H&M Employee Reviews

Productive, busy workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Accessories Visual (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2016
Always busy;n always something that needed to be done. Never had time to be bored. Management could have been better in the sense of distributing hours and having more people working at peak hours, but overall an understanding bunch.
Pros
Good, flexible hours
Cons
A few long-term employees, who weren't very welcoming, nor willing to help out when you are new and didn't know what to do.
How I like to work at H&M
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anjou, QCApril 1, 2016
H&M encourages teamwork and we help each other and communicate efficiently with one another to meet the goal of the day. We are also encourage to work independently meaning to take our own initiatives and own decision regarding a situation or a problem. I work with a smile on my face everyday and I make sure to give a great customer service to each of my customers. I am the one responsible for everything concerning my department, which is the MEN department.

My co-workers and managers are fantastic. I've never been close to my managers and store manager ever! We all care about each other even though we are different. the dynamic is great and I like to come in to work everyday because at H&M, you are never alone.
Pros
fun and fashionable work environment, positive attitude
Cons
no fixed schedule
Job is fun and easy, but management needs serious work
Sales Advisor, Responsible (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 31, 2016
I worked at H&M for a 18 months. There were many things I enjoyed about this job - co-workers, location, ease of job, even the staff meetings were fun. What I didn't like, and what ultimately made me quit, was the in-office politics and gossip mill. Many times, this also included the managers talking behind employees' backs, not taking their employees' opinions into consideration, and acting selfish and immature. When this issue was raised with Canada's head office, they didn't even seem to bat an eye. The issues remained unresolved while I was working there. Hopefully now they have been, because if management wises up, I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work.
Pros
discounts, enjoyable work, easy, options for advancement, lots of free food
Cons
management, repetitive work
Fun workplace, constant room for advancing
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at work involves a team meeting before starting your shift, followed by a list of what you could expect to be doing that day and then you're off to help out customers! I learned a lot about one on one contact with customers and really listening to their wants and needs as well as patience! Management was always there when you needed them and never had any trouble answering questions for you or doing whatever they could to make your work day a little easier! my coworkers were always excellent to work with, i looked forward to being there every day because of them. The hardest part of the job would be the technical difficulties with machinery that happened frequently, but that is unavoidable in such a large store. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching a customer leave the store feeling excited about their new purchases!
Pros
Often times we were rewarded with free stuff, flexible work hours
Cons
often times we would have to cut hours, based on sales.
what its like at h&M?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 17, 2016
i think h&M is a great place to work, it is fun and up beat and fast paced, it keeps you moving all day, you get to work with a lot of fun people, and the day passes without you even noticing.
Friendly Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  KWMarch 15, 2016
It was a great experience working with H&M. You get to meet new people and deal with different situations. The management is great and the co-workers are really friendly. The best part about the job was that it helped me build up my confidence.
Head Office doesn't make crucial decisions
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QCMarch 15, 2016
There was many issues with regards to a manager and few workers. Head office realized the issue, visited on multiple occasions and got letters from every single employee. Nothing was done in a span of almost 2 years. The schedules are changed without any let alone, proper notice. They mix complaints, reviews and surveys and have no care for employee opinion, beyond the scope of making it seem like they do with "useless" questionnaires that reached no one and resolved nothing.
High paced and fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
Good company. Fast Paced and always on the move but you will enjoy and there is the added benefit of 25% off every thing.

Direct and indirect customer service support.

 Upselling and cross selling to customers

 Logistical support.
okay job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
It is a good job in terms of flexibility but it gets tiring. You get rude customers but the managers can be really rude. It is repetitive but, if you love the culture of it, you will love the job.
Pros
sometimes free lunch, fun co workers
Cons
rude customers, rude management
Productive goal oriented team environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 3, 2016
Fast paced customer service with daily sale goals. Team oriented work place with very good management. Very friendly staff and great work ethics.
Pros
Great management
Great place to work, very friendly environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Very positive work environment. Co workers are extremely friendly. I think that breaks should be dispersed more evenly throughout the shifts.
Everyone was energetic and friendly
Sales Associate, retail (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2016
This was a co-op job placement, everyday I would help unload the trucks and clean the changing rooms, help the costumers as well as other employees whom needed it.
The hardest part about this job was not knowing where the clothes went in the store, for the beginning of the time that I've worked there. Though I caught on fast.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with new people everyday, getting to know all the other employees and my boss.
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 5, 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 2, 2016
I worked here basically my whole working life. there is plenty of room for advancement. the management is very accommodating. and I am still great friends with people I worked with
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
H&M is the best retail company to work. Why? They believe in people and we are one team. Everyone that works at H&M are family.
Pros
You can be yourself
Fast Pace Environment with Awesome Management and Co-Workers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 20, 2016
Its a fast pace environment where you have to deal with be able to multi-task between helping customers, putting clothes away, being on cash and being in the fitting rooms. The management team is awesome and are always available to help support staff when they need assistance. The co-workers are very helpful and we all support and rely on each other, its a very fun work environment but you know when you have to be serious in order to get the work done.
Pros
25% staff discount
Cons
Fast pace
Don't work here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of putting clothing back on the floor, attending to customer needs, time doing customer transactions, setting up displays. My co-workers were amazing people that made going to work great. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who would come from area office. They assume you don't know how to do your job and treat you in a disrespectful manner. The most enjoyable part was being around my co-workers. Some members of management were fantastic and were what you would want as a manager and others were not so great. Some of them did not pull their weight and were unapproachable.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
area office visits, bad management
the amount of complacency is horrendous, but not surprising
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
The company would benefit from people who are actually educated, people who have sense and the capacity to think rather than to excuse themselves from the poor management that is H&M. As a former Sales Advisor, the hours were not flexible and availability was disregarded - although availability was clearly stated through needs relating to illness. The store had to continuously operate through understaffed employment, which meant that the needs of the fast paced environment and amount of customers could not be met. Closing took at least two hours with not enough people on closing shifts to ensure that employees were not being burdened and made to work over-time although it is not stated that over-time is mandatory. I believe that management didn’t realize their constant complacency, or perhaps the lack of common sense was overshadowed by their blatant ignorance. At times where the store couldn’t operate to its full potential due to short staffed circumstances, management would make excuses or go as far as to put the blame on others. No improvement was done, or maybe there was but the rate productivity is comparable to their distinguishable stupidity. Of course, what makes this complete without favouritism? It seems that availability is only honoured and respected when you can win the adoration of your managers and fellow employees. H&M truly believes their a place of ‘possible’ - a place where the possibility of meeting the physical manifestation of managers with no sense of mental capacity becomes the inevitable. I think the best way to represent the attitudes I experienced  more... was ‘Let’s yell at all the customers and employees because I don’t exactly know how to state a good argument for my poor behaviour, aggression is how we enforce conformity - intimidation is a form of intelligence, isn’t it?’ In the simplest terms - people would benefit more if they weren’t treated as breathing bodies to fulfil targeted sales.  less
Pros
the breaks were half an hour to an hour long
Cons
everything else was unprofessional, but you can't really expect much
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 13, 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
A great job for a student
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 7, 2015
A great flexible job for a full time or a part time student that need time to study. They respect your requests.
It is a fun place to work in, everyone is very nice and acceptable. Everyone become a family.