H&M Employee Reviews in Canada

H&m
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 25, 2016
It's a positive environment, a safe place to work, h&m is like a small family and just overall an amazing place to work. A normal day would be a 10 hour shift but the plus side to that would be an hour break and then a 15 minute paid break.
Pros
free lunches
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 5, 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 17, 2016
The managers are awesome; everyone makes it a very fun place to work; there are many opportunities for advancing in the company; H&M is a very honest and sustainable corporation and it is an honour to work for them.
High paced and fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
Good company. Fast Paced and always on the move but you will enjoy and there is the added benefit of 25% off every thing.

Direct and indirect customer service support.

 Upselling and cross selling to customers

 Logistical support.
Fast paced, enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
Fast paced food service, typical day at work would be baking, working as barista and cleanup. Being available on cash, making food and taking in orders, as well as drive thru.
Fun place
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
I had a wonderful seasonal experience. I enjoyed working extra hours because I gained much more money. My schedule was pretty flexible and I was given days off before my exams.
what its like at h&M?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 17, 2016
i think h&M is a great place to work, it is fun and up beat and fast paced, it keeps you moving all day, you get to work with a lot of fun people, and the day passes without you even noticing.
Great place to work, very friendly environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Very positive work environment. Co workers are extremely friendly. I think that breaks should be dispersed more evenly throughout the shifts.
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 13, 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
Acceptance
Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, OntarioJuly 31, 2015
While working at H&M, I found that management was not doing their jobs correctly. I worked retail for many years and I've never experience something like this before. It is very catty, unreliable, unprofessional, and unjustified at times. Management plays favourites which is absolutely uncalled for. They are also very manipulative and would rather give you bad advice rather than help you.

The only thing I liked at my store was the people! My co-workers tried their very best to stay together and help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job, was literally all the stress that was constantly being pushed out in the work environment.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
H&M is the best retail company to work. Why? They believe in people and we are one team. Everyone that works at H&M are family.
Pros
You can be yourself
The best retailer to work for - ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 21, 2013
I often think it would be awesome to go back to H&M...

The company itself and what it stands for is by far (in my opinion) one of the best to work for. The benefits cannot compare to any other that I've ever had (everything was100% except for dental at 80% - and that was if the company paid for it! If you decided to buy into it ($7 every pay period - then everything was 100%.) The core values were lived every day (you will have people and management whom don't - but that's everywhere I guess.)

The work was hard sometimes, but never the less it was fun!
Pros
awesome company, awesome benefits & lots of fun!
Cons
some people (but you'll have those wherever you go...)
A great job for a student
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 7, 2015
A great flexible job for a full time or a part time student that need time to study. They respect your requests.
It is a fun place to work in, everyone is very nice and acceptable. Everyone become a family.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales R (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work.
Learned many valuable skills in retail.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Friendly Co workers, Fun work place
Cons
lazy managers at times
great employees
Cashier, Sales Associate, Open/Close Tills, Truck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
Usually I would be working by myself most of my shift. I would cover cash, fitting rooms, cleaning and running. I was trained in many different positions. I was trained as a visual, a truck responsible, I trained the new people on the floor and on truck, I helped open and close tills and I helped with safe count in the morning and evening. I had great co-workers when I got to work with them, and it was a very fast paced environment most days. There were a few evenings where there was a lot of call-outs and it was left to me, one person downstairs and one manager to run the store for the last few hours before closing. Management was not very good at keeping their word which was very frustrating. There were days where customers were very difficult to deal with, which was not very fun either. I loved all my co-workers and I enjoyed doing visual work, that was my favourite part of the job.
the amount of complacency is horrendous, but not surprising
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
The company would benefit from people who are actually educated, people who have sense and the capacity to think rather than to excuse themselves from the poor management that is H&M. As a former Sales Advisor, the hours were not flexible and availability was disregarded - although availability was clearly stated through needs relating to illness. The store had to continuously operate through understaffed employment, which meant that the needs of the fast paced environment and amount of customers could not be met. Closing took at least two hours with not enough people on closing shifts to ensure that employees were not being burdened and made to work over-time although it is not stated that over-time is mandatory. I believe that management didn’t realize their constant complacency, or perhaps the lack of common sense was overshadowed by their blatant ignorance. At times where the store couldn’t operate to its full potential due to short staffed circumstances, management would make excuses or go as far as to put the blame on others. No improvement was done, or maybe there was but the rate productivity is comparable to their distinguishable stupidity. Of course, what makes this complete without favouritism? It seems that availability is only honoured and respected when you can win the adoration of your managers and fellow employees. H&M truly believes their a place of ‘possible’ - a place where the possibility of meeting the physical manifestation of managers with no sense of mental capacity becomes the inevitable. I think the best way to represent the attitudes I experienced  more... was ‘Let’s yell at all the customers and employees because I don’t exactly know how to state a good argument for my poor behaviour, aggression is how we enforce conformity - intimidation is a form of intelligence, isn’t it?’ In the simplest terms - people would benefit more if they weren’t treated as breathing bodies to fulfil targeted sales.  less
Pros
the breaks were half an hour to an hour long
Cons
everything else was unprofessional, but you can't really expect much
Super fast paced job environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2015
Everyone is friendly and there is always something to do, never bored. also its super easy to get days off, very flexible with their hours.
Good place to learn customer service skills
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
The company met my expectations in regards to their regard to employee needs and adhered to company standards during my time there.
good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 8, 2015
Its a nice environment to work at. Supportive management team.
Good hours, good location. Great learning experience.
Good work environment
Consistently provided excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Strong team.
Great staff.
Good communication with management.
Annual reviews.
Room for promotions and salary increase.
Pros
positive work environment