H&M Employee Reviews

what its like at h&M?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 March 2016
i think h&M is a great place to work, it is fun and up beat and fast paced, it keeps you moving all day, you get to work with a lot of fun people, and the day passes without you even noticing.
Retail can be a great experience if you make it one.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 August 2013
A typical day of work at H&M starts off with a sales advisor meeting where the sales associates are given an update on what store promotions, sales goals, areas of improvement, and store focuses, new trends are for the day. As a part time associate I provide customer service to a wide variety of different customers as well as maintain the cleanliness of the store. The management team at H&M are really great they always listen to what we as employees have to say and going into work as always a positive experience. The co-workers are good people to work with, we all work as one team and constantly help each other out in any way we can. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with such a wide variety of different customers with different needs and wants. I learned that patience is a virtue and that if you keep a positive attitude any situation the outcome will most likely be a positive one. I enjoy the fashions that H&M has to offer as well as their free magazine, of which I am complete utter fan for.
Pros
Free H&M magazine, great staff, positive environment
Cons
angry customers
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON5 February 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
great employees
Cashier, Sales Associate, Open/Close Tills, Truck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2015
Usually I would be working by myself most of my shift. I would cover cash, fitting rooms, cleaning and running. I was trained in many different positions. I was trained as a visual, a truck responsible, I trained the new people on the floor and on truck, I helped open and close tills and I helped with safe count in the morning and evening. I had great co-workers when I got to work with them, and it was a very fast paced environment most days. There were a few evenings where there was a lot of call-outs and it was left to me, one person downstairs and one manager to run the store for the last few hours before closing. Management was not very good at keeping their word which was very frustrating. There were days where customers were very difficult to deal with, which was not very fun either. I loved all my co-workers and I enjoyed doing visual work, that was my favourite part of the job.
Great place to work, very friendly environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 February 2016
Very positive work environment. Co workers are extremely friendly. I think that breaks should be dispersed more evenly throughout the shifts.
Amazing workplace
H&M Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 February 2015
A typical day at work would include clocking in, then proceeding to your assigned area (fitting rooms, cash, running, stock) then switching after an hour or two to your next section. This goes on until you leave! I love that you get to do multiple things rather than the same thing over and over. I've learned how to sell well, and also garment care and run much more efficiently. Management is always extremely supportive and encouraging and really works to better employees. Co-workers are nice and sociable, very quirky and hard working. The hardest part pf the job would be the constant cleaning of garments, given it is a popular store many things get moved around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and company. Everyone really helps keep the mood up.
Pros
atmosphere, people, leniency, support
Cons
brightness, beeping noise the cash makes
H&M - Best Retailer!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto23 February 2015
In my opinion, H&M is probably the best retail company to be employed with. It's not your typical "after school" job, everyone there thinks of it more so as a career.

Managers are very hands on and care about employee development. They have monthly goals of developmental goals they'd like to achieve. Examples: Promote two part time to full time, One full time to manager etc.

You also have the options to assist in store openings not only in Canada but the world. And H&M covers that cost to do so. That's a great incentive and is amazing to add to your experience.

H&M isn't your typical retailer, they're the least judgemental and don't stereotype. If you go into H&M you'll see people of all sorts, fashion sense, race, weight, age. As opposed to most retailers prioritizing hiring staff based on looks compared to their work ethic and experience.

I would recommend this company to anyone looking to work in the retail industry.
Pros
Non Stereo Typical, Staff Discount, Employee Development, Fun
Great Place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 July 2013
I always enjoyed working at H&M. The team was fabulous, the days were fast paced, the experiences were endless within the fashion industry.

H&M is a wonderful company to work for. When a new store is opened in a different city and even a different country, postings are listed to apply for to go and aid in the opening. The one great thing about that is the opportunity to travel, expand your knowledge and encounter new people who have a passion for the same things you do. It also allows your leadership skills to come into full effect as you have the previous knowledge from working in the store and now have to assist the new staff who are preparing for the opening.

Coworkers and work environment was always fun and lighthearted.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Every day is a challenge and you never get bored
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Stockholm, AB10 May 2013
H&M is a big international company who expands every year and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to work for it.

A typical day at work starts with a meeting to go through the tasks of the day. We plan the day and divide the tasks between a group of 4-6 people and start working to reach the goals of the day.

