H&M Employee Reviews

Need more staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 3, 2016
Certain locations are probably worse to work for than others. My specific locations had us closing our store at 9pm yet being there until almost 1am to clean.

Management showed little interest in the associates well-being. I ha a mannequin fall on my foot and a report was not written. When I went to call in sick the next day, there was attitude given towards me as well as the manager pretending they weren't aware of the incident.

Labour cost is so important to these companies that when employees are overworked to keep it low rather than having a larger team to help, no one cares. It's unfortunate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, lack of staff, overworked
Sociable but intense atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work meant a lot of opportunities to improve the general ambiance of the store. However, this was often hard to do because of the constant calling out of fellow coworkers. The traffic of the store was intense and called on more hours from the younger employees. The lighting and air conditioning made working conditions strenuous, and thus socializing with customers was limited. Although management provided many benefits with conversion expertise, it was still difficult communicating with the team in an effective and fluid manner. Lastly, the hiring manager was forthcoming and extremely professional. In fact this is what made work so particularly enjoyable and productive.
Pros
Discounts and gatherings
Cons
Long hours that extended training limits and reduced the effectivity of clocking start-end times.
Productive & Fun Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ONSeptember 25, 2016
Everyone is friendly at work, on weekdays it's not as bad. But weekends can be stressful, especially if your closing. Other than that, its great, I'm really bummed that I have to quit soon.
Pros
25% discount on all items purchased at any H&M.
Cons
Closing the store can be quite stressful at times.
Fun, Caring Community, Leaders
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Downtown TorontoApril 16, 2016
H&M had a lot to offer. Great opportunities to become a leader and to be and individual.Loving/caring Management and co-workers.Best part about working at H&M is that you always felt included and proud to work with people who are just as hard working as you are. Worst part about working at H&M is that sometimes you receive really short hours E.g 3-4 hrs and sometimes really long hours E.g 8-10hrs.
Pros
Getting paid on your Birthday without having to work
Cons
Really short or really long hours
Productive environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
H&M has always been one of my favourite clothing stores. Working for the company was definitely a worthwhile experience. I got the chance to learn a lot about fashion trends, and also to see how fashion is influenced by different cultures. It's a great company, and I would definitely consider going back.
Productive, busy workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Accessories Visual (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2016
Always busy;n always something that needed to be done. Never had time to be bored. Management could have been better in the sense of distributing hours and having more people working at peak hours, but overall an understanding bunch.
Pros
Good, flexible hours
Cons
A few long-term employees, who weren't very welcoming, nor willing to help out when you are new and didn't know what to do.
Fun workplace
Vendeur conseil (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCApril 23, 2016
I worked at H&M for approximatively 6 months, and I loved it ! I love the rotation shifts. That is every hour you get to do something different. One hour you might be in the fits, while the other hour you're at cash. The best part of my work were my co-workers. We formed a great team. The management was awesome as well ! H&M taught me how to multitask and work under pressure. It is super fast-spaced environnement, be aware ! At first, it was hard for me to adjust, but after a while you get the hang of it. I enjoyed the fact that time flew super quickly and that there's always something do to. Unfortunately, I had to quit as I am getting into university and have to find something that pays more to cover my tuition. Also, the dead season is quite intense.. from january to march you practically get no hours.. I had like 8 hours a week... lol you do the math....
Pros
Gift-card, managers, co-workers
Cons
pay, dead season
How I like to work at H&M
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anjou, QCApril 1, 2016
H&M encourages teamwork and we help each other and communicate efficiently with one another to meet the goal of the day. We are also encourage to work independently meaning to take our own initiatives and own decision regarding a situation or a problem. I work with a smile on my face everyday and I make sure to give a great customer service to each of my customers. I am the one responsible for everything concerning my department, which is the MEN department.

