H&M Employee Reviews

Sociable but intense atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 August 2016
A typical day at work meant a lot of opportunities to improve the general ambiance of the store. However, this was often hard to do because of the constant calling out of fellow coworkers. The traffic of the store was intense and called on more hours from the younger employees. The lighting and air conditioning made working conditions strenuous, and thus socializing with customers was limited. Although management provided many benefits with conversion expertise, it was still difficult communicating with the team in an effective and fluid manner. Lastly, the hiring manager was forthcoming and extremely professional. In fact this is what made work so particularly enjoyable and productive.
Pros
Discounts and gatherings
Cons
Long hours that extended training limits and reduced the effectivity of clocking start-end times.
not a great place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 May 2016
Had been with Company for 9 yrs for the last 6 months we had been without a store manager and were expected to do the job often would come in on my own time to catch up on stuff as time was not allocated and often went 7 or more weeks without getting a proper weekend off .

The Salary was good as were Vacation time and benefits

time allocation to get truck done and other things was not realistic

Upper Management playing favourites and only furthering careers if your face fit

Loved how they embraced Conscious actions definitely a plus and was trained in first aid WSIB
Some upper management HR and Security very good at their Job ! Area Manager not so much he is very condescending plays favourites and often is not in the same mindset as the rest of the area team and will contradict many routines often mocked by his peers behind his back

Country Manager is amazing ! She will roll up her sleeves and is not afraid of hard work
Pros
benefits vacations and pay
Cons
coming in on day off to work for free many weeks without weekend off stress
Job is fun and easy, but management needs serious work
Sales Advisor, Responsible (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 March 2016
I worked at H&M for a 18 months. There were many things I enjoyed about this job - co-workers, location, ease of job, even the staff meetings were fun. What I didn't like, and what ultimately made me quit, was the in-office politics and gossip mill. Many times, this also included the managers talking behind employees' backs, not taking their employees' opinions into consideration, and acting selfish and immature. When this issue was raised with Canada's head office, they didn't even seem to bat an eye. The issues remained unresolved while I was working there. Hopefully now they have been, because if management wises up, I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work.
Pros
discounts, enjoyable work, easy, options for advancement, lots of free food
Cons
management, repetitive work
Very productive and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Maintains promotional database by inputting invoice and bill-back data.
Updates managers by consolidating, analyzing, and forwarding daily action summaries.
Resolves order and inventory problems by investigating data and history; identifying alternate means for filling orders; notifying managers and customers.
Resolves promotional allowance, rebate, and pricing discrepancies by researching promotion details and regular and special prices; forwarding resolution to managers.
Provides product, promotion, and pricing information by clarifying customer request; selecting appropriate information; forwarding information; answering questions.
Pros
a lot of hours
Micromanagment Exemplified
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
Watch your back here, the knives are very sharp and quick to cut. That is for most, unless you're one of the chosen few who are favourites of the country manager.

Pay is ok, you'll work incredible hours and don't expect recognition unless you're in the favourites crowd.

Be sure to copy your manager on everything, just so they "can protect you". That's really code for not having a trusting environment where tasks can be delegated. The theme is manage the bejeezus out of anyone who might report to you and then spin their reporting if it's hurting your department, aka throw everyone under the bus.

Supplier relationships are fleeting, give H&M what they want for the cheapest price possible and they'll still add more work for the supplier at the supplier's cost.
Pros
Might get weekends off
Cons
extremely long hours, micromanagement style
longterm employment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 July 2016
things started out great, but eventually it gets a little stale. You do the same thing constantly. Too much focus on profits instead of on growth and 'fun' of job.
Pros
salary, job security
Cons
expanded too fast, lack of talented workers
Fun place to work but not good work life balance
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
Love the staff, benefits are great, pay is okay but not what you would expect. The downside is the balance between work and personal life.
Amazing company to work for
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 July 2016
As a company H&M is always trying to ensure it is a rewarding workplace. They provide a great salary, are willing to work with your schedule and amazing opportunities to grow with the company..and you always get paid for your birthday!
Need more staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 September 2016
Certain locations are probably worse to work for than others. My specific locations had us closing our store at 9pm yet being there until almost 1am to clean.

Management showed little interest in the associates well-being. I ha a mannequin fall on my foot and a report was not written. When I went to call in sick the next day, there was attitude given towards me as well as the manager pretending they weren't aware of the incident.

