H&M Employee Reviews

coworkers are great, management scattered
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Metrotown, BC5 September 2017
good friendly staff, management doesnt know what head office wants most of the time. most fun part of the job is being with your coworkers, least enjoyable is everything else
Pros
great benefits, nice wage, options to move up
Cons
head office seems reluctant to move anyone up, high expectations, few rewards, no recognition
It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 August 2017
The management seemed to not really care about the employees and also seemed to pick and choose who they liked and gave the hours to those people. The work environment felt unfair and when asking for hours the management would tell me that i would receive them and then give them to a person who called in three times per week.
Pros
Some people were very nice to work with
Cons
It was an unfair work environment with no structure
Great Place to work 3 years running
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Guildford, BC20 August 2017
H&M is a great company to gain experience. There are so many opportunities to grow as a person and in the retail industry. It has been named Great place to work for three years in a row.
Place of possible
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 August 2017
Based on my experience with H&M the values of the company and what they stand for are great. The staff tend to be very nice and welcoming, almost like a second home. I'd say management is okay depending on your store, some will work with you more than others. The hardest part of your day tends to just be difficult customers but the culture and environment tends to stay positive, uplifting and enjoyable.
Pros
being in a judge free environment
Cons
working with entitled individuals
would not recommened
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 August 2017
This company doesn't care about its workers and will cut shifts to budget money. H&M is not considered the "best" place to work. Management plays favourites and will only give you hours if they like you. They will call you out for things for no apparent reason.... Once they have an opinion of you, they will continue to have that opinion of you by the time you quit! If you mess up a lot, they will continue to wait for u mess up so they can yelll at you about it. Save yourself from stress by working elsewhere because this is not a place you can "grow" from. Coworkers are friendly and customers can be nicce to talk to.
Pros
Cons
no hours at times, management in general
Dpt. Manager/Administrator
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2017
Salary is good but with a catch. Expect to handle multiple positions simultaneously (Sale advisor, Store Administrator (full responsibility), Visual Merchandising, Operations, Cashier.

Deadlines and expectations are Unreasonable, Especially if you are handling full administrative roles at any given time.
Management are young, inexperienced and upper management are somehow snobby.

Work load is overwhelming while cutting cost and reducing hours for part timers. (Managers are expected to cover those shift gaps).

Advancement opportunities are limited, depending on how much upper management like you.
Pros
Friendly co workers, Clothing discount
Cons
Unfriendly management, overwhelming workload, unethical practices
Productive place with several opportunities to grow.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 July 2017
It is a very diverse environment where you can just be yourself. It's a perfect opportunity for students as the hours are pretty flexible. It's also great for people who are looking for full-time or more permanent positions as there are several opportunities for growth within the company. It is a great work environment. The staff is great and the management team is approachable.
Pros
You get paid holiday pay on your birthday
Cons
staff who have worked there for a long time should get better raises
fun atmosphere, great management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 July 2017
a great place to work with great people. I have made many new friends in the past six months that I have worked here. Very appreciative of the management team - by far the best managers I have had to date out of all the different jobs I've worked over the past few years.
Best place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 July 2017
I have worked for H&M for 10 years and have thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
The environment that I work has a family feeling and I like working with all my coworkers.
The management team is wonderfully supportive and backs us 100%.
Pros
Paid Birthdays off
Cons
Long hours on my feet.
Transparent Company and Oppurtunity for Growth
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 July 2017
H&M is an amazing place to work! The company is very transparent and the workers from the orientation have a clear idea of what their work place is actually all about. The company takes lots of initiatives to help its associates grow. The departments, expectations, the pace is all exciting and invigorating.
Fun place to work for students, everyone is really chill
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 July 2017
H&M is great for students/young people, you'll make lots of friends. No one is high strung-you do your job and do it well and they leave you alone. Its a lot of self motivated work; running (replacing) clothes, keeping the fitting room clean, cashing out customers. Closing is the worst if youre at a very busy store however the busier stores have the BEST coworkers. You have to stay late to close but if youre closing with experienced people its not too bad. I also worked at a slow store; it was the worst. They hired any and everyone, people who were completely unmotivated and slow. Interview is super easy; just be yourself, its not a formal serious interview-try to find a few commonalities with the managers and just have a convo with them. My interview was literally 3 or 4 questions and a conversation with the two managers who were interviewing me; we had a lot of shared interests and had lived in the same areas of Toronto!
Pros
Make friends, Chill people, Discount is awesome, You can hold sale clothes before customers come in
Cons
Late closes
sale advisor
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 July 2017
Good for a first time job if anyone is looking to work for the first time i highly suggest working at H&M and the team at all H&M's are amazing. I had an extremely good experience and would apply again.
rather not discuss
Visual Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 July 2017
Not sure why I would have to give a review on my current job. I would rather not discuss it. There should be no reason I have to rate my job or give a review to see who is hiring
Typical retail work environment
Sales Advisor / Visual Display (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 June 2017
Your experience will depend with the staff you come to work with since they always hire a variety of people of different personalities. Management provides in-house promotions and some training. No dull day since you change roles every few hours which is good.
Retail
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 June 2017
Standard retail
The Xmas parties are fun but you dont get to be creative with displays.
Overtime was good as i worked part time and the atmosphere was fun
Friendly Staff, Long Hours
Full Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 June 2017
Staff and management are fairly friendly, long hours, with a crazy schedule is the hardest part. Workplace culture is great, there are new challenges every day, and a team feel to solving them.
great people to work with
Department Manager, previously Visual Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2017
The culture is amazing, many of my coworkers are what i consider good friends now. the only downside is an immense workload that often interferes with having a regular 8-9 hr day.
Fun but Stressful
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2017
H&M was a great job that required a little too much commitment for part-time. Required minimum hours was a little much to handle with school and extracurriculars. A great place to work if it's the only thing on your plate.
Store is beautiful. Management is not.
Women's Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 June 2017
The company has great training in place but they take advantage by using "training" as a way to get part time sales associates who want to move up to do management jobs for minimum wage. Store manager at Limeridge Mall location is rasict and makes sales associates keep a close eye on any groups of black people that come into the store way more than white people.
overall experience
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2017
I was with the company for about 5 years
its a good place for teenagers to build a resume and personality
the company is overall good but the management sucks and isn't fair.
They are not fair enough for Women who are pregnant.

day to day for a part timer is
Running clothes
taking care of the fitting room
being on cash. rotating between Functions occasionally being on truck.

Learning the skills at H&M is amazing
it will take you far. I jumped from one retailer to another and H&M is the ONLY company that i've seen work as efficiently in a fast past environment.

Meeting new friends and networking was my favourite part of working there. if it wasn't for my co-workers I would of not known how I would make it through the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.