H&M

1.5K reviews

H&M Employee Reviews

Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 5, 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 2, 2016
I worked here basically my whole working life. there is plenty of room for advancement. the management is very accommodating. and I am still great friends with people I worked with
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
H&M is the best retail company to work. Why? They believe in people and we are one team. Everyone that works at H&M are family.
Pros
You can be yourself
Fast Pace Environment with Awesome Management and Co-Workers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 20, 2016
Its a fast pace environment where you have to deal with be able to multi-task between helping customers, putting clothes away, being on cash and being in the fitting rooms. The management team is awesome and are always available to help support staff when they need assistance. The co-workers are very helpful and we all support and rely on each other, its a very fun work environment but you know when you have to be serious in order to get the work done.
Pros
25% staff discount
Cons
Fast pace
Don't work here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of putting clothing back on the floor, attending to customer needs, time doing customer transactions, setting up displays. My co-workers were amazing people that made going to work great. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who would come from area office. They assume you don't know how to do your job and treat you in a disrespectful manner. The most enjoyable part was being around my co-workers. Some members of management were fantastic and were what you would want as a manager and others were not so great. Some of them did not pull their weight and were unapproachable.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
area office visits, bad management
the amount of complacency is horrendous, but not surprising
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
The company would benefit from people who are actually educated, people who have sense and the capacity to think rather than to excuse themselves from the poor management that is H&M. As a former Sales Advisor, the hours were not flexible and availability was disregarded - although availability was clearly stated through needs relating to illness. The store had to continuously operate through understaffed employment, which meant that the needs of the fast paced environment and amount of customers could not be met. Closing took at least two hours with not enough people on closing shifts to ensure that employees were not being burdened and made to work over-time although it is not stated that over-time is mandatory. I believe that management didn’t realize their constant complacency, or perhaps the lack of common sense was overshadowed by their blatant ignorance. At times where the store couldn’t operate to its full potential due to short staffed circumstances, management would make excuses or go as far as to put the blame on others. No improvement was done, or maybe there was but the rate productivity is comparable to their distinguishable stupidity. Of course, what makes this complete without favouritism? It seems that availability is only honoured and respected when you can win the adoration of your managers and fellow employees. H&M truly believes their a place of ‘possible’ - a place where the possibility of meeting the physical manifestation of managers with no sense of mental capacity becomes the inevitable. I think the best way to represent the attitudes I experienced  more... was ‘Let’s yell at all the customers and employees because I don’t exactly know how to state a good argument for my poor behaviour, aggression is how we enforce conformity - intimidation is a form of intelligence, isn’t it?’ In the simplest terms - people would benefit more if they weren’t treated as breathing bodies to fulfil targeted sales.  less
Pros
the breaks were half an hour to an hour long
Cons
everything else was unprofessional, but you can't really expect much
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 13, 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
A great job for a student
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 7, 2015
A great flexible job for a full time or a part time student that need time to study. They respect your requests.
It is a fun place to work in, everyone is very nice and acceptable. Everyone become a family.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales R (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work.
Learned many valuable skills in retail.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Friendly Co workers, Fun work place
Cons
lazy managers at times
Super fast paced job environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2015
Everyone is friendly and there is always something to do, never bored. also its super easy to get days off, very flexible with their hours.
Good place to learn customer service skills
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
The company met my expectations in regards to their regard to employee needs and adhered to company standards during my time there.
good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 8, 2015
Its a nice environment to work at. Supportive management team.
Good hours, good location. Great learning experience.
The people there are what make the job what it is, a family feel.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 4, 2015
It has it ups and down for sure....

There is a lot of staff, but such high turn over rates that most of the staff is usually new. A typical includes running around like a crazy person trying to get things done, there are always quite a bit of customers in the store at all times of the day. Management, is tricky. They are all kind people for the most part, however most of them are young and lack personable skills, and there is quite a bit of a "high school" feel at times. The most difficult part of the job would probably be what you are expected of, compared to the salary, and that there never seems to be full communication through management and employees. The most enjoyable part for me, because I have been there a couple of years, I have built close relationships with the people that are there. Gives me a sense of comfort.
Pros
great lunch room
Cons
bad hours, immature management.
Work life at H&M
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 4, 2015
A typical day for me at H&M is organizing, stocking, cleaning and visualizing the store to invite customers. I've learned how to have good customer service, with this job you need a lot of experience with that. The management was great. My co-workers were close to me, I guess I get along with people very well. They were like family to me. Hardest part of this job was trying to deal with customers that gave the hardest time. The most enjoyable, I'd have to say dressing the mannequins, designing the store, organizing and stocking new clothes out on the floor.
Pros
Inviting staff
Cons
Free time after most of the work is done, I dont like not having tasks. I like to continuously work.
fun place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2015
Working with a great team of managers, and staff. Very fast paced, need to be able to multi task. Great customers. Learn how to give great customer service. Use different electronics as related to the job
Pros
people
Cons
nothing
Lots of hard, tiring work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  TorontoAugust 5, 2015
a typical day of work is constantly cleaning and folding, and re-cleaning and re-folding the entire store, and running things from the fits. Hardest part of the job is how physically demanding and non-stop it is. management, can be good, but there's a lot of stuck up people who work there.
Pros
long hours (big pay cheques), some good co workers
Cons
long hours, rude customers, fast paced environment, constantly on your feet
Acceptance
Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, OntarioJuly 31, 2015
While working at H&M, I found that management was not doing their jobs correctly. I worked retail for many years and I've never experience something like this before. It is very catty, unreliable, unprofessional, and unjustified at times. Management plays favourites which is absolutely uncalled for. They are also very manipulative and would rather give you bad advice rather than help you.

The only thing I liked at my store was the people! My co-workers tried their very best to stay together and help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job, was literally all the stress that was constantly being pushed out in the work environment.
h&m
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Burlington OntarioJuly 11, 2015
H&M is a good company to work for with lots of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. They also have a great charitable belief system
Productive, fast pace fun place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2015
Planing, controling, evaluating operations, managing and developing staff, assigning duties, customer service. Fast pace environment, where we learn to be team player, respecting each other, and not forgething to have fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 3, 2015
A great place to work with fair management and policies along with amazing staff. The fast pace environment encourages associates to practice teamwork skills,which allows for more efficient means of work. Adapting to situations that are out of ones control is a skill that one must obtain when working in costumer service.
Pros
Always something to do, fast pace, learning opportunities everyday
Cons
Working weekends, part-time salary