H&M Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 July 2015
A great place to work with fair management and policies along with amazing staff. The fast pace environment encourages associates to practice teamwork skills,which allows for more efficient means of work. Adapting to situations that are out of ones control is a skill that one must obtain when working in costumer service.
Pros
Always something to do, fast pace, learning opportunities everyday
Cons
Working weekends, part-time salary
The best retailer to work for - ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 July 2013
I often think it would be awesome to go back to H&M...

The company itself and what it stands for is by far (in my opinion) one of the best to work for. The benefits cannot compare to any other that I've ever had (everything was100% except for dental at 80% - and that was if the company paid for it! If you decided to buy into it ($7 every pay period - then everything was 100%.) The core values were lived every day (you will have people and management whom don't - but that's everywhere I guess.)

The work was hard sometimes, but never the less it was fun!
Pros
Awesome Company, Awesome Benefits & lots of FUN!
Cons
some people (but you'll have those wherever you go...)
Everyone was energetic and friendly
Sales Associate, retail (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2016
This was a co-op job placement, everyday I would help unload the trucks and clean the changing rooms, help the costumers as well as other employees whom needed it.
The hardest part about this job was not knowing where the clothes went in the store, for the beginning of the time that I've worked there. Though I caught on fast.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with new people everyday, getting to know all the other employees and my boss.
Fun place
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2016
I had a wonderful seasonal experience. I enjoyed working extra hours because I gained much more money. My schedule was pretty flexible and I was given days off before my exams.
Work life at H&M
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2015
A typical day for me at H&M is organizing, stocking, cleaning and visualizing the store to invite customers. I've learned how to have good customer service, with this job you need a lot of experience with that. The management was great. My co-workers were close to me, I guess I get along with people very well. They were like family to me. Hardest part of this job was trying to deal with customers that gave the hardest time. The most enjoyable, I'd have to say dressing the mannequins, designing the store, organizing and stocking new clothes out on the floor.
Pros
Inviting staff
Cons
Free time after most of the work is done, I dont like not having tasks. I like to continuously work.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 April 2016
The managers are awesome; everyone makes it a very fun place to work; there are many opportunities for advancing in the company; H&M is a very honest and sustainable corporation and it is an honour to work for them.
Retail can be a great experience if you make it one.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 August 2013
A typical day of work at H&M starts off with a sales advisor meeting where the sales associates are given an update on what store promotions, sales goals, areas of improvement, and store focuses, new trends are for the day. As a part time associate I provide customer service to a wide variety of different customers as well as maintain the cleanliness of the store. The management team at H&M are really great they always listen to what we as employees have to say and going into work as always a positive experience. The co-workers are good people to work with, we all work as one team and constantly help each other out in any way we can. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with such a wide variety of different customers with different needs and wants. I learned that patience is a virtue and that if you keep a positive attitude any situation the outcome will most likely be a positive one. I enjoy the fashions that H&M has to offer as well as their free magazine, of which I am complete utter fan for.
Pros
Free H&M magazine, great staff, positive environment
Cons
angry customers
Fast paced, enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2016
Fast paced food service, typical day at work would be baking, working as barista and cleanup. Being available on cash, making food and taking in orders, as well as drive thru.
Acceptance
Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, Ontario31 July 2015
While working at H&M, I found that management was not doing their jobs correctly. I worked retail for many years and I've never experience something like this before. It is very catty, unreliable, unprofessional, and unjustified at times. Management plays favourites which is absolutely uncalled for. They are also very manipulative and would rather give you bad advice rather than help you.

