H&M Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun working environment at most times.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2016
Really good job experiment but not so good work environment, people are very rude and not friendly at the H&M at Yorkdale.
good crew lousy management
1st year apprentice (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 14, 2016
good pace lots of work a good crew as well as excellent pay.
i would defiantly work for that company again if they expanded to where i live
Amazing company to work for
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 10, 2016
As a company H&M is always trying to ensure it is a rewarding workplace. They provide a great salary, are willing to work with your schedule and amazing opportunities to grow with the company..and you always get paid for your birthday!
longterm employment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 6, 2016
things started out great, but eventually it gets a little stale. You do the same thing constantly. Too much focus on profits instead of on growth and 'fun' of job.
Pros
salary, job security
Cons
expanded too fast, lack of talented workers
H&M is the place of possible!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJuly 2, 2016
first joining H&M i wasn't sure on what H&M was all about. H&M is the place of possible, the acceptance of everyone associated with H&M is humbling. the ethics of the company is something everyone should live by!
Pros
the people!
Cons
could be repetitive work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
It's a great environment if you like a fast pace. There's always something to do, you will never find yourself standing or walking around looking for tasks to be completed.
Productive environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
H&M has always been one of my favourite clothing stores. Working for the company was definitely a worthwhile experience. I got the chance to learn a lot about fashion trends, and also to see how fashion is influenced by different cultures. It's a great company, and I would definitely consider going back.
not a great place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 24, 2016
Had been with Company for 9 yrs for the last 6 months we had been without a store manager and were expected to do the job often would come in on my own time to catch up on stuff as time was not allocated and often went 7 or more weeks without getting a proper weekend off .

The Salary was good as were Vacation time and benefits

time allocation to get truck done and other things was not realistic

Upper Management playing favourites and only furthering careers if your face fit

Loved how they embraced Conscious actions definitely a plus and was trained in first aid WSIB
Some upper management HR and Security very good at their Job ! Area Manager not so much he is very condescending plays favourites and often is not in the same mindset as the rest of the area team and will contradict many routines often mocked by his peers behind his back

Country Manager is amazing ! She will roll up her sleeves and is not afraid of hard work
Pros
benefits vacations and pay
Cons
coming in on day off to work for free many weeks without weekend off stress
A great place for Teamwork
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work revolves around managing the rushes within the store and ensuring we finish the closing routine in a timely manner. Working with your team is an integral aspect of this job as you always have to know where your colleagues are and call for help when needed. Management is very easy to approach and are very understanding to employees that are also in school and are there to give you feedback if needed. The company makes sure to hire people that would fit in with the work environment and with the team as a whole so everyone gets along and are willing to help one another. The hardest part of the job was when I started as I had to adapt quickly to the fast paced environment which I was not used to. The customers are also sometimes difficult to please so you have to be very patient and understanding. The most enjoyable part of my job is working as a team with my colleagues.
Pros
They will get us food on event days and everyone is very personable.
Cons
Low-pay and not enough hours for those who want to make more money.
Fun place
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
I had a wonderful seasonal experience. I enjoyed working extra hours because I gained much more money. My schedule was pretty flexible and I was given days off before my exams.
Fast paced, enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
Fast paced food service, typical day at work would be baking, working as barista and cleanup. Being available on cash, making food and taking in orders, as well as drive thru.
H&m
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 25, 2016
It's a positive environment, a safe place to work, h&m is like a small family and just overall an amazing place to work. A normal day would be a 10 hour shift but the plus side to that would be an hour break and then a 15 minute paid break.
Pros
free lunches
Fun workplace
Vendeur conseil (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCApril 23, 2016
I worked at H&M for approximatively 6 months, and I loved it ! I love the rotation shifts. That is every hour you get to do something different. One hour you might be in the fits, while the other hour you're at cash. The best part of my work were my co-workers. We formed a great team. The management was awesome as well ! H&M taught me how to multitask and work under pressure. It is super fast-spaced environnement, be aware ! At first, it was hard for me to adjust, but after a while you get the hang of it. I enjoyed the fact that time flew super quickly and that there's always something do to. Unfortunately, I had to quit as I am getting into university and have to find something that pays more to cover my tuition. Also, the dead season is quite intense.. from january to march you practically get no hours.. I had like 8 hours a week... lol you do the math....
Pros
Gift-card, managers, co-workers
Cons
pay, dead season
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 17, 2016
The managers are awesome; everyone makes it a very fun place to work; there are many opportunities for advancing in the company; H&M is a very honest and sustainable corporation and it is an honour to work for them.
Fun, Caring Community, Leaders
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Downtown TorontoApril 16, 2016
H&M had a lot to offer. Great opportunities to become a leader and to be and individual.Loving/caring Management and co-workers.Best part about working at H&M is that you always felt included and proud to work with people who are just as hard working as you are. Worst part about working at H&M is that sometimes you receive really short hours E.g 3-4 hrs and sometimes really long hours E.g 8-10hrs.
Pros
Getting paid on your Birthday without having to work
Cons
Really short or really long hours
Productive, busy workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Accessories Visual (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2016
Always busy;n always something that needed to be done. Never had time to be bored. Management could have been better in the sense of distributing hours and having more people working at peak hours, but overall an understanding bunch.
Pros
Good, flexible hours
Cons
A few long-term employees, who weren't very welcoming, nor willing to help out when you are new and didn't know what to do.
How I like to work at H&M
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anjou, QCApril 1, 2016
H&M encourages teamwork and we help each other and communicate efficiently with one another to meet the goal of the day. We are also encourage to work independently meaning to take our own initiatives and own decision regarding a situation or a problem. I work with a smile on my face everyday and I make sure to give a great customer service to each of my customers. I am the one responsible for everything concerning my department, which is the MEN department.

My co-workers and managers are fantastic. I've never been close to my managers and store manager ever! We all care about each other even though we are different. the dynamic is great and I like to come in to work everyday because at H&M, you are never alone.
Pros
fun and fashionable work environment, positive attitude
Cons
no fixed schedule
Job is fun and easy, but management needs serious work
Sales Advisor, Responsible (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 31, 2016
I worked at H&M for a 18 months. There were many things I enjoyed about this job - co-workers, location, ease of job, even the staff meetings were fun. What I didn't like, and what ultimately made me quit, was the in-office politics and gossip mill. Many times, this also included the managers talking behind employees' backs, not taking their employees' opinions into consideration, and acting selfish and immature. When this issue was raised with Canada's head office, they didn't even seem to bat an eye. The issues remained unresolved while I was working there. Hopefully now they have been, because if management wises up, I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work.
Pros
discounts, enjoyable work, easy, options for advancement, lots of free food
Cons
management, repetitive work
Fun workplace, constant room for advancing
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at work involves a team meeting before starting your shift, followed by a list of what you could expect to be doing that day and then you're off to help out customers! I learned a lot about one on one contact with customers and really listening to their wants and needs as well as patience! Management was always there when you needed them and never had any trouble answering questions for you or doing whatever they could to make your work day a little easier! my coworkers were always excellent to work with, i looked forward to being there every day because of them. The hardest part of the job would be the technical difficulties with machinery that happened frequently, but that is unavoidable in such a large store. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching a customer leave the store feeling excited about their new purchases!
Pros
Often times we were rewarded with free stuff, flexible work hours
Cons
often times we would have to cut hours, based on sales.
what its like at h&M?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 17, 2016
i think h&M is a great place to work, it is fun and up beat and fast paced, it keeps you moving all day, you get to work with a lot of fun people, and the day passes without you even noticing.