H&M Employee Reviews in Canada

Super fast paced job environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2015
Everyone is friendly and there is always something to do, never bored. also its super easy to get days off, very flexible with their hours.
Good place to learn customer service skills
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
The company met my expectations in regards to their regard to employee needs and adhered to company standards during my time there.
Retail can be a great experience if you make it one.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2013
A typical day of work at H&M starts off with a sales advisor meeting where the sales associates are given an update on what store promotions, sales goals, areas of improvement, and store focuses, new trends are for the day. As a part time associate I provide customer service to a wide variety of different customers as well as maintain the cleanliness of the store. The management team at H&M are really great they always listen to what we as employees have to say and going into work as always a positive experience. The co-workers are good people to work with, we all work as one team and constantly help each other out in any way we can. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with such a wide variety of different customers with different needs and wants. I learned that patience is a virtue and that if you keep a positive attitude any situation the outcome will most likely be a positive one. I enjoy the fashions that H&M has to offer as well as their free magazine, of which I am complete utter fan for.
Pros
free h&m magazine, great staff, positive environment
Cons
angry customers
Hectic Environment, good atmosphere
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work
- staying busy all day (everyday is like boxing day)
- complete tasks as quick as possible

Learned
- stay busy
- be quick
- stand your ground

-there is always good and bad
-they are people too and will learn

Co workers
-best part about working there
Pros
Paid staff meetings, treats, working with friends, and discount
Cons
Stressful, a lot of unhappy people
Good work environment
Consistently provided excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Strong team.
Great staff.
Good communication with management.
Annual reviews.
Room for promotions and salary increase.
Pros
positive work environment
h&m
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Burlington OntarioJuly 11, 2015
H&M is a good company to work for with lots of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. They also have a great charitable belief system
fun place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2015
Working with a great team of managers, and staff. Very fast paced, need to be able to multi task. Great customers. Learn how to give great customer service. Use different electronics as related to the job
Pros
people
Cons
nothing
Every day is a challenge and you never get bored
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Stockholm, ABMay 10, 2013
H&M is a big international company who expands every year and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to work for it.

A typical day at work starts with a meeting to go through the tasks of the day. We plan the day and divide the tasks between a group of 4-6 people and start working to reach the goals of the day.

I have learned the value of co-workers and team work and to appreciate everyones hard work. Supporting each other is a very important factor in this kind of job and that's something employees at H&M do.

Management at H&M is very structured and organised. They make sure that everything is being done and done the right way. Nothing leaves the company unless it has been through every type of judgement.

My co-workers are very smart and driven and work hard to satisfy our demographics and our company. We have a lot of pressure on us but working together and having the right team dynamic makes us work hard and fulfil the goals that are set out for us.

The hardest part of the job is to balance everyones opinions and thoughts. It sometimes comes to the point where some ideas have to be left out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you never know what's coming. You don't know what your day will look like until you get there.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
short lunch
positive and encouraging workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 12, 2015
For the most part my time at H&M was a good experience. There were a few issues with management and communication but thats present in most companies. I would for sure work there again though
Pros
great community
Cons
lack of communication
Fun and energic workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MississuagaFebruary 24, 2015
H&M provided excellent training that ensure I would be prepared for anything! The management team was excellent and very supportive. I've never worked in a more inclusive and exciting environment! There was always something to do, it was never a dull moment! Truly an excellent work experience :)
Great Place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 24, 2013
I always enjoyed working at H&M. The team was fabulous, the days were fast paced, the experiences were endless within the fashion industry.

H&M is a wonderful company to work for. When a new store is opened in a different city and even a different country, postings are listed to apply for to go and aid in the opening. The one great thing about that is the opportunity to travel, expand your knowledge and encounter new people who have a passion for the same things you do. It also allows your leadership skills to come into full effect as you have the previous knowledge from working in the store and now have to assist the new staff who are preparing for the opening.

Coworkers and work environment was always fun and lighthearted.
Pros
great environment
Cons
not much room for advancement
Productive & Fun enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCJanuary 17, 2014
H&M is a great company to work for and I am truly blessed to be a part of the sales advisor team.

On a typical day I organize the merchandise & help customers with their questions and requests. I also handle the cash & deal with inventory management.

In the past 7 years I have learned to work as a team player, and I have learned to work in a fast paced environment.

My co workers are wonderful & I get along with all of them. I have a compatible personality & take direction well.

The most challenging aspect of the job is the managing customer requests; however, dealing with a wide variety of clients is what I enjoy the most.
Pros
great enviroment, co workers are fun, meet different people all the time, opportunity for growth
Cons
physically tiring
Productive, fast pace fun place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2015
Planing, controling, evaluating operations, managing and developing staff, assigning duties, customer service. Fast pace environment, where we learn to be team player, respecting each other, and not forgething to have fun.
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Square oneMarch 28, 2015
It is a good place to work at. I had fun there, if you are into retail than you will be fine, amazing experience. I loved it. management does not really like working around peoples schedule.
Very busy store
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2013
At H&M, I was working in the children's section, managing the inventory and helping the customer find what they are looking for. I would help on the cash, I was very fast and my first time working as a cashier. It was a very fun environment to work at, although the closing time was very long since there is a lot of merchandise and sometimes the clients would throw the merchandise on the floor, therefore it would take an hour and half sometimes to clean the store. But, it was a fun first job and had an amazing staff working with me.
Pros
fun environment, great staff
You can do better.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, ONDecember 20, 2012
This company values sales more than its employees. Despite the fact that I worked as a customer service representative (basically resolving complaints) it was impossible to advance within the company without making sales targets that were never discussed prior to commencing with the company.

Original ideas for improving current policies were completely ignored, even discouraged by management.

Co-workers were over-qualified, intelligent, genuinely nice people.
Pros
flexible time off
Cons
inflexible policies for handling customer requests.
Fast past and up beat work place. Fun people to work with. Can easily grow with company.
Caissière / vendeuse (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QcJune 15, 2014
I would sometimes get to work around 6am, to place the receiving cloth on hangers and place it on the floor. I worked as a cashier and would work in the changing room. All in all, the store was almost always busy, that would mean a lot of work had to be done. Even if the store closed at 9pm, we would still be leaving at 11pm.
Pros
25% off everything
Cons
management team isn't so organized.
Fast-paced fashion whirlwind
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 4, 2014
- typical day involves cleaning the store, re-stocking merchandise, being on cash, and assisting customers in the fitting rooms
- learned to be efficient, multi-task and finding the fastest way to resolve things
- management is understanding and compassionate
- co-workers are friendly and professional
- hardest part of the job is maintaining the store's appearance during a busy day
- being able to assist customers in fashion forward styles
Great company, excellent values
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONNovember 6, 2013
H&M is a cost-conscious company, offering great fashions at a reasonable price. There is a lot of room for growth within the company if the right candidate earns it. Every day at H&M is a little different, which keeps it interesting. Working for this company has taught me to trust my own judgement more often, and that I am capable of handling many responsibilities.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of management communication
A Fun, Comfortable Environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 12, 2015
Working at H&M was really fun. My coworkers and managers strived to keep everyone productive and genuinely cared about their employees which made me want to go that extra mile.