H&M Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
H&M is the best retail company to work. Why? They believe in people and we are one team. Everyone that works at H&M are family.
Pros
You can be yourself
Acceptance
Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, OntarioJuly 31, 2015
While working at H&M, I found that management was not doing their jobs correctly. I worked retail for many years and I've never experience something like this before. It is very catty, unreliable, unprofessional, and unjustified at times. Management plays favourites which is absolutely uncalled for. They are also very manipulative and would rather give you bad advice rather than help you.

The only thing I liked at my store was the people! My co-workers tried their very best to stay together and help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job, was literally all the stress that was constantly being pushed out in the work environment.
A great job for a student
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 7, 2015
A great flexible job for a full time or a part time student that need time to study. They respect your requests.
It is a fun place to work in, everyone is very nice and acceptable. Everyone become a family.
Good work environment
Consistently provided excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Strong team.
Great staff.
Good communication with management.
Annual reviews.
Room for promotions and salary increase.
Pros
positive work environment
Productive and fun workplace
Sales R (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work.
Learned many valuable skills in retail.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Friendly Co workers, Fun work place
Cons
lazy managers at times
great employees
Cashier, Sales Associate, Open/Close Tills, Truck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
Usually I would be working by myself most of my shift. I would cover cash, fitting rooms, cleaning and running. I was trained in many different positions. I was trained as a visual, a truck responsible, I trained the new people on the floor and on truck, I helped open and close tills and I helped with safe count in the morning and evening. I had great co-workers when I got to work with them, and it was a very fast paced environment most days. There were a few evenings where there was a lot of call-outs and it was left to me, one person downstairs and one manager to run the store for the last few hours before closing. Management was not very good at keeping their word which was very frustrating. There were days where customers were very difficult to deal with, which was not very fun either. I loved all my co-workers and I enjoyed doing visual work, that was my favourite part of the job.
the amount of complacency is horrendous, but not surprising
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
The company would benefit from people who are actually educated, people who have sense and the capacity to think rather than to excuse themselves from the poor management that is H&M. As a former Sales Advisor, the hours were not flexible and availability was disregarded - although availability was clearly stated through needs relating to illness. The store had to continuously operate through understaffed employment, which meant that the needs of the fast paced environment and amount of customers could not be met. Closing took at least two hours with not enough people on closing shifts to ensure that employees were not being burdened and made to work over-time although it is not stated that over-time is mandatory. I believe that management didn’t realize their constant complacency, or perhaps the lack of common sense was overshadowed by their blatant ignorance. At times where the store couldn’t operate to its full potential due to short staffed circumstances, management would make excuses or go as far as to put the blame on others. No improvement was done, or maybe there was but the rate productivity is comparable to their distinguishable stupidity. Of course, what makes this complete without favouritism? It seems that availability is only honoured and respected when you can win the adoration of your managers and fellow employees. H&M truly believes their a place of ‘possible’ - a place where the possibility of meeting the physical manifestation of managers with no sense of mental capacity becomes the inevitable. I think the best way to represent the attitudes I experienced  more... was ‘Let’s yell at all the customers and employees because I don’t exactly know how to state a good argument for my poor behaviour, aggression is how we enforce conformity - intimidation is a form of intelligence, isn’t it?’ In the simplest terms - people would benefit more if they weren’t treated as breathing bodies to fulfil targeted sales.  less
Pros
the breaks were half an hour to an hour long
Cons
everything else was unprofessional, but you can't really expect much
Super fast paced job environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2015
Everyone is friendly and there is always something to do, never bored. also its super easy to get days off, very flexible with their hours.
Overall good
Responsible Sales Adviser (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2012
Very good student job while attending school. Many benefits such as employee discount and competitions with other stores.
Amazing workplace
H&M Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would include clocking in, then proceeding to your assigned area (fitting rooms, cash, running, stock) then switching after an hour or two to your next section. This goes on until you leave! I love that you get to do multiple things rather than the same thing over and over. I've learned how to sell well, and also garment care and run much more efficiently. Management is always extremely supportive and encouraging and really works to better employees. Co-workers are nice and sociable, very quirky and hard working. The hardest part pf the job would be the constant cleaning of garments, given it is a popular store many things get moved around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and company. Everyone really helps keep the mood up.
Pros
atmosphere, people, leniency, support
Cons
brightness, beeping noise the cash makes
Good place to learn customer service skills
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
The company met my expectations in regards to their regard to employee needs and adhered to company standards during my time there.
H&M - Best Retailer!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 23, 2015
In my opinion, H&M is probably the best retail company to be employed with. It's not your typical "after school" job, everyone there thinks of it more so as a career.

