H&R Block Employee Reviews

Unsatisfied
District Operations Co-ordinator Calgary North (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
H&R Block for me is not a good place to work, there is no security, the pay is horrible, and there are no benefits.

I was promised permanent year round with OT during season and regular hrs after, I did get a lot of OT, but the after hrs were cut to less than 20 a week and if I wanted more hrs I had to take a cut in pay.

The training for 1st and 2nd yr tax pro's is not complete and they are left fundling throughout the yr as the experienced people (?) do not want to spend the time training anyone.

MGMT does not know anything about taxes as they are all new and have never taken the course.

Being a DOC my manager was hard to reach and when you did reach her was not very forth coming.

DOC training is all done over the phone....
Average place to work
Office Coordinator/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB17 January 2017
Staff is good to work with. Management seems to never be around or communicate on the same level. Other wise its a great place to work, during tax season is the busiest time and where you have to comment your time 110%. Sometimes personal family issues come into play or may inter-fear and management make you chose your job ( especially during peak tax season which isn't fair) Any other time of the year they are ok to work with
Flexibility in work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2016
Good company to work with. Good entry point for new immigrants to those who want to get into their Accounting and Finance fields.very good training to update knowledge.
Pros
Flexible timings, Learning opportunity, Provide updated knowledge every single year, Get to meet lot of people
Cons
to much greediness in some coworkers for getting more customers, No set procedure to allocate the returns as per Tax Level of the professional
Management in Owen Sound Office
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 October 2016
Manager of the local HR Block has no people skills. I have many years experience in Customer Service, and I would have never spoken to clients they way the manager did.

We went from a busy office to a lot of extra time of sitting around waiting for clients.

Manager can often be heard yelling other staff as well as yell at a client because they did not understand what she was trying to explain. If the client understood income tax then they would not be a client. Manager should never talked down to clients or her staff.
Pros
helping cleints with their tax needs
Cons
a better manager
Get to meet different types of people
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  CA9 December 2016
I learned a lot about the personal taxation and the also enjoyed preparing taxes for the clients as I enjoy working with numbers, this way was also able to help completing taxes for my family and friends as well as added benefit.
Pros
gained good tax knoledge
Cons
minimum salary for the technical work done
Great overall workplace.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Yonge & Steels (Centrepoint Mall)3 September 2016
Steady environment, you need to deal with an array of different people with different situations, co-workers and management are always available to assist with unknown or difficult issues that may arise.

The good part is taking 1 problem off peoples hands.

The bad part is not being able to solve all problems that come into the office.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
One of the best places to work at!!
CS & Branch Manger Business and Residential Taxing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
This job was again, one of my most favourite jobs. Flexible hours, everyone was super nice. Manager was great. Training available anytime you needed. Pay was a little less but overall a fun place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee!!
Cons
End of tax season meant extra working hours.
Fast paced seasonal employement
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC10 November 2016
You are able to work according to your availability. Every tax season there are courses available for your own personal advancement in the company. It is really rewarding to help people get the most out of their tax returns.
Pros
Some free returns for family and friends
High pressure in a Professional company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 January 2017
H&R Block is a very good company to learn to start. From them, you can learn a lot, from professional knoweldges, software, cultures, to professional mannus, they will teach you everything. But somehow, the pressure is high, and you have to adapt with.
Fun place to work
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
Productive, help people to get the most out of their taxes, the management team is always there for support, workers work in a team environment, the most enjoyable part is when you actually make a difference in someone's life
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
open and friendly work environment
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 January 2017
Learn taxes and advance every year. The general rule is every year you either teach a course or take a course. Management is wonderful, coworkers are helpful and there is always something to learn.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
the occasional Mean client
Fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
I do love coming back every year just because i get along with my coworkers. Every years the government change plan have to adjust with it. meet all kind of people. I do love all my managers from Sudbury to Toronto.
Pros
Free tax
Cons
Short season
Great and friendly environment, I love this place.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON8 January 2017
Great and friendly environment, I love this place. You meet new people everyday, I had a chance to work with great staff and to exchange our experience
Pros
meet new people every day
Cons
seasonal work
Fun Environment
Client Service Leader & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2016
Their pay could be better but they do encompass an organized and fun environment to work in. It is a high demanding job as it is during tax season but you also learn much needed skills in the business field
Fun work place in most of the offices.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB14 September 2016
Great people and flexible work schedule. Awesome managers who support you in the position as well as great training to maintain and develop knowledge and position. l
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
some offices not a great atmosphere
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 June 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NL13 June 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
Nice place to work at
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
Greet customer, escort them into the office. Get some information from the customer. Proceed to do their taxes. I have learned different areas of taxes. I have advanced every year with their schooling. My co-workers are a great bunch of people. The hardest part of my job was to tell a client that they had to pay taxes at the end of the year. The greatest part of my job was that I got to meet and work with lot of interesting people through the years.
Fun workplace
Receptionist for tax season only (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2016
Jobs assigned to receptionists were appropriate and professional.
Picking up phone calls and booking appointments, filing.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
short lunches, no breaks

4.2