My co-workers and managers are fantastic. I've never been close to my managers and store manager ever! We all care about each other even though we are different. the dynamic is great and I like to come in to work everyday because at H&M, you are never alone.
Pros
fun and fashionable work environment, positive attitude
Cons
no fixed schedule
H&M is the place of possible!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONJuly 2, 2016
first joining H&M i wasn't sure on what H&M was all about. H&M is the place of possible, the acceptance of everyone associated with H&M is humbling. the ethics of the company is something everyone should live by!
Pros
the people!
Cons
could be repetitive work
Amazing company to work for
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 10, 2016
As a company H&M is always trying to ensure it is a rewarding workplace. They provide a great salary, are willing to work with your schedule and amazing opportunities to grow with the company..and you always get paid for your birthday!
Job is fun and easy, but management needs serious work
Sales Advisor, Responsible (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 31, 2016
I worked at H&M for a 18 months. There were many things I enjoyed about this job - co-workers, location, ease of job, even the staff meetings were fun. What I didn't like, and what ultimately made me quit, was the in-office politics and gossip mill. Many times, this also included the managers talking behind employees' backs, not taking their employees' opinions into consideration, and acting selfish and immature. When this issue was raised with Canada's head office, they didn't even seem to bat an eye. The issues remained unresolved while I was working there. Hopefully now they have been, because if management wises up, I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work.
Pros
discounts, enjoyable work, easy, options for advancement, lots of free food
Cons
management, repetitive work
Positive and fun workplace filled with young inspiring individuals
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCAugust 13, 2016
Do you want a cool, upbeat, modern place to work? Look no further, as the management will include you right away no matter what age group you belong in.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Very busy
Head Office doesn't make crucial decisions
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QCMarch 15, 2016
There was many issues with regards to a manager and few workers. Head office realized the issue, visited on multiple occasions and got letters from every single employee. Nothing was done in a span of almost 2 years. The schedules are changed without any let alone, proper notice. They mix complaints, reviews and surveys and have no care for employee opinion, beyond the scope of making it seem like they do with "useless" questionnaires that reached no one and resolved nothing.
productive and fun
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 25, 2016
Team work oriented
learn to cope with highly intense situations i.e. holiday rush hours
the management is very laid back and easy to talk to but always make sure the company is operating well.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
strenuous
longterm employment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 6, 2016
things started out great, but eventually it gets a little stale. You do the same thing constantly. Too much focus on profits instead of on growth and 'fun' of job.
Pros
salary, job security
Cons
expanded too fast, lack of talented workers
fun place to work with an excellent place to grow
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 3, 2016
-management was awesome and very organized
-co-workers all got along. no drama
-lots of opportunities
-super fun and positive environment
-big store so lots to clean
-very fast pace
Everyone was energetic and friendly
Sales Associate, retail (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2016
This was a co-op job placement, everyday I would help unload the trucks and clean the changing rooms, help the costumers as well as other employees whom needed it.
The hardest part about this job was not knowing where the clothes went in the store, for the beginning of the time that I've worked there. Though I caught on fast.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with new people everyday, getting to know all the other employees and my boss.
H&m
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 25, 2016
It's a positive environment, a safe place to work, h&m is like a small family and just overall an amazing place to work. A normal day would be a 10 hour shift but the plus side to that would be an hour break and then a 15 minute paid break.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not a great place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 24, 2016
Had been with Company for 9 yrs for the last 6 months we had been without a store manager and were expected to do the job often would come in on my own time to catch up on stuff as time was not allocated and often went 7 or more weeks without getting a proper weekend off .

The Salary was good as were Vacation time and benefits

time allocation to get truck done and other things was not realistic

Upper Management playing favourites and only furthering careers if your face fit

Loved how they embraced Conscious actions definitely a plus and was trained in first aid WSIB
Some upper management HR and Security very good at their Job ! Area Manager not so much he is very condescending plays favourites and often is not in the same mindset as the rest of the area team and will contradict many routines often mocked by his peers behind his back

Country Manager is amazing ! She will roll up her sleeves and is not afraid of hard work
Pros
benefits vacations and pay
Cons
coming in on day off to work for free many weeks without weekend off stress
Fast Pace Environment with Awesome Management and Co-Workers
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 20, 2016
Its a fast pace environment where you have to deal with be able to multi-task between helping customers, putting clothes away, being on cash and being in the fitting rooms. The management team is awesome and are always available to help support staff when they need assistance. The co-workers are very helpful and we all support and rely on each other, its a very fun work environment but you know when you have to be serious in order to get the work done.
Pros
25% staff discount
Cons
Fast pace