Managers are very hands on and care about employee development. They have monthly goals of developmental goals they'd like to achieve. Examples: Promote two part time to full time, One full time to manager etc.

You also have the options to assist in store openings not only in Canada but the world. And H&M covers that cost to do so. That's a great incentive and is amazing to add to your experience.

H&M isn't your typical retailer, they're the least judgemental and don't stereotype. If you go into H&M you'll see people of all sorts, fashion sense, race, weight, age. As opposed to most retailers prioritizing hiring staff based on looks compared to their work ethic and experience.

I would recommend this company to anyone looking to work in the retail industry.
Pros
non stereo typical, staff discount, employee development, fun
good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 8, 2015
Its a nice environment to work at. Supportive management team.
Good hours, good location. Great learning experience.
Retail can be a great experience if you make it one.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2013
A typical day of work at H&M starts off with a sales advisor meeting where the sales associates are given an update on what store promotions, sales goals, areas of improvement, and store focuses, new trends are for the day. As a part time associate I provide customer service to a wide variety of different customers as well as maintain the cleanliness of the store. The management team at H&M are really great they always listen to what we as employees have to say and going into work as always a positive experience. The co-workers are good people to work with, we all work as one team and constantly help each other out in any way we can. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with such a wide variety of different customers with different needs and wants. I learned that patience is a virtue and that if you keep a positive attitude any situation the outcome will most likely be a positive one. I enjoy the fashions that H&M has to offer as well as their free magazine, of which I am complete utter fan for.
Pros
free h&m magazine, great staff, positive environment
Cons
angry customers
fun place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2015
Working with a great team of managers, and staff. Very fast paced, need to be able to multi task. Great customers. Learn how to give great customer service. Use different electronics as related to the job
Pros
people
Cons
nothing
Hectic Environment, good atmosphere
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2015
A typical day at work
- staying busy all day (everyday is like boxing day)
- complete tasks as quick as possible

Learned
- stay busy
- be quick
- stand your ground

-there is always good and bad
-they are people too and will learn

Co workers
-best part about working there
Pros
Paid staff meetings, treats, working with friends, and discount
Cons
Stressful, a lot of unhappy people
Great Place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 24, 2013
I always enjoyed working at H&M. The team was fabulous, the days were fast paced, the experiences were endless within the fashion industry.

H&M is a wonderful company to work for. When a new store is opened in a different city and even a different country, postings are listed to apply for to go and aid in the opening. The one great thing about that is the opportunity to travel, expand your knowledge and encounter new people who have a passion for the same things you do. It also allows your leadership skills to come into full effect as you have the previous knowledge from working in the store and now have to assist the new staff who are preparing for the opening.

Coworkers and work environment was always fun and lighthearted.
Pros
great environment
Cons
not much room for advancement
h&m
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Burlington OntarioJuly 11, 2015
H&M is a good company to work for with lots of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. They also have a great charitable belief system
Every day is a challenge and you never get bored
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Stockholm, ABMay 10, 2013
H&M is a big international company who expands every year and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to work for it.

A typical day at work starts with a meeting to go through the tasks of the day. We plan the day and divide the tasks between a group of 4-6 people and start working to reach the goals of the day.

I have learned the value of co-workers and team work and to appreciate everyones hard work. Supporting each other is a very important factor in this kind of job and that's something employees at H&M do.

Management at H&M is very structured and organised. They make sure that everything is being done and done the right way. Nothing leaves the company unless it has been through every type of judgement.

My co-workers are very smart and driven and work hard to satisfy our demographics and our company. We have a lot of pressure on us but working together and having the right team dynamic makes us work hard and fulfil the goals that are set out for us.

The hardest part of the job is to balance everyones opinions and thoughts. It sometimes comes to the point where some ideas have to be left out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you never know what's coming. You don't know what your day will look like until you get there.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
short lunch
Very busy store
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2013
At H&M, I was working in the children's section, managing the inventory and helping the customer find what they are looking for. I would help on the cash, I was very fast and my first time working as a cashier. It was a very fun environment to work at, although the closing time was very long since there is a lot of merchandise and sometimes the clients would throw the merchandise on the floor, therefore it would take an hour and half sometimes to clean the store. But, it was a fun first job and had an amazing staff working with me.
Pros
fun environment, great staff