H&M Employee Reviews

Capitalism at it's finest
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 March 2017
The company does not care about the workers. To anyone who is applying, the longest shift you will get is 5 hours max and 1-2 shifts per week. The management does not care about the worker's concerns because they are more concerned about meeting sales quotas. I understand that if the store isn't making enough money that means less hours but if there is a high turnover rate in employees there is something wrong within the company and its policies. I highly urge that you do not apply if you are a student in university, you will not get shifts and you will no choice but to quit because you cannot pay your tuition working one 3 hour shift per week
Pros
literally none
Cons
No hours, it's a waste of time
Such a great experience
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
Honest a typical shift would be working in fits helping people and delivering great customer service as always working the floor doing the running but also never getting my break having to pick up alot of slack from other people that would show up extremely late. I've learned soo much and got to work with amazing people who are happy all the time the hardest part about the job was the management team they were very unorganized and fail to really take care of their employees but the most enjoyable part was the diversity and eye-opening experiences of different people who all share love for the same brand
Pros
great people
Cons
not organized
H&m
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
an amazing atmosphere with great regular customers.Management was amazing and constantly would push us to hit better sales goals which i greatly appreciated as I enjoyed the challenge.We would often deal with angry customers but I never let it bother me as I take very few things personally.Overall a great experience and company to work for.
Pros
employee discounts on new clothing
Cons
the hours were never set, it was basically on call or whenever they desperately needed someone.
Amazing employer!
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Canada10 February 2017
A great company to work, where the opportunities are endless. The workdays are always different, with new challenges and learnings. To top off the great work environment, the benefits are great! I would recommend H&M to anyone looking to get into the fashion business.
Pros
Fast paced, challenging, great benefits, great opportunities
Cons
requires someone who can handle heavy work load and fast pace environment
Where Favoritism and Nepotism live !!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
Worked at H&M for almost 5 years, it was a great place to work in the beginning but things started going down hill after 2 years. Favoritism and Nepotism was the best practices that the Support office did. The best place to work survey was a joke and was always rigged. Overall was a great place but it's Leaders at the Support office were people with little or no skill.
The salary was peanuts and their expectations was through the roof.
Its great for part time as you dont have to deal with the useless support office. No overtime but they expect you to give your life to the company. You can have advancement opportunities only if you sucked up to the corporate office leaders.
Pros
Fashionable clothes
Cons
Long hours, no recognition, favoritism . No advancement
Fellow employees make the job
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2017
Terrible management, terrible pay. Been working here part-time for many years, haven't had a raise in a very long time. This company is the worst to work for. Cutting back all part-time employees to 4 hour shifts! Not entitled to a break during the 4 hour shifts - this company needs to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. Absolute garbage.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention...
H&M is a great place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 January 2017
Productivity in the store was above average.
The work environment changes every week and have to be ready for whatever comes your way.
The people you work with are absolutely genuine and great.
It has its ups and downs but overall its a great place to work.
Pros
Dynamic workers and great work environment
Cons
Short hours, management needs work, and policies are iffy
perfect starting job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC25 March 2017
I learned all my job skills at this company
great people and great training
fun and safe environment
depending on your availabilities you might not get many hours
very understanding for students
every shift is something new and fun
hardest part is finding skills to deal with customers
Pros
great environment
Cons
not enough shifts
Very productive and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Maintains promotional database by inputting invoice and bill-back data.
Updates managers by consolidating, analyzing, and forwarding daily action summaries.
Resolves order and inventory problems by investigating data and history; identifying alternate means for filling orders; notifying managers and customers.
Resolves promotional allowance, rebate, and pricing discrepancies by researching promotion details and regular and special prices; forwarding resolution to managers.
Provides product, promotion, and pricing information by clarifying customer request; selecting appropriate information; forwarding information; answering questions.
Pros
a lot of hours
Cons
It's great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 March 2017
Depending on location it can be one of the most busiest stores. For me it was busy but you get used to the fast pace u have to be in. The pay may not feel like it's worth the amount of work you put in but the co workers, managers, and environment make up for it.
Pros
The discount was 25%
Cons
Pay
fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2017
learned to properly take care of your clothing and give a sense of style to your wardrobe. management was ok, some of them was the best in the world and others would be rude and not be very professional. but the good out weighed the bad.
Pros
20% discount, good experience
Cons
short hours, always on call
great team and atmospher
Sales Associate (current) (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS27 February 2017
I have worked for this company on two occasions and enjoy every minute of this work place. it is fast paced, dynamic, and excepting of all team members goals.
Pros
great enviromment, great team, great management
Cons
short shifts, lots of competition for hours.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 January 2017
Very fun place to work, co workers are hard working and make you feel right at home. The job as a whole is a great experience where you get to meet new and interesting people everyday and get a head start on new and trendy fashion styles.
Pros
Great coworkers
Micromanagment Exemplified
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
Watch your back here, the knives are very sharp and quick to cut. That is for most, unless you're one of the chosen few who are favourites of the country manager.

Pay is ok, you'll work incredible hours and don't expect recognition unless you're in the favourites crowd.

Be sure to copy your manager on everything, just so they "can protect you". That's really code for not having a trusting environment where tasks can be delegated. The theme is manage the bejeezus out of anyone who might report to you and then spin their reporting if it's hurting your department, aka throw everyone under the bus.

Supplier relationships are fleeting, give H&M what they want for the cheapest price possible and they'll still add more work for the supplier at the supplier's cost.
Pros
Might get weekends off
Cons
extremely long hours, micromanagement style
Family like environment
Sales and Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2017
There's always something productive to do when working, and always friendly co-workers. The management always pushes you to improve and grow with the company if you feel so.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
inconsistent part time hours
Fun and chill environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 March 2017
Company is a good company to work for, just the workload was too much to handle during my pregnancy. Training is really good and very detailed to help your success.
Pros
You get your birthday off and still get paid for it.
Decent Staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 February 2017
Filled with continuous work loads, and lacking empathy for staff often when an associate is placed into a department they are given little support during busy hours.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lack of positive work environment
Fashion Consultant ( Trained in London ) (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON16 November 2016
I learnt lots of thing , that help me to grow in future .Good working culture nice to work in a different environment.working with h&m change my life and make me learn new thing that devlop my skill and polish my skill.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Less customer service
Need more staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 September 2016
Certain locations are probably worse to work for than others. My specific locations had us closing our store at 9pm yet being there until almost 1am to clean.

Management showed little interest in the associates well-being. I ha a mannequin fall on my foot and a report was not written. When I went to call in sick the next day, there was attitude given towards me as well as the manager pretending they weren't aware of the incident.

Labour cost is so important to these companies that when employees are overworked to keep it low rather than having a larger team to help, no one cares. It's unfortunate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff, overworked
Fun Workplace, great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 March 2017
My CO-OP experience was great had a lot of project to do from floor organization and interaction with customers and employees, enjoy being able to help customers and attend to every need.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.