H&M Employee Reviews

Everyone was energetic and friendly
Sales Associate, retail (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2016
This was a co-op job placement, everyday I would help unload the trucks and clean the changing rooms, help the costumers as well as other employees whom needed it.
The hardest part about this job was not knowing where the clothes went in the store, for the beginning of the time that I've worked there. Though I caught on fast.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with new people everyday, getting to know all the other employees and my boss.
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON5 February 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB2 February 2016
I worked here basically my whole working life. there is plenty of room for advancement. the management is very accommodating. and I am still great friends with people I worked with
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2016
H&M is the best retail company to work. Why? They believe in people and we are one team. Everyone that works at H&M are family.
Pros
You can be yourself
Environnement de travail très agréable
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, ON24 January 2016
Les journées chez H&M sont toujours différentes et surtout intéressantes. En tant que Vendeuse conseil, mes tâches sont entre autre de faire de la caisse, du service à la clientèle, gérer les cabines d'essayages, et effectuer d'autres tâches connexes. Travailler pour H&M m'a permis de faire plusieurs choses à la fois de manière beaucoup plus efficace et plus rapide, et surtout de gagner encore plus de confiance en moi. Les employés sont très agréables et les gérants aussi
Fast Pace Environment with Awesome Management and Co-Workers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta20 January 2016
Its a fast pace environment where you have to deal with be able to multi-task between helping customers, putting clothes away, being on cash and being in the fitting rooms. The management team is awesome and are always available to help support staff when they need assistance. The co-workers are very helpful and we all support and rely on each other, its a very fun work environment but you know when you have to be serious in order to get the work done.
Pros
25% staff discount
Cons
Fast pace
Don't work here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 January 2016
A typical day at work consisted of putting clothing back on the floor, attending to customer needs, time doing customer transactions, setting up displays. My co-workers were amazing people that made going to work great. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who would come from area office. They assume you don't know how to do your job and treat you in a disrespectful manner. The most enjoyable part was being around my co-workers. Some members of management were fantastic and were what you would want as a manager and others were not so great. Some of them did not pull their weight and were unapproachable.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
area office visits, bad management
Environnement de travail
Vendeuse et caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 December 2015
L'environnement de travail est excellent. Les employé sont accueillants. De plus, il est facile de discuter avec un gérant.
Pros
Rabais pour les employés
the amount of complacency is horrendous, but not surprising
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2015
The company would benefit from people who are actually educated, people who have sense and the capacity to think rather than to excuse themselves from the poor management that is H&M. As a former Sales Advisor, the hours were not flexible and availability was disregarded - although availability was clearly stated through needs relating to illness. The store had to continuously operate through understaffed employment, which meant that the needs of the fast paced environment and amount of customers could not be met. Closing took at least two hours with not enough people on closing shifts to ensure that employees were not being burdened and made to work over-time although it is not stated that over-time is mandatory. I believe that management didn’t realize their constant complacency, or perhaps the lack of common sense was overshadowed by their blatant ignorance. At times where the store couldn’t operate to its full potential due to short staffed circumstances, management would make excuses or go as far as to put the blame on others. No improvement was done, or maybe there was but the rate productivity is comparable to their distinguishable stupidity. Of course, what makes this complete without favouritism? It seems that availability is only honoured and respected when you can win the adoration of your managers and fellow employees. H&M truly believes their a place of ‘possible’ - a place where the possibility of meeting the physical manifestation of managers with no sense of mental capacity becomes the inevitable. I think the best way to represent the attitudes I experienced  more... was ‘Let’s yell at all the customers and employees because I don’t exactly know how to state a good argument for my poor behaviour, aggression is how we enforce conformity - intimidation is a form of intelligence, isn’t it?’ In the simplest terms - people would benefit more if they weren’t treated as breathing bodies to fulfil targeted sales.  less
Pros
the breaks were half an hour to an hour long
Cons
everything else was unprofessional, but you can't really expect much
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 December 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
A great job for a student
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 December 2015
A great flexible job for a full time or a part time student that need time to study. They respect your requests.
It is a fun place to work in, everyone is very nice and acceptable. Everyone become a family.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales R (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 November 2015
Great place to work.
Learned many valuable skills in retail.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Friendly Co workers, Fun work place
Cons
lazy managers at times
Super fast paced job environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2015
Everyone is friendly and there is always something to do, never bored. also its super easy to get days off, very flexible with their hours.
Good place to learn customer service skills
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2015
The company met my expectations in regards to their regard to employee needs and adhered to company standards during my time there.
good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2015
Its a nice environment to work at. Supportive management team.
Good hours, good location. Great learning experience.
The people there are what make the job what it is, a family feel.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 September 2015
It has it ups and down for sure....

There is a lot of staff, but such high turn over rates that most of the staff is usually new. A typical includes running around like a crazy person trying to get things done, there are always quite a bit of customers in the store at all times of the day. Management, is tricky. They are all kind people for the most part, however most of them are young and lack personable skills, and there is quite a bit of a "high school" feel at times. The most difficult part of the job would probably be what you are expected of, compared to the salary, and that there never seems to be full communication through management and employees. The most enjoyable part for me, because I have been there a couple of years, I have built close relationships with the people that are there. Gives me a sense of comfort.
Pros
great lunch room
Cons
bad hours, immature management.
Work life at H&M
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2015
A typical day for me at H&M is organizing, stocking, cleaning and visualizing the store to invite customers. I've learned how to have good customer service, with this job you need a lot of experience with that. The management was great. My co-workers were close to me, I guess I get along with people very well. They were like family to me. Hardest part of this job was trying to deal with customers that gave the hardest time. The most enjoyable, I'd have to say dressing the mannequins, designing the store, organizing and stocking new clothes out on the floor.
Pros
Inviting staff
Cons
Free time after most of the work is done, I dont like not having tasks. I like to continuously work.
Ce travail est génial
Vendeur (Current Employee) –  Sherbrooke25 August 2015
H&M est un emplois super, j'adore mon expérience en tant qu'employé à temps partiel à Sherbrooke. L'équipe de gestion et les employé partage des valeurs exceptionnelles. Les journées sont chargée et j'ai toujours des tâches à réaliser et j'adore travailler pour travailler et non me rouler les pousses. Je me cherche un nouvel emplois, car à Sherbrooke le poste temps plein est comblé et je recherche un emplois à temps plein.
Pros
équipe d'enfer
Cons
aucun poste temps plein est ouvert pour le moment
fun place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2015
Working with a great team of managers, and staff. Very fast paced, need to be able to multi task. Great customers. Learn how to give great customer service. Use different electronics as related to the job
Pros
people
Cons
nothing
Lots of hard, tiring work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto5 August 2015
a typical day of work is constantly cleaning and folding, and re-cleaning and re-folding the entire store, and running things from the fits. Hardest part of the job is how physically demanding and non-stop it is. management, can be good, but there's a lot of stuck up people who work there.
Pros
long hours (big pay cheques), some good co workers
Cons
long hours, rude customers, fast paced environment, constantly on your feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.