H&M Employee Reviews

Where Favoritism and Nepotism live !!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
Worked at H&M for almost 5 years, it was a great place to work in the beginning but things started going down hill after 2 years. Favoritism and Nepotism was the best practices that the Support office did. The best place to work survey was a joke and was always rigged. Overall was a great place but it's Leaders at the Support office were people with little or no skill.
The salary was peanuts and their expectations was through the roof.
Its great for part time as you dont have to deal with the useless support office. No overtime but they expect you to give your life to the company. You can have advancement opportunities only if you sucked up to the corporate office leaders.
Pros
Fashionable clothes
Cons
Long hours, no recognition, favoritism . No advancement
Very productive and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Maintains promotional database by inputting invoice and bill-back data.
Updates managers by consolidating, analyzing, and forwarding daily action summaries.
Resolves order and inventory problems by investigating data and history; identifying alternate means for filling orders; notifying managers and customers.
Resolves promotional allowance, rebate, and pricing discrepancies by researching promotion details and regular and special prices; forwarding resolution to managers.
Provides product, promotion, and pricing information by clarifying customer request; selecting appropriate information; forwarding information; answering questions.
Pros
a lot of hours
Sociable but intense atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 August 2016
A typical day at work meant a lot of opportunities to improve the general ambiance of the store. However, this was often hard to do because of the constant calling out of fellow coworkers. The traffic of the store was intense and called on more hours from the younger employees. The lighting and air conditioning made working conditions strenuous, and thus socializing with customers was limited. Although management provided many benefits with conversion expertise, it was still difficult communicating with the team in an effective and fluid manner. Lastly, the hiring manager was forthcoming and extremely professional. In fact this is what made work so particularly enjoyable and productive.
Pros
Discounts and gatherings
Cons
Long hours that extended training limits and reduced the effectivity of clocking start-end times.
Micromanagment Exemplified
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
Watch your back here, the knives are very sharp and quick to cut. That is for most, unless you're one of the chosen few who are favourites of the country manager.

Pay is ok, you'll work incredible hours and don't expect recognition unless you're in the favourites crowd.

Be sure to copy your manager on everything, just so they "can protect you". That's really code for not having a trusting environment where tasks can be delegated. The theme is manage the bejeezus out of anyone who might report to you and then spin their reporting if it's hurting your department, aka throw everyone under the bus.

Supplier relationships are fleeting, give H&M what they want for the cheapest price possible and they'll still add more work for the supplier at the supplier's cost.
Pros
Might get weekends off
Cons
extremely long hours, micromanagement style
Need more staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 September 2016
Certain locations are probably worse to work for than others. My specific locations had us closing our store at 9pm yet being there until almost 1am to clean.

Management showed little interest in the associates well-being. I ha a mannequin fall on my foot and a report was not written. When I went to call in sick the next day, there was attitude given towards me as well as the manager pretending they weren't aware of the incident.

Labour cost is so important to these companies that when employees are overworked to keep it low rather than having a larger team to help, no one cares. It's unfortunate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff, overworked
not a great place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 May 2016
Had been with Company for 9 yrs for the last 6 months we had been without a store manager and were expected to do the job often would come in on my own time to catch up on stuff as time was not allocated and often went 7 or more weeks without getting a proper weekend off .

The Salary was good as were Vacation time and benefits

time allocation to get truck done and other things was not realistic

Upper Management playing favourites and only furthering careers if your face fit

Loved how they embraced Conscious actions definitely a plus and was trained in first aid WSIB
Some upper management HR and Security very good at their Job ! Area Manager not so much he is very condescending plays favourites and often is not in the same mindset as the rest of the area team and will contradict many routines often mocked by his peers behind his back

Country Manager is amazing ! She will roll up her sleeves and is not afraid of hard work
Pros
benefits vacations and pay
Cons
coming in on day off to work for free many weeks without weekend off stress
Job is fun and easy, but management needs serious work
Sales Advisor, Responsible (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 March 2016
I worked at H&M for a 18 months. There were many things I enjoyed about this job - co-workers, location, ease of job, even the staff meetings were fun. What I didn't like, and what ultimately made me quit, was the in-office politics and gossip mill. Many times, this also included the managers talking behind employees' backs, not taking their employees' opinions into consideration, and acting selfish and immature. When this issue was raised with Canada's head office, they didn't even seem to bat an eye. The issues remained unresolved while I was working there. Hopefully now they have been, because if management wises up, I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work.
Pros
discounts, enjoyable work, easy, options for advancement, lots of free food
Cons
management, repetitive work
Such a great experience
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
Honest a typical shift would be working in fits helping people and delivering great customer service as always working the floor doing the running but also never getting my break having to pick up alot of slack from other people that would show up extremely late. I've learned soo much and got to work with amazing people who are happy all the time the hardest part about the job was the management team they were very unorganized and fail to really take care of their employees but the most enjoyable part was the diversity and eye-opening experiences of different people who all share love for the same brand
Pros
great people
Cons
not organized
Unethical, Unprofressional and Abusive Workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2017
Bullying, Poor Communication, Low Pay/High Work Load, Unethical Shift Hours.

