H&R Block Employee Reviews

Unsatisfied
District Operations Co-ordinator Calgary North (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
H&R Block for me is not a good place to work, there is no security, the pay is horrible, and there are no benefits.

I was promised permanent year round with OT during season and regular hrs after, I did get a lot of OT, but the after hrs were cut to less than 20 a week and if I wanted more hrs I had to take a cut in pay.

The training for 1st and 2nd yr tax pro's is not complete and they are left fundling throughout the yr as the experienced people (?) do not want to spend the time training anyone.

MGMT does not know anything about taxes as they are all new and have never taken the course.

Being a DOC my manager was hard to reach and when you did reach her was not very forth coming.

DOC training is all done over the phone....
Company in termoil
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2016
H&R Block has experienced high rates of turnover with the management staff over the past 3 years. There is not a sense of job security. Decisions with pricing lost many customers and their decision to hold back tax professional bonus to compensate for their poor earning has lost a lot of staff. I loved the job and the staff at district level however it was very difficult to work for the new management who has now let go of 75% of their field staff.
Pros
Pay, Job responsibilities
Cons
lack of clear expectations
Average place to work
Office Coordinator/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Flin Flon, MB17 January 2017
Staff is good to work with. Management seems to never be around or communicate on the same level. Other wise its a great place to work, during tax season is the busiest time and where you have to comment your time 110%. Sometimes personal family issues come into play or may inter-fear and management make you chose your job ( especially during peak tax season which isn't fair) Any other time of the year they are ok to work with
Get to meet different types of people
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  CA9 December 2016
I learned a lot about the personal taxation and the also enjoyed preparing taxes for the clients as I enjoy working with numbers, this way was also able to help completing taxes for my family and friends as well as added benefit.
Pros
gained good tax knoledge
Cons
minimum salary for the technical work done
Fast paced seasonal employement
Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC10 November 2016
You are able to work according to your availability. Every tax season there are courses available for your own personal advancement in the company. It is really rewarding to help people get the most out of their tax returns.
Pros
Some free returns for family and friends
Excellent work environment which promotes working as a team
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 June 2016
I work for H&R Block on a seasonal basis ( which is the nature of the beast when you are working only during tax season). I thoroughly enjoy working here and look forward to returning again for the 2017 tax season. There is plenty of room for advancement within this company and they look out for their employees. A wonderful working experience!
Pros
Incentives to reach goals and rewarded through gift cards, staff lunches, family and friends discounts
Cons
Gets busy VERY quickly, need to be able to troubleshoot in-office problems in a timely manner ie: software glitches, long wait times etc.
High pressure in a Professional company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 January 2017
H&R Block is a very good company to learn to start. From them, you can learn a lot, from professional knoweldges, software, cultures, to professional mannus, they will teach you everything. But somehow, the pressure is high, and you have to adapt with.
Flexible hours, and kept me on my toes
Senior Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
The typical work day for me was to prepare peoples taxes, help setting up appointments for customers and assist the reception when the office gets busy. I have learned a lot from the job, my customer service skills got sharper as each customer comes in with some dissatisfaction from the tax associates outside the company and sometimes inside the company. I have always tried to explain to the best of my ability to customers what is important on their returns and to be wary next year. Sometimes, management tries to help in tough situations, but I always manage to calm customers down on the phone or face-to-face, I enjoyed the high-stress situations it is like I work better when I am stressed. The hardest parts oft the job always made me feel like I can tackle it.
Pros
Keeps me on my feet
Cons
open and friendly work environment
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 January 2017
Learn taxes and advance every year. The general rule is every year you either teach a course or take a course. Management is wonderful, coworkers are helpful and there is always something to learn.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
the occasional Mean client
Great overall workplace.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Yonge & Steels (Centrepoint Mall)3 September 2016
Steady environment, you need to deal with an array of different people with different situations, co-workers and management are always available to assist with unknown or difficult issues that may arise.

The good part is taking 1 problem off peoples hands.

