H&M Employee Reviews

Welcoming
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC10 February 2017
All staff were welcoming and very professional. Management showed great organization and were very understanding to all their employees.
Pros
Staff parties
Amazing employer!
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Canada10 February 2017
A great company to work, where the opportunities are endless. The workdays are always different, with new challenges and learnings. To top off the great work environment, the benefits are great! I would recommend H&M to anyone looking to get into the fashion business.
Pros
Fast paced, challenging, great benefits, great opportunities
Cons
requires someone who can handle heavy work load and fast pace environment
H&m
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
an amazing atmosphere with great regular customers.Management was amazing and constantly would push us to hit better sales goals which i greatly appreciated as I enjoyed the challenge.We would often deal with angry customers but I never let it bother me as I take very few things personally.Overall a great experience and company to work for.
Pros
employee discounts on new clothing
Cons
the hours were never set, it was basically on call or whenever they desperately needed someone.
Unethical, Unprofressional and Abusive Workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2017
Bullying, Poor Communication, Low Pay/High Work Load, Unethical Shift Hours.

This company is good at marketing their work place but the management at this particular store is very unethical. The turnover rate is extremely high and the people who have quit have all experienced this. I just want to highlight my points so people applying can read about what goes on here. I left my job there due to these circumstances and stand by all these observations.

Managers belittle other managers to employees, managers talk down upon other employees to employees. This creates a culture of negative gossip in which employees will want to befriend the managers in order to not be bullied. This also creates a culture of fraternization. Respecting the power figures is of certain importance, any feedback is met with no changes what so ever.

Pay is minimum wage. You are on your feet your entire shift, breaks are frowned upon you can get between 4-9 hr shifts. Be prepared to be standing this long as well as running around. The job itself as expected is doing cash, customer service, processing shipments and putting out new clothes. Your functions will change every hour. Some days you will not get a break, you could be working until midnight and work at 7am the next day. This is EXPECTED. You are expected to work these types of hours for minimum wage. You will notice there is little to no consistency with the management, most will do whatever they want, this confuses employees on what the standard operating procedures actually should be creating a really difficult environment as there's no
  more... real direction, especially with managers talking badly about other managers.

Part time employees do most of the work for minimum wage and there isn't enough of them. Managers are paid well with benefits. However the environment at my store was extremely toxic. I think the company has a good direction but they do not have the right people executing it at certain locations.

If you are a looking for a part time job I would look elsewhere, it's marketed as a "fun job" but there's virtually no fun involved. You are expected to work in silence some days for increased productivity. Missed breaks happen often, long hours with incomprehensible tasks. A task may be to clean an entire department by yourself, help customers, do cash, and expect everything to look according to standard by the end of the night without help from others. Customers will clearly note there isn't enough people. If the company thinks this produces productivity that's up to them but everyone else can be the judge of that. Don't be deceived by their marketing, behind the scenes it's not well run. Lack of training in managing people as well as human resources is quickly seen.
Pros
Friendy co workers, Clothing discount
Cons
Bad management, low wage, unethical practices
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 January 2017
Very fun place to work, co workers are hard working and make you feel right at home. The job as a whole is a great experience where you get to meet new and interesting people everyday and get a head start on new and trendy fashion styles.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
H&M is a great place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 January 2017
Productivity in the store was above average.
The work environment changes every week and have to be ready for whatever comes your way.
The people you work with are absolutely genuine and great.
It has its ups and downs but overall its a great place to work.
Pros
Dynamic workers and great work environment
Cons
Short hours, management needs work, and policies are iffy
fun place to work
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2017
learned to properly take care of your clothing and give a sense of style to your wardrobe. management was ok, some of them was the best in the world and others would be rude and not be very professional. but the good out weighed the bad.
Pros
20% discount, good experience
Cons
short hours, always on call
Management and coworkers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
People you work with at H&M give you a positive vibe, family feeling. The management's work ethic is great. Customers may get a little hectic, but nothing that cant be managed.
Fun Work Place
Stock Associate/Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 December 2016
Management team played a good role in helping people feel welcomed to the team in the beginning. Work Ethic was good along with how they treated their staff.
Very productive and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Maintains promotional database by inputting invoice and bill-back data.
Updates managers by consolidating, analyzing, and forwarding daily action summaries.
Resolves order and inventory problems by investigating data and history; identifying alternate means for filling orders; notifying managers and customers.
Resolves promotional allowance, rebate, and pricing discrepancies by researching promotion details and regular and special prices; forwarding resolution to managers.
Provides product, promotion, and pricing information by clarifying customer request; selecting appropriate information; forwarding information; answering questions.
Pros
a lot of hours
Cons
Fashion Consultant ( Trained in London ) (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON16 November 2016
I learnt lots of thing , that help me to grow in future .Good working culture nice to work in a different environment.working with h&m change my life and make me learn new thing that devlop my skill and polish my skill.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
Less customer service
a good start to a retail career
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario11 November 2016
good starting point
learned a alot about the retail industry and and visual merchandising.
that customers are great and my co workers were good as well.
Fun Staff/Management!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 October 2016
Great place to work so far, excellent staff and management.
When starting, there is a bit of a learning curve because of the product knowledge being so complex; however the management and training program is very helpful.
Pros
Great Staff
Micromanagment Exemplified
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
Watch your back here, the knives are very sharp and quick to cut. That is for most, unless you're one of the chosen few who are favourites of the country manager.

