance to learn about others lives. This is a very practical thing in Canada and I learned a lot from it.
Pros
Flexible Hours, positive environment, neat and tidy offices.
Cons
Ran out of office supplies.
I had great time working at H&R Block
Tax professional (Former Employee) –  2000 Dundas streetMay 18, 2016
I learned a lot while working at H &R Block. I learned communication skills,co operate with team members,deal with clients etc.The most challenging part was convincing the clients the value of fee & enjoyable part was getting to know the clients .
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 18, 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients
Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONMay 16, 2016
Lots of work to keep you busy.
steady flow of clients, great coworkers, learning each day, short employment, as this is seasonal

4.3