H&M Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Job is fun and easy, but management needs serious work
Sales Advisor, Responsible (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 31, 2016
Pros: discounts, enjoyable work, easy, options for advancement, lots of free food
Cons: management, repetitive work
I worked at H&M for a 18 months. There were many things I enjoyed about this job - co-workers, location, ease of job, even the staff meetings were fun. What I didn't like, and what ultimately made me quit, was the in-office politics and gossip mill. Many times, this also included the managers talking behind employees' backs, not taking their employees' opinions into consideration, and acting selfish and immature. When this issue was raised with Canada's head office, they didn't even seem to bat an eye. The issues remained unresolved while I was working there. Hopefully now they have been, because if management wises up, I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work.
The people there are what make the job what it is, a family feel.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Victoria, BCSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: great lunch room
Cons: bad hours, immature management.
It has it ups and down for sure....

There is a lot of staff, but such high turn over rates that most of the staff is usually new. A typical includes running around like a crazy person trying to get things done, there are always quite a bit of customers in the store at all times of the day. Management, is tricky. They are all kind people for the most part, however most of them are young and lack personable skills, and there is quite a bit of a "high school" feel at times. The most difficult part of the job would probably be what you are expected of, compared to the salary, and that there never seems to be full communication through management and employees. The most enjoyable part for me, because I have been there a couple of years, I have built close relationships with the people that are there. Gives me a sense of comfort.
Fun workplace, constant room for advancing
Sales advisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2016
Pros: Often times we were rewarded with free stuff, flexible work hours
Cons: often times we would have to cut hours, based on sales.
A typical day at work involves a team meeting before starting your shift, followed by a list of what you could expect to be doing that day and then you're off to help out customers! I learned a lot about one on one contact with customers and really listening to their wants and needs as well as patience! Management was always there when you needed them and never had any trouble answering questions for you or doing whatever they could to make your work day a little easier! my coworkers were always excellent to work with, i looked forward to being there every day because of them. The hardest part of the job would be the technical difficulties with machinery that happened frequently, but that is unavoidable in such a large store. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching a customer leave the store feeling excited about their new purchases!
okay job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: sometimes free lunch, fun co workers
Cons: rude customers, rude management
It is a good job in terms of flexibility but it gets tiring. You get rude customers but the managers can be really rude. It is repetitive but, if you love the culture of it, you will love the job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 2, 2016
I worked here basically my whole working life. there is plenty of room for advancement. the management is very accommodating. and I am still great friends with people I worked with
Don't work here
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: co-workers
Cons: area office visits, bad management
A typical day at work consisted of putting clothing back on the floor, attending to customer needs, time doing customer transactions, setting up displays. My co-workers were amazing people that made going to work great. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who would come from area office. They assume you don't know how to do your job and treat you in a disrespectful manner. The most enjoyable part was being around my co-workers. Some members of management were fantastic and were what you would want as a manager and others were not so great. Some of them did not pull their weight and were unapproachable.
Fast Pace Environment with Awesome Management and Co-Workers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: 25% staff discount
Cons: Fast pace
Its a fast pace environment where you have to deal with be able to multi-task between helping customers, putting clothes away, being on cash and being in the fitting rooms. The management team is awesome and are always available to help support staff when they need assistance. The co-workers are very helpful and we all support and rely on each other, its a very fun work environment but you know when you have to be serious in order to get the work done.
Friendly Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), KWMarch 15, 2016
It was a great experience working with H&M. You get to meet new people and deal with different situations. The management is great and the co-workers are really friendly. The best part about the job was that it helped me build up my confidence.
How I like to work at H&M
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Anjou, QCApril 1, 2016
Pros: fun and fashionable work environment, positive attitude
Cons: no fixed schedule
H&M encourages teamwork and we help each other and communicate efficiently with one another to meet the goal of the day. We are also encourage to work independently meaning to take our own initiatives and own decision regarding a situation or a problem. I work with a smile on my face everyday and I make sure to give a great customer service to each of my customers. I am the one responsible for everything concerning my department, which is the MEN department.