Pay is ok, you'll work incredible hours and don't expect recognition unless you're in the favourites crowd.

Be sure to copy your manager on everything, just so they "can protect you". That's really code for not having a trusting environment where tasks can be delegated. The theme is manage the bejeezus out of anyone who might report to you and then spin their reporting if it's hurting your department, aka throw everyone under the bus.

Supplier relationships are fleeting, give H&M what they want for the cheapest price possible and they'll still add more work for the supplier at the supplier's cost.
Pros
Might get weekends off
Cons
extremely long hours, micromanagement style
Productive & Fun Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON25 September 2016
Everyone is friendly at work, on weekdays it's not as bad. But weekends can be stressful, especially if your closing. Other than that, its great, I'm really bummed that I have to quit soon.
Pros
25% discount on all items purchased at any H&M.
Cons
Closing the store can be quite stressful at times.
Need more staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 September 2016
Certain locations are probably worse to work for than others. My specific locations had us closing our store at 9pm yet being there until almost 1am to clean.

Management showed little interest in the associates well-being. I ha a mannequin fall on my foot and a report was not written. When I went to call in sick the next day, there was attitude given towards me as well as the manager pretending they weren't aware of the incident.

Labour cost is so important to these companies that when employees are overworked to keep it low rather than having a larger team to help, no one cares. It's unfortunate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff, overworked
Fun place to work but not good work life balance
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
Love the staff, benefits are great, pay is okay but not what you would expect. The downside is the balance between work and personal life.
Positive and fun workplace filled with young inspiring individuals
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 August 2016
Do you want a cool, upbeat, modern place to work? Look no further, as the management will include you right away no matter what age group you belong in.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Very busy
Sociable but intense atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 August 2016
A typical day at work meant a lot of opportunities to improve the general ambiance of the store. However, this was often hard to do because of the constant calling out of fellow coworkers. The traffic of the store was intense and called on more hours from the younger employees. The lighting and air conditioning made working conditions strenuous, and thus socializing with customers was limited. Although management provided many benefits with conversion expertise, it was still difficult communicating with the team in an effective and fluid manner. Lastly, the hiring manager was forthcoming and extremely professional. In fact this is what made work so particularly enjoyable and productive.
Pros
Discounts and gatherings
Cons
Long hours that extended training limits and reduced the effectivity of clocking start-end times.
fun place to work with an excellent place to grow
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 August 2016
-management was awesome and very organized
-co-workers all got along. no drama
-lots of opportunities
-super fun and positive environment
-big store so lots to clean
-very fast pace