Labour cost is so important to these companies that when employees are overworked to keep it low rather than having a larger team to help, no one cares. It's unfortunate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff, overworked
Fun Staff/Management!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 October 2016
Great place to work so far, excellent staff and management.
When starting, there is a bit of a learning curve because of the product knowledge being so complex; however the management and training program is very helpful.
Pros
Great Staff
Fun, Caring Community, Leaders
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Downtown Toronto16 April 2016
H&M had a lot to offer. Great opportunities to become a leader and to be and individual.Loving/caring Management and co-workers.Best part about working at H&M is that you always felt included and proud to work with people who are just as hard working as you are. Worst part about working at H&M is that sometimes you receive really short hours E.g 3-4 hrs and sometimes really long hours E.g 8-10hrs.
Pros
Getting paid on your Birthday without having to work
Cons
Really short or really long hours
The people there are what make the job what it is, a family feel.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 September 2015
It has it ups and down for sure....

There is a lot of staff, but such high turn over rates that most of the staff is usually new. A typical includes running around like a crazy person trying to get things done, there are always quite a bit of customers in the store at all times of the day. Management, is tricky. They are all kind people for the most part, however most of them are young and lack personable skills, and there is quite a bit of a "high school" feel at times. The most difficult part of the job would probably be what you are expected of, compared to the salary, and that there never seems to be full communication through management and employees. The most enjoyable part for me, because I have been there a couple of years, I have built close relationships with the people that are there. Gives me a sense of comfort.
Pros
great lunch room
Cons
bad hours, immature management.
Fashion Consultant ( Trained in London ) (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON16 November 2016
I learnt lots of thing , that help me to grow in future .Good working culture nice to work in a different environment.working with h&m change my life and make me learn new thing that devlop my skill and polish my skill.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Less customer service
Fun workplace
Vendeur conseil (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC23 April 2016
I worked at H&M for approximatively 6 months, and I loved it ! I love the rotation shifts. That is every hour you get to do something different. One hour you might be in the fits, while the other hour you're at cash. The best part of my work were my co-workers. We formed a great team. The management was awesome as well ! H&M taught me how to multitask and work under pressure. It is super fast-spaced environnement, be aware ! At first, it was hard for me to adjust, but after a while you get the hang of it. I enjoyed the fact that time flew super quickly and that there's always something do to. Unfortunately, I had to quit as I am getting into university and have to find something that pays more to cover my tuition. Also, the dead season is quite intense.. from january to march you practically get no hours.. I had like 8 hours a week... lol you do the math....
Pros
Gift-card, managers, co-workers
Cons
pay, dead season
A great place for Teamwork
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2016
A typical day at work revolves around managing the rushes within the store and ensuring we finish the closing routine in a timely manner. Working with your team is an integral aspect of this job as you always have to know where your colleagues are and call for help when needed. Management is very easy to approach and are very understanding to employees that are also in school and are there to give you feedback if needed. The company makes sure to hire people that would fit in with the work environment and with the team as a whole so everyone gets along and are willing to help one another. The hardest part of the job was when I started as I had to adapt quickly to the fast paced environment which I was not used to. The customers are also sometimes difficult to please so you have to be very patient and understanding. The most enjoyable part of my job is working as a team with my colleagues.
Pros
They will get us food on event days and everyone is very personable.
Cons
Low-pay and not enough hours for those who want to make more money.
Positive and fun workplace filled with young inspiring individuals
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 August 2016
Do you want a cool, upbeat, modern place to work? Look no further, as the management will include you right away no matter what age group you belong in.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Very busy
productive and fun
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 July 2016
Team work oriented
learn to cope with highly intense situations i.e. holiday rush hours
the management is very laid back and easy to talk to but always make sure the company is operating well.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
strenuous
fun place to work with an excellent place to grow
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 August 2016
-management was awesome and very organized
-co-workers all got along. no drama
-lots of opportunities
-super fun and positive environment
-big store so lots to clean
-very fast pace
Fun workplace, constant room for advancing
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 March 2016
A typical day at work involves a team meeting before starting your shift, followed by a list of what you could expect to be doing that day and then you're off to help out customers! I learned a lot about one on one contact with customers and really listening to their wants and needs as well as patience! Management was always there when you needed them and never had any trouble answering questions for you or doing whatever they could to make your work day a little easier! my coworkers were always excellent to work with, i looked forward to being there every day because of them. The hardest part of the job would be the technical difficulties with machinery that happened frequently, but that is unavoidable in such a large store. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching a customer leave the store feeling excited about their new purchases!
Pros
Often times we were rewarded with free stuff, flexible work hours
Cons
often times we would have to cut hours, based on sales.
Productive & Fun Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON25 September 2016
Everyone is friendly at work, on weekdays it's not as bad. But weekends can be stressful, especially if your closing. Other than that, its great, I'm really bummed that I have to quit soon.
Pros
25% discount on all items purchased at any H&M.
Cons
Closing the store can be quite stressful at times.