I have learned the value of co-workers and team work and to appreciate everyones hard work. Supporting each other is a very important factor in this kind of job and that's something employees at H&M do.

Management at H&M is very structured and organised. They make sure that everything is being done and done the right way. Nothing leaves the company unless it has been through every type of judgement.

My co-workers are very smart and driven and work hard to satisfy our demographics and our company. We have a lot of pressure on us but working together and having the right team dynamic makes us work hard and fulfil the goals that are set out for us.

The hardest part of the job is to balance everyones opinions and thoughts. It sometimes comes to the point where some ideas have to be left out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you never know what's coming. You don't know what your day will look like until you get there.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short lunch
Very busy store
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2013
At H&M, I was working in the children's section, managing the inventory and helping the customer find what they are looking for. I would help on the cash, I was very fast and my first time working as a cashier. It was a very fun environment to work at, although the closing time was very long since there is a lot of merchandise and sometimes the clients would throw the merchandise on the floor, therefore it would take an hour and half sometimes to clean the store. But, it was a fun first job and had an amazing staff working with me.
Pros
fun environment, great staff
Productive & Fun enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC17 January 2014
H&M is a great company to work for and I am truly blessed to be a part of the sales advisor team.

On a typical day I organize the merchandise & help customers with their questions and requests. I also handle the cash & deal with inventory management.

In the past 7 years I have learned to work as a team player, and I have learned to work in a fast paced environment.

My co workers are wonderful & I get along with all of them. I have a compatible personality & take direction well.

The most challenging aspect of the job is the managing customer requests; however, dealing with a wide variety of clients is what I enjoy the most.
Pros
Great enviroment, co workers are fun, meet different people all the time, opportunity for growth
Cons
Physically tiring
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 December 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2016
H&M is the best retail company to work. Why? They believe in people and we are one team. Everyone that works at H&M are family.
Pros
You can be yourself
You can do better.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, ON20 December 2012
This company values sales more than its employees. Despite the fact that I worked as a customer service representative (basically resolving complaints) it was impossible to advance within the company without making sales targets that were never discussed prior to commencing with the company.

Original ideas for improving current policies were completely ignored, even discouraged by management.

Co-workers were over-qualified, intelligent, genuinely nice people.
Pros
flexible time off
Cons
inflexible policies for handling customer requests.
A great job for a student
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 December 2015
A great flexible job for a full time or a part time student that need time to study. They respect your requests.
It is a fun place to work in, everyone is very nice and acceptable. Everyone become a family.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales R (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 November 2015
Great place to work.
Learned many valuable skills in retail.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Friendly Co workers, Fun work place
Cons
lazy managers at times
Hectic Environment, good atmosphere
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2015
A typical day at work
- staying busy all day (everyday is like boxing day)
- complete tasks as quick as possible

Learned
- stay busy
- be quick
- stand your ground

-there is always good and bad
-they are people too and will learn

Co workers
-best part about working there
Pros
Paid staff meetings, treats, working with friends, and discount
Cons
Stressful, a lot of unhappy people
Fast-paced fashion whirlwind
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 April 2014
- typical day involves cleaning the store, re-stocking merchandise, being on cash, and assisting customers in the fitting rooms
- learned to be efficient, multi-task and finding the fastest way to resolve things
- management is understanding and compassionate
- co-workers are friendly and professional
- hardest part of the job is maintaining the store's appearance during a busy day
- being able to assist customers in fashion forward styles
Productive and Active Workplace With Friendly Envionment
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Promanade Mall21 October 2013
- Pleasant
- Kind People
- Growing Sales
- Part time Job
- Typical day at work consumed of stocking new merchandise, Opening the store and welcoming customers and increasing sales.
- Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with all different types of people from old and young generations and being able to help them with their needs.
- I worked very well with my coworkers that I befriended and certainly to this day am still friends with. We worked well as a team and helped each other with different types of chores and assignments with great results.
Pros
Discount on merchendise
Cons
Short Breaks
Fast past and up beat work place. Fun people to work with. Can easily grow with company.
Caissière / vendeuse (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Qc15 June 2014
I would sometimes get to work around 6am, to place the receiving cloth on hangers and place it on the floor. I worked as a cashier and would work in the changing room. All in all, the store was almost always busy, that would mean a lot of work had to be done. Even if the store closed at 9pm, we would still be leaving at 11pm.
Pros
25% off everything
Cons
management team isn't so organized.