H&M Employee Reviews

good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2015
Its a nice environment to work at. Supportive management team.
Good hours, good location. Great learning experience.
The people there are what make the job what it is, a family feel.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 September 2015
It has it ups and down for sure....

There is a lot of staff, but such high turn over rates that most of the staff is usually new. A typical includes running around like a crazy person trying to get things done, there are always quite a bit of customers in the store at all times of the day. Management, is tricky. They are all kind people for the most part, however most of them are young and lack personable skills, and there is quite a bit of a "high school" feel at times. The most difficult part of the job would probably be what you are expected of, compared to the salary, and that there never seems to be full communication through management and employees. The most enjoyable part for me, because I have been there a couple of years, I have built close relationships with the people that are there. Gives me a sense of comfort.
Pros
great lunch room
Cons
bad hours, immature management.
Work life at H&M
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2015
A typical day for me at H&M is organizing, stocking, cleaning and visualizing the store to invite customers. I've learned how to have good customer service, with this job you need a lot of experience with that. The management was great. My co-workers were close to me, I guess I get along with people very well. They were like family to me. Hardest part of this job was trying to deal with customers that gave the hardest time. The most enjoyable, I'd have to say dressing the mannequins, designing the store, organizing and stocking new clothes out on the floor.
Pros
Inviting staff
Cons
Free time after most of the work is done, I dont like not having tasks. I like to continuously work.
fun place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2015
Working with a great team of managers, and staff. Very fast paced, need to be able to multi task. Great customers. Learn how to give great customer service. Use different electronics as related to the job
Pros
people
Cons
nothing
Lots of hard, tiring work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto5 August 2015
a typical day of work is constantly cleaning and folding, and re-cleaning and re-folding the entire store, and running things from the fits. Hardest part of the job is how physically demanding and non-stop it is. management, can be good, but there's a lot of stuck up people who work there.
Pros
long hours (big pay cheques), some good co workers
Cons
long hours, rude customers, fast paced environment, constantly on your feet
Acceptance
Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, Ontario31 July 2015
While working at H&M, I found that management was not doing their jobs correctly. I worked retail for many years and I've never experience something like this before. It is very catty, unreliable, unprofessional, and unjustified at times. Management plays favourites which is absolutely uncalled for. They are also very manipulative and would rather give you bad advice rather than help you.

The only thing I liked at my store was the people! My co-workers tried their very best to stay together and help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job, was literally all the stress that was constantly being pushed out in the work environment.
h&m
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Burlington Ontario11 July 2015
H&M is a good company to work for with lots of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. They also have a great charitable belief system
Productive, fast pace fun place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
Planing, controling, evaluating operations, managing and developing staff, assigning duties, customer service. Fast pace environment, where we learn to be team player, respecting each other, and not forgething to have fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 July 2015
A great place to work with fair management and policies along with amazing staff. The fast pace environment encourages associates to practice teamwork skills,which allows for more efficient means of work. Adapting to situations that are out of ones control is a skill that one must obtain when working in costumer service.
Pros
Always something to do, fast pace, learning opportunities everyday
Cons
Working weekends, part-time salary
great employees
Cashier, Sales Associate, Open/Close Tills, Truck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2015
Usually I would be working by myself most of my shift. I would cover cash, fitting rooms, cleaning and running. I was trained in many different positions. I was trained as a visual, a truck responsible, I trained the new people on the floor and on truck, I helped open and close tills and I helped with safe count in the morning and evening. I had great co-workers when I got to work with them, and it was a very fast paced environment most days. There were a few evenings where there was a lot of call-outs and it was left to me, one person downstairs and one manager to run the store for the last few hours before closing. Management was not very good at keeping their word which was very frustrating. There were days where customers were very difficult to deal with, which was not very fun either. I loved all my co-workers and I enjoyed doing visual work, that was my favourite part of the job.
A Fun, Comfortable Environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 May 2015
Working at H&M was really fun. My coworkers and managers strived to keep everyone productive and genuinely cared about their employees which made me want to go that extra mile.
positive and encouraging workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 April 2015
For the most part my time at H&M was a good experience. There were a few issues with management and communication but thats present in most companies. I would for sure work there again though
Pros
great community
Cons
lack of communication
Hectic Environment, good atmosphere
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2015
A typical day at work
- staying busy all day (everyday is like boxing day)
- complete tasks as quick as possible

Learned
- stay busy
- be quick
- stand your ground

-there is always good and bad
-they are people too and will learn

Co workers
-best part about working there
Pros
Paid staff meetings, treats, working with friends, and discount
Cons
Stressful, a lot of unhappy people
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Square one28 March 2015
It is a good place to work at. I had fun there, if you are into retail than you will be fine, amazing experience. I loved it. management does not really like working around peoples schedule.
Amazing workplace
H&M Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 February 2015
A typical day at work would include clocking in, then proceeding to your assigned area (fitting rooms, cash, running, stock) then switching after an hour or two to your next section. This goes on until you leave! I love that you get to do multiple things rather than the same thing over and over. I've learned how to sell well, and also garment care and run much more efficiently. Management is always extremely supportive and encouraging and really works to better employees. Co-workers are nice and sociable, very quirky and hard working. The hardest part pf the job would be the constant cleaning of garments, given it is a popular store many things get moved around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and company. Everyone really helps keep the mood up.
Pros
atmosphere, people, leniency, support
Cons
brightness, beeping noise the cash makes
Fun and energic workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississuaga24 February 2015
H&M provided excellent training that ensure I would be prepared for anything! The management team was excellent and very supportive. I've never worked in a more inclusive and exciting environment! There was always something to do, it was never a dull moment! Truly an excellent work experience :)
H&M - Best Retailer!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto23 February 2015
In my opinion, H&M is probably the best retail company to be employed with. It's not your typical "after school" job, everyone there thinks of it more so as a career.

Managers are very hands on and care about employee development. They have monthly goals of developmental goals they'd like to achieve. Examples: Promote two part time to full time, One full time to manager etc.

You also have the options to assist in store openings not only in Canada but the world. And H&M covers that cost to do so. That's a great incentive and is amazing to add to your experience.

H&M isn't your typical retailer, they're the least judgemental and don't stereotype. If you go into H&M you'll see people of all sorts, fashion sense, race, weight, age. As opposed to most retailers prioritizing hiring staff based on looks compared to their work ethic and experience.

I would recommend this company to anyone looking to work in the retail industry.
Pros
Non Stereo Typical, Staff Discount, Employee Development, Fun
Fast-pace and engaging work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montreal27 October 2014
A typical day at work involves listening to customers needs and helping them find what they're looking for.
All the employees from sales associates to store managers work together to fulfill common goals.
The Highs and Lows of Retail
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 September 2014
My job extends out into the world of one on one in fast paced fashion consumerism. It has it's highs and lows, and I have been doing it for many years.
Pros
Have learned a lot
Cons
Emotionally draining
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 September 2014
Overall H&M was a fun place to work. The people who work there make it fun, and the company is all about promoting within so there is lots of opportunities for growth.