H&M

H&M Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced, deadline driven, and team orientated
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONOctober 2, 2013
Pros: using creativity, working with fashion
Cons: unpaid lunches, low wage
A typical day at H&M as a visual merchandiser begins with an early morning meeting with all managers working that day. During the meeting target sales goals are discussed, and planning of setting up sales are also talked about. After the meeting the merchandisers break off and begin planning and implementing all the store campaigns and activities (sales.) – more... As a visual merchandiser you are responsible for presenting garments to customers based on H&M guidelines, also responsible for maintenance and care of all the display materials whether it be for in store use (such as signage and mannequins) and outside store use (such as window displays.)

Working with management and co-workers are essential because they often help the visual merchandisers to set up campaigns and sales. All involving different tasks such as hanging signage, making signage, tagging garments, folding garments, hanging garments, and ensuring proper customer service.

The hardest part of the job was stress due to not meeting sale target goals. However, not meeting the target sales goals pushed me as an employee to do the best merchandising possible - indirect and directly to the customer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was using my creativity everyday. Everyday on the job was different and each day held different set tasks. – less
Retail can be a great experience if you make it one.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2013
Pros: free h&m magazine, great staff, positive environment
Cons: angry customers
A typical day of work at H&M starts off with a sales advisor meeting where the sales associates are given an update on what store promotions, sales goals, areas of improvement, and store focuses, new trends are for the day. As a part time associate I provide customer service to a wide variety of different customers as well as maintain the cleanliness – more... of the store. The management team at H&M are really great they always listen to what we as employees have to say and going into work as always a positive experience. The co-workers are good people to work with, we all work as one team and constantly help each other out in any way we can. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with such a wide variety of different customers with different needs and wants. I learned that patience is a virtue and that if you keep a positive attitude any situation the outcome will most likely be a positive one. I enjoy the fashions that H&M has to offer as well as their free magazine, of which I am complete utter fan for. – less
Great Place
Supervisor (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 24, 2013
Pros: great environment
Cons: not much room for advancement
I always enjoyed working at H&M. The team was fabulous, the days were fast paced, the experiences were endless within the fashion industry.

H&M is a wonderful company to work for. When a new store is opened in a different city and even a different country, postings are listed to apply for to go and aid in the opening. The one great thing about that – more... is the opportunity to travel, expand your knowledge and encounter new people who have a passion for the same things you do. It also allows your leadership skills to come into full effect as you have the previous knowledge from working in the store and now have to assist the new staff who are preparing for the opening.

Coworkers and work environment was always fun and lighthearted. – less
fun place to work
Department supervisor (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: sometimes free lunch
Cons: night shifts
everything is great at H&M,
we are one team
my co-workers are really friendly
The best retailer to work for - ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 21, 2013
Pros: awesome company, awesome benefits & lots of fun!
Cons: some people (but you'll have those wherever you go...)
I often think it would be awesome to go back to H&M...

The company itself and what it stands for is by far (in my opinion) one of the best to work for. The benefits cannot compare to any other that I've ever had (everything was100% except for dental at 80% - and that was if the company paid for it! If you decided to buy into it ($7 every pay period – more... - then everything was 100%.) The core values were lived every day (you will have people and management whom don't - but that's everywhere I guess.)

The work was hard sometimes, but never the less it was fun! – less
Ideal Workplace if only I can be a full timer here
SALES ADVISOR (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABJune 13, 2013
most of the people there are only offered part time position
Every day is a challenge and you never get bored
Project Leader (Current Employee), Stockholm, ABMay 10, 2013
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short lunch
H&M is a big international company who expands every year and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to work for it.

A typical day at work starts with a meeting to go through the tasks of the day. We plan the day and divide the tasks between a group of 4-6 people and start working to reach the goals of the day.

I have learned the value – more... of co-workers and team work and to appreciate everyones hard work. Supporting each other is a very important factor in this kind of job and that's something employees at H&M do.