This company is good at marketing their work place but the management at this particular store is very unethical. The turnover rate is extremely high and the people who have quit have all experienced this. I just want to highlight my points so people applying can read about what goes on here. I left my job there due to these circumstances and stand by all these observations.

Managers belittle other managers to employees, managers talk down upon other employees to employees. This creates a culture of negative gossip in which employees will want to befriend the managers in order to not be bullied. This also creates a culture of fraternization. Respecting the power figures is of certain importance, any feedback is met with no changes what so ever.

Pay is minimum wage. You are on your feet your entire shift, breaks are frowned upon you can get between 4-9 hr shifts. Be prepared to be standing this long as well as running around. The job itself as expected is doing cash, customer service, processing shipments and putting out new clothes. Your functions will change every hour. Some days you will not get a break, you could be working until midnight and work at 7am the next day. This is EXPECTED. You are expected to work these types of hours for minimum wage. You will notice there is little to no consistency with the management, most will do whatever they want, this confuses employees on what the standard operating procedures actually should be creating a really difficult environment as there's no
  more... real direction, especially with managers talking badly about other managers.

Part time employees do most of the work for minimum wage and there isn't enough of them. Managers are paid well with benefits. However the environment at my store was extremely toxic. I think the company has a good direction but they do not have the right people executing it at certain locations.

If you are a looking for a part time job I would look elsewhere, it's marketed as a "fun job" but there's virtually no fun involved. You are expected to work in silence some days for increased productivity. Missed breaks happen often, long hours with incomprehensible tasks. A task may be to clean an entire department by yourself, help customers, do cash, and expect everything to look according to standard by the end of the night without help from others. Customers will clearly note there isn't enough people. If the company thinks this produces productivity that's up to them but everyone else can be the judge of that. Don't be deceived by their marketing, behind the scenes it's not well run. Lack of training in managing people as well as human resources is quickly seen.
Pros
Friendy co workers, Clothing discount
Cons
Bad management, low wage, unethical practices
Fun Staff/Management!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 October 2016
Great place to work so far, excellent staff and management.
When starting, there is a bit of a learning curve because of the product knowledge being so complex; however the management and training program is very helpful.
Pros
Great Staff
H&m
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
an amazing atmosphere with great regular customers.Management was amazing and constantly would push us to hit better sales goals which i greatly appreciated as I enjoyed the challenge.We would often deal with angry customers but I never let it bother me as I take very few things personally.Overall a great experience and company to work for.
Pros
employee discounts on new clothing
Cons
the hours were never set, it was basically on call or whenever they desperately needed someone.
Amazing employer!
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Canada10 February 2017
A great company to work, where the opportunities are endless. The workdays are always different, with new challenges and learnings. To top off the great work environment, the benefits are great! I would recommend H&M to anyone looking to get into the fashion business.
Pros
Fast paced, challenging, great benefits, great opportunities
Cons
requires someone who can handle heavy work load and fast pace environment
Fashion Consultant ( Trained in London ) (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON16 November 2016
I learnt lots of thing , that help me to grow in future .Good working culture nice to work in a different environment.working with h&m change my life and make me learn new thing that devlop my skill and polish my skill.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Less customer service
H&M is a great place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 January 2017
Productivity in the store was above average.
The work environment changes every week and have to be ready for whatever comes your way.
The people you work with are absolutely genuine and great.
It has its ups and downs but overall its a great place to work.
Pros
Dynamic workers and great work environment
Cons
Short hours, management needs work, and policies are iffy
fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2017
learned to properly take care of your clothing and give a sense of style to your wardrobe. management was ok, some of them was the best in the world and others would be rude and not be very professional. but the good out weighed the bad.
Pros
20% discount, good experience
Cons
short hours, always on call
Family like environment
Sales and Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2017
There's always something productive to do when working, and always friendly co-workers. The management always pushes you to improve and grow with the company if you feel so.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
inconsistent part time hours
Management and coworkers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
People you work with at H&M give you a positive vibe, family feeling. The management's work ethic is great. Customers may get a little hectic, but nothing that cant be managed.
Welcoming
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC10 February 2017
All staff were welcoming and very professional. Management showed great organization and were very understanding to all their employees.
Pros
Staff parties
Fun, Caring Community, Leaders
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Downtown Toronto16 April 2016
H&M had a lot to offer. Great opportunities to become a leader and to be and individual.Loving/caring Management and co-workers.Best part about working at H&M is that you always felt included and proud to work with people who are just as hard working as you are. Worst part about working at H&M is that sometimes you receive really short hours E.g 3-4 hrs and sometimes really long hours E.g 8-10hrs.
Pros
Getting paid on your Birthday without having to work
Cons
Really short or really long hours
longterm employment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 July 2016
things started out great, but eventually it gets a little stale. You do the same thing constantly. Too much focus on profits instead of on growth and 'fun' of job.
Pros
salary, job security
Cons
expanded too fast, lack of talented workers