H&R Block Employee Reviews

fun and friendly
Receptionist/CSR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2017
great place to work , very friendly , it was only part time but they are very fun and easy to get along with really I enjoyed working there . very professional .
seasonal job
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2017
A seasonal job
enjoy meeting with clients
a good learning and working experience
not a permanent job
no benefit
provides an excellent customer services training
Good place to get new expriences
Tax Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 November 2017
I took different level courses in this company. Every customer has its own document which was different with another one. Very good place to achieve new experience.
Very good experience in Tax preparation
Tax Professional, Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2017
Excellent training
Excellent management
Excellent experience in tax preparation
Friendly environment
Creative work space
You can be helpful to many people with different situations
exciting and good customer service.
Income Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON24 October 2017
understand the tax system in canada and enjoyed working with numbers.

Helping to the clients about their question and like the customers service.
It is a seasonal part time job.
Pros
fun with working with numbers
Cons
seasonal part-time
Flexible and Learning Experience
Tax Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 October 2017
Working at H&R Block taught me how to work quickly, and efficiently under pressure. Having clients sit with you while preparing their tax returns allowed me to gain valuable experience in dealing with people, as well as having to master communication skills.

H&R Block was very flexible with scheduling, which I appreciated. There was a great training, and always other associates that you could call on for assistance if required.
Was great
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON22 October 2017
It was great when I was there. My supervisors were really knowledge and hard working. It definitely feels like a team environment. I wasn't too please when we had to start selling the H&R block refund cards it felt like a scam.
Pros
Great supervisors
Cons
turned into selling H&R block cards
fun place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB20 October 2017
it was lit
there was a good environment
it is a great starter job
it always felt very welcoming
they were always very cheerful
They were very helpful
For newcomers or people with few experience in Canada, this is a good place to star.
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2017
During the Tax Season I usually work at the same office and the team there is awesome. I enjoy my job and the work environment, plus is close to my home.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
There is no commission payment after the tax season is over.
Busy Place
senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC17 October 2017
great experience. I enjoyed the busy atmosphere and enjoyed gaining new clientele.Everyone worked together , sharing their expertise in different situations

Want to know more about H&R Block?

Ask a question
Flexible time for work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS14 October 2017
H&R Block provide every employee a flexible time to work each week. The office manager will schedule everyone's working time one week before based on everyone's available time.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
instability
Tax Preparation
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS12 October 2017
I enjoyed working with the people of the company, however I do not agree with many of the policies of this company. Being unable to tell a client what the cost of there return will be without actually completing it first as well as the high prices that are charged. As well, I do not believe I should have to pay them for additional training which benefits them while they pay little more than minimum wage. I also do not like pushing products on people when I don't believe they need them.
Pros
The other staff.
Cons
Corporate management with no thought for individuals.
Dangereux
Directrice de bureau et fiscaliste (Former Employee) –  Mascouche, QC12 October 2017
Nos sommes souvent seul dans le bureau et on a de grosses sommes d'argent.
negative
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  The Pas, MB3 October 2017
I did not a have a very positive experience, I was grateful for the opportunity. However; my boss made it very difficult. My advice to the company would be to build a much more positive environment and take care of the workers.
Pros
no cost for tax
Cons
late cheque dates
Horrible Owners to work for
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB3 October 2017
During my time with this company I was treated poorly. Provided misleading information from the owners. Forced to work OT hours at regular pay, was told that labour standards did not apply as I had signed an employment contract. I was also told that there was no WCB coverage for us "office" staff, even after an injury that I still have problems with.
Great Learning Experience
Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK3 October 2017
H&R Block was a fantastic learnig experience and it really complimented my education. I learned a lot about taxation and scheduling, it was also a great experiece as far as workplace ethics and work relationships were concerned.
Nice Place to Work
Tax Professional, Tax Course Instuctor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 October 2017
H&R Block is a great place to work if you have a great DM and DOC. Great life/work balance, you can choose if you want to work full time, part time, if you are ok with overtimes.
Cons
National office doesn't understand how field offices work
challenging work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 October 2017
very fast paced work environment, great learning opportunites.

Great variety of situations exposed to.

Work with some great people.

best part of job is helping people!
Excellent place to have a long term career
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 September 2017
Thorough training that starts in the Fall with minimal hours is great for my schedule.

There are many long term colleagues that truly make you feel like you're part of a team and are there to help you when you need it.

There is room for advancement (and it is encouraged), with your fellow team members working thru everything with you which makes it easier.

The freedom of setting the hours you work is a great bonus as I can work as much or as little as I choose. If I want to take the summer off and only work during tax season, this job affords me that luxury.

Every return is reviewed by management for accuracy so I can talk with my client and have great confidence the return I have prepared has been done correctly. This gives great Peace of Mind to me and my clients.

One of the hard parts about the job is you have to be quite detail oriented and you have to like working with numbers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is A:) my co-workers and B:) making a difference in people's lives. My accuracy with their tax return and finding that extra $100 credit for them could be the difference in having the funds to cover their bills or not.
Pros
Flexible hours, hands-on learning, room for advancement, Strive for accuracy as a team
Cons
If you can't handle working with numbers and fine detail work, this is not for you.
verry good
Client service Profeesional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2017
good place work. learned lot of new thing every day and basic bookkeeping. the management is good. the hardest part of work in H&R Block was when client was angry and strewed up .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2