Management at H&M is very structured and organised. They make sure that everything is being done and done the right way. Nothing leaves the company unless it has been through every type of judgement.

My co-workers are very smart and driven and work hard to satisfy our demographics and our company. We have a lot of pressure on us but working together and having the right team dynamic makes us work hard and fulfil the goals that are set out for us.

The hardest part of the job is to balance everyones opinions and thoughts. It sometimes comes to the point where some ideas have to be left out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you never know what's coming. You don't know what your day will look like until you get there. – less
Great place to work. great environment. very productive company.
Part time & Full time Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Windsor, ONApril 30, 2013
I've been with the company for many years now, and i love everything about it. there is nothing bad i can say about the company. met a lot of great people who are my good friends today. very fast pace company but its enjoyable.
Very busy store
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCApril 3, 2013
Pros: fun environment, great staff
Cons: long hours
At H&M, I was working in the children's section, managing the inventory and helping the customer find what they are looking for. I would help on the cash, I was very fast and my first time working as a cashier. It was a very fun environment to work at, although the closing time was very long since there is a lot of merchandise and sometimes the clients – more... would throw the merchandise on the floor, therefore it would take an hour and half sometimes to clean the store. But, it was a fun first job and had an amazing staff working with me. – less
Supportive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mapleview Mall, Burlington, ONMarch 20, 2013
I enjoyed every minute I worked here. The staff and company values were always amazing. I was challenged every day and supported in my endeavours, personal and professional.
A Job to Learn By
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: straightforward
Cons: poor lighting
Working at H&M clothes was fairly straightforward. A typical day consisted of sorting clothing to go be shipped elsewhere, and to transport boxes around the warehouse.

It was here I learned how to take stock, and how to work under my own direction.
......
Department Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 23, 2013
Enjoyed working for HM, great team enviroment and fast pace. Needs to improve on it's structure, consistancy from Area team and invest in having additional employees on the sales floor in order to meet customer needs.
You can do better.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Edinburgh, ONDecember 20, 2012
Pros: flexible time off
Cons: inflexible policies for handling customer requests.
This company values sales more than its employees. Despite the fact that I worked as a customer service representative (basically resolving complaints) it was impossible to advance within the company without making sales targets that were never discussed prior to commencing with the company.

Original ideas for improving current policies were completely – more... ignored, even discouraged by management.

Co-workers were over-qualified, intelligent, genuinely nice people. – less
Awesome Fashion. Awesome People
Department Manager In-Training, Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2012
Everyday is different, different tasks and difficulties. I heard learned alot and moved up quickly.
Overall good
Responsible Sales Adviser (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2012
Very good student job while attending school. Many benefits such as employee discount and competitions with other stores.
Good for retail.
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Harrogate, ENGAugust 19, 2014
Pros: holiday allowance
Cons: long hours, can't take holiday during busy weeks
For a big company H&M are not bad to work for. I've outgrown retail but anyone with a real passion for fashion I'd recommend H&M.
fastpace
Sales/ VisiualMerchandise (Former Employee), Wayne, NJAugust 18, 2014
doing visuals every week with store change helping customers with purchases co workers were very eclectic but fun...staying over night was hard at times
Productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Puente hillsAugust 18, 2014
H&M store has a great atmosphere to be in.
if you give your 100 % they will definitely help you grow with the company
good fun work place environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch, benefits
A day at H&M its pretty cool depending on the day I've learned a lot working there this past year I've learned how deal with all kinds of customer, working with new product. My coworkers are good as well even the new employees great to work with always a fun moment.

Hardest part of the job is not getting the customer what they want especially if we – more... don't have it in stock

most enjoyable part is helping the customer and meeting new people in the process. – less
toys store
part-time sales advisor (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 15, 2014
fun and exciting place to be
very helpful
great incintivites

About H&M

H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB (operating as H&M) is a Swedish retail-clothing company, known for its fast-fashion clothing – Read more