The bad part is not being able to solve all problems that come into the office.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Hectic and fun work place but lacks job security
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2017
Worked during tax season so it was very hectic. But was pleased with e training i received. The work culture is also very friendly.
Efficient and knowledgeable place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 May 2016
I loved working here as it is the desired place I always wanted to work. I always wanted to work at an office with well dressed and sophisticated people around me. It gives me a professional feeling and brings the best in me. My work would start with greeting everyone with a smile by walking into everyone's cabin. This prepared me well for the day giving me an idea who's in to work and what their day is like. It also alert all the employees that I'm on and will be serving them. The employees were sweet and helpful, they ll believed in working as a team and were always there to help out each other. This made the entire office an attracted place to work at. The credit also goes to the management for keeping the flow of the office so great. Working around taxes gives you a chance to learn about others lives. This is a very practical thing in Canada and I learned a lot from it.
Pros
Flexible Hours, positive environment, neat and tidy offices.
Cons
Ran out of office supplies.
Management in Owen Sound Office
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 October 2016
Manager of the local HR Block has no people skills. I have many years experience in Customer Service, and I would have never spoken to clients they way the manager did.

We went from a busy office to a lot of extra time of sitting around waiting for clients.

Manager can often be heard yelling other staff as well as yell at a client because they did not understand what she was trying to explain. If the client understood income tax then they would not be a client. Manager should never talked down to clients or her staff.
Pros
helping cleints with their tax needs
Cons
a better manager
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Torbay, NL13 June 2016
A typical day at work involved me opening up the office, checking voicemails, booking appointments and trying to accommodate as many clients per day as possible. The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the busyness of peak during tax season to make sure each client was served on time, and being the only one running the office was a of of responsibility but I appreciated the experience and I learned a lot and enjoyed it
Cons
Great place to learn new things.
Financial Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON20 April 2016
Management was willing to work with me as this was a new career change. Dealt with alot of different personalities daily. Co- workers very patient and willing to help always.
Pros
New experience
Cons
seasonal
Flexibility in work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2016
Good company to work with. Good entry point for new immigrants to those who want to get into their Accounting and Finance fields.very good training to update knowledge.
Pros
Flexible timings, Learning opportunity, Provide updated knowledge every single year, Get to meet lot of people
Cons
to much greediness in some coworkers for getting more customers, No set procedure to allocate the returns as per Tax Level of the professional
great customer service s experience , self confidence , responsibility .
Specialiste en fiscalité (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC13 March 2016
my opinion about a typical day at work is :
big responsibility when am doing the income tax declaration for customers and especially because the customers put their trusts on me .
the management is so important because i have to pay attention of every folder , to not match the papers between the customers .
we work as a team , we all have the team spirit .
the hardest part of the job is when i have something new to do , i have never seen it before , i am alone at the office , and the client have no time to wait , so i feel pressure .

the most enjoyable part of the job is when i finish a declaration and i find that it was well done which is give me a self confidence .
and day after day the communications with clients will be easier and more developed .
The experience i have learned
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2016
Working at H&R Block was a great experience. I learned alot of new thinks like printing Western Union checks for clients that were in-tiled to a refund, doing PWR, AFR, booking appointments,answer calls,end of day cash out, contacting clients to pay balances outstanding, and last but not least i love meeting new people and just talking to pass time. Overall the company was a great work place, co-workers were friendly and so was management.
Pros
Your personal taxes are done for free
Cons
Sometimes it was to quite
Productive and fun with client to discuss different topics
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 May 2016
A typical day at work is every client need to do tax return.
I have learned how to get missing information from Canada Revenue Agency.
Management is lawful and professional.
Co-workers are helpful,
Hardest part of the job is when missing information or slips.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when client get more and accurate tax return.
Fun place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 May 2016
I process about 15 to 20 people per day. Everybody has a different situation with tax made the job more challenging and made me really listen to their issues and problems.

As a prior I had to train 2 to 3 new tax pros at the time was challenging when I had my own customers scheduling for my time.

Most enjoyable moments are when they appreciate how hard I work for them to find more refunds hiding somewhere.
Pros
meeting clients

4.2