H&R Block Employee Reviews

Great Place
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 May 2017
I loved working at H&R Block and putting my expertise at work to help people get as much of a return when filing their taxes as possible or paying as little as possible if they owed on their tax return. I was rather sad that the contract was ending as we were getting close to the deadline for filing taxes, the end of tax season.
Productive and fun workplace with great culture
Tax Professionals (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2017
Great and fun seasonal job with many learning opportunities. Amazing workplace culture with much support from Managers and Senior Tax Professionals. Great team to work with. Flexible working hours.
Pros
flexible working hours, great support from Senior Tax Professionals and Managers
Cons
seasonal job with very limited of benefits
Productive,have fun helping the people of their taxes
Tax Professional -Level 1 (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
In doing a through interviews to the client , it makes me feel accomplished specially the client is satisfied of what you are been doing of their taxes. I learned so much in how to handle different people and different scenarios of lives. In terms, of management they are organized in compliance of the company rules. The hardest part I encountered if the client suffered and owing, and trying to explaining and helping the client how to rid of for that. Of course, if there is a difficult of the job , there's also an enjoyable part like the client satisfied of what you have been explain it to them and getting a refund beyond on there expectation.
Pros
Client satisfactory
Cons
Can't solve the problem
You are at the mercy of Office Leader and the District Leader
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON18 May 2017
If either one takes a disliking to you, you will not be working much, if and when you do get to work, it will be up to the Office Leader to allocate the tax returns to you! So if you are not "in the good books" you will not be working much" if you are not working much, you will not reach your quota for the season, which will result in you not returning the following year!
Pros
Not Many if at all
Cons
Pay rate, Bonus is a joke
Enjoyable
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB17 May 2017
Very interesting place to work. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable about all information that is required for the position.Its based on contract work but has benefits to becoming an all year round position.
Love my job but the pay is not enough if you want to do it for a living
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON17 May 2017
I like to work for H&R Block but it 's only a seasonal job and the pay is low even with the commission. It would be great if it was a full time permanent position.
Stressful, hectic place to work
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2017
Fast paced, long hours, low pay, huge amount of responsibilities from both company and government. Senior management out of touch with client objectives and daily office workings-change goals and procedures frequently.Company too focused on satisfying shareholders. Told repeatedly to push company offerings clients simply did not want.Training and expertise of staff deteriorating making for angry clients. Advancement, accreditation and privileges based on who you know not what you know. With the right mix of office staff, it can be fun at times, though. Enjoyed meeting, helping and educating MANY clients.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Low pay
Unorganized
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 May 2017
The Windsor district has a hard time keeping good employees. They do expect a lot from people without providing appropriate in office support for new employees. Scheduling was a mess
Challenging yet rewarding job.
Income Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
Learned to prepare simple to complex tax returns and file tax returns using electronic software. Interview clients to get a thorough picture of their financial situation. Recommend additional services available. Uncover potential deductions and credits and advise against potential tax liabilities. Uphold the promise to deliver the maximum refund guarantee under the law of government. Establish outstanding business relationship with existing clients and build strong rapport with clients in order to spread work-of-mouth referrals from existing clients. Overall, a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Learning about the complexity of the Canadian Income Tax System, work with a great team of Tax Professionals
Cons
Work hours require flexibility. During peak weeks during the tax season, overtime but during less busy weeks, hours can be reduced.
fun workplace managment is great
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB11 May 2017
The scores I gave are due to the work time is only a few months which you don't qualify for any type of medical benefits. But over all a great environment to work.
Terribly managed company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2017
Management only cares about making money and seeing as many clients through the door as possible. Training was lacking, and senior staff were too motivated to complete their own work to take any time to train new staff. Communication was seriously lacking, as staff were not given company emails. There was no means of effectively communicating with other staff in the office that worked different shifts, and District Managers were not very good at writing effective emails; BCC function was not used, emails were paragraphs long with no effective headers and not to the point. The company internal website was difficult to navigate and did not provide any sort of notification when updates were made. Scheduling for part time staff was so disorganized.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
training and communication lacking, low pay, low "bonus", no benefits
Nice job. Low wages
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
Job is very nice; however, wages are close to minimum. Tax season is very intense and stressful, but manageable. Coworkers are very nice, as well as management team.
Pros
get to meet people and help them with their tax situation
Cons
low wage
Great co - workers, poor upper management
First Year Tax Pro (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 May 2017
I was a first year tax preparer and although the job can be fast paced and somewhat challenging, I enjoyed the work and found the office staff helpful and great to work with! The payment software could be troublesome at times and as a tax pro I wish I had better training with that software.
The pay was just above minimum... and I found it hard to justify the extra workload (second job) for the wage.
The district management was poor. Little to no knowledge of tax prep or CRA. Even H&R Block policies were not known (i.e. the max for a cash back).
I was not able to complete the last week of the tax season due to my limited availability. I originally was told that I was to work what I was available for and I made sure to let them know in advance my available hours. When I received my Record of Employment it stated that I quit. When I inquired why my ROE stated I quit, the district manager said;
"We need to put a reason down and you quit so that was the reason."
No sympathy or further explanation. They were not even able to show me the employment contract.
For seasonal work... definitely not worth the months of training.
Pros
Great office staff and senior tax pros
Cons
Poor upper management and pay
Called Clients and booked their appointments
Client Connect Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 April 2017
Client connect decided which days it did and did not want to work. When it worked I was happy and often enjoyed my work. However when it did not work I often became frustrated and very sleepy.
Pros
My office staff were extremely nice.
Cons
Client connect often didn't work.
Great Place to work , but Shady District Managers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2017
Basic Clerical Office work, not very challenging if you have common sense. unreasonable pricing for tax returns ( this is coming from an employee) some of management know nothing about taxes and CRA. great work life balance as the schedules are to your own choosing. Minimum wage . no real advancement as you'd have to pay from your own pocket for training.
Pros
Easy work, Clerical Experience
Cons
Overpriced services which leads to frustrated customers
environnement agreable
Agente de L'impôt (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON19 April 2017
J'arrive toujours 15 a 20 min. d'avance.
J'ouvre mon poste de travaille.
Je classe les dossiers.
Accueille les clients, j'ouvre leurs dossiers.
Je prends les papiers du clients en prenant biens soins d'avoir toutes informations requises.
Réponds au téléphone
ive worked for 2 seasons now at H & R Block, and i love it!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2017
I love my staff, I love working here I hope to come back again next year and perhaps do taxes this time :) im thinking about taking the course and becoming a tax pro professional!
Great people and fast pasted.
Tax Pro Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2017
Loved the other consultants and working here was the best. clients were friendly, bosses were awesome. training was quick and easy. would love to work here again.
Excellent
Meticulous data entry (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC17 April 2017
I have no complaints about H&R Block they are an amazing company to work for seasonally. The management remembers you, and takes into consideration of your needs.
H&R block
Receptionist/ Assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2017
This company can be a great place to work however depending on the team you are placed with you could end up in a petty situation. And it's only a temporary job.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
It's only seasonal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2