My co-workers and managers are fantastic. I've never been close to my managers and store manager ever! We all care about each other even though we are different. the dynamic is great and I like to come in to work everyday because at H&M, you are never alone.
Lots of hard, tiring work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), TorontoAugust 5, 2015
Pros: long hours (big pay cheques), some good co workers
Cons: long hours, rude customers, fast paced environment, constantly on your feet
a typical day of work is constantly cleaning and folding, and re-cleaning and re-folding the entire store, and running things from the fits. Hardest part of the job is how physically demanding and non-stop it is. management, can be good, but there's a lot of stuck up people who work there.
Work life at H&M
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Inviting staff
Cons: Free time after most of the work is done, I dont like not having tasks. I like to continuously work.
A typical day for me at H&M is organizing, stocking, cleaning and visualizing the store to invite customers. I've learned how to have good customer service, with this job you need a lot of experience with that. The management was great. My co-workers were close to me, I guess I get along with people very well. They were like family to me. Hardest part of this job was trying to deal with customers that gave the hardest time. The most enjoyable, I'd have to say dressing the mannequins, designing the store, organizing and stocking new clothes out on the floor.
Productive goal oriented team environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 3, 2016
Pros: Great management
Fast paced customer service with daily sale goals. Team oriented work place with very good management. Very friendly staff and great work ethics.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Always something to do, fast pace, learning opportunities everyday
Cons: Working weekends, part-time salary
A great place to work with fair management and policies along with amazing staff. The fast pace environment encourages associates to practice teamwork skills,which allows for more efficient means of work. Adapting to situations that are out of ones control is a skill that one must obtain when working in costumer service.
Head Office doesn't make crucial decisions
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Gatineau, QCMarch 15, 2016
There was many issues with regards to a manager and few workers. Head office realized the issue, visited on multiple occasions and got letters from every single employee. Nothing was done in a span of almost 2 years. The schedules are changed without any let alone, proper notice. They mix complaints, reviews and surveys and have no care for employee opinion, beyond the scope of making it seem like they do with "useless" questionnaires that reached no one and resolved nothing.
Fun, Caring Community, Leaders
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Downtown TorontoApril 16, 2016
Pros: Getting paid on your Birthday without having to work
Cons: Really short or really long hours
H&M had a lot to offer. Great opportunities to become a leader and to be and individual.Loving/caring Management and co-workers.Best part about working at H&M is that you always felt included and proud to work with people who are just as hard working as you are. Worst part about working at H&M is that sometimes you receive really short hours E.g 3-4 hrs and sometimes really long hours E.g 8-10hrs.
Everyone was energetic and friendly
Sales Associate, retail (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2016
This was a co-op job placement, everyday I would help unload the trucks and clean the changing rooms, help the costumers as well as other employees whom needed it.
The hardest part about this job was not knowing where the clothes went in the store, for the beginning of the time that I've worked there. Though I caught on fast.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with new people everyday, getting to know all the other employees and my boss.
Acceptance
Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Scarborough, OntarioJuly 31, 2015
While working at H&M, I found that management was not doing their jobs correctly. I worked retail for many years and I've never experience something like this before. It is very catty, unreliable, unprofessional, and unjustified at times. Management plays favourites which is absolutely uncalled for. They are also very manipulative and would rather give you bad advice rather than help you.

The only thing I liked at my store was the people! My co-workers tried their very best to stay together and help each other when needed. The hardest part of my job, was literally all the stress that was constantly being pushed out in the work environment.
Productive, busy workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Accessories Visual (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 8, 2016
Pros: Good, flexible hours
Cons: A few long-term employees, who weren't very welcoming, nor willing to help out when you are new and didn't know what to do.
Always busy;n always something that needed to be done. Never had time to be bored. Management could have been better in the sense of distributing hours and having more people working at peak hours, but overall an understanding bunch.
Fast paced, retail
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 13, 2015
At the time I was working there it was unbearable to work there because half the management were absolutely rude and took on favourites.
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Pickering, ONFebruary 5, 2016
H&M provides an atmosphere that is enjoyable and gives you the hands-on-training whenever required. You have the ability to learn something new everyday with supportive co-workers and managers. The best feeling is helping a customer out and hearing appreciation from them.
Headquarters