The only thing I liked at my store was the people! My co-workers tried their very best to stay together and help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job, was literally all the stress that was constantly being pushed out in the work environment.
Good work environment
Consistently provided excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 December 2013
Strong team.
Great staff.
Good communication with management.
Annual reviews.
Room for promotions and salary increase.
Pros
Positive work environment
great employees
Cashier, Sales Associate, Open/Close Tills, Truck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2015
Usually I would be working by myself most of my shift. I would cover cash, fitting rooms, cleaning and running. I was trained in many different positions. I was trained as a visual, a truck responsible, I trained the new people on the floor and on truck, I helped open and close tills and I helped with safe count in the morning and evening. I had great co-workers when I got to work with them, and it was a very fast paced environment most days. There were a few evenings where there was a lot of call-outs and it was left to me, one person downstairs and one manager to run the store for the last few hours before closing. Management was not very good at keeping their word which was very frustrating. There were days where customers were very difficult to deal with, which was not very fun either. I loved all my co-workers and I enjoyed doing visual work, that was my favourite part of the job.
High paced and fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2016
Good company. Fast Paced and always on the move but you will enjoy and there is the added benefit of 25% off every thing.

Direct and indirect customer service support.

 Upselling and cross selling to customers

 Logistical support.
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 December 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
Every day is a challenge and you never get bored
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Stockholm, AB10 May 2013
H&M is a big international company who expands every year and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to work for it.

A typical day at work starts with a meeting to go through the tasks of the day. We plan the day and divide the tasks between a group of 4-6 people and start working to reach the goals of the day.

I have learned the value of co-workers and team work and to appreciate everyones hard work. Supporting each other is a very important factor in this kind of job and that's something employees at H&M do.

Management at H&M is very structured and organised. They make sure that everything is being done and done the right way. Nothing leaves the company unless it has been through every type of judgement.

My co-workers are very smart and driven and work hard to satisfy our demographics and our company. We have a lot of pressure on us but working together and having the right team dynamic makes us work hard and fulfil the goals that are set out for us.

The hardest part of the job is to balance everyones opinions and thoughts. It sometimes comes to the point where some ideas have to be left out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you never know what's coming. You don't know what your day will look like until you get there.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short lunch
what its like at h&M?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 March 2016
i think h&M is a great place to work, it is fun and up beat and fast paced, it keeps you moving all day, you get to work with a lot of fun people, and the day passes without you even noticing.
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON5 February 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
Amazing workplace
H&M Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 February 2015
A typical day at work would include clocking in, then proceeding to your assigned area (fitting rooms, cash, running, stock) then switching after an hour or two to your next section. This goes on until you leave! I love that you get to do multiple things rather than the same thing over and over. I've learned how to sell well, and also garment care and run much more efficiently. Management is always extremely supportive and encouraging and really works to better employees. Co-workers are nice and sociable, very quirky and hard working. The hardest part pf the job would be the constant cleaning of garments, given it is a popular store many things get moved around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and company. Everyone really helps keep the mood up.
Pros
atmosphere, people, leniency, support
Cons
brightness, beeping noise the cash makes
H&M - Best Retailer!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto23 February 2015
In my opinion, H&M is probably the best retail company to be employed with. It's not your typical "after school" job, everyone there thinks of it more so as a career.

Managers are very hands on and care about employee development. They have monthly goals of developmental goals they'd like to achieve. Examples: Promote two part time to full time, One full time to manager etc.

You also have the options to assist in store openings not only in Canada but the world. And H&M covers that cost to do so. That's a great incentive and is amazing to add to your experience.

H&M isn't your typical retailer, they're the least judgemental and don't stereotype. If you go into H&M you'll see people of all sorts, fashion sense, race, weight, age. As opposed to most retailers prioritizing hiring staff based on looks compared to their work ethic and experience.

I would recommend this company to anyone looking to work in the retail industry.
Pros
Non Stereo Typical, Staff Discount, Employee Development, Fun
Great place to work, very friendly environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 February 2016
Very positive work environment. Co workers are extremely friendly. I think that breaks should be dispersed more evenly throughout the shifts.
Great Place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 July 2013
I always enjoyed working at H&M. The team was fabulous, the days were fast paced, the experiences were endless within the fashion industry.

H&M is a wonderful company to work for. When a new store is opened in a different city and even a different country, postings are listed to apply for to go and aid in the opening. The one great thing about that is the opportunity to travel, expand your knowledge and encounter new people who have a passion for the same things you do. It also allows your leadership skills to come into full effect as you have the previous knowledge from working in the store and now have to assist the new staff who are preparing for the opening.

Coworkers and work environment was always fun and lighthearted.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not much room for advancement