H&R Block Employee Reviews

Flexibility in work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2016
Good company to work with. Good entry point for new immigrants to those who want to get into their Accounting and Finance fields.very good training to update knowledge.
Pros
Flexible timings, Learning opportunity, Provide updated knowledge every single year, Get to meet lot of people
Cons
to much greediness in some coworkers for getting more customers, No set procedure to allocate the returns as per Tax Level of the professional
Management in Owen Sound Office
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 October 2016
Manager of the local HR Block has no people skills. I have many years experience in Customer Service, and I would have never spoken to clients they way the manager did.

We went from a busy office to a lot of extra time of sitting around waiting for clients.

Manager can often be heard yelling other staff as well as yell at a client because they did not understand what she was trying to explain. If the client understood income tax then they would not be a client. Manager should never talked down to clients or her staff.
Pros
helping cleints with their tax needs
Cons
a better manager
Great overall workplace.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Yonge & Steels (Centrepoint Mall)3 September 2016
Steady environment, you need to deal with an array of different people with different situations, co-workers and management are always available to assist with unknown or difficult issues that may arise.

The good part is taking 1 problem off peoples hands.

The bad part is not being able to solve all problems that come into the office.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Get to meet different types of people
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  CA9 December 2016
I learned a lot about the personal taxation and the also enjoyed preparing taxes for the clients as I enjoy working with numbers, this way was also able to help completing taxes for my family and friends as well as added benefit.
Pros
gained good tax knoledge
Cons
minimum salary for the technical work done
One of the best places to work at!!
CS & Branch Manger Business and Residential Taxing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2016
This job was again, one of my most favourite jobs. Flexible hours, everyone was super nice. Manager was great. Training available anytime you needed. Pay was a little less but overall a fun place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee!!
Cons
End of tax season meant extra working hours.
Fast paced seasonal employement
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC10 November 2016
You are able to work according to your availability. Every tax season there are courses available for your own personal advancement in the company. It is really rewarding to help people get the most out of their tax returns.
Pros
Some free returns for family and friends
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 June 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NL13 June 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
Nice place to work at
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
Greet customer, escort them into the office. Get some information from the customer. Proceed to do their taxes. I have learned different areas of taxes. I have advanced every year with their schooling. My co-workers are a great bunch of people. The hardest part of my job was to tell a client that they had to pay taxes at the end of the year. The greatest part of my job was that I got to meet and work with lot of interesting people through the years.
Fun work place in most of the offices.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB14 September 2016
Great people and flexible work schedule. Awesome managers who support you in the position as well as great training to maintain and develop knowledge and position. l
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
some offices not a great atmosphere
Fun Environment
Client Service Leader & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2016
Their pay could be better but they do encompass an organized and fun environment to work in. It is a high demanding job as it is during tax season but you also learn much needed skills in the business field
easy job and mostly helping clients for their best tax returns
Tax Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 June 2016
1. typical day at the job was calling clients and booking appointments.
2. i have learned tax laws and customer service skills.
3. hardest part of the job was to problem solving such as working around the file to get the maximum refund.
4. the enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of the customers.
Productive and fun with client to discuss different topics
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 May 2016
A typical day at work is every client need to do tax return.
I have learned how to get missing information from Canada Revenue Agency.
Management is lawful and professional.
Co-workers are helpful,
Hardest part of the job is when missing information or slips.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when client get more and accurate tax return.
Productive and Fun Workplace
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2016
It was both of a great learning and working experience at H&R Block, which I stayed from January 2016 to May 2nd 2016(the end of the tax season). Colleagues are willing to help each other and the most fun part was to see people from all walks of life. The managers were considerate and hard-working.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
I wish I could have been given more working hours.
Enjoy serve people
Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 May 2016
- Help client understand more what benefit they can qualify
- Make plan for them to work on deduct their tax in the future so they won't ow tax
- Good chance to meet nice people and make friend
- My co-workers is great to help me out what first year I have problem with computer
- sometimes is stress out with this job but at the end everything will go smoothly deadline
- Improve my confident to communication with different type of people
- My boss trained me well to give me lesson of tax in higher level as specially in Business Expense, Employment Expense, Senior Health expense, etc
Pros
Enjoy working, nothing complaint
Cons
N/A
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 May 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients
Cons
It is fun to work there.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 June 2016
1.On the busy day I will be preparing income tax for clients and on the slow day I will mark cold calls to clients and set up appointments.
2. I learn how to prepare different tax return.
3. The hardest part is dealing with unfriendly clients.
Pros
Learn more information about income tax.
Cons
Only seasonal job.
The experience i have learned
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2016
Working at H&R Block was a great experience. I learned alot of new thinks like printing Western Union checks for clients that were in-tiled to a refund, doing PWR, AFR, booking appointments,answer calls,end of day cash out, contacting clients to pay balances outstanding, and last but not least i love meeting new people and just talking to pass time. Overall the company was a great work place, co-workers were friendly and so was management.
Pros
Your personal taxes are done for free
Cons
Sometimes it was to quite

4.3