H&R Block

3.9K reviews

H&R Block Employee Reviews

n/a
Tax Preparer Training (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 9, 2016
As a tranee I just attending class. I love to study this Tax Course. I'm very glad that I passed the course with flying colours. I'm planning to continue in this field in the future.
Great place to work for
District Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 6, 2016
My only reason for leaving was due to my husband being relocated for his job. Other wise I would have been there for another 15 years!
Friendly work environment
Income Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 22, 2015
1. Assisting clients with their concerns about their personal taxes

2. Working together with colleagues to solve problems

3. Handling phone calls and following procedures to handle difficult clients.

4. Updating files and filing taxes electronically
Pros
Management and staff are very supportive and knowledgeable.
Cons
Seasonal work. There is no advancement in the company.
Fun working with people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONDecember 20, 2015
Always interested to interact with others. I did worked for 4 seasons with H&R Blockand always have fun to come back. Sometime stressfull but still, i like helping people as much i can
Wonderful working experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
our office leader was so helpful... I learned a lot from her; co-workers were easy to get along with and the clients were varied but so nice ... the job itself is nice but the facilities need some work - the washroom is so far away from the office/unit
Pros
very helpful team leader
Cons
washroom is too far away from the office/unit
Great Seasonal Employment
Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 25, 2015
Enjoyed being a part of the team. It was like an extended family. I love working with people and enjoyed the contact. There was a great pleasure in being able to help all types of people and circumstances. As an instructor, it gave a level of accomplishment
and satisfaction that will always be one of my best memories.
Productive place during the tax season.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCNovember 24, 2015
Helping customer preparing the tax return. Trying to minimize their tax payable. Management is always willing to help. Communicate with the customer effectively.
seasonal parti-time
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 22, 2015
Did not enjoy working at H&R block. Workers were too aggressive toward each others. They don't support each other. Management was unprofessional.
Pros
Cons
Less hours
Productive and fun place to work
District Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, OntarioNovember 19, 2015
Assist people with their tax returns. Also making calls to set up appointments with prior clients as well as new. also all aspects of HR duties
Pros
Very friendly staff
Cons
Seasonal
Productive customer service
Tax preparer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONNovember 7, 2015
At H&R Block we help clients with their taxes and we give them the best advices. the job could get stressful some days but overall thanks to the office team who always make sure that the work is split between them and always try to make it as fun as possible.
Cons
stressful
Diversified workplace with a friendly environment
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 6, 2015
I had the opportunity of working with an interesting group of people with different skills sets. Most of the employees were retirees or seasonal workers. Everyone had something different to offer. It can be very busy toward the end of the tax season due to the cut off day. But as a team we were able to pull together and make the whole experience fun and positive.
Pros
The opportunity to do differnet type of tax returns and get to know different people
Cons
Seasonal
great job
Tax associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 5, 2015
I loved my work at H&R Block and can not wait for the new season for 2016.
I enjoyed the team that I was placed with and never felt like I was left out on my own to handle problems they really helped you help others.
Productive fast paste work
Office Administrator / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Transcona, MBNovember 5, 2015
this job during tax season is fast paste. There are a vast range of clients and demands. In most part it is gratifying for me, as I learnt a lot from watching all the tax pros at work. Working with the all the financial aspects of taxes has been helpful in my learning the other side of doing taxes. One of the hardest part of the job is dealing with really irrate people during the tax season, but reassuring them has been challenging and gratifying at the same time. I get along with all office staff and management, we are a great team.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
seasonal
Seasonal work
Client Service Leader -Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Enjoyed working for H&R Block for the season,

Was great to gain insight on taxes and to work with such wonderful staff

Was kept busy to make the days go by fast
Cons
Seasonal
I love this job.
Receptionist (CSP) (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 23, 2015
After a few years of not working in the "Clerical" field, they gave me a change. Even if it's only a few months out of the year, they opened doors for me that were close for a long time. I would work there year round if I could.
Productive and friendly work place
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 20, 2015
Some times was very busy. I can learn a lots of knowledge from my job and earned much experiences as every case was difference. The hardest part of the job was when there were lack of original documents, like missing T4's or other document.
Seasonal work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCOctober 6, 2015
answer questions for tax
Preparing taxes for individuals
associate in taxation - during tax season Feb to May
only worked for 4 hrs a day and it all involved preparing taxes for individual walk in customers.
Pros
all aspects of the job
Cons
Seasonal
You would have to try it
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Taber, ABOctober 3, 2015
Enjoyed the work, fellow employees were great, but management is not very good to employees. One always got the feeling that you were being watched and basically not fun place to work for sure . Employees were scared and not standing up for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Would be nice if it were cheerful there.
Friendly, fast-paced work environment with excellent coworkers
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEOctober 2, 2015
I worked from mid-February to the end of April preparing tax returns for clients. My coworkers were very supportive and patient with me as I learned how to prepare income taxes.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONSeptember 28, 2015
H & R Block during tax season is a very fast pace, high pressure, demanding job with very tight dead lines. The job also requires the ability to be exceptional with multi tasking skills and endurance for excessive hours, often putting in overtime hours to get the job completed on time. It also requires a high need for confidentiality as well as being sympathetic as you are dealing with financial situation for people, I thrived and loved this job and the owner each year gave me more responsibility to the point he would be away from the office for 2 or 3 days a week leaving me in charge of the company. He was also always able to keep everyone on the lighter side when things got extremely busy in the office.
Pros
working with the public, Great off season hours
Cons
Owner sold the company

4.2