H&M Employee Reviews

Fast-paced fashion whirlwind
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 April 2014
- typical day involves cleaning the store, re-stocking merchandise, being on cash, and assisting customers in the fitting rooms
- learned to be efficient, multi-task and finding the fastest way to resolve things
- management is understanding and compassionate
- co-workers are friendly and professional
- hardest part of the job is maintaining the store's appearance during a busy day
- being able to assist customers in fashion forward styles
Productive and Active Workplace With Friendly Envionment
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Promanade Mall21 October 2013
- Pleasant
- Kind People
- Growing Sales
- Part time Job
- Typical day at work consumed of stocking new merchandise, Opening the store and welcoming customers and increasing sales.
- Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with all different types of people from old and young generations and being able to help them with their needs.
- I worked very well with my coworkers that I befriended and certainly to this day am still friends with. We worked well as a team and helped each other with different types of chores and assignments with great results.
Pros
Discount on merchendise
Cons
Short Breaks
You can do better.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, ON20 December 2012
This company values sales more than its employees. Despite the fact that I worked as a customer service representative (basically resolving complaints) it was impossible to advance within the company without making sales targets that were never discussed prior to commencing with the company.

Original ideas for improving current policies were completely ignored, even discouraged by management.

Co-workers were over-qualified, intelligent, genuinely nice people.
Pros
flexible time off
Cons
inflexible policies for handling customer requests.
Very busy store
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2013
At H&M, I was working in the children's section, managing the inventory and helping the customer find what they are looking for. I would help on the cash, I was very fast and my first time working as a cashier. It was a very fun environment to work at, although the closing time was very long since there is a lot of merchandise and sometimes the clients would throw the merchandise on the floor, therefore it would take an hour and half sometimes to clean the store. But, it was a fun first job and had an amazing staff working with me.
Pros
fun environment, great staff
Cons
The best retailer to work for - ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 July 2013
I often think it would be awesome to go back to H&M...

The company itself and what it stands for is by far (in my opinion) one of the best to work for. The benefits cannot compare to any other that I've ever had (everything was100% except for dental at 80% - and that was if the company paid for it! If you decided to buy into it ($7 every pay period - then everything was 100%.) The core values were lived every day (you will have people and management whom don't - but that's everywhere I guess.)

The work was hard sometimes, but never the less it was fun!
Pros
Awesome Company, Awesome Benefits & lots of FUN!
Cons
some people (but you'll have those wherever you go...)
Friendly and team focus
Part Time Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2014
I learned to work with zero to no supervision. i followed routine. The managers were always understanding and enthusiastic. Hardest job was always inventory nights once a year we would have to count every item in the store. i enjoyed our seasonal potlucks where we get to talk about up coming trends and how well we did the previous seasons.
Pros
discounts on clothing
Cons
high turn over rate so we were sometimes short staffed
Productive & Fun enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC17 January 2014
H&M is a great company to work for and I am truly blessed to be a part of the sales advisor team.

On a typical day I organize the merchandise & help customers with their questions and requests. I also handle the cash & deal with inventory management.

In the past 7 years I have learned to work as a team player, and I have learned to work in a fast paced environment.

My co workers are wonderful & I get along with all of them. I have a compatible personality & take direction well.

The most challenging aspect of the job is the managing customer requests; however, dealing with a wide variety of clients is what I enjoy the most.
Pros
Great enviroment, co workers are fun, meet different people all the time, opportunity for growth
Cons
Physically tiring
Great company, excellent values
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 November 2013
H&M is a cost-conscious company, offering great fashions at a reasonable price. There is a lot of room for growth within the company if the right candidate earns it. Every day at H&M is a little different, which keeps it interesting. Working for this company has taught me to trust my own judgement more often, and that I am capable of handling many responsibilities.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Lack of management communication
Great Place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 July 2013
I always enjoyed working at H&M. The team was fabulous, the days were fast paced, the experiences were endless within the fashion industry.

H&M is a wonderful company to work for. When a new store is opened in a different city and even a different country, postings are listed to apply for to go and aid in the opening. The one great thing about that is the opportunity to travel, expand your knowledge and encounter new people who have a passion for the same things you do. It also allows your leadership skills to come into full effect as you have the previous knowledge from working in the store and now have to assist the new staff who are preparing for the opening.

Coworkers and work environment was always fun and lighthearted.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Fun and energic workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississuaga24 February 2015
H&M provided excellent training that ensure I would be prepared for anything! The management team was excellent and very supportive. I've never worked in a more inclusive and exciting environment! There was always something to do, it was never a dull moment! Truly an excellent work experience :)
Great workplace with lots of opportunities to advance
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 January 2014
The hardest part of the job is easy; the customers, and only because that's the culture of retail.
A shift is never the same, you rotate hourly from cash, to fitting room, to the sales floor, etc. keeping the job interesting, and time flies.

You learn a lot, and you're in charge of your own development- if you want to grow, say so.
positive and encouraging workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 April 2015
For the most part my time at H&M was a good experience. There were a few issues with management and communication but thats present in most companies. I would for sure work there again though
Pros
great community
Cons
lack of communication
H&M - Best Retailer!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto23 February 2015
In my opinion, H&M is probably the best retail company to be employed with. It's not your typical "after school" job, everyone there thinks of it more so as a career.

Managers are very hands on and care about employee development. They have monthly goals of developmental goals they'd like to achieve. Examples: Promote two part time to full time, One full time to manager etc.

You also have the options to assist in store openings not only in Canada but the world. And H&M covers that cost to do so. That's a great incentive and is amazing to add to your experience.

H&M isn't your typical retailer, they're the least judgemental and don't stereotype. If you go into H&M you'll see people of all sorts, fashion sense, race, weight, age. As opposed to most retailers prioritizing hiring staff based on looks compared to their work ethic and experience.

I would recommend this company to anyone looking to work in the retail industry.
Pros
Non Stereo Typical, Staff Discount, Employee Development, Fun
good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2015
Its a nice environment to work at. Supportive management team.
Good hours, good location. Great learning experience.
A Fun, Comfortable Environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 May 2015
Working at H&M was really fun. My coworkers and managers strived to keep everyone productive and genuinely cared about their employees which made me want to go that extra mile.
It was a great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duffren Mall30 July 2014
At H&M i learned how to communicate with a lot of different type of customers.Some people would come in not with out having any idea how to say a word in English but we found some ways to understand one another. I loved that feeling of helping customers and they appreciated it.
Great place to work. great environment. very productive company.
Part time & Full time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 April 2013
I've been with the company for many years now, and i love everything about it. there is nothing bad i can say about the company. met a lot of great people who are my good friends today. very fast pace company but its enjoyable.
typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2014
the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new and interesting people everyday co workers are a joy to work with its like a big family management is easy to get along with ive learned to work independently efficiently and focus on the task assigned .
A Job to Learn By
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2013
Working at H&M clothes was fairly straightforward. A typical day consisted of sorting clothing to go be shipped elsewhere, and to transport boxes around the warehouse.

It was here I learned how to take stock, and how to work under my own direction.
Pros
straightforward
Cons
poor lighting
busy, vibrant, long hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 June 2014
very long hours, which is a good thing if you need it. best part about this job was the people, they were a lot of fun to work with. it can get overwhelming with the cleaning and refolding of the clothing, but other than that its not too bad.
Pros
fun
Cons
can